Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256560 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#225225 Apr 17, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
All three of them?
Yes, all three. They're outdated and divisive. These too....
godchecker.com
JMHO

Religion = superstition

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#225226 Apr 17, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Science indeed requires evidence, without the empirical , mathematical , audible or other verifiable evidence , there is nothing scientific about it.
You can ask a question that cannot be answered, and make hypothesis of anything, but without any evidence you cannot make determination and the question remains without any answer. So you see science is the gathering of empirical and other physical evidence, which without there can be no answer to the question.
That's what I said.
Science is a method and system which searches for empirical evidence to prove or disprove a hypothesis.
The hypothesis comes first, not the evidence. If no "empirical" evidence is then found to support the hypothesis, then it simply means that no "empirical" evidence was found using THAT particular experiment. You appear to think that means science proved something does not exist, when all it really means is that one particular experiment failed to produce possible expected results.
When scientists set out to prove a particular hypothesis, they set up experiments using tools and other trappings designed to "find" empirical evidence that they can measure in a tangible way. If their tools and approach are incapable of producing any "empirical" evidence, does that mean there actually is no evidence ... or ... merely a lack of ability to perceive or capture "empirical" evidence because the tools and/or approach used were incapable of detecting it in a way that the scientists would accept as "real"?
Anyone who puts all their faith in a single system and method to find truth, and that single system has it's own flaws and inabilities, is someone who is missing out on all that their system misses and fails to "find".
Clearwater

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#225227 Apr 17, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>Your death threat is duly noted.
Just another day with folks that have the far superior humanism on display here.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225228 Apr 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. So you're the one atheist that admits atheism can drive a person's ideals.
The other atheists are going to have a problem with that.
Your reading comprehension is terrible. Of course, Jethro, I'd bet you can cipher through the aughts at least.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225229 Apr 17, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
So basically it's worse than doing nothing.
Ugh. Rapture already, it'd be nice if they'd just let the rest of us be in the meantime.
They view us as their "victims" one moment then cry persecution the next.
There are no redeeming qualities in christianity at all.
I agree to an extent. While the weekly meetings can have some benefit, they usually turn into gossip and power fests, which are demonstrably harmful and the reason for the over 40,000 sects and schisms of their immoral dogma.
Clearwater

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#225230 Apr 17, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. You've really been forced into the closet.
Oh, puh-lease.
No what I'm saying is two faced people that often claim to stand for equal protection don't do so for Christians. Some time back my wife and friends were sharing the gospel in public. Short time latter a cop told them to leave. They contacted a Christian lawyer and were back the next day at it.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225231 Apr 17, 2014
Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong. He makes it clear he has problems with God and Christians. In fact he's very vocal about it. Must have missed Obama's speech where he said we need fewer incendiary words.
You want to suckle Obama's frenulum, don't you? You're obsessed. Will your beard allow it?
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225232 Apr 17, 2014
Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Just another day with folks that have the far superior humanism on display here.
Not getting regular cocky is making you bitter. Time for a cruise. Get your heads on "straight".

Location hidden

#225233 Apr 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't think Santa OR Christmas OR Valentine's Day should be promoted at public schools?
I got to ask, what holidays would you promote at a public school?
Spring Break and Summer Vacation?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#225234 Apr 17, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Progress.
Exactly. Religions and churches have a sad history of obstruction and ignorance from Galileo to campaigns against science supportive of evolution
http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encycloped...
and the concoction of ID and Creationism.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#225235 Apr 17, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Only the parts they don't like.
Exactly. To be fair, it's impossible not to cherry-pick the Bible, but still, at least own up to it.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#225236 Apr 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says one sect can possibly fully know God?
I didn't ask that. Are you saying that no Christian sect is correct?
Saying 'nope' is not a reasoned answer. I am in your head.
Nope, not projection.
Saying "nope" is a perfectly reasoned and accurate answer to the claim that you are in my head. Because you aren't. Back on your meds KiMare.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225237 Apr 17, 2014
Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>No what I'm saying is two faced people that often claim to stand for equal protection don't do so for Christians. Some time back my wife and friends were sharing the gospel in public. Short time latter a cop told them to leave. They contacted a Christian lawyer and were back the next day at it.
Bull.

Location hidden

#225238 Apr 17, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Progress.
Interesting.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#225239 Apr 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Death.
Nothing more.
To be discarded like a broken radio.
OK, morning break for the Redneck.

Next is lunch hour at the plant.

Yeah, dude, you really do have it made.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#225240 Apr 17, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I got thrown out of US history in high school. They graduated me even though it was a mandatory credit.
Know why I got thrown out?
Because I knew it was all bullshit.
I find now, that I actually enjoy history to an extent.
Know why?
Because it's possible to find out the REAL stories now.
It's certainly not the virtuous history of heroes taught in high school.
The history I'm referring to is written in black ink on white parchment by the original authors.

Nice try.

Location hidden

#225241 Apr 17, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Come at me, bro. You silly internet tough guys are a hoot.
Come at you?

If I came at you, your ass would be whipped on less ground than it takes you to shit on.

I'm not an internet tough guy. I've done time for being what I claim to be.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#225242 Apr 17, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
Your reading comprehension is terrible. Of course, Jethro, I'd bet you can cipher through the aughts at least.
Oh?

I asked you what hope atheism gives you.

You replied; "It brings me hope that people will abandon silly superstition and embrace reality."

Then I commented on how you're that atheist that admits atheist can be a motivator.

How am I reading that wrong?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#225243 Apr 17, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
That makes your current life a waste, doesn't it.
Current life?

Compared to what?

Location hidden

#225244 Apr 17, 2014
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly. Religions and churches have a sad history of obstruction and ignorance from Galileo to campaigns against science supportive of evolution
http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encycloped...
and the concoction of ID and Creationism.
You don't know what ID is. You know less than zero about it. If you had never heard of the term, you would be more knowledgeable about it than you are now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 5 min woodtick57 21,158
A Universe from Nothing? 23 min Into The Night 538
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 27 min THE LONE WORKER 43,214
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 42 min Patrick 465
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 49 min Patrick 18,563
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr ChristineM 3,845
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 1 hr ChristineM 752
More from around the web