Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258451 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225185 Apr 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay good, so you understand what hope it is.
What hope does atheism bring you?
You've moved the goalposts.

It brings me hope that people will abandon silly superstition and embrace reality. But, atheism is not what you are defining it. What hope does theism bring you? Pie in the sky, wishy-wish dreams that your 24-7 *sshole proselytizing on Topix will reward you with a boring, eternal existence in some imaginary place free of will and Topix. You'll go bonkers. Remember, a billion years in and you're not even halfway there.

You're scares sh*tless of dying. Your fragile ego can't imagine and end to your existence. That is not hope, that is ludicrous fear.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#225186 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are admitting recapitulation theory is false, then saying it is true.
Brilliant.
No that isn't what I wrote, what was written was Haeckel drawings are useful in teaching comparative and developmental biology, but his recapitulation theory is false,
"Otherwise put, recapitulation theory with each successive stage in the development of an individual represents one of the adult forms that appeared in its evolutionary history"
The above is false
"Darwin's view, that early embryonic stages are similar to the same embryonic stage of related species but not to the adult stages of these species, has been confirmed by modern evolutionary developmental biology"
The above is true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recapitulation_t...
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225187 Apr 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
When I realized that men are much more superior to women, my misogyny blossomed...
You spend 24-7 on Topix and claim superiority to women, women like:

Amelia Earhart

Cleopatra

Joan of Arc

Pocahontas

Deborah Sampson

Molly Pitcher

Sacagawea

Harriet Stowe

Lucy Stone

Harriet Tubman

Elizabeth Blackwell

Susie Taylor

Charlotte Ray

Nellie Bly

Marie Curie

Margaret Mead

Rosa Parks

India Gandhi

Sandra Day O'Conner

Hillary Clinton

Sally Ride

Hookay, Sparky. Is there any part of life that you are not delusional about?
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#225188 Apr 17, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
No that isn't what I wrote, what was written was Haeckel drawings are useful in teaching comparative and developmental biology, but his recapitulation theory is false,
"Otherwise put, recapitulation theory with each successive stage in the development of an individual represents one of the adult forms that appeared in its evolutionary history"
The above is false
"Darwin's view, that early embryonic stages are similar to the same embryonic stage of related species but not to the adult stages of these species, has been confirmed by modern evolutionary developmental biology"
The above is true.
You know these idiots are backed into a corner when they misrepresent your words.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#225189 Apr 17, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you all need to thank god out loud? To outdo each other? To make each other feel better about talking to yourselves?
Your attitude towards the atheist is directly against what your alleged jesus! god(?) supposedly taught, in more ways than one and it is also a common and expected christian attitude.
"Who cares about our god given free will, we will impose our will on others and they can just deal with it!"
- christians
You'll understand, of course, why we won't respect your religion. Ever.
I'll keep avoiding your irrelevantly inane question.
Praying out loud equals imposing will? Are you really that pissed off at Christians?!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#225190 Apr 17, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Aahhhh...
You should tell the pope. I don't think he knows that.
I tried, but I don't speak Italian...

&sn s=em

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#225191 Apr 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, we've heard all this. But what about the fake drawings from Haeckel? Their still being published in biology books today.
http://www.google.com/imgres ...
Even though they've been debunked for a long, long time.
I'd say for shit like that, science doesn't require any evidence, it's just a popularity contest.
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Haeckel's drawings exaggerate the mimicking of other species, and do not explain what it really means. But he used them to support his theory of recapitulation, which was wrong.
This does not render his drawings from making a point of comparative biology, where embryos do in fact resemble each other at certain developmental stages .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =uAZmLYWEPGkXX
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13278255
The above unique time-lapse video shows the face developing from a one-month-old embryo to an age of 10 weeks.
The early human embryo looks very similar to the embryo of any other mammal, bird or amphibian - all of which have evolved from fish.
Evolution Genetics Embryo's and our Common Ancestor's
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
So are Haeckel's drawings fakes or not? You're kind of saying they are both.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#225192 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are admitting recapitulation theory is false, then saying it is true.
Brilliant.
They are real fakes...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#225193 Apr 17, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Spring Break is a holiday? We don't recognize Washington's Birthday in schools, already.
My kids got an entire week off for Washington's Birthday.

Try again.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#225194 Apr 17, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>You've moved the goalposts.
It brings me hope that people will abandon silly superstition and embrace reality. But, atheism is not what you are defining it. What hope does theism bring you? Pie in the sky, wishy-wish dreams that your 24-7 *sshole proselytizing on Topix will reward you with a boring, eternal existence in some imaginary place free of will and Topix. You'll go bonkers. Remember, a billion years in and you're not even halfway there.
You're scares sh*tless of dying. Your fragile ego can't imagine and end to your existence. That is not hope, that is ludicrous fear.
Oh. So you're the one atheist that admits atheism can drive a person's ideals.

The other atheists are going to have a problem with that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#225195 Apr 17, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>You spend 24-7 on Topix and claim superiority to women, women like:
Amelia Earhart
Cleopatra
Joan of Arc
Pocahontas
Deborah Sampson
Molly Pitcher
Sacagawea
Harriet Stowe
Lucy Stone
Harriet Tubman
Elizabeth Blackwell
Susie Taylor
Charlotte Ray
Nellie Bly
Marie Curie
Margaret Mead
Rosa Parks
India Gandhi
Sandra Day O'Conner
Hillary Clinton
Sally Ride
Hookay, Sparky. Is there any part of life that you are not delusional about?
Yes.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#225196 Apr 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I tried, but I don't speak Italian...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =9JhuOicPFZYXX&sns=em
First, the current Pope's first language is Spanish.

Besides, he speaks better English than you.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#225197 Apr 17, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>In fact, intercessory prayer has been proven as harmful to the "victim".

BOSTON, MA-March 31, 2006-For those facing surgery or battling disease, the prayers of others can be a comfort. Researchers in the Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer (STEP), the largest study to examine the effects of intercessory prayer-prayer provided by others-evaluated the impact of such prayer on patients recovering from coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery.

The STEP team, composed of investigators at six academic medical centers, including Baptist Memorial Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee; Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, Massachusetts; Integris Baptist Medical Center in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota; St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Florida; Washington Hospital Center in Washington, D.C; and the Mind/Body Medical Institute, found that intercessory prayer had no effect on recovery from surgery without complications. The study also found that patients who knew they were receiving intercessory prayer fared worse. The paper appears in the April issue of American Heart Journal.

http://web.med.harvard.edu/sites/RELEASES/htm...

It puts stress on people when the pious band about them and wield their piety. There may be some merit to personal prayer, like meditation has merit, but making a public spectacle for others is demonstrably ineffective and demonstrably harmful.
So basically it's worse than doing nothing.

Ugh. Rapture already, it'd be nice if they'd just let the rest of us be in the meantime.

They view us as their "victims" one moment then cry persecution the next.

There are no redeeming qualities in christianity at all.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#225198 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>People who believed in God and rights derived from creation by God founded and preserved a nation for you to live free in.

I hope you don't mind the interference with your life.
Massacred millions and stole their land you mean. What lovely christians.

Your nation is not free.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#225199 Apr 17, 2014
Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Aw what you are saying is you're fine with us as long as we stay in the closet. Yea that's not going to happen in a free nation with equality for ALL.
Yeah. You've really been forced into the closet.

Oh, puh-lease.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#225200 Apr 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>People who believed in God and rights derived from creation by God founded and preserved a nation for you to live free in.

I hope you don't mind the interference with your life.
Rights derived from creation by god....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh.

You were being serious.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#225201 Apr 17, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Spring Break is a holiday? We don't recognize Washington's Birthday in schools, already.
My kids get Good Friday off.

Public school, too.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#225202 Apr 17, 2014
Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Pure lies. I do know a guy that could work but would rather sit on his rear fleecing the tax payers. No shock he worships Obama. He and others like him in this nation are why others that actually are needy have less. Don't know how he lives with himself.
And why don't you go ask him if he is a Christian? Odd are, he is.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#225203 Apr 17, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The above is false
The above is true.
That says nothing. Things are similar. Big deal.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#225204 Apr 17, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Rights derived from creation by god....
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Oh.
You were being serious.
Yeah. Here's some more chuckles for you. Pick up a history book.

"... to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them,..."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 min IB DaMann 67,568
Where have all the Atheists gone? 1 hr Sceptical-Mal 14
News Unholy? Atheists should embrace the science of ... 4 hr wondering 10
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 8 hr Eagle 12 28,712
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 8 hr Eagle 12 3,559
is it ever right to hate Christians as a group? Apr 25 superwilly 21
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Apr 25 superwilly 462
More from around the web