Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258040 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#224321 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>Here how to tell if you are unhinged ....People who subscribe to conspiracy theories ....tend , to subscribe to a lot of them ...
Let me guess contrails ...are bad...yes...?
what conspiracy, I just stated facts.

question
Was there or was there not a 90's think tank led by Bill Kristol called Project for a New American Century?

Did they or did they not advocate for using the U.S. military to force regime change in Iraq?

(Regime change a euphemism for armed invasion)

Did they or did they not put forth the idea that since we were the last remaining superpower we should take advantage of that and use our military to influence world affairs more directly ?

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/arti...

https://www.google.com/search...

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Project_...

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/arti...

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/pdf/...

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#224322 Apr 13, 2014
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
you totally misunderstand the relationship. Atheism doesn't equal intelligence, its simply a matter of cause and effect.
The higher your IQ, the more educated you are, the more likely you abandon ancient mythological beliefs/fairy tales.
Religion helped mankind explain the unknown. The more we learn about the universe, nature and science, the less we need religion.
"When I grew up, I put away childish things."
O G Kusf

United States

#224323 Apr 13, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep.
And the sad thing is this: these idiots who believe in religion?
Are the ones the easiest to fool-- all the bought-and-paid-for politician has to do, to get the support of the religious, is to spout religious platitudes as loudly as is needed.
And the stupid and gullible (religious) suck that up like it was chocolate pudding... and vote the bought-and-paid-for back into office again and again.
... meh.
"You don't talk about the spherical earth with NASA and then say let's give equal time to the flat earthers."

Neil Degrasse Tyson...
astrophysicist - after creationist groups demanded airtime on his new space science program, Cosmos

Organized religion is so palpably stupid it's unbelievable anybody buys into it in this age!

According to Christianity, uncle Adolf could've said " I'm sorry please forgive me" and the pearly gates will be opened.

Like I said before - stupid
O G Kusf

United States

#224324 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>It's called responsibility ....if on a camping trip and a bear starts mauling a perfect stranger and you happen to packing heat ....are , you really going to sit this one out ..??
Hey , the bear is one of Gods creatures and it's got eat too ..America has the wherewithal and military capabilities to do things no other nation on Earth is capable of ...if , we lived in a different country I would wholeheartedly agree with you " none of our business " , but America.... I don't believe non-involvement is an option ...
When the Russians and Chinese suddenly become "responsible "what will be your statement then?

“"None shall pass"”

There

#224325 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>....Every child is exposed to some sort of religious foundation as a child ....are , you insinuating that that foundation can never be rejected ...?
Hitler never has written or mentioned ' Christ '....that , he might mention God , big whup politicians lie to get what they want .
Mao and Stalin and Pot ....were Marxists , do Marxists accept the existence of a Creator ..
How do you equate an economic philosophy to religion ?

"Do Capitalists accept the existence of a Creator."

“"None shall pass"”

There

#224326 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Pure speculation.
Dismissed as such.
Thanks for proving his point.

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#224327 Apr 13, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>

Saddam's attempt to instantiate oil trade in other than American dollars , was the straw that broke the camels back..
..Idiocy....only stupid people believe this ...

What medium would Saddam use ..??...The Euro , Europe is much too unstable no one would use it ....the Yuan , as if the Chinese would ever allow their currency to be put on the worlds market , they would lose total control of its price ...

Saddam a tin pot dictator ...was all bluster , and you know it . There's no way he could made the smallest dent in the way the world trades in petrodollars ..

The Gulf War began when Iraq moved its armor towards the Saudi oil fields ...and , for no other reason ...

Las Vegas, NV

#224328 Apr 13, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you equate an economic philosophy to religion ?
"Do Capitalists accept the existence of a Creator."
..Marxism and Communism aren't the same thing .....nice dodge though ...In future , if don't know go ahead and say you don't know ..

Capitalism seems to thrive in the Christian heritage nations ...so , I'll with an affirmative ...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#224329 Apr 13, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
"When I grew up, I put away childish things."
Out of context, you can make that mean whatever you want. That's your MO, Ben.

Here it is IN context:

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

---

Paul was illustrating growth and maturity towards Jesus, not away from Him.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#224330 Apr 13, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for proving his point.
In what way do you think I proved his point?
O G Kush

United States

#224331 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>....Every child is exposed to some sort of religious foundation as a child ....are , you insinuating that that foundation can never be rejected ...?
Hitler never has written or mentioned ' Christ '....that , he might mention God , big whup politicians lie to get what they want .
Mao and Stalin and Pot ....were Marxists , do Marxists accept the existence of a Creator ..
Wrong, I wasn't exposed to religions.

I paid little attention to them until 9/11.

Who cares what anyone thinks about creators?
I certainly don't I have better things to do!

Based on this forum title - this was my first comment.

The position of the atheist is that the theist has not successfully met his or her burden of proof.

Proof, with regard to gods rests solely with the side claiming their existence.

When phrased to focus on faith, the claim typically centers on a fundamental misunderstanding of the meaning of atheism.

They have erroneously convinced themselves that atheism means absolute certainty that no gods exist.

They reason that to be absolutely certain without proof is a form of faith.

Atheism is not about certainty at all; it is about doubt.
Campbell

Kingston, TN

#224332 Apr 13, 2014
O G Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to inform you dipstick but this god of yours is the greatest mass murder of all time... and he enjoys it!
A god so inept and useless he can't even get a creation correct without destroying it all starting over again.
No doubt all the other gods are still laughing at this major mistake!
This reminds me of building a model ship putting glue on a piece but touching it up against the wrong part, then descending into a fit of childish anger and destroying the entire model.
I do believe there's a caveat to this something about "mysterious ways"
Yeah they should look around at the discrimination, mistreatment, starvation, wars and outright murders and give their god a little blame instead of worship. An office temp with a bad attitude could do a better job.
O G Kush

United States

#224333 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..Marxism and Communism aren't the same thing .....nice dodge though ...In future , if don't know go ahead and say you don't know ..
Capitalism seems to thrive in the Christian heritage nations ...so , I'll with an affirmative ...
Capitalism ain't doing to bad in China either!

Oddly the last time I looked China was not a Christian nation (former godless communists)

But there's a rumor Confucius has refused to give advice.

So let's give our Chinese neighbors 10 more years and see where the money trail leads them.

Las Vegas, NV

#224334 Apr 13, 2014
O G Kusf wrote:
<quoted text>
When the Russians and Chinese suddenly become "responsible "what will be your statement then?
....They should ...I applaud Chinese and Russian warship patrolling the coast of the Horn of Africa ...

And , when Russia's ice breaker came to the aid of my countrymen in a remote Alaskan village ...sure it was embarrassing ...but , catastrophe was avoided , and I am deeply grateful .

and , please don't insinuate Crimea is Russia being responsible , there was no upheaval no internecine violence ..it was a land grab ..

“"None shall pass"”

There

#224335 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>...
Capitalism seems to thrive in the Christian heritage nations .......
Like Saudi Arabia gives away oil.

ROFLMAO

“"None shall pass"”

There

#224336 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..Marxism and Communism aren't the same thing ......
The COMMUNIST Manifesto by Karl MARX and Friedrich Engles 1848:

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/61/pg61.h...

Las Vegas, NV

#224337 Apr 13, 2014
O G Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, I wasn't exposed to religions.
I paid little attention to them until 9/11.
Who cares what anyone thinks about creators?
I certainly don't I have better things to do!
Based on this forum title - this was my first comment.
The position of the atheist is that the theist has not successfully met his or her burden of proof.
Proof, with regard to gods rests solely with the side claiming their existence.
When phrased to focus on faith, the claim typically centers on a fundamental misunderstanding of the meaning of atheism.
They have erroneously convinced themselves that atheism means absolute certainty that no gods exist.
They reason that to be absolutely certain without proof is a form of faith.
Atheism is not about certainty at all; it is about doubt.
..Look , I don't really care to hear your life's story ...

And , yes you were exposed to religion ...your parents are Atheists ..but , you have grandparents and childhood friends whom you went to church with ....

I absolutely agree , Atheists can not prove God does not exist ..nor...can Theists give empirical proof that He does ....but , we can surmise .

Like all things , nothing is that simple a strong Atheist adamantly insists there is no God ..a weak Atheist doesn't believe in God either , but is too afraid to accept the burden of proof ..

an ,Agnostic ...is the dude with doubt .
O GZ Kush

United States

#224338 Apr 13, 2014
Campbell wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah they should look around at the discrimination, mistreatment, starvation, wars and outright murders and give their god a little blame instead of worship. An office temp with a bad attitude could do a better job.
Something else to consider about the creator...
In a word - disease

It must be amusing to play with his created toys!

After all he is the ultimate sadist voyeur - he see's what goes on in hell. So forgiveness really isn't his thing.

“Jon Snow”

Since: Dec 10

The King in the Nor±h

#224339 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..Idiocy....only stupid people believe this ...
What medium would Saddam use ..??...The Euro , Europe is much too unstable no one would use it ....the Yuan , as if the Chinese would ever allow their currency to be put on the worlds market , they would lose total control of its price ...
Saddam a tin pot dictator ...was all bluster , and you know it . There's no way he could made the smallest dent in the way the world trades in petrodollars ..
The Gulf War began when Iraq moved its armor towards the Saudi oil fields ...and , for no other reason ...
Iraq at the time had the second largest known amount of oil reserves , and is still considered this to some extent. Second to Saudi Arabia
Although it is now thought to be the or fifth largest total oil reserves due to the newest discoveries And Venezuela has pushed the Saudi fields to second place.
But in 1991 and 2000, this amount of money traded in euros infuriated both the UN and Washington. Make no mistake his move to cripple the dollar was the straw that broke the camels back. This same thing is what Iran is trying to do, forced to do so from the sanctions.
And now Russia, but there is yet another war over the dollar concerning oil trade, it's inevitable.

http://empirestrikesblack.com/2011/06/flashba...

http://www.globalpolicy.org/political-issues-...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countrie...

“"None shall pass"”

There

#224340 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>....They should ...I applaud Chinese and Russian warship patrolling the coast of the Horn of Africa ...
And , when Russia's ice breaker came to the aid of my countrymen in a remote Alaskan village ...sure it was embarrassing ...but , catastrophe was avoided , and I am deeply grateful .
and , please don't insinuate Crimea is Russia being responsible , there was no upheaval no internecine violence ..it was a land grab ..
When Saddam annexed Kuwait, the US went ballistic.

When Russia did the same thing to the Crimea, the US sat on its hands.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 min Chimney1 48,552
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 23 min Rings9780 21,867
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 1 hr JustASkeptic 17
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 6 hr Into The Night 23,503
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Dec 3 Eagle 12 4,907
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... Dec 2 Scaritual 14
Jesus Christ and Wisdom, Knowledge, Understandi... Nov 29 Richardfs 5
More from around the web