Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255965 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#223246 Apr 5, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Irrelevant.
Make your case.
Wrong. Why she was on the train tracks is very relevant. You can't just come up with a hypothetical situation that makes no sense whatsoever.

I asked for human unconditional love, not make-believe unconditional love.

Why was she on the tracks?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#223247 Apr 5, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
So I can walk into a Christian church and practice Satanism?
And the constitution will protect me, right?
That's right.

God Bless America.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#223248 Apr 5, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK Redneck.
I think you're ready.
You have my permission to practice a little auto-erotic crucifiction.
But stop yourself before your orgasm.
You don't want to prevent a life, you know.
According to the Topix Atheist!, sperm is life.

But a fetus isn't.

Go figure.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#223249 Apr 5, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
"Kill and disown mean the same thing" - RR
You are violent pervert and belong in prison or a mental ward.
You aren't educated or qualified to make that kind of determination.
IPSEC

Irving, TX

#223250 Apr 5, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
IPSEC wrote:
He says, "Dad, I'm 18 and haven't kissed a girl yet."
<quoted text>
Hey UndersideRedneck,
He just called your kid gay.
If you had read the preceding posts, you would know that.
It appears that this conversation is beyond your understanding.
I did. He asked, "What did one homo say to the other home?"

I wrote, "Hey, Dad, I'm 18 and I haven't kissed a girl yet!"

In fact, I called them both gay.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#223251 Apr 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
But a fetus isn't.
Go figure.
I know a guy who ran an abortion clinic.

His motto was, "No fetus can defeat us."

Now get up on that cross and fantasize abut 12-year-old Mary.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#223252 Apr 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
But a fetus isn't.
Go figure.
By that standard Catcher is surely a mass murderer.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#223253 Apr 5, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
By that standard Catcher is surely a mass murderer.
?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#223254 Apr 5, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>The BS is strong with you.
Thank you for sharing your opinion. You are so kind.[tipping hat]
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#223255 Apr 5, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Team? The character is a figure of your imagination. Oh, you silly, self-worshipping Christian. "You don't agree with me. You are on the side of evil". Blah, blah, blah, nonsense.
Thank you again for your opinion. You are so thoughtful.

[tipping hat]
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#223256 Apr 5, 2014
O G Bush wrote:
<quoted text>
What was this treasure. Paradise ?
A "Kingdom of God" as a physical place like our current Universe, but where everything is "Unified with God", and nothing ever suffers.
This idea is of course very familiar to Jehovas Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists and various other extremist Christian groups.
It is also completely and utterly illogical.
Any person capable of the most basic critical thinking should be able to see very easily that such an idea of a physical paradise where there is no suffering is a completely illogical concept.
Even if one accepts the mystical doctrine that "all is one", I still do not understand how it can work.
I would like to know how it is physically possible for a world with no suffering to exist. And I would specifically like to know whether carnivores would continue to eat herbivores, and how both could exist in a world with no suffering.
I am not interested in talking about metaphysics or fantasy-physics or any bald assertions about God.
I am interested in the logical consistency of claims about paradise.
I wonder whether 'the faithful ' have thought critically about the paradise they claim to offer, or whether all of their argumentation about physics and metaphysics leads to nowhere but a concept of paradise which is fundamentally illogical and impossible to begin with.
I don’t know if science knows or even can come close to the number of stars outside the earths atmosphere. I have heard in our own universe there could be as many as 400 million stars.

I have heard one Astronaut say that he believed there were 400 million galaxies and each having 400 million stars. So the number of stars reaches a point of being so great that we can’t fathom its numbers. We are talking a lot of real estate outside our atmosphere. This is no small place, this cosmos.

I do believe somewhere in all the trillions and trillions of stars is a new earth. I also believe there’s a place where the righteous will abide called,“heaven.”

You can deny there’s a heave if you will but you can’t deny the vastness of the cosmos. Even if we could travel at light speed we could not get from one end of the cosmos to the other in our life time. I believe heaven is somewhere out there in the cosmos. It may take a way to travel not yet fathomed by mankind. Light speed is way too slow for this kind of journey.

Obviously NASA believes there is something out there because of all the work that has gone on listening to the stars. This is an area of science that we haven’t even scratched the surface.

It would be interesting to hear a real unbiased PHD Mathematician calculate the possibility of another earth like ours in the cosmos. The bible scripture does mention a “New Heaven and a New Earth.”

I don’t believe with the vastness of the cosmos this is a unrealistic statement. Only Atheist believe this is impossible.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#223257 Apr 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You aren't educated or qualified to make that kind of determination.
You own posts prove it. Any sane person can see it.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#223258 Apr 5, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is science, no matter how much you wish it wasn't.
The term “Evolution,” meaning change over time has such a broad and wide application.

But when it comes to Evolution of mankind certainly knowledge has been a evolutionary process. But the evolution of mankind?

But I don’t buy into that there wasn’t never a first man and first woman. All numbers ever generated are synonymous with the number one.

You seen evolution of mankind has been and continues to be taught by artist conception and speculation. When you really weed out all of the “could haves, might have, possibly, maybe, we think,“ you have nothing but someone’s idea of what happened.

Some animals look the same after 500 million years. A spider and cockroach alive 300 million years ago look just like the one’s today.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#223259 Apr 5, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t know if science knows or even can come close to the number of stars outside the earths atmosphere. I have heard in our own universe there could be as many as 400 million stars.
I have heard one Astronaut say that he believed there were 400 million galaxies and each having 400 million stars. So the number of stars reaches a point of being so great that we can’t fathom its numbers. We are talking a lot of real estate outside our atmosphere. This is no small place, this cosmos.
I do believe somewhere in all the trillions and trillions of stars is a new earth. I also believe there’s a place where the righteous will abide called,“heaven.”
You can deny there’s a heave if you will but you can’t deny the vastness of the cosmos. Even if we could travel at light speed we could not get from one end of the cosmos to the other in our life time. I believe heaven is somewhere out there in the cosmos. It may take a way to travel not yet fathomed by mankind. Light speed is way too slow for this kind of journey.
Obviously NASA believes there is something out there because of all the work that has gone on listening to the stars. This is an area of science that we haven’t even scratched the surface.
It would be interesting to hear a real unbiased PHD Mathematician calculate the possibility of another earth like ours in the cosmos. The bible scripture does mention a “New Heaven and a New Earth.”
I don’t believe with the vastness of the cosmos this is a unrealistic statement. Only Atheist believe this is impossible.
Eagle, there are between 100 BILLION and 400 BILLION stars in our own Milky Way Galaxy.

And perhaps 500 BILLION galaxies in the Universe.
O G Kush

United States

#223260 Apr 5, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think atheists believe anything.
They accept the obvious.
Heaven/Paradise, no the matter how you consider it is preposterous.

No matter what your concept of heaven is your next-door neighbors will be entirely different.

It's safe to say most martyrs are in some type of paradise or at least we imagine them to be.

Now the problem arises because conflicting faiths share conflicting paradises.

Which ultimate amusement park is the best?

We are not immortal and no amount of chanting, subservient worship or special pleading will change that.

Organized superstition also known as 'religion' attempts to convince people it has an answer for everything, where in fact, it has answers to nothing.

Religion has never advanced mankind... Knowledge has.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#223261 Apr 5, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
You are too retarded to understand variation and mutations in genetics does.
Just stick to your mythology. You have no concept of anything real.
"Goddidit!" - Buck
One thing that impresses me about you is your ability to overwhelm us with your erudite communication. This must mean you are one of the few on the earth that could be called a genius. A true vocabularian and always astute in your communication indicating that you probably hold several Doctorate degrees.

How is it that you have the time to bless us with your wide and in-depth responses that just leave us puzzled at your magnificent ability to describe someone so skillfully?

It’s such an honor to have such a lexicomane grace us with your vast knowledge and expressions of the English language. I bet professors all over the world are reading your response and using it to teach other brilliant minds the following day.

Thank you for you being you.[tipping hat]

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#223262 Apr 5, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Eagle, there are between 100 BILLION and 400 BILLION stars in our own Milky Way Galaxy.
Yeah, but only we have the Internet.

+1 for Earth

:-)
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#223263 Apr 5, 2014
O G Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think atheists believe anything.
They accept the obvious.
Heaven/Paradise, no the matter how you consider it is preposterous.
No matter what your concept of heaven is your next-door neighbors will be entirely different.
It's safe to say most martyrs are in some type of paradise or at least we imagine them to be.
Now the problem arises because conflicting faiths share conflicting paradises.
Which ultimate amusement park is the best?
We are not immortal and no amount of chanting, subservient worship or special pleading will change that.
Organized superstition also known as 'religion' attempts to convince people it has an answer for everything, where in fact, it has answers to nothing.
Religion has never advanced mankind... Knowledge has.
I disagree with you.

Belief in a higher power,(God) has helped millions break free of all sorts of addictions including my own brother who was a hopeless alcoholic and drug addict.

I’m not aware of anyone ever claiming Atheism helped them break free of addictions, build schools for the poor, help the homeless world over, feed the hungry by the millions, build hospitals, fund medical research. All of these are just a few.

What has Atheism done for the better of mankind? One little group of about 10 Atheist in Dallas Texas passed out sandwiches one day to some people living on the street. They are hardly a Salvation Army type organization.

“Organized Superstition,” as you call it has helped put orphans in good homes and orphanages around the world. I don’t see much happening with the Atheist Charities. Now a lot of Atheist try to draft this billionaire or that billionaire as being a benevolent Atheist.

The fact remains that Atheism as an organized group has done little to nothing. Yet you make this statement,“Religion has never advanced mankind…” Tell that to all the stomachs we have fed and all the families we have helped over the last 200 years.

The Atheist creed continues to be and will always be, "Me, Myself and I."
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#223264 Apr 5, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Eagle, there are between 100 BILLION and 400 BILLION stars in our own Milky Way Galaxy.
Well, I feel like Austin Powers when he took the entire world hostage for one million dollars.[laughing]
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#223265 Apr 5, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, but only we have the Internet.
+1 for Earth
:-)
[smiling]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min Brian_G 40,449
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 55 min Into The Night 228
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 59 min Thinking 15,993
News "Being an atheist does not mean being anti-Chri... (Dec '14) 2 hr Patrick 51
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Patrick 24,071
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 2 hr Patrick 4,657
A Universe from Nothing? 5 hr u196533dm 56
More from around the web