Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 10,697)

Showing posts 213,921 - 213,940 of223,976
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222805
Apr 3, 2014
 
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>When atheists like you say shit like this:

"Science is true whether you believe it or not."
Neil DeGrasse Tyson said that.

I borrowed it.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222806
Apr 3, 2014
 
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Shuffling cards in a public school classroom is disruptive, more disruptive than a prayer, there's no constitutional law against shuffling cards is there?

Violating school disruption policies is vastly different of violating US constitutional law.

Stupid atheist.
You're getting angry in your old age.

I asked if she was praying out loud.

If she was, it was disruptive. And yes. So would shuffling cards be.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222807
Apr 3, 2014
 
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Shuffling cards in a public school classroom is disruptive, more disruptive than a prayer, there's no constitutional law against shuffling cards is there?

Violating school disruption policies is vastly different of violating US constitutional law.

Stupid atheist.
Tell me.

Do you think Christian students would be tolerant of a student saying satanist prayers out loud in class?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222808
Apr 3, 2014
 
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Aerobatty wrote:
Science is true whether you believe it or not.

Really?
Getting senile, too.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222809
Apr 3, 2014
 
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
ID is the pursuit of valid science. It rises or falls on the science.....
And it fails miserably.

"A child playing with an erector set is not considered to be a mechanical engineer."

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222810
Apr 3, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Neil DeGrasse Tyson said that.
I borrowed it.
It's deceptive, no matter who said it.

"Science" is a field of study. It is neither true, or not true.

People who do science, that's a different subject.

Some say things that are not true. Whether Mr. Tyson believes it or not.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222811
Apr 3, 2014
 
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Most acts of pedophelia are homosexual acts.....
We understand that you don't believe that having sex with little girls is pedophilia.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222812
Apr 3, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

1

BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
And it fails miserably.
"A child playing with an erector set is not considered to be a mechanical engineer."
You'll understand if I don't take your word for it.

...you being a moron.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222813
Apr 3, 2014
 
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll understand if I don't take your word for it.
...you being a moron.
Yes. I understand you are willfully ignorant.

Enjoy your magic show.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222814
Apr 3, 2014
 
"I don't know how it works so it must be the 'Work of God'." - Chistards

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222815
Apr 3, 2014
 
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no constitutional prohibition of teachers leading prayers.
If you can show it to me, or any basis for it, I will mail you a cashiers check for $10,000.00.
Article III, Section 2 gives the Supreme Court judicial power in all cases in law and equity arising under the Constitution between citizens and their states. Acting in that capacity, the Court ruled in 1962 and 1963 that prayers sponsored by public schools violate the establishment clause if the first amendment. Teachers who lead such prayers during school hours and on school grounds has also been ruled to violate the establishment clause.

What teachers do on their own time is another matter, and only public schools are so proscribed. Private and church-run schools are also free to require their students to participate in religious programs and exercises. Students in public schools are also free to organize religious activities during the school day as long as they don't conflict with their scheduled activities or interfere with or disrupt classes or other school activities. they can even evangelize as long as they make no attempt to compel other students to participate or even pay attention. But unless and until the Court overturns its current ruling, the establishment clause forbids public school teachers to lead prayers on school grounds during school days.

As private citizens, we are free to disagree with the Court, but our personal opinions don't matter in the larger sense--the Court is the final arbiter and interpreter of the Constitution. As such, it means what the Court rules that it means.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222816
Apr 3, 2014
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me.
Do you think Christian students would be tolerant of a student saying satanist prayers out loud in class?
Preference for christianity over satinism is perfectly allowable under the Constitution.

In fact, preference for christianity over any religion is acceptable.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222817
Apr 3, 2014
 
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It makes no difference.
Nobody has any constitutional right to not hear a prayer.
Quite right. Even the ACLU, if consulted, would support her position, not that of the school.

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Since: Sep 09

Sunbury, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222818
Apr 3, 2014
 
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The earth is not getting warmer. Even the global warming alarmists concede that.
Over the last 15 years, global temperatures have fallen.
Absolutely everything you wrote there^ is WRONG...basically an out-right lie. Research the Global temp for the past 20 years,. then get back to me :)

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222819
Apr 3, 2014
 
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Preference for christianity over satinism is perfectly allowable under the Constitution.

In fact, preference for christianity over any religion is acceptable.
No it's not.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222820
Apr 3, 2014
 
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Preference for christianity over satinism is perfectly allowable under the Constitution.
In fact, preference for christianity over any religion is acceptable.
WTF ?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222821
Apr 3, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

1

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Article III, Section 2 gives the Supreme Court judicial power in all cases in law and equity arising under the Constitution between citizens and their states. Acting in that capacity, the Court ruled in 1962 and 1963 that prayers sponsored by public schools violate the establishment clause if the first amendment. Teachers who lead such prayers during school hours and on school grounds has also been ruled to violate the establishment clause.
What teachers do on their own time is another matter, and only public schools are so proscribed. Private and church-run schools are also free to require their students to participate in religious programs and exercises. Students in public schools are also free to organize religious activities during the school day as long as they don't conflict with their scheduled activities or interfere with or disrupt classes or other school activities. they can even evangelize as long as they make no attempt to compel other students to participate or even pay attention. But unless and until the Court overturns its current ruling, the establishment clause forbids public school teachers to lead prayers on school grounds during school days.
As private citizens, we are free to disagree with the Court, but our personal opinions don't matter in the larger sense--the Court is the final arbiter and interpreter of the Constitution. As such, it means what the Court rules that it means.
I asked for the CONSTITUTIONAL basis.

You gave me what some guys said in 1962. For the 170 years or so previous to that, the Court said there was no such prohibition.

They were both talking about the same Establishment Clause, and the prior courts had over a hundred years of precedent in their favor. The 1962 court had none.

The Establishment Clause restricts one group of people, and one only. See if you can guess what group it is:

"Congress shall make no law..."

And the clause is specific about what kind of law Congress is prohibited from making - one that establishes a national religion.

You want me to believe a teacher leading a prayer in a local school violates an injunction against the United States Congress from establishing a national religion?

And no, the Constitution does not mean what the court says it means. The Constitution means what the words written in it mean, coupled with the original intent of the authors.

Your scenario - the Constitution meaning what the court says - means we have no Constitution.

Why are you against having a Constitution? Why are you against self-government?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222822
Apr 3, 2014
 
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I asked for the CONSTITUTIONAL basis.
You gave me what some guys said in 1962. For the 170 years or so previous to that, the Court said there was no such prohibition....
So we should allow slavery too ?

You are nuttier than a squirrel turd.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222823
Apr 3, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
No it's not.
So the Federal Post Office is closed on the Jewish sabbath in your town?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222824
Apr 3, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

1

BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
So we should allow slavery too ?
You are nuttier than a squirrel turd.
The Constitution was amended to eliminate slavery.

It was not amended to eliminate school prayer.

Are you trying to prove my point?

The "people" amend the Constitution. Judges are not allowed to. Theoretically.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 213,921 - 213,940 of223,976
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Atheism Discussions

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Patrick 152
How anti-atheist stigma affects the mental heal... 7 hr NightSerf 1
A Really Good Thing 8 hr NightSerf 1
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 8 hr Richardfs 2
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr Richardfs 830
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 12 hr Mikko 21,376
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 14 hr religionisillness 349
•••
•••