Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258041 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#223142 Apr 5, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is science, no matter how much you wish it wasn't.
No, evolution is not science.

Evolution is a biological process.

Science studies biological processes, but the processes themselves are NOT science.

Science is a field of study.

Your religion is showing again.

Location hidden

#223143 Apr 5, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Preaching evolution? Is teaching that water boils at 100C at MSL preaching? Is not including a view that angels could be exciting the molecules of hydrogen and oxygen to make them bubble only permitting one view?
You're lost.
The theory of evolution involves a multitude of claims, some of which are as demonstrable as water boiling, and some much more tenuous and unproven.

When you assert the entire range of the theory as a fact that is not susceptible scrutiny and question, then you are asserting assumptions, and you are entering into a philosophical realm, not a scientific one.

Water boils. Whether it boils unaided and produces large amounts of information and innovation is another question.

Location hidden

#223144 Apr 5, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>What Moe and Larry are really missing is that the wall of separation protects them and whatever weird brand of religion they want to occupy their stilted minds.
Point out that "wall of separation" in the Constitution for me.

I can't seem to put my finger on it.

Location hidden

#223145 Apr 5, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad that at least you are preparing yourself.
You can always live in your fantasies though.
Dred Scott and all that.
Buck: "Objection, Your Honor. Unresponsive and irrelevant".

Judge: "Objection sustained. Do you have a relevant comment, Counselor?"

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#223146 Apr 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>No, evolution is not science.

Evolution is a biological process.

Science studies biological processes, but the processes themselves are NOT science.

Science is a field of study.

Your religion is showing again.
Your desperation is showing.

Still.

Location hidden

#223147 Apr 5, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>The. Constitution of the United Staes of America is the most liberal set of laws ever composed. "We the people", not lords, not gods, not masters.
A conservative majority already exists on the Supreme Court and they are subverting the very election laws that sought to keep a balance among we the people and not cede the power to the monied gentry. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is liberalism's first principle and America's historic promise. Constitutional liberalism led to the American and French revolutions as backlash to the conservative principles of their contemporary governing bodies. Religious liberty, freedom of thought and speech, the division of government powers, an independent civil society, and the rights of private property and economic freedom are liberal, not conservative ideals.
Conservatives in this country transitioned from slavery to employees as slaves. Work seven days a week, live in company supplied housing, and purchase goods at the company store. There's some family values for you. Liberalism brought us the 8 hour day, the 40 hour work week, civil rights, environmentalism, broad based prosperity, a strong middle class, et al.
We do not have liberalism any more in this country. What we have is an oligarchy, where corporations rule, where employees are once again treated as chattel, where the middle class is decimated, where upward mobility is a farce, all this aided and abetted by both parties and slam dunked by the Supreme Court.
You, futznuck, are clueless.
We don't have liberalism?

Gay marriage is being adopted, abortion is used as birth control for any reason or no reason, people in some states are taxed at over 50% of income, the Obama administration is refusing to deport illegal immigrants arrested for criminal violations, a sweeping unconstitutional law has been adopted requiring all citizens to buy insurance administered by a central government, enforced by the IRS, and it was upheld by the Supreme Court,...

...no, no liberalism there. Nothing to see.

Bwahahahahahahahhahahahhahahah ahhahahahhahaha......

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#223149 Apr 5, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Provide evidence for your assertion.
You cannot present any verifiable empirical evidence for evolution, because there is none. All you can supply is an interpretation of data that is presuppositional by nature.

The evidence is that you have no empirical evidence...

Location hidden

#223150 Apr 5, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>This is as deep as your evidence goes. It is time for you to renounce all the scientific breakthroughs that evolution has offered.

If a loved one is ever murdered, ensure that investigators use no forensics or DNA technology.

Make certain that of you get sick, any prescribed medication was not developed using evolutionary science. Here, have an aspirin.

Don't drive on any modern highways or dwell in moderne buildings as engineers used evolutionary algorithms in their design and construction. See Ingo Rechenberg.

Don't get any surgery. Without evolutionary science, modern surgical techniques would not have been developed. Here, have some leeches and incense.

Don't eat any food connected to Monsanto. Good luck with that in America. Don't forget the Haber-Bosch process which feeds a third of the planet.

Cancer treatment. Don't bother.

Even the computer you are using was developed using algorithms discovered while studying evolutionary biology. Computer programs have been developed that evolve automatically using evolutionary algorithms.

The list is endless. You're pretty much going to have to go hide in your church basement and cower in fear at the big, bad science that has continually improved the quality of your life.

Weirdo. You must be a charlatan preacher living off the tithe. I'm sorry people are leaving the churches in drives but your BS was bound to die off eventually.
Interesting equivocal fallacies you have strung together here, at the heart of your argument is the false notion that scientific advancement is predicated on naturalistic atheism being absolutely true.

Which is demonstrably false as empiricism works in the present and not the mythical past, and requires no blind adherence to the religious tenets that you are espousing...

The foundations of empirical science and mathematics come from Abrahamic societies that recognised the Creator.

You might want to study the history of science a little deeper...

Location hidden

#223151 Apr 5, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Timothy 3:13 applies to you. Perfectly.
An angry prodigal perhaps?

Justifying your rebellion?

Location hidden

#223152 Apr 5, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>I was indoctrinated into Catholicism.

I achieved atheism all on my own.
Really?

So you reasoned to atheism by logic which cannot be accounted for in an atheistic worldview?

How do you account for the transcendental laws of logic by the way?

Location hidden

#223154 Apr 5, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Not on you.

I know.

You're lost.
Lost from what?

A pointless selfish existence?

Location hidden

#223155 Apr 5, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for proving you're a complete and utter imbecile.
By not providing a rational reasoned response you condemn yourself with your own words...

Location hidden

#223156 Apr 5, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>Yes.

Children look different from their parents.
So gene variation is proof of evolution?

I think you misunderstand what evolution is, it is not a variation of existing information.

It is the addition of brand new beneficial information that forms itself by magic.

Hence you have no argument pointing to inherent variability of traits, which points to creation by the way...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#223157 Apr 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Children don't enjoy the same benefits as adults. For example, I don't have a bedtime, they do.
IPSEC wrote:
What about that court-mandated curfew. Wait. I wrote mandate. I hope that doesn't make any Christians turgid.
Was that a rebuttal?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#223158 Apr 5, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Good because there's nothing a teenager likes more than talking about sex with their parents. My parents are doctors so they explained sex to me in a matter of fact manner when I was 13. I listened intently and when they were done they said, "Do you have any questions?"
I said, "Just one. You do know I'm gay, right?"
*hands the gay girl a cookie*

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#223159 Apr 5, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Good for him. I'm 20 and I've only kissed one boy.
Oh, so you're bi.

And all this time I thought you were gay...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#223161 Apr 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If she chose sex and chose to be irresponsible about it, yes.
But she wasn't "forced" into becoming a mom, she CHOSE to risk it and therefore CHOSE it.
<quoted text>
Absolutely! She shouldn't be having sex in the first place.
<quoted text>
Hell no. That's why he shouldn't be having sex and risking knocking a girl up.
<quoted text>
What?! Hell no. That boy and that girl made their choices. They need to man-up about it, get jobs and take care of their "accident". The grandparents didn't force them to try sex, the grandparents aren't financially responsible.
<quoted text>
Huh? They wouldn't become parents again, their kid's would be.
<quoted text>
I agree. If they're gonna do it, they're gonna do it.
It's their choice if they choose to be responsible about it.
Ever stop to think that actions and choices have consequences? Ever consider that a 13 year old having sex is illegal and immoral?
karl44 wrote:
a childish ignorant attitude from someone who seeks control
you are a sad, vile person, no misfortune you might experience would be worth of empathy.
you are among the most vile persons I have ever met, you are indeed a christian.
Yes because choosing to be responsible is childish and vile, isn't it?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#223162 Apr 5, 2014
karl44 wrote:
but --- if it is true that he is 18 and still "a virgin" then the probability is that he has a sexual identity issue.
There's the liberal Topix Atheist! attitude.

"Kids SHOULD be having sex, dammit!"

You disgust me. Let the kids be kids.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#223163 Apr 5, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>Lost from what?

A pointless selfish existence?
That's exactly what you seem to have.

Just hanging around waiting for the "next" life.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#223164 Apr 5, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you not aware of your own words and how they come a cross?
Not my problem.
No.

How do they come a cross?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min SoE 48,707
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr scientia potentia... 23,534
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 1 hr Uncle Sam 70
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr Thinking 21,881
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 4 hr Into The Night 5,705
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 8 hr Amused 3
What are the best arguments against religion? 13 hr Igor Trip 2
More from around the web