Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#223041 Apr 4, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have no response to fact and logic, thank you for being so honest.
And no we see why you have no responbem you talk utter bollocks and your self delusion is noted.
Eostre was the Pagan goddess of fertility and celebrated with feasting at the start of new growth.
The Venerable Bede,(672-735 CE), a Christian scholar, first asserted in his book De Ratione Temporum that Easter was named after Eostre (a.k.a. Eastre). She was the Great Mother Goddess of the Saxon people in Northern Europe. Similarly, the "Teutonic dawn goddess of fertility [was] known variously as Ostare, Ostara, Ostern, Eostra, Eostre, Eostur, Eastra, Eastur, Austron and Ausos." Her name was derived from the ancient word for spring: "eastre."
http://www.religioustolerance.org/easter1.htm
And I am pretty sure that Bede new a whole lot more about christianity then you ever will.
Very interesting thanks.

I always thought Easter came from the Babylonian goddess Ishtar aka Inanna. The eggs and bunnies are symbols of fertility.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishtar

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#223042 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a little bit thickheaded, yes.
The Supreme Court also ruled that a corporation is an individual, neat huh?
I really don't give a shit what the Supreme Court rules when it goes against what our Constitution says. There is nothing in the Constitution that says a school board or schoolteacher cannot pray in class or cannot have a prayer over the PA system. The Constitution only refers to Congress in that it cannot enact a national religion.
I can understand that, but when you respond to a post, you should respond to what is written. I disagree with some of the Court's decisions, too, the idea that a corporation can be treated as a person under the law being a case in point. But when we're talking about legal requirements that affect people and organizations, our personal opinions don't apply as much as the rulings of whatever courts have jurisdiction. When it comes to constitutional law as it affects real people, Supreme Court decisions are the final word unless and until a later Court decides differently.

In most conversations and debates, arguments from authority are logical fallacies. One exception to that rule is when the subject is constitutional law and the authority is the Supreme Court. We're all entitled to our opinions, of course, but only theirs carries the ultimate force of law.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#223043 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm proud of him for that. He shows an ability to hold his temptations better than anyone I've ever known.
Of course someone like you would probably be proud of their child having sex at 13.... "Good boy, mini-IPSEC!"
The joke sailed right over your pointed head and then you told a lie about me. Typical Christian liar.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#223044 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong, it's not Texas.
And why are you stuck on teaching abstinence?
It is Texas and because states are doing it and it is failing.
IPSEC

Haslet, TX

#223045 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Wtf? You too?
Please quote me saying anything similar to that.
I double dog dare you.
You weren't clear because I interpreted it that way as well
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#223046 Apr 4, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Satan and his gang may not find God compelling but certainly found he was capable of propelling their hind end into the abyss.
I bet they all have a cowboy boot imprint on their a**.
Nope. If Heaven is without sin, then it would have been nothing the boot scooting could have addressed, and, couple that with Satan having evidential knowledge of the Jesus character and all you are left with is a silly, childishly illogical conundrum.

And thank you for proving, once again, that no Christian will address that illogic and will only deflect.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#223047 Apr 4, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My Dear father was an Atheist. Hard core Atheist nearly all of his adult life. He was always trying to convert me to Atheism. When he was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer he remained an Atheist.
Until he had a life changing event six months before he died. I won’t go into the details other than he left Atheism and had the proof he needed.
It’s like treasure hunting in a way. If you never go treasure hunting you will never find treasure. Some professional treasure hunters go years without a find but they keep searching. Until that one day they find a sunken 18th century ship laden with gold & silver.
Most Atheist want someone to bring them proof. If you never go on the hunt you never reap the bounty,
The BS is strong with you.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#223048 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Children don't enjoy the same benefits as adults. For example, I don't have a bedtime, they do.
What about that court-mandated curfew. Wait. I wrote mandate. I hope that doesn't make any Christians turgid.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#223049 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That is correct.
Love is conditional.
I don't believe that unconditional love exists.
Yet you believe in Invisible Dear Leader. Aren't you supposed to love that character unconditionally? Oh, wait, that's right, it's a love-reward scenario for dummies.
IPSEC

Arlington, TX

#223050 Apr 4, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess for you since you are on his team.
Team? The character is a figure of your imagination. Oh, you silly, self-worshipping Christian. "You don't agree with me. You are on the side of evil". Blah, blah, blah, nonsense.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#223051 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I do teach my boys about safe sex, all the time. I remind them over and over again, ad nauseam, about the repercussions of unsafe and irresponsible sex.
If you've read my posts about this, you'd know that.
Good because there's nothing a teenager likes more than talking about sex with their parents. My parents are doctors so they explained sex to me in a matter of fact manner when I was 13. I listened intently and when they were done they said, "Do you have any questions?"

I said, "Just one. You do know I'm gay, right?"

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#223053 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm proud of him for that. He shows an ability to hold his temptations better than anyone I've ever known.
Of course someone like you would probably be proud of their child having sex at 13.... "Good boy, mini-IPSEC!"
Good for him. I'm 20 and I've only kissed one boy.

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#223054 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That is correct.
Love is conditional.
I don't believe that unconditional love exists.
Is that because it hasn't touched you yet?

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#223055 Apr 4, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
One of my daughters just gave birth to my first grandchild. I offered only this advice: "You will receive unsolicited advice from almost everyone about almost every aspect of infant care and child rearing. Be polite, but trust your own instincts. You are so much smarter and wiser than I was when I became a parent. You'll do just fine."
And she will.
Congratulations to you, NightSerf.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#223056 Apr 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. I know my son, you don't. You're just trying to piss me off, I already told you that you can't.
Just give it up.
A gay, atheist son for the PhelpsLite Redneck.

Sweet irony.

I love it.
number four

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#223058 Apr 4, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Isn't it funny that Satan has direct, observational knowledge of the Jesus story but doesn't find it compelling enough? Here we are with zero evidence of Dear Leader and are expected to tithe the charlatans in response.
......ah,...you have the facts .....

...Satan ....decided ....creatures of light ...WILL, NEVER PLAY ...second fiddle to the creatures of flesh .....I really can't blame her/him ....
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#223060 Apr 4, 2014
What law school did you drop out of? The courts say you are wrong.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well no actually, the US Constitution does not prohibit teachers or school officials from promoting religion, it only prohibits Congress from establishing a national religion.
There are school policies about disruption in class, and I could honestly see how a prayer could be seen as a disruption. But I could also see how texting or shuffling cards or farting could be disruptive. None of those following the guidelines of the US Constitution.
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#223061 Apr 4, 2014
Maybe you should take another look at the constitution brightboy. Take a close look at Article 3. It refers specifically to judicial powers. Rednecks don't get to interpret the constitution. Judges do. It sounds like you hate the constitution.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a little bit thickheaded, yes.
The Supreme Court also ruled that a corporation is an individual, neat huh?
I really don't give a shit what the Supreme Court rules when it goes against what our Constitution says. There is nothing in the Constitution that says a school board or schoolteacher cannot pray in class or cannot have a prayer over the PA system. The Constitution only refers to Congress in that it cannot enact a national religion.
tricki

Boyertown, PA

#223062 Apr 4, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
"Home run at 16"
- rretard
Sex should be conducted anytime, anywhere, by anyone, with anyone, for any or no reason, 24/7 without restraints
tricki

Boyertown, PA

#223063 Apr 4, 2014
All atheists should be delighted to graduate to infinite nothingness right now

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) 2 min old_moose 163
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Eagle 12 - 32,607
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Eagle 12 - 80,071
what science will NEVER be able to prove 7 hr Eagle 12 - 10
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) 8 hr Eagle 12 - 106
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 8 hr Eagle 12 - 69
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
More from around the web