Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#221951 Mar 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That quote was from a book, "Landmarks in the Life of Stalin" by E. Yaroslavsky in 1940. It was written during Stalin's hayday, and was designed to put him in a positive light.
From that book:
"At a very early age, while still a pupil in the ecclesiastical school, Comrade Stalin developed a critical mind and revolutionary sentiments. He began to read Darwin and became an atheist."
"I began to speak of God, Joseph heard me out, and after a moment's silence, said:
"'You know, they are fooling us, there is no God....'
"I was astonished at these words, I had never heard anything like it before.
"'How can you say such things, Soso?' I exclaimed.
"'I'll lend you a book to read; it will show you that the world and all living things are quite different from what you imagine, and all this talk about God is sheer nonsense,' Joseph said.
"'What book is that?' I enquired.
"'Darwin. You must read it,'
“You know, they are fooling us, there is no God”- was claimed to have been spoken by a teenaged Stalin to a fellow student while studying to become a priest in the Russian Orthodox Church and was quoted in Landmarks in the Life of Stalin by Yemelyan Yaroslavsky

I am not sating that Stalin never said those words, I am saying that the account is second hand and if it was made was made by a teenager.

“God's not unjust, he doesn't actually exist. We've been deceived. If God existed, he'd have made the world more just...“– was claimed in 2007 in the book Young Stalin (2007) by Simon Sebag Montefiore

This was penned more than 50 years after his death, hindsight is a wonderful device for earning royalties don’t you think?

Again it may be factual, it may not, we have no independent evidence either way. However there is considerable evidence that he was on the committee to reinstate the church infrastructure and because of him 25000 churches were re-opened.

Now consider that people say things, you have threatened to kill me yet you claim you did no mean it after the fact. You have claimed a great many things during our association only to backtrack or contradict sometime later. Now I do not know how old you are and I don’t really care, but I do find it odd that you can brand a person for life because of something he may have said as a teenager.

#221952 Mar 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Aside from the childish sarcasm, that was one of the most honest explanations of Stalin that I've seen from one of you atheists.
In a nutshell, during the first half of Stalin's reign he did everything he could to eradicate Christianity from his country. Then Hitler invaded. Stalin quickly realized that he could not beat the Nazis without the support of his people, his government just wasn't enough. So he allowed churches to reopen, he didn't reopen them himself as Christine alleges, but he did allow them to reopen. By doing so, his nation started to repolarize and he had the support of his people, then they beat the shit out of the Nazis.
So basically, Stalin was an atheist that allowed churches to be open.
Actually butt brain I said he was responsible for the opening of 25000 churches, I have never said he did it himself.

I realise that the word responsibility is anathema to you but that’s just tough

#221953 Mar 28, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then we have it! Christine of the woodland realm!:)
Good enough for me

Just so long as I can drive my xkr

#221954 Mar 28, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Christine and Wilderice, of the atheist team, traded Stalin to the Christians for the Pope and 2 future draft picks.
More butt crack bull sh|t?

Just because you were beaten by three popes to one archbishop is no need to hold a grudge, just man up and accept your beating.

#221955 Mar 28, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. Maybe. Although I shudder at the thought of butt crack being the alleged god.
Truly though, you give butt crack too much credit imo, rretard holds his own when it comes to dishonest stupidity.
He is a god in his own mind

He said on another post he is the hole in the flute through which god breaths
To which I reminded him that he is not supposed to breath in through the nose and out through the a$$

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#221956 Mar 28, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, otherwise all you have is scoffing.

Smile.
The fear of god is childish.

Scoff.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221957 Mar 28, 2014
tricki wrote:
Atheism requires absolute, steadfast, unwavering faith that there is no possibility that God is.
Reading about their ridiculous faith in no God, one must ask why? FOOLS! They are FOOLS!
GOD says.
Well idn't THAT special...

#221958 Mar 28, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
We know.
Smile.
Good cherry picking there, perhaps it’s all you are capable off

But really we expect more of you

But as they say:- There were two ways to be happy: improve your reality, or lower your expectations”
Thinking

Stockbridge, UK

#221959 Mar 28, 2014
Puck Frick picks peanuts from sh!t.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Good cherry picking there, perhaps it’s all you are capable off
But really we expect more of you
But as they say:- There were two ways to be happy: improve your reality, or lower your expectations”

#221960 Mar 28, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Simply pointing out your selective indignation based on a false premise. A combination of ignorance and hypocrisy.
So once again, regardless of the God you don't believe in, why do selectively judge the killing of animals?
Smile.
Sorry buddy, I did not write the babble

So you are saying that what is written in the babble is a false premise and a combination of ignorance and hypocrisy?

Go figure…

True, I do not consider your god worth the belief I would give to any myth but there are about 3.9 billion people of 3 religions who do believe that their god was responsible for the genocide of the vast majority of the creatures he is supposed to have created.

And that he murdered the first born male children of Egypt in a pique of spite

And that he condoned rape and slavery and murder and theft in his followers. You want verse numbers just ask but in truth I think you are already aware of the verses and choose to ignore them.

BTW, there is a considerable difference between the slaughter of animals for food, for survival and the slaughter of everything because of a temper.

#221961 Mar 28, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Puck Frick picks peanuts from sh!t.
<quoted text>
Dems not penuts...

#221962 Mar 28, 2014
oops peanuts

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221963 Mar 28, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>It might be time to reconsider.

Professor Lewontin:

"... because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism."

Professor Michael Ruse, evolutionist, professor of philosophy and zoology at the University of Guelph, Canada, key witness in 1982 Arkansas trial on "balanced treatment bill":

‘Evolution is promoted by its practitioners as more than mere science. Evolution is promulgated as an ideology, a secular religion—a full-fledged alternative to Christianity, with meaning and morality. I am an ardent evolutionist and an ex-Christian, but I must admit that in this one complaint—and Mr. Gish is but one of many to make it—the literalists are absolutely right. Evolution is a religion. This was true of evolution in the beginning, and it is true of evolution still today."

Professor Thomas Nagel:

"I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isn’t just that I don’t believe in God and, naturally, hope that I’m right in my belief. It’s that I hope there is no God! I don’t want there to be a God; I don’t want the universe to be like that. My guess is that this cosmic authority problem is not a rare condition and that it is responsible for much of the scientism and reductionism of our time. One of the tendencies it supports is the ludicrous overuse of evolutionary biology to explain everything about human life, including everything about the human mind …. This is a somewhat ridiculous situation …. It is just as irrational to be influenced in one’s beliefs by the hope that God does not exist as by the hope that God does exist.”

American Atheists, Webmaster:

“Atheists are NOT ‘secular humanistsÂ’,‘freethinkersÂ’, ‘rationalistsÂ’ or ‘ethical culturalistsÂ’Â… Often, people who are Atheists find it useful to masquerade behind such labels."
All ID proponents masquerading as Christians.

How do you like it?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#221964 Mar 28, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There’s no proof to “You” that God created anything.
Because “You” don’t want to see or hear any proof.
“You” are defiant. That’s ok to me if you want to blatantly refuse to believe.
My life doesn’t center around “You.”
Your life centers around “You.”
So “Your” decision doesn’t stop me from what I know is true.
And I don’t have to prove anything to “You.”
Because my life doesn’t center around “You.”
Believe as you wish. Not my problem.
Riiight.

"If you would just believe already, we could show you the proof that god exists!"

If you think that many, many atheists haven't genuinely sought proof of a god's existence, you're being a disingenuous liar.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#221965 Mar 28, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing you describe here qualifies as atheism. Atheism is not the absence of anything. It is the presence of a belief.
Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).
Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia).
Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy).
Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor).
You done dug up that dead horse again? I know it's an infinite dead horse beating!
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#221966 Mar 28, 2014
when god directed his people to destroy utterly his enemies, he had good reasons.

god didn't kill a single child during Passover, FOOL. Pharaoh did. Your hatred for the christian god you don't believe in, has nothing to do with all the reasons you state, honey.

you are not god, my love, and you never will be and that's what drives you batty, just like your papa.

everyone hates you, for many good reasons.

you too amalgam, aradia krazi
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#221967 Mar 28, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You done dug up that dead horse again? I know it's an infinite dead horse beating!
thanks for running from those simple tests. just as i said. how about me!
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#221968 Mar 28, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Riiight.
"If you would just believe already, we could show you the proof that god exists!"
If you think that many, many atheists haven't genuinely sought proof of a god's existence, you're being a disingenuous liar.
if that was true, he'd be found. you lie, not him, sweetheart. you believe hitler, don't forget

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#221970 Mar 28, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
More butt crack bull sh|t?
Just because you were beaten by three popes to one archbishop is no need to hold a grudge, just man up and accept your beating.
You're an idiot. The Popes and Archbishop agree. They accept that evolution occurs, but not Darwinist theory of evolution.

The only confusion is with you and people like you who try to make the Pope's statement mean something it doesn't.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#221971 Mar 28, 2014
tricki wrote:
<quoted text>
thanks for running from those simple tests. just as i said. how about me!
Do you still eat your feces ?
Yes or no ?

Simple test.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 28 min Dak-Original 22,293
Becoming a parent changed everything. 1 hr Reason Personified 17
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Reason Personified 479
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 3 hr Patrick 332
Respecting belief: why should you? And why shou... 3 hr Patrick 14
Atheist Babies 3 hr Patrick 39
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 3 hr Patrick 194
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE