Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239229 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#222017 Mar 28, 2014
tricki wrote:
<quoted text>
The harshest punishment to those who knew hell is real and scoffed at it in front of their children, leading them to the same fiery pit they chose.
Dear God
Hell is not real, you silly buffoon.

Neither is your ugly torturer-god.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#222018 Mar 28, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
The hell they are.
Indeed-- a favorite study-subject of neural science, is human emotions.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#222019 Mar 28, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
You left out the possibility-the most likely probability, actually-that ALL of the religions are wrong.
And science, for the most part, makes no effort to prove or disprove god or religion. It just turns out that, so far, every path science has taken in search of truth and knowledge has done that.
And that leads back to the probability-the HIGH probability-that ALL religions got it wrong and are just ancient man's attempts to explain a world they had no way of comprehending the way we do today.
Yes, indeed--- the most likely scenario is that **all** religions are man-made, and therefore, false.

Back to the drawing board.

<heh>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#222020 Mar 28, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you mean that man needs to be saved from a god that can't stomach him as he was created.
It's not clear why we alone were given standards that we couldn't meet. I'm sure glad that dogs weren't told that if they disobeyed that they would be tortured forever. I like dogs, and am sure that they are doing the best they can just like you and me.
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, when man fell, only the serpent was there-
Cats, too.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#222021 Mar 28, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
Christian Creepiness:
"During the ceremony, the fathers present their daughters with purity rings, and the duo become boyfriend and girlfriend.
"You keep this on your finger and as of this point you are married to the Lord and your father is your boyfriend," the father says as he hands his daughter the ring."
Hopefully this sentence is just terrible structure and not the real intent of the words:
"Having sex with, kissing or touching a man (other than their fathers) before marriage is strictly prohibited."
http://www.designntrend.com/articles/11954/20...
Yep, Christianity has nothing to do with mind control and women are just as equal as men. Where are the purity balls for the boys?
Please tell me this is a joke-site.

That is one of the sickest things I've read from religion, in a long-long while.

Uggg...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#222022 Mar 28, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
Wait, what?
"You keep this on your finger and as of this point you are married to the Lord and your father is your boyfriend," the father says as he hands his daughter the ring."
Married and a boyfriend? Why, the little slut is already an adulteress.
Her father will so have to stone her to death, on her wedding day...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#222023 Mar 28, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
This one bears repeating:
"Having sex with, kissing or touching a man (other than their fathers) before marriage is strictly prohibited."
Christians are creepy!
Very creepy...

... Electra, anyone?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#222024 Mar 28, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
Oh, and those "Purity Balls" don't work and are further evidence of the harm of a Christian dogma.
"The National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health data supports the conclusion that teenagers making virginity pledges, including those promulgated through purity balls, usually do not adhere to the required standard of chastity, and are less prepared to utilize safer sex precautions in mitigating the risks of sexual activity when it does occur. The percentage of teenagers in a given area who have made virginity pledges is positively correlated with the frequency with which sexually transmitted diseases occur."
http://www.cpc.unc.edu/projects/addhealth
Stupid Christians.
Trying to deny actual reality (that teens are raging balls of hormones) is only going to get them into more trouble than normal...

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#222025 Mar 28, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
here we have wilderide's statement of faith in a nutshell: "Homosexuality is in fact alot more honorable than Christianity"
yet wildride asserts that he's trying to challenge us with critical-thinking on a moral level without bias!
folks - make no mistake about it- THE HOMOSEXUAL AGENDA IS MALCIOUS AND PERVERSE AND ITS OBJECTIVE IS TO CHANGE THE ENTIRE WORLD'S IDEA OF MORALITY!
Gays and lesbians more popular than evangelical Christians:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/28/gays...

:D

BTW, the only place a homosexual agenda exists is in the mind of the ignorant and paranoid like yourself.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#222026 Mar 28, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
Ugh, it's worse than I thought. Look at this photo of a "Purity Ball" father kissing his daughter (trigger warning for incest survivors).
http://progressivepopulist.org/2014/03/21/pur...
Christians are creepy!
Disgusting.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#222027 Mar 28, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell is not real, you silly buffoon.
Neither is your ugly torturer-god.
Bob, it's not torture, it's love. Don't you find slavery, genocide, ethnic-cleansing, misogyny, homophobia, racism, and infanticide loving behavior? Because if not, I'm afraid I know a deity which will love you to death for all eternity.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#222028 Mar 28, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
Look what Billy Graham's son had to say:
Evangelical Sex Abuse Record ‘Worse’ Than Catholic, Says Billy Graham’s Grandson Boz Tchividijian Religion News Service | By Sarah Pulliam Bailey Posted: 10/01/2013 10:11 am EDT | Updated: 10/02/2013 11:48 am EDT
AUSTIN, Texas (RNS) The Christian mission field is a “magnet” for sexual abusers, Boz Tchividjian, a Liberty University law professor who investigates abuse said Thursday (Sept. 26) to a room of journalists.
While comparing evangelicals to Catholics on abuse response,”I think we are worse,” he said at the Religion Newswriters Association conference, saying too many evangelicals had “sacrificed the souls” of young victims.
“Protestants can be very arrogant when pointing to Catholics,” said Tchividjian, a grandson of evangelist Billy Graham and executive director of Godly Response to Abuse in the Christian Environment (GRACE), which has investigated sex abuse allegations. etc.
Even he gets it.
Of course!

Those poor brainwashed Genuine Christian™ girls are taught to be SUBMISSIVE to all MEN.

It stands to reason they'd be the most abused group.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#222029 Mar 28, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Magic is just when people don't understand how something works. If you took an iPad back in time even just 50 years people would think it was magic too.
Or, perhaps had a little deamon inside?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#222030 Mar 28, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>You may have misread or that is incorrect about the ten percent of the brain. I said in unison. People used to believe man only uses 10% of his brain while the other 90% is never used. They looked at us as capacity. That is what people got wrong. What it is rather is that we only use 10% of our brain at any particular time. Some actions access some parts of our brain. Others from different parts. We have much higher than 10% brain capacity. But we don't use more than 10% at the same time
If you find anything disputing that please let me know as that has been my finding
I think the whole 10% thing was a gross mistake and misunderstanding of a single observation , back in the day.

And the populist media grabbed it as a "cute thing to say and sell newspapers" to the general public.

Even while deeply asleep most of your brain is busy doing it's thing-- far more than just 10%. The brain is responsible for a great many bodily functions, including heartbeat, breathing, digestion, movement of the intestines, etc. Sure, these are not *conscious* activities, but a person with a broken neck?*Will* have issues with all of the above, without external help.

Here's a fairly lengthy discussion on the subject:

" http://psychology.about.com/od/biopsychology/... ;

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#222031 Mar 28, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>As for the senses I don't if we disagree more on a semantic or fundamental level. Maybe both. Maybe neither.
Let me explain what I believe a "sixth" sense to be. I agree our senses are sharper when we are not distracted. But I also believe we have the ability but not the knowledge on how to use out senses to do much more with them then we do now.
It doesn't even necessarily have to be a "sense". Is perception or intuition a "sense"? I don't know how you would define either. But I believe there exists a disconnect between man and his perceptions due to the lack of developing the ability to use it or learning how to be more in tune with it.
Maybe that is what you would define as a sixth sense. If so then we would disagree. But I believe some people has the ability to perceive things most people never have and probably never will be able to as they don't even know its something they are lacking. That is why I mentioned even small things we take for granted like animals knowing when someone is sick or when danger is around. It's a perception that transcends just normal observation. Or I should say what we know to observe. I think out perceptions have the ability to be so much greater than they are, but we just don't know how.
I think I see what you are saying, here-- it's not that you are claiming some magical "other sense" that is unknown, it's that you are saying some folk pay better attention to the senses they do have, than other people.

And I whole-heartedly agree.

For example, your average person can glance at a chess board, with a game-in-progress, and just see a jumble of pieces.

But for a chess master? That same glance, will tell the master who's winning, who's losing, who has the advantage, and so on-- in fact? He(she) will likely be able to replicate that game-in-progress, on another board, without looking back to the first game, all from a casual glance.

The chess master's glance is more **perceptive** of the various nuances of chess, than an untrained observer would be.

So, certainly-- some folk are more perceptive than others, given specific conditions.

Another example, is the fictional character Sherlock Holmes-- based on real-world people, of course. Holmes, has trained himself to observe every little detail in a given scene. This is possible to do, as real-world crime scene detectives can be so trained (maybe not as incredible as the fictional Holmes, but certainly well above a casual observer).

There is much about human perception that we still do not understand--that much is certain.

The future can be a very bright one, as we unlock more of these secrets about ourselves.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#222032 Mar 28, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text> Well you're an atheist. How were you indoctrinated?
I was indoctrinated against my will, as a baby, to belong to the cult that is Genuine Christianity™.

I remained brainwashed in that cult for most of my life, finally able to set myself free from the brain-damage that is faith, by simply reading the **whole** bible, and not just the pretty bits (as you no doubt do).

Once I realized how incredibly ugly and evil the bible is? I also realized that no god who GAVE A DAMN would have permitted the ugly bible to even exist at all.

So, clearly, there is no such being.

If god exists? God does not care one bit about the collective fate of humanity.

The proof is the very existence of the bible, the quoran, the book of mormon, the <insert religious book here> ...

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#222033 Mar 28, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, the only place a homosexual agenda exists is in the mind of the ignorant and paranoid like yourself.
They use Mein Kampf replacing "Jew" with "gay".

The Christ-Stains are the ones with an agenda.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#222034 Mar 28, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Or, perhaps had a little deamon inside?
Maxwell's ?

LOL

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#222035 Mar 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
You, RR, Buck, etc.
It seems to be requirement to be a "Real Christian".
Indeed.

They are proof that no god who cares can possibly exist-- for what god would suffer such as they, to represent it?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#222037 Mar 28, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Progress!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 46 min Eagle 12 7,417
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Pahu 2,187
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 3 hr prophecydotorg 7,469
News New Atheism's fatal arrogance: The glaring inte... 5 hr EdSed 5
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 hr MikeF 19,046
News Number of Christians Decline 'Unaffiliated' Ris... 5 hr EdSed 5
Holidays 6 hr EdSed 4
More from around the web