Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255311 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#222099 Mar 28, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
So if the Bible says something that you don't understand or like, then just ignore it? Paul says women must give birth to be saved.....
I had to be honest and say "I don't believe in the Bible or Paul."
I decided to learn as much as I could about Jesus instead and come to my own conclusions.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#222100 Mar 28, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how some people are vegetarian/vegan or oppose wearing fur, because they love animals. However, they think nothing of wearing leather or sheepskin ugg boots.
I love animals, and my dogs like them too.
They like my leather jackets a little too much, must be like being wrapped in bacon to them or something..lol

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#222101 Mar 29, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that in the case of dogs, it's their super-keen sense of smell. Functional exams of dog's brains show that their brains seem to devote as much grey matter to smell, as humans' brains devote to vision.
To me, that says a dog's world is a rich and varied as our human visual one.
In short, I think a dog's ability to sense things we find inexplicable, is simply a finely attuned sense of smell.
It's a guess-- but it's based on sound evidence and logic.
:)
Yes, from what I've seen of dog when they go out and about. The average poochie pulls on its lead all the time, to follow the latest fascinating smell.

If dogs made the language, they would call it smellseeing.
:-)

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#222102 Mar 29, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Silly rr, a woman need not be a "feminazi" to realise you're an imbecile and I'm an Atheist outside of cyber world as well.
Incidentally, thongs aka flip flops are also shoes.
You're welcome.
Correct. Now don't get him started on ugg boots.
:-)

Speaking of which, this conversation reminds me that I need some new boots. Now that the weather is starting to get cooler.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#222103 Mar 29, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>An argument from popularity is a logical fallacy. I look forward to your conversion to Islam.
I could easily imagine that one as a member of the Taliban. One-eyed, just like Mullah Mohammed Omar.

And...he would be allowed more wives.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#222104 Mar 29, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
"Lot was never punished for incest.
Lot is an alleged ancestor of David and Jesus.
David and Jesus then are products of incest.
Therefore incest is OK with God." -Christ-Stains
Well, incest is far more on the nose than sodomy. In the minds of a lot of people...

And that was even before we knew about genetic inbreeding.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#222105 Mar 29, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, incest is far more on the nose than sodomy. In the minds of a lot of people...
And that was even before we knew about genetic inbreeding.
Jesus was pretty much fuckedfrom birth.

Incest?

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#222106 Mar 29, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
And if someone has faith that Ganesha exists? Or Zeus? Or Xenu? Or that Joseph Smith was a prophet of the Judeo-Christian God who could read holy tablets delivered by an angel using stone glasses? Using faith alone, how does one determine which, if any, of those scenarios are the truth?
See what I'm saying? Faith is not a valid epistemology.
It works for some...that's all I'll say about faith. I don't feel like a bad person anymore, because it never worked for me since my early teens.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#222107 Mar 29, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>If you don't mind other poster's opinions....here is mine:

I use the facts based upon archeological finds and literary scholars to come to the conclusion that what is read today IS NOT what was intended.

Too many changes cause the Bible to be in error of its teachings.

...and you? What is your standard?
You did not answer the question you did not explain where you get your own moral standard from.

It is clear where mine comes from whether you agree with it or not.

So over to you :-)

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#222108 Mar 29, 2014
mpotent wrote:
<quoted text>The National Electric Code.

The whole Bible is substandard. I'm going to have to condemn it.
Which standard are you using which moral standard are you using to determine that biblical morality is substandard.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#222109 Mar 29, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
First-wrong.
I am anti religion. There's a difference, though I don't expect you to acknowledge that.
Second-I think it was Abe Lincoln who said something like, "When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion."
That's good enough for me.
There is no need to terrify children with threats of some eternal punishment that you don't even know exists.
At the very least, you could wait until they reach the age of reason before feeding that crap to them.
But then, most religious indoctrinated know that if they wait until the age of reason, it will be too late to fill their heads with irrational fears.
I wouldn't call that religion @ all. I call that ethics.

And there's no doubt that Abe Lincoln was an ethical man, but not particularly religious.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#222110 Mar 29, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Which standard are you using which moral standard are you using to determine that biblical morality is substandard.
Did Jesus poop?

If He did, did He use his right or left hand to wipe?

I can't find evidence of that in the Bible.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#222111 Mar 29, 2014
<quoted text>
Her father will so have to stone her to death, on her wedding day...
It does remind me of that. Or at worst, the story of Lot and his daughters.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#222112 Mar 29, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Gays and lesbians more popular than evangelical Christians:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/28/gays...
:D
BTW, the only place a homosexual agenda exists is in the mind of the ignorant and paranoid like yourself.
I can tell u exactly why from experience, Wilde.

Because some churches, esp the one I grew up in, seem to want only to marginalize and judge people. Unfortunately I was the unlucky one there. Maybe not now, but I have no interest in going back to see.

Gay people OTOH...if you can accept what they are, they will accept you. In fact they are some of my best friends and support here in the big city.

The only agenda you have is to be treated the same as other Homo Sapiens.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#222113 Mar 29, 2014
<quoted text>
Or, perhaps had a little deamon inside?
It's witchcraft!

And a century before that, people would have said that if they saw someone using a telephone.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#222114 Mar 29, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I love animals, and my dogs like them too.
They like my leather jackets a little too much, must be like being wrapped in bacon to them or something..lol
Dogs follow their nose.:-)

And I'm sure they know that your jackets smell like cow, which they know makes a nice dinner.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#222115 Mar 29, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus was pretty much fuckedfrom birth.
Incest?
And I'm sure you've been cheeky from birth, River. LOL
mpotent

United States

#222116 Mar 29, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Any will do.

Have you ever had any deep thoughts? I sincerely doubt it.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#222117 Mar 29, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>Gays and lesbians more popular than evangelical Christians:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/28/gays...

:D

BTW, the only place a homosexual agenda exists is in the mind of the ignorant and paranoid like yourself.
Ooh, they want equal rights, what an evil plot.

Ffs.

I think Ricky says it well;

http://media.boreme.com/post_media/2014/ricky...

Since: Jan 11

United States

#222118 Mar 29, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Did Jesus poop?
If He did, did He use his right or left hand to wipe?
I can't find evidence of that in the Bible.
His dad must wipe for him.

"So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God." Mark 16:19

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 58 min renee 31,308
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr karl44 9,736
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Reason Personified 13,304
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 3 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 4,351
News Speaking for God 5 hr Jaimie 592
There are no such things as gods or fairies 8 hr Eagle 12 34
Majority of Scots now have no religion 19 hr emperorjohn 8
More from around the web