Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

ERASER et al

Brentwood, TN

#221929 Mar 27, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Then it wasn't faith that lead to the truth. It was science.
Forensics IS science, you know.
Science is truth as we know it today.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#221930 Mar 27, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
His opinion carries more weight than yours, given his position.
So far, you are losing the argument badly.
So, almost anyone's opinion carries more weight than a high school drop out who hangs sheet rock for a living.

Agreed

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#221931 Mar 27, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
How about your opinion that I'm not an atheist at all?
The Christ-Stain double standard is ordained by God !
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#221932 Mar 27, 2014
ERASER et al wrote:
<quoted text>
Science is truth as we know it today.
Science absolutely proves God is.
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#221933 Mar 27, 2014
Atheism requires absolute, steadfast, unwavering faith that there is no possibility that God is.
Reading about their ridiculous faith in no God, one must ask why? FOOLS! They are FOOLS!
GOD says.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#221934 Mar 27, 2014
tricki wrote:
<quoted text>
Science absolutely proves God is.
If that's true, you should be able to provide a link to peer-reviewed research that focuses principally on this amazing discovery. Writing a homily full of questionable logic will not do. Provide the link or admit that you cannot substantiate the above claim.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#221935 Mar 27, 2014
tricki wrote:
Atheism requires absolute, steadfast, unwavering faith that there is no possibility that God is.
Reading about their ridiculous faith in no God, one must ask why? FOOLS! They are FOOLS!
GOD says.
Not at all.

All that is required to see the universe from an atheistic perspective is a healthy sense of skepticism, the essence of which is to respond to unverified ideas and assertions, "That's interesting.. I wonder whether it is true," and to withhold belief until those ideas and assertions have been substantiated by solid research or sound logic based on easily accepted premises (axioms).

Skepticism is the antonym to faith, just as atheism is the absence of theism. While related, they are not the same, but neither requires the "unwavering faith" that you assert Quite the opposite..
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#221936 Mar 27, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
If that's true, you should be able to provide a link to peer-reviewed research that focuses principally on this amazing discovery. Writing a homily full of questionable logic will not do. Provide the link or admit that you cannot substantiate the above claim.
no problem. it is easy. just answer this. TEST ONE
The person who thinks the Coca Cola can had no designer is:
___ A. Intelligent
___ B. A fool
___ C. Has an ulterior motive for denying the obvious

no one of your FOOLISH ilk has found the courage, yet, to do so.
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#221937 Mar 27, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all.
All that is required to see the universe from an atheistic perspective is a healthy sense of skepticism, the essence of which is to respond to unverified ideas and assertions, "That's interesting.. I wonder whether it is true," and to withhold belief until those ideas and assertions have been substantiated by solid research or sound logic based on easily accepted premises (axioms).
Skepticism is the antonym to faith, just as atheism is the absence of theism. While related, they are not the same, but neither requires the "unwavering faith" that you assert Quite the opposite..
you are confused. you describe agnosticism, my friend. the opposite of theism is atheism. believing in god vs. believing in no god.

are you an atheist? if so, try this, love. do you believe in god?

if not, do believe there isn't a god?

perhaps you should consider faith in uncertainty if you discover you are not an atheist.
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#221938 Mar 27, 2014
next

TEST TWO
A. Do you know of any building that didn't have a builder?

___ YES ___ NO

B. Do you know of any painting that didn't have a painter?

___ YES ___ NO

C. Do you know of any car that didn't have a maker?

___ YES ___ NO

If you answered "YES" for any of the above, give details:

comfort r
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#221939 Mar 27, 2014
Oranges

TEST THREE
A. From the atom to the universe, is there order?

___ YES ___ NO

B. Did it happen by accident?

___ YES ___ NO

C. Or, must there have been an intelligent mind?

___ YES ___ NO

D. What are the chances of 50 oranges falling by chance
into ten rows of five oranges?_________
If you answered "YES" for any of the above, give details:

The declaration "There is no God" is what is known as an absolute statement. For an absolute statement to be true, I must have absolute knowledge.

comfort r

you see?

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#221940 Mar 28, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all.
Nothing you describe here qualifies as atheism. Atheism is not the absence of anything. It is the presence of a belief.

Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).

Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia).

Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy).

Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor).

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#221941 Mar 28, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea what it means when the Bible says humans were created in God's image. The way I look at it: why would the Bible be any more obtuse than it needs to be? I assume that God would want the Bible to be as clear and simple to understand as possible, so it seems to make the most sense that what the Bible says should be taken at face value. In that case, it makes the most sense that humans either look like God, or behave like God.
If I'm made in God's image, God is one big handsome sonuvabitch.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#221942 Mar 28, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing you describe here qualifies as atheism. Atheism is not the absence of anything. It is the presence of a belief.
Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).
Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia).
Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy).
Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor).
buck1
b&#601;k/Submit
noun
the male of some antlered animals, esp. the fallow deer, roe deer, reindeer, and antelopes.
a vaulting horse.
verb
(of a horse) to perform a buck.
"he's got to get his head down to buck"
oppose or resist (something that seems oppressive or inevitable).
"the shares bucked the market trend"
informal
make (someone) more cheerful.
"Bella and Jim need me to buck them up"
lowest of a particular rank.
"a buck private"

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#221943 Mar 28, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm an atheist again?
Unless you are Stalin.
Thinking

Cupar, UK

#221944 Mar 28, 2014
If only your god wasn't such a poor communicator, then perhaps there wouldn't be 40,000+ sects in christianity alone.

Maybe your god wants there to be unprecedented amounts of unbelievers because he prefers them to sycophants? You can't disprove this.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it’s more like this. We can’t prove God is real to “You,” until you pull your head out of your ***.
And when you do. Pull your head out of your ***. And you hear “PoP.”
Don’t ask,“what was that?”
Thinking

Cupar, UK

#221945 Mar 28, 2014
Puck Frick thinks god has a toothbrush stuck in his bottom because god was created in Puck's image.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
buck1
b&#601;k/Submit
noun
the male of some antlered animals, esp. the fallow deer, roe deer, reindeer, and antelopes.
a vaulting horse.
verb
(of a horse) to perform a buck.
"he's got to get his head down to buck"
oppose or resist (something that seems oppressive or inevitable).
"the shares bucked the market trend"
informal
make (someone) more cheerful.
"Bella and Jim need me to buck them up"
lowest of a particular rank.
"a buck private"

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#221946 Mar 28, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for sharing Buck. I'll try to bravely soldier on regardless. I must admit though, it's cold and lonely knowing that no scientists share my view.
It might be time to reconsider.

Professor Lewontin:

"... because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism."

Professor Michael Ruse, evolutionist, professor of philosophy and zoology at the University of Guelph, Canada, key witness in 1982 Arkansas trial on "balanced treatment bill":

‘Evolution is promoted by its practitioners as more than mere science. Evolution is promulgated as an ideology, a secular religion—a full-fledged alternative to Christianity, with meaning and morality. I am an ardent evolutionist and an ex-Christian, but I must admit that in this one complaint—and Mr. Gish is but one of many to make it—the literalists are absolutely right. Evolution is a religion. This was true of evolution in the beginning, and it is true of evolution still today."

Professor Thomas Nagel:

"I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isn’t just that I don’t believe in God and, naturally, hope that I’m right in my belief. It’s that I hope there is no God! I don’t want there to be a God; I don’t want the universe to be like that. My guess is that this cosmic authority problem is not a rare condition and that it is responsible for much of the scientism and reductionism of our time. One of the tendencies it supports is the ludicrous overuse of evolutionary biology to explain everything about human life, including everything about the human mind …. This is a somewhat ridiculous situation …. It is just as irrational to be influenced in one’s beliefs by the hope that God does not exist as by the hope that God does exist.”

American Atheists, Webmaster:

“Atheists are NOT ‘secular humanists’,‘freethinkers’,‘rat ionalists’ or ‘ethical culturalists’… Often, people who are Atheists find it useful to masquerade behind such labels."
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#221947 Mar 28, 2014
See atheiescum got nothing, including a sense of humor. They can run, though. Great sprinters when in danger.
Thinking

Cupar, UK

#221948 Mar 28, 2014
Your overuse of capiltalisation = you're a fucktard.
tricki wrote:
<quoted text>
no problem. it is easy. just answer this. TEST ONE
The person who thinks the Coca Cola can had no designer is:
___ A. Intelligent
___ B. A fool
___ C. Has an ulterior motive for denying the obvious
no one of your FOOLISH ilk has found the courage, yet, to do so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) 8 min Eagle 12 - 106
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 12 min Eagle 12 - 69
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) 1 hr Eagle 12 - 154
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Eagle 12 - 80,048
what science will NEVER be able to prove 2 hr Amused 9
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Amused 32,584
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
More from around the web