Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247493 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#221650 Mar 26, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>“Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.”
&#8213; Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Indeed.

Anyone who's anyone, uses an **analog** clock-face on their smartphone's home page...

... <laughing>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#221651 Mar 26, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
It is easily argued that everyone has homosexual tendencies.
Just like everyone has homicidal tendencies.
We humans really are just a collection of ...

.... tendencies, are we not?

It's the ones that we **act** on, that makes the difference.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#221652 Mar 26, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck is a Christian or a Poe.
Either way, He makes the case against deities very well.
Indeed he does.

I think he's just deeply disturbed, and socially inept, myself.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#221653 Mar 26, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently they can type.
Using one hoof at a time?

LMAO!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#221654 Mar 26, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>There was no money in Druidism so it was useless to the con men.
Indeed.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#221655 Mar 26, 2014
input wrote:
<quoted text>
You're once again lying to the whole world on an international forum.
From your location?

I recognize your stench, Mr Genuine Christhole™.

As such, you really ought to get that hate of yours fixed, before you murder again.
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#221656 Mar 26, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Especially for lying to and scaring children.
The harshest punishment to those who knew hell is real and scoffed at it in front of their children, leading them to the same fiery pit they chose.

Dear God
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

#221657 Mar 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I rarely, very rarely, quote Wikipedia.
The boot is a boot, not a shoe (that's why it's called a boot).
Bull.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

#221658 Mar 26, 2014
tricki wrote:
<quoted text>
The harshest punishment to those who knew hell is real and scoffed at it in front of their children, leading them to the same fiery pit they chose.
Dear God
You are the sum of your irrational fears.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#221661 Mar 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Emotions are currently beyond the realm of science.

Happy?
The hell they are.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221662 Mar 27, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Well with all the religions out there and almost all claiming sole ownership of the creator, everyone but one would have to be wrong anyway. Personally I'd be just as happy to be wrong if it turned out what the deal was is that religions all tapped into an idea but got the specifics wrong and everyone has the opportunity to move on to an after-life. Although I'd hope advanced entities such as God would still have some sort of justice system in place. And why create beings that would need one if they didn't approve of the concept themselves?

To me, it has never been about "Im going to Heaven and you are not". It has been a pursuit of the truth on a supernatural level

I have never seen science and faith as natural enemies. A lot of that was manufactured by man trying to have control, power, influence, and money. I'd love to see the idea of science genuinely exploring both with the intention of discovery and not predisposed to disproving as that can create a blind spot and bias. And I'd live to see faith not impede that search. If the truth is what we believe as people of faith, then I would have no reason to fear knowledge or discovery. I personally don't
You left out the possibility-the most likely probability, actually-that ALL of the religions are wrong.

And science, for the most part, makes no effort to prove or disprove god or religion. It just turns out that, so far, every path science has taken in search of truth and knowledge has done that.

And that leads back to the probability-the HIGH probability-that ALL religions got it wrong and are just ancient man's attempts to explain a world they had no way of comprehending the way we do today.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221663 Mar 27, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>Seriously, you equate those?

Ah, there goes the 'rational atheist' oxymoron comparison.
They're pretty equal.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221664 Mar 27, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>It's far more likely that they are all wrong.
It's MOST likely.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221665 Mar 27, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>Interesting question. Are you a vegan?
Even vegan foods are life forms.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221666 Mar 27, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Just as its a lot more likely they are right in more general terms.

A vast, vast majority of people from all walks of life since the dawn of time have believed in some type of creator god. To this day some of the most intelligent minds on the planet, some who are even scientists, believe this to be true.

So it is far more likely the problem is not the concept but rather the ownership.

But here is where I think science hinders itself. It desperately looks to avoid labeling anything as 'supernatural', even if it has absolutely nothing to do with gods or religions or faith. And why? Because to allow the supernatural exists in any firm weakens the search to disprove it in other areas

There should be no agenda from either side other than discovering the truth. But if either side has their mind made up that "whatever the answer is it isn't that...even though it could be" then how effective really is their search for answers?

Just as the church had an agenda against science to keep followers and the money flowing into the coffers when the answer to everything was "God", there are many in science whose goal is to discover something that disproves any supernatural explanation. It isn't objective.

There is no reason for man to be drawing lines in the sand. We should be seeking out as many answers together. Who cares what each individual thinks the answer may be when nobody knows? If truth is really the goal, we should be working together. But often times politics and social reasons and even personal selfish reasons take precedence. How many people are TRULY searching for the truth wherever it may lead? I bet not many
The instant science accepts that "there might be a supernatural explanation" is the instant the search for the truth ends.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221667 Mar 27, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I don't mean as far as day to day living so much as the person as a whole. If I have to spend my afterlife with an unrepentant child rapist that paid no price for his crimes then I'm not gonna be too thrilled about the afterlife. I think right and wrong are concepts that should transcend this existence and justice says there should be a cost that comes with doing harm to others. I don't know what that price should be but there should be something.
That's what we have laws for.

And that's why a religion that claims an all loving, all forgiving god that includes an eternal punishment are logically impossible.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221668 Mar 27, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I completely disagree

Having a different standard of proof or methodology does not mean the two must be natural enemies

For example. The RCC changed how it looked at Genesis and decided it was metaphorical because science showed it couldn't be literal. At least that was the conclusion of some who incorporate both into their thinking. They will actually allow one to help them better understand the other. That isn't a natural enemy

Not to mention, both can co-exist easily if truth is the only pursuit. Some simply believe science limits itself by refusing to allow for the possibility answers may be found in spots they refuse to acknowledge might exist. Or some won't acknowledge it anyway. Someone searching for the truth should exhaust every possibility and leave it in the table so long as it can't be ruled out
Religion has fought the truths of science for centuries. How long did it take the Catholic Church to "forgive" Galileo for being right? How long did it take for Christianity to accept evolution to accept evolution? Hint: they are STILL fighting it tooth and nail.

And just look at the levels of proof required just to get religion to accept that the earth goes around the sun?

No. Science and faith are not compatible. Not by a long shot. And it's not science that has the immutable agenda. It is religion. And when religion is finally forced to accept scientific facts that refute their religious, it rushes to try to justify it's previously held beliefs in whatever convoluted way it can. That's called apologetics, an apt word, IMO.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221669 Mar 27, 2014
input wrote:
All atheists are full of shit and should be slapped across the face at every opportunity.
Well idn't THAT special.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#221670 Mar 27, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Even vegan foods are life forms.
He has trouble telling the difference between a potato and a rock.

LOL

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221671 Mar 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>OOOH lala!

Are we gonna get into a pedantry argument over that too?!?

Cuz I know that boots are footwear, shoes are footwear but boots aren't shoes.
"Shoes" are a general class of footwear.

Boots are a subclass of that general class.

All boots are shoes, but not all shoes are boots.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Eagle 12 12,751
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 4 hr Agents of Corruption 47,818
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... 6 hr QUITTNER Sep 1 2015 12
Proof of God for the Atheist 10 hr Thinking 128
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 10 hr True Christian wi... 10
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 11 hr True Christian wi... 23
Hitler was Catholic 13 hr Pagatheist 2
More from around the web