Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#221097 Mar 24, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
There's video of Bigfoot.
Jesus definitely screwed up by not having his disciples film his sermon on the mount. But then again God had not discovered camcorders yet.

“The true real is unseen”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#221098 Mar 24, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Your premise that an "outside agent" had to begin the process is unsupported.
My evidence against the existence of the biblical god is the bible itself.
And that is just one form of many.
with all due respect, the bible is not for you.

The bible is for believers.

The bible is not necessary for belief in God. The patriarchs of the bible including abraham, issac, david, samuel many other prophets and others did not have written word. They believed in God because of their personal interaction with God.

In fact for many years the hebrews which eventually became the jews had no written word. The Torah came by moses. The Hebrew people was around hundreds of yrs before Moses and they believed in God without the writtten word.

So it's not even a basis for argument that you refuse to believe in bible God because of the contents of the bible. The preferred way for God to cause belief in God is for God to have personal interactions with believers. That is the preferred way of God.

Millions of Christians today in many countries don't have a bible because it's against the law. They had the gospel preached to them, they believed, God confirmed their belief with personal interaction whatever form that may be.

It may may sense to you that what's in the bible disproves God. To those that believe in Bible God, the bible is an optional tool for belief in God. So what makes sense to you is a throwaway to believers.

San Francisco

#221099 Mar 24, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It's outside agents all the way down.
Seriously. The universe necessarily had to have a beginning, but God is infinite because I say so. Why can't the universe be infinite too? We might have evidence that this iteration of the universe had a beginning, but that doesn't mean it's not infinite, and it certainly doesn't mean that Quetzalcoatl, Ra, Brahman, or Jesus did it.

Location hidden

#221100 Mar 24, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
So then every claim made by every religion is equally valid?
Sure. I know what I believe. And I share what I believe. If someone refuse to believe what I believe, then they certainly have the right to believe what they want.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#221101 Mar 24, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
How can someone only think they believe something? Are you saying people cannot be sure of what they believe? That seems a rather silly argument.
Hitler claimed to be a Christian. What if, after a lifetime of being responsible for atrocities, he truly and sincerely accepted Christ when he was confronted with his death? Would Jesus reject him? Paul says that Jesus will accept anyone who honestly accepts Jesus as their savior. Is that not the case?
Yes, that is not the case. You can't accept Jesus as your Savior then turn around and murder people and think that God is just going to ignore that, ignore the atrocities you performed in your life and grant you access to heaven.

Believing that God exists isn't good enough. Satan believes that God exists, he'll never be in Heaven.

Murdering is one of the sure fire ways to get yourself a seat in Hell, Hitler is responsible for murdering millions. The people go to Heaven are those that get right with God, by having a relationship with Him through Jesus.

Yes, Hitler claimed to be a Christian. So what? He's also quoted saying that Christianity is the worst thing to happen to mankind. What kind of a Christian is that?

Location hidden

#221102 Mar 24, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think this outside agent is the Abrahamic God and not something else entirely? And what created the outside agent?
---and your next question will be what created the agent that created the outside agent.

By Faith I believe the God of the bible created the universe.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#221103 Mar 24, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
Millions of Christians today in many countries don't have a bible because it's against the law. They had the gospel preached to them, they believed, God confirmed their belief with personal interaction whatever form that may be.
Do you have a LINK or a CITATION which PROVES the crazy and obviously false claim, above?

No?

Interesting-- you lie about this, too...

San Francisco

#221104 Mar 24, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text> with all due respect, the bible is not for you.
The bible is for believers.
The bible is not necessary for belief in God. The patriarchs of the bible including abraham, issac, david, samuel many other prophets and others did not have written word. They believed in God because of their personal interaction with God.
In fact for many years the hebrews which eventually became the jews had no written word. The Torah came by moses. The Hebrew people was around hundreds of yrs before Moses and they believed in God without the writtten word.
So it's not even a basis for argument that you refuse to believe in bible God because of the contents of the bible. The preferred way for God to cause belief in God is for God to have personal interactions with believers. That is the preferred way of God.
It may may sense to you that what's in the bible disproves God. To those that believe in Bible God, the bible is an optional tool for belief in God. So what makes sense to you is a throwaway to believers.
And yet people don't spontaneously believe in the Abrahamic God. They have to be convinced by other people who were likewise convinced by others. Which is exactly how every other religion on Earth works. That kinda shoots your theory down.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#221105 Mar 24, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
What on Earth makes you think skeptics are only skeptical of religion?
Because that's all you're skeptical about.

San Francisco

#221106 Mar 24, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text>---and your next question will be what created the agent that created the outside agent.
By Faith I believe the God of the bible created the universe.
How do you figure that God can be infinite but the universe can't be?

San Francisco

#221107 Mar 24, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text> Sure. I know what I believe. And I share what I believe. If someone refuse to believe what I believe, then they certainly have the right to believe what they want.
Well obviously, every claim made by every religion can't be true, and thus you've just demonstrated why faith only leads away from truth, not toward it.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#221108 Mar 24, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
TK-421, why aren't you at your post?
TK-421, do you copy?
LOL

Damn it - I love those guys!

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#221109 Mar 24, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists have no fear of saying' "I don't know."
We'd rather admit that than make shit up.
Because Atheists aren't afraid to show and respond through honesty.

Thanks AB for promoting this trait.

If you were to focus just on this trait with so-called "Christians" - they will lie to you or change the subject immediately.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#221110 Mar 24, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Damn it - I love those guys!
I'm optimistic about the upcoming Star Wars trilogy.

You?

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#221112 Mar 24, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
How does homosexual sex affect you?
Are they doing it on your couch?
this question is posed as if you were a sleazy deffense attorney representing demons!

homosexual sex doesn't affect all of civil society nearly as much as does homosexual related legislation; now would it, there johnny cochran?;-)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#221113 Mar 24, 2014
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
Then let's just be agreeable with each other ;-)
i completely agree that you should be my hot assistant and leave our socio-political debating up to me;-)

San Francisco

#221114 Mar 24, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
this question is posed as if you were a sleazy deffense attorney representing demons!
homosexual sex doesn't affect all of civil society nearly as much as does homosexual related legislation; now would it, there johnny cochran?;-)
How does "homosexual legislation" affect non-homosexuals?

San Francisco

#221115 Mar 24, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i completely agree that you should be my hot assistant and leave our socio-political debating up to me;-)
Do you believe that sex should be restricted to two opposite sex people who are married?

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#221116 Mar 24, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
This f**hag is really worried.-/
:-)
yes - pardon me for carring about you, Rosa.....sniffle...:-(

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#221117 Mar 24, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
ADULTERERS? Another irony meter explodes.
just for that Rosa - drop and give me 10 kegles!;-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr geezerjock 23,259
$13.5m for jehovah’s witness sex victim 3 hr P_Smith 2
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 3 hr P_Smith 9
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 4 hr Reason Personified 16
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 5 hr woodtick57 2,612
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 6 hr Morse 1,455
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 7 hr thetruth 168
More from around the web