Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#220994 Mar 23, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
Although I accept "atheist" as a designation to avoid pointless argument, technically I am merely a skeptic, dismissing many religious claims as inconsistent with known science or, unsubstantiated, or indeterminate, but not ruling all of them out altogether. I define my skepticism by my reaction to many ideas: "That's interesting--I wonder whether it's true."
I apply that skepticism to more than just religion and more than just outlandish claims like bigfoot, extraterrestrial visitations, chemtrails, unreferenced statistics, and conspiracy theories in general. I'm especially skeptical of ideas that resonate with what I would like to believe because giving attractive ideas a pass can lead to endless chains of errors and misconceptions.
I would love to believe, for instance, that I am inherently superior to most other people. Alas, no evidence supports that. Same with the ideas that I an immortal part of myself will survive my physical death or that the good that I do can ever compensate for any unintentional harm that I may have done in the past.
Even at my advanced age, for instance, I still feel bad that I accidentally hurt one of my brothers at the age of four and that I may have broken or dislocated the arm of someone who tried to pick my pocket on a Boston subway when I was in my teens. That I have also saved a few lives and once protected a young girl from three rapists changes none of that. There's no balance sheet for things like that, nor can I be forgiven by any except the few whom I have wronged. None of us can.
So there it is. I am a skeptic. Call me atheist if you like, though--I really don't mind.
Ah, now I understand.

A fence rider who judges all on either side. Smacks of both arrogance and cowardice...

And yet, an innate sense of guilt. And the need to compensate.

Where did that come from?

Smile.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#220995 Mar 23, 2014
tricki wrote:
how do you restrain yourself girls?
one half hour w/o an interruption. happens all the time, too.
(way ahead of you babe. WAY WAY ahead)
Woooo! Yo' be krazy...
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#220996 Mar 23, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Talking to yourself?
you like talking to a nut job?

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#220997 Mar 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, now I understand.
A fence rider who judges all on either side. Smacks of both arrogance and cowardice...
And yet, an innate sense of guilt. And the need to compensate.
Where did that come from?
Smile.
And whence comes this animosity, this need to denigrate those with whom you disagree? This need to cast aspersions, to pass judgement with no effort to understand? What need drives that?

We all have histories. Some of us hide them some are more open, even at the risk that some will attempt to make a weapon of that honesty. But those who do so reveal the weaknesses of their positions. When the only possible response is personal attack (ad hominem), one's position is probably beyond salvage.

“Merry Yuletide”

Since: Jun 13

Down Under

#220998 Mar 23, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The Sumerian texts aren't books, they are tablets.
Hail Marduk !
Yes, that was right. Praise Inanna!

“Merry Yuletide”

Down Under

#220999 Mar 23, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
And whence comes this animosity, this need to denigrate those with whom you disagree? This need to cast aspersions, to pass judgement with no effort to understand? What need drives that?
We all have histories. Some of us hide them some are more open, even at the risk that some will attempt to make a weapon of that honesty. But those who do so reveal the weaknesses of their positions. When the only possible response is personal attack (ad hominem), one's position is probably beyond salvage.
Exactly right.
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#221000 Mar 23, 2014
Arobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Talking to yourself?
Fascinating, I know.
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#221001 Mar 23, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Woooo! Yo' be krazy...
Hey krazi, sup girl?

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#221002 Mar 23, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, an insult is strictly speaking not an ad hominem. An ad hominem is saying a person is wrong because of some personal trait that has nothing to do with the argument.

For example...

"You are a red-headed pile of poo" is an insult, but not an ad hominem.

"You are wrong because you are red-headed" is an ad hominem.

<apologies to red heads>

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#221003 Mar 23, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
We see this a lot with our theist posters. Not all, but most. RR, KiMare, Buck etal.

We do see it also with some of our non-believer fellows as well, sadly. It is a human trait to vilify "the other". But we see much more civility among the non-believers. At least, that's the way I see it.

Knoxville, TN

#221004 Mar 23, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, an insult is strictly speaking not an ad hominem. An ad hominem is saying a person is wrong because of some personal trait that has nothing to do with the argument.
For example...
"You are a red-headed pile of poo" is an insult, but not an ad hominem.
"You are wrong because you are red-headed" is an ad hominem.
<apologies to red heads>
True. But I think KiMare's intent/subtext was to attack my credibility, which is what ad hominem is all about.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#221005 Mar 23, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>True. But I think KiMare's intent/subtext was to attack my credibility, which is what ad hominem is all about.
KiMare is here to bash gays, NightSerf.

That's what he does. I've been watching him for a couple years. I'm OK with that because he's not very good at it.

Knoxville, TN

#221006 Mar 23, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
KiMare is here to bash gays, NightSerf.
That's what he does. I've been watching him for a couple years. I'm OK with that because he's not very good at it.
This is an odd place to do that--sexual identity is hardly the focus of the forum or this thread. Does he think we are all gay?

“Merry Yuletide”

Down Under

#221007 Mar 23, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>This is an odd place to do that--sexual identity is hardly the focus of the forum or this thread. Does he think we are all gay?
Only gay in the old fashioned sense, meaning bright and happy. That's from laughing @ it so much.
:-)

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#221008 Mar 23, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>This is an odd place to do that--sexual identity is hardly the focus of the forum or this thread. Does he think we are all gay?
Aren't we all?

I don't speak for him. I just sit back and smile when he continually gets his ass handed to him.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#221009 Mar 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Your posts tell us all we need to know about your education...
Correct. I posted proof of my credentials here several times.

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/GoodOleDarw...

“Merry Yuletide”

Down Under

#221011 Mar 24, 2014
Kimare_is_a_wife_thief wrote:
<quoted text>
One of them is named Greg Kirschmann (aka Kimare)
That one reminds me of this song.

Location hidden

#221012 Mar 24, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
No animosity, just simple honesty. Something also missing from your posts.

You judged my posting an article about the Big Bang as a desperate attempt to support the Bible. When I called you on it, you changed the subject to a self-righteous pontification. It is clear the ad hominem attack and weak position are yours...

While you claim to be a skeptic, I am a redeemed cynic who remains barbarian.

Location hidden

#221013 Mar 24, 2014
And back to the subject at hand:

How does this article address these questions?

What was on the other side of the Big Bang?

How does a proton sized explosion create the vastness of the universe containing all matter?

Where is the edge of the universe?

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_2540382...

"This most extraordinary of ideas was conceived in the most ordinary of circumstances. Linde was lying in bed, sick, at his home in Moscow, during a miserable winter. And his international intellectual life was in limbo, because publication of a paper had been suspended a year during the turbulence at the end of Soviet rule.

"I was living in this state of depression. I was in my bed and unable to do anything," he said. Then came a sudden invitation to visit Italy -- but he had to submit a paper overnight.

"I held my head ... What can I do? What can I do?" he recalled thinking, with less than an hour to write. "And suddenly, I had the theory of eternally expanding inflationary universes, unceasingly producing new universes," of which ours is but one of many.

"It was just pure, from nowhere," he said."

Smile.

Location hidden

#221014 Mar 24, 2014
http://www.space.com/52-the-expanding-univers...

If the density of the universe exceeds a specific critical value, then the universe is "closed" and "positive curved" like the surface of a sphere. This means light beams that are initially parallel will converge slowly, eventually cross and return back to their starting point, if the universe lasts long enough. If so, the universe is not infinite but has no end, just as the area on the surface of a sphere is not infinite but has no beginning nor end to speak of. The universe will eventually stop expanding and start collapsing in on itself, the so-called "Big Crunch."

Isa. 34:4,5 NLT The heavens above will melt away and disappear like a rolled-up scroll.
The stars will fall from the sky like withered leaves from a grapevine, or shriveled figs from a fig tree.

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php...

"Why does the Universe look flat? This was one of the perplexing questions in cosmology for a long time. Today, most astronomers believe in the theory of inflation (and there are pieces of evidence supporting this). According to this theory, the Universe underwent exponential expansion about 10-30 seconds after the Big Bang. The result was that something of the size of an atom expanded to the size of the solar system by the end of the inflationary epoch."

Smile.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 4 min woodtick57 2,303
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 2 hr Thinking 3
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 2 hr TheHeadlines 145
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 11 hr Mikko 2
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 12 hr Thinking 3
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) Sat polymath257 23,199
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Sat Yiago 148
More from around the web