Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#221167 Mar 24, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Possibilities aren't all taken, are they? So how can God know for a fact the results of choices that we never make?
If you come to a fork in the road, you can only choose to go either right or left. You can't simultaneously do both. So if God knows you will go left, can you turn right instead? If yes, then you have free will but God is not omnipotent, if not then God is omnipotent but you don't have free will.
You can make arguments about whether God lives in linear time or not, but we certainly do live in linear time.
Do you think a god you can understand is worthy of the title?

SMile.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#221168 Mar 24, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text>The latest scientific discovery is that the universe had a beginning. Which means an outside agent had to begin the process.
So I don't see your evidence against the existence of God.
You need to update your scientific knowledge Bucko!

http://youtu.be/nZiROWO6iVs

Location hidden

#221169 Mar 24, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you figure that God can be infinite but the universe can't be?
Because we know that the universe had a complex beginning. And the theory is that there are likely multiple universes. We also know that there is likely an end to the universe.

Do you know anything about what you are debating???

Smile.

Location hidden

#221170 Mar 24, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Because Atheists aren't afraid to show and respond through honesty.
Thanks AB for promoting this trait.
If you were to focus just on this trait with so-called "Christians" - they will lie to you or change the subject immediately.
Yes, I can vouch for that...

Smirk.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#221171 Mar 24, 2014
tricki wrote:
Science proves the universe began. From what? No idea. Nothing didn't create the universe, but here it is. God is logical.
I have created. The Universe

Can you prove me wrong?

Go
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#221172 Mar 24, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
The Rapture is any day now...
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
You really have to wonder if this guy is serious or a Poe.
Is that Deluded Dave Nelson?
LLL

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#221173 Mar 24, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No. But that doesn't make me, nor anyone else, an atheist.
An atheist is one who believes no god exists. Is that hard for you to grasp? Because it's really easy for other people.
You have a long history of defining terms to suit your purpose. I find such games dull. Sorry.

San Francisco

#221174 Mar 24, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, yes. It's said that God answers prayer, I've seen that happen.
Whether or not you've seen or if I can prove it to you is irrelevant to the fact that it happened.
There's no objectively verifiable evidence that you love your mom, we have to take your word on it.
There's no objectively verifiable evidence that you like gay sex, we just have to take your word on it.
Capsice?
You remember the times prayer seems to have worked. Have you also tracked all the times that it didn't? Is correlation also causation? Confirmation bias.

If prayers have a demonstrable, empirical effect then why hasn't any scientific evidence for said effect been discovered? In fact, why has the opposite been consistently proved in numerous tests?

San Francisco

#221175 Mar 24, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If existing independently of the universe, as any creator of the universe would necessarily be, god would be independent of universe time, and thus atemporal - not of a chronological beginning.
On the other hand the universe is not independent of time, and reliant on temporal succession of events. It cannot, thus, be infinite.
Time exists in the universe, that doesn't mean that time must therefore be finite.

San Francisco

#221176 Mar 24, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
These bigots must thing that gay sex is the best thing there ever was and that just hinting that it is acceptable will send everyone off to never engage in hetero sex again.
Right.
It always cracks me up. If they can't be convinced to "turn gay" then what makes them think other people can be? Or that gay people can be convinced to "turn straight"?

Gay people are surrounded by straight people and imagery every day all their lives, and none of that makes them straight. But if a gay couple get's married, then straight kids might suddenly turn gay. It makes you wonder how there are any straight people left at all, if straight people are so amazingly susceptible to suggestion as that.

San Francisco

#221177 Mar 24, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently scientists see it differently.
Oh, and rational atheist scientists do too. The first to assert the Big Bang now isn't so sure about God.
Interesting that countless cultures believe in the supernatural, but not one single culture has accepted ss couples as married for any length of time.
Smile.
<quoted text>
Which culture was that? Why, in 8,000 years has there NEVER been a place where ss couples established themselves as married and spread?
The likelihood is, the current situation will end like all the others. A temporary aberration of history. You can't build anything permanent on a fallacy.
Smile.
Time will tell.

;)

San Francisco

#221178 Mar 24, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think a god you can understand is worthy of the title?
SMile.
I think any God which really existed and was interested in belief by humans, and indeed if humans are supposedly created in the image of this deity, then it's perfectly reasonable to expect such a deity to be reasonably understood.

So if I told you that the universe was created by an deity called Tihsllub who expected you to worship it all your life or it would send you to Hell, but you are totally incapable of understanding or even detecting it's presence, would yo start worshiping it?

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#221179 Mar 24, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Time exists in the universe, that doesn't mean that time must therefore be finite.
Time is only finite when counted. There is no reason to think all time has or could ever be counted.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#221180 Mar 24, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
You remember the times prayer seems to have worked. Have you also tracked all the times that it didn't? Is correlation also causation? Confirmation bias.
If prayers have a demonstrable, empirical effect then why hasn't any scientific evidence for said effect been discovered? In fact, why has the opposite been consistently proved in numerous tests?
I don't believe in unanswered prayers. I believe that God answers them all, even if the answer is no.

If love has a demonstrable, empirical effect then why hasn't any scientific evidence for said effect been discovered?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#221181 Mar 24, 2014
wilderide wrote:
It always cracks me up. If they can't be convinced to "turn gay" then what makes them think other people can be? Or that gay people can be convinced to "turn straight"?
Because people are different.

When a man can date, marry and have sex with nothing but women for thirty years then all of a sudden find Mr Right, he's effectively turned gay, or at least bi.

Location hidden

#221182 Mar 24, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Time will tell.
;)
It already has. Numerous times.

Guess what the definition of insanity is...

Smirk.

Location hidden

#221183 Mar 24, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I think any God which really existed and was interested in belief by humans, and indeed if humans are supposedly created in the image of this deity, then it's perfectly reasonable to expect such a deity to be reasonably understood.
So if I told you that the universe was created by an deity called Tihsllub who expected you to worship it all your life or it would send you to Hell, but you are totally incapable of understanding or even detecting it's presence, would yo start worshiping it?
The context was a human constrained by time understanding a God who is not.

Shifting the subject to your angry twist of Christianity is hardly an honest reply. The fact that it was necessary for you to do so answers my question.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#221184 Mar 24, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text>---and your next question will be what created the agent that created the outside agent.

By Faith I believe the God of the bible created the universe.
And by faith alone.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#221185 Mar 24, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>this question is posed as if you were a sleazy deffense attorney representing demons!

homosexual sex doesn't affect all of civil society nearly as much as does homosexual related legislation; now would it, there johnny cochran?;-)
Can't answer, eh?

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#221186 Mar 24, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Infinite regression argument does not apply, since god, as theorized. is independent of chronological time.

You atheists humps need to update your arguments.

("chronological" means arranged in order of succession of time)
The singularity is independent of chronological time too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min marlboro man 79,908
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 2 hr blacklagoon 3 59
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Wed Eagle 12 - 32,581
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Sep 16 blacklagoon 3 91
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Sep 15 xfrodobagginsx 101
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
what science will NEVER be able to prove Sep 15 Me _ Myself _ I 8
More from around the web