Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#220647 Mar 21, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
"The vagus nerve in the stage 16 embryo is very large in relation to the aortic arch system. The recurrent laryngeal nerve has a greater proportion of connective tissue than other nerves, making it more resistant to stretch. It has been suggested that tension applied by the left recurrent laryngeal nerve as it wraps around the ductus arteriosus could provide a means of support that would permit the ductus to develop as a muscular artery, rather than an elastic artery"
- Gray's Anatomy, 39th edition 2005, p. 1053.
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean in relation to the evolution of the laryngeal nerve. It is purely descriptive of the anatomy and has nothing to do with its evolution.

Typical Buck post...a total non sequitur.
Buck Crick wrote:
Biologist Wolf-Ekkehard Lönnig:
"So, today's evolutionary explanations (as is also true for many other so-called rudimentary routes and organs) are not only often in contradiction to their own premises but also tend to stop looking for (and thus hinder scientific research concerning) further important morphological and physiological functions yet to be discovered. In contrast, the theory of intelligent design regularly predicts further functions (also) in these cases and thus is scientifically much more fruitful and fertile than the neo-Darwinian exegesis."
Yes, Buck, and for every odd-ball biologist such as Lonnig I can post a thousand biologists that disagree with him. You should know by now that you can almost always find one "expert" that will take whatever position you are looking for. In Lonnig, you have succeeding in finding a crank that agrees with you. Congratulations.

Even Lonnig's own department at the Max Planck Institute criticized him for his anti-evolution views. He is on the fringe, no where near the mainstream of biology.

He is definitely off his rocker in his last sentence, because ID regularly predicts...nothing. It has no stated mechanisms (other than "some entity did something at sometime by unknown means"). Without clear, testable mechanisms one can not make any scientific predictions.

Today's reading assignment is on the laryngeal nerve and its implications of evolution.

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2011/...

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#220648 Mar 21, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
No, ToE would not predict any such thing, once the positions of the nerve and the blood vessel were fixed. It would require a discontinuity to have the nerve "jump" from one side of the vessel to the other. There is no know mechanism for such to happen. Therefore, once the configuration was fixed, it remained that way.
If you understood the mechanisms of evolution, you would know this.
(BTW...evolutionary biology is littered with such kluges where more efficient patterns would work, but the biological history prevents such patterns from existing. For example, the spinal column of humans. The tetrapod spine works wonderfully like a suspension bridge in a horizontal position. But in the vertical position in humans, it leads to disk compression in older individuals. It is not an efficient design. But the horizontal spine of quadrupeds was all that was available for evolution to work on.)
And you once claimed to have a degree in biology. What a joke you are.
He has a degree in fundiedenial biology.

#220649 Mar 21, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
What would intelligent design predict?
Exacatacally.

#220650 Mar 21, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>We? Billions of Christians spread across 40,000 schisms is hardly a we. Each Christian has a god modeled after themselves. A dystopian army of one.
Isn't it amazing how for every believer, his God's opinions are exactly the same as those of the believer?

And change believers, God's opinions change as well.

#220651 Mar 21, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Coward.
Typical Buck. He won't address real arguments. Buck arguments consist of calling people names.

At least, most of the time. And always when you bring in the writings of an expert. Buck will not even bother to glance at them.

A "seeker of truth" my arse. All Buck is interested in is validation of his own beliefs.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#220652 Mar 21, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Cain is a fictional character in an ancient fable.
Is that your Topix Atheist! lack of belief?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220653 Mar 21, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>He answered that in the statement. He wrote, "His god", which, for a Christian, means the individual themselves.
No shit, Sherlock.

I was making fun of all the stupid ass atheists that bore their repetitive "which god?" billshit.

#220654 Mar 21, 2014
This is kinda weird.

WBC tweeted...

"Westboro Baptist Church thanks God for Fred Phelps Sr.’s passing"

I suspect the new WBC management was a bit careless in their wording. If that isn't the case, they must have had a great dislike for their former pastor (whom they excommunicated a few months back).

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220655 Mar 21, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>You're very fond of dictionary definitions. According to the dictionary, Christianity is a cult. I don't think it is because it is a Self-Idolizing Army of One with Dear Leader as a mere smokescreen.
Christianity doesn't fit the definition of a cult.

Dumb ass.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#220656 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No shit, Sherlock.
I was making fun of all the stupid ass atheists that bore their repetitive "which god?" billshit.
It's only fair.
We had to read your "prove you have hands" nonsense for months...

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#220657 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Is that your Topix Atheist! lack of belief?
I'm a full time atheist.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

#220658 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No shit, Sherlock.
Are you drunk already this morning. Your attempt at "making fun" is stupid when the poster already described which one he was referring to. It is not your heretic, jack-legged non-description of Dear Leader who is really just your childish ego and ugly id.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

#220659 Mar 21, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't it amazing how for every believer, his God's opinions are exactly the same as those of the believer?
And change believers, God's opinions change as well.
And it is fully evident in the way they speak. I am going to Heaven. I have been saved. Jesus loves me. Wait, Jesus loves Me, for after all, they are their own deity. Then, you're evil. You're going to Hell for not believing like me.*

* Yes, Christers, some no longer prattle about the Hell concept. Once again, the immoral mythology changes with the secular times. Infinite torture for finite thought crime is immoral by modern standards, after all.

I wonder if current American Christers know that just 100 years ago they would be considered heretics for their beliefs.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

#220660 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that your Topix Atheist! lack of belief?
Once again, in English, please, for those that aren't already drunk.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#220661 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Christianity isn't a cult.
Yes it is.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Thanks for sharing your belief.
Or is that your lack of belief?
I lack belief in all deities, including those that nobody believes in or has ever imagined.

Christianity is a cult based on mythology.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

#220662 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity doesn't fit the definition of a cult.
Dumb ass.
Your reading comprehension skills are terrible when your elbow is working full time.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cul...

It certainly fits definition 2 in the blue box and 1, 2, and 5 in the white box. And, yes, "Topix Atheists" could fit definition 2 in the blue box.

Every time you get involved with a dictionary, you look more foolish. Enjoy your cult.
IPSEC

Fort Worth, TX

#220663 Mar 21, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
This is kinda weird.
WBC tweeted...
"Westboro Baptist Church thanks God for Fred Phelps Sr.’s passing"
I suspect the new WBC management was a bit careless in their wording. If that isn't the case, they must have had a great dislike for their former pastor (whom they excommunicated a few months back).
He was a scumbag, you know, a Fundie.

http://www.vice.com/read/fred-phelps-has-died

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#220664 Mar 21, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:

I disagree.
What else do you not understand? I'll see if I can help you better understand your religion.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
See, this is the problem with 'rational atheist' oxymorons. You don't know what you don't know but you think you do.
You don't know my belief system.
You don't know who Jesus Christ is, how do you know He is not the Creator?
Smile.
I disagreed to your post - in order to facilitate a discussion.

I can see you refused or don't know how to do that.

If this is your stance - name calling and all....then you really don't know anythign about your religion.

"how do you know He is not the Creator?"
- Jesus never called himself such.....neither should you....if you follow Jesus in any sense of his teachings.

#220665 Mar 21, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>He was a scumbag, you know, a Fundie.
http://www.vice.com/read/fred-phelps-has-died
Some have suggested picketing his funeral. I disagree. That would be stooping to his level, which is something I refuse to do.

Oddly, in his last days as pastor he seemed to be taking a half step back from his intolerance of gays. The board of the church "excommunicated" him...tossed him out for this view. They also were of the opinion that women have a subservient position in the church and tossed out his daughter who had been their long-time media contact. And one of the board members that tossed her out of her position was her own son.

From what I have heard, the quality of their communications has degenerated to about the level of RR's discourse.

#220666 Mar 21, 2014
I disagree.
What else do you not understand? I'll see if I can help you better understand your religion.
<quoted text>
I disagreed to your post - in order to facilitate a discussion.
I can see you refused or don't know how to do that.
If this is your stance - name calling and all....then you really don't know anythign about your religion.
"how do you know He is not the Creator?"
- Jesus never called himself such.....neither should you....if you follow Jesus in any sense of his teachings.
This is something that KM is always trying to pull..."You don't know my belief system!"

But IANS has it right. KM may not have given us the specifics, but one can clearly infer from his posts what the major points of his beliefs are. He is far more transparent than he thinks he is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 7 min Morse 1,041
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 26 min Friend of all 14,455
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 4 hr thetruth 29
Young atheists: The political leaders of tomorrow 5 hr thetruth 6
Why Christians should stick up for atheists 5 hr thetruth 8
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 16 hr QUITTNER Nov 27 2014 31
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 22 hr Richardfs 1,423

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE