Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258475 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#220861 Mar 22, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
Good.
I don't question yours.
I know you're a liar.
Oh.

So your "question everything" statement was bullshit.

Good to know.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220862 Mar 22, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent response.
You have acquired a new name, Redneck.
You will now be sometimes referred to as PhelpsLite.
Enjoy.
Enjoy watching your childish behavior?

Will do, boss.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220863 Mar 22, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
Atheists have no fear of saying' "I don't know."
Bullshit.

Atheists are very fond of saying there is no god. They say it all the time.

Agnostics are the ones saying they don't know.
Kimare_is_a_wife _thief

Saint Louis, MO

#220864 Mar 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No. You can assume every outcome, God already knows it.
<quoted text>
Knowing every possible outcome is omniscience.
You roll that die, you know it could be one of did numbers, but you don't know which one it will be. God does.
<quoted text>
Adam and Eve were by no means preprogrammed to please God, none of us are. That's our free will.
God knew where they were, just as you know your child ate the cookies but you still ask him "Did you eat those cookies"? You want him to be honest, as God did with Adam & Eve.
Satan didn't thwart anything. The fact that he was there shows that was God's will, just as it is your will to see how your child will respond to situations, knowing that he might will fail, giving him the choice of right and wrong, exercising his free will and teaching him to take responsibility for his actions.
If god can see into the future then free will is impossible. How can you have a choice in the matter, if it is predetermined before you are even born. Either your God can see into the future and there is no free will and hence no sin, or your God can not see into the future and is not omniscient. Simple logic dictates that you cannot have it both ways.
truth

Saint Louis, MO

#220865 Mar 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
Atheists are very fond of saying there is no god. They say it all the time.
Agnostics are the ones saying they don't know.
Actually, it's more like "there's absolutely no logical reason or any substantial proof provided as to the existence of mythological beings. Until someone shows some proof, considering sky fairies to be real is an exercise in stupidity."

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#220866 Mar 22, 2014
tricki wrote:
how do atheists explain the universe?
they ask why is it necessary to explain the universe
The basic problem with that question is that it assumes that all atheists think alike. Individual atheists may or may not have an answer for you, but each one will reflect the thinking of only that one person. Those who care about explaining the universe (not all do) will tend to turn to science, but only those who have chosen astrophysics for a career will be able to answer with any real confidence. Odds are you won't be able to understand any of those answer (don't fret--neither would I).

The short answer is that few of us have ideas about the origin, history, or current state of the universe that we can successfully defend. We're too busy earning our livings, fixing our cars, cleaning our houses, and pursuing our other interests to put the time into understanding the science beyond a fairly basic level.

And ultimately, as you intuited, atheists have no duty to explain themselves to you or anyone else, no more duty to defend their lack of belief than you have to defend your beliefs. It is, quite frankly, none of your business.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220867 Mar 22, 2014
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it's more like "there's absolutely no logical reason or any substantial proof provided as to the existence of mythological beings. Until someone shows some proof, considering sky fairies to be real is an exercise in stupidity."
Ya...... I don't believe in sky fairies, so...

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#220868 Mar 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya...... I don't believe in sky fairies, so...
Just in invisible and imaginary friends huh?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#220869 Mar 22, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists have no fear of saying' "I don't know."
We'd rather admit that than make shit up.
Good grief - you're not actually trying to engage the lunatic 'tricki'?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#220870 Mar 22, 2014
Kimare_is_a_wife_thief wrote:
<quoted text>
If god can see into the future then free will is impossible. How can you have a choice in the matter, if it is predetermined before you are even born. Either your God can see into the future and there is no free will and hence no sin, or your God can not see into the future and is not omniscient. Simple logic dictates that you cannot have it both ways.
Dude, the religious never let a little thing like "logic" get in their way...

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#220871 Mar 22, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
The basic problem with that question is that it assumes that all atheists think alike. Individual atheists may or may not have an answer for you, but each one will reflect the thinking of only that one person. Those who care about explaining the universe (not all do) will tend to turn to science, but only those who have chosen astrophysics for a career will be able to answer with any real confidence. Odds are you won't be able to understand any of those answer (don't fret--neither would I).
The short answer is that few of us have ideas about the origin, history, or current state of the universe that we can successfully defend. We're too busy earning our livings, fixing our cars, cleaning our houses, and pursuing our other interests to put the time into understanding the science beyond a fairly basic level.
And ultimately, as you intuited, atheists have no duty to explain themselves to you or anyone else, no more duty to defend their lack of belief than you have to defend your beliefs. It is, quite frankly, none of your business.
Much depends on what "explaining the universe" means, my friend.
Astronomers can explain the universe with star maps and charts.
Astrophysicists can explain star life cycles and the physical processes of the universe.
Cosmologists try to explain the origin, evolution, and eventual fate of the universe.
On the other hand a Captain with a sextant can explain the universe as a navigational aid.
While the everyday guy may just figure the heavens are that huge thing above their head and
no explanation is needed.
But most importantly like you say without saying ....the explanation of universe isn't really a atheist agenda, it is either philosophical, religious or scientific endeavor. With the least explanatory power residing with the religious explanation.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#220872 Mar 22, 2014
tricki wrote:
<quoted text>Same with the godly.

But you atheists said, why is it required to know, so don't lie.
What?
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#220873 Mar 22, 2014
not only do i say what they will say, but who will say it.

i am king

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220874 Mar 22, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
Just in invisible and imaginary friends huh?
Nope.
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#220875 Mar 22, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
What?
I AM KING!
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#220876 Mar 22, 2014
K I N G!

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220877 Mar 22, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Much depends on what "explaining the universe" means, my friend.
Astronomers can explain the universe with star maps and charts.
Astrophysicists can explain star life cycles and the physical processes of the universe.
Cosmologists try to explain the origin, evolution, and eventual fate of the universe.
On the other hand a Captain with a sextant can explain the universe as a navigational aid.
While the everyday guy may just figure the heavens are that huge thing above their head and
no explanation is needed.
But most importantly like you say without saying ....the explanation of universe isn't really a atheist agenda, it is either philosophical, religious or scientific endeavor. With the least explanatory power residing with the religious explanation.
Humans cannot explain the universe, not yet anyway.

All we can do right now is look as far as we can see.

Imagine if all you could do was look at the ocean, but never dive down into it. You couldn't do much explaining just by looking at it.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#220878 Mar 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Imagine if all you could do was look at the ocean, but never dive down into it. You couldn't do much explaining just by looking at it.
Humans can explain very much about the universe, but like anything "everything" cannot be explained. It's like I said , it depends on what you're calling "explain" to mean.
But as far as "All we can do right now is look as far as we can see" that's incorrect and terribly short sighted as to what we can do in determining the nature of the universe.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#220879 Mar 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Not knowing everything about the Universe is no excuse for failing to realise that gods and fairies aren't real.
These gods
godchecker.com
are man's creations, as are fairies. And there is simply no evidence of an interventionist god interested in humans,(much less an Abrahamic god). All evidence points to modern humans only having existed for a few tens of thousands of years and scientific method and the industrial revolution are new in geological time. There's naturally a lot we don't know after such a short existence but gods and fairies help us no more than religions or religious faith.

Scientific method, critical thinking and freedom of speech are invaluable. Clerics will 'soon' take their place where they belong beside druids, sooth-sayers and medicine-men.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#220880 Mar 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No. You can assume every outcome, God already knows it.
<quoted text>
Knowing every possible outcome is omniscience.
....blabber, blabber.......
&fe ature=kp

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 2 hr replaytime 711
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr SoE 76,871
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 7 hr The FACTory 4,299
hell is a real place. so.. ahtiesm is a faux li... 16 hr Ben Avraham 11
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Jul 18 John 4,952
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Jul 18 John 32,164
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Jul 17 Eagle 12 - 6,123
More from around the web