Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 257146 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#220732 Mar 21, 2014
BenAdam wrote:

Still waiting for you to provide that velocity formula.
What velocity formula?
Are you a coward a liar or a moron ?
You left out a comma.
BTW, where are those gnats you claim you can get "God" to create for you at will.

I never have made that claim.

I actually refuted that with you already, Mr Forget.
"Since a witch can't create gnats from nothing that proves their religion is false." - RR
That proves they can't perform magic.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220733 Mar 21, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go lying again.
You are the one claiming that life is deterministic otherwise all prophecies could be contravened.
Ya, no. I've actually argued quote the opposite.

You're a Godamned dumb ass.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#220734 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What velocity formula?
<quoted text>
You left out a comma.
<quoted text>
I never have made that claim.
I actually refuted that with you already, Mr Forget.
<quoted text>
That proves they can't perform magic.
The most accurate formula for calculating combined velocities of objects.

Two cars traveling at 55 MPH collide head on. What is the most accurate formula for calculating their combined velocity ?
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#220735 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya, no. I've actually argued quote the opposite.
You're a Godamned dumb ass.
I can't help but notice that Catcher hasn't berated you in the last three or four days.
Do you think he's found god?

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#220736 Mar 21, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
This is something that KM is always trying to pull..."You don't know my belief system!"
But IANS has it right. KM may not have given us the specifics, but one can clearly infer from his posts what the major points of his beliefs are. He is far more transparent than he thinks he is.
Hi DS.

Maybe - but that wouldn't warrant is complete dismissal of my effort to begin a discussion.

I betcha, being honest with himself, or just expressing honesty, openly, may have something to do with his response.

Facts about religion:
- it exists
- it is man-made
- there is no physical evidence of any god
- there isn't any true so-called "Christian", Islamist, or Jewish person. I can't say much to the Buddhist, because they and the Hindus, are pretty hardcore when it comes to some "spiritualism", thus - there could be some "true" people in those religions. I'm just not to sure.....*shrugs*.....
- there is evidence of a spiritual world / another dimension - though is dismissed by many
- there are people who claim to have returned from this "other world", but did they really? A chemical imbalance at the time of death? An illusion while in a 'coma' like condition? WHo knows. I've never died and came back.
+ reference Dr. Raymond Moody - "Life After Life" c.1974

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220737 Mar 21, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The most accurate formula for calculating combined velocities of objects.
Two cars traveling at 55 MPH collide head on. What is the most accurate formula for calculating their combined velocity ?
I don't know and I don't care. That kind of math never interested me. I pretty much gave up when they starting adding letters to it.

But I can simply look at your driveway and judge very accurately how many yards of concrete you'll need for a new one.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220738 Mar 21, 2014
Anon wrote:
I can't help but notice that Catcher hasn't berated you in the last three or four days.
Catcher hasn't been here?

Huh. I didn't notice.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#220739 Mar 21, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been away for the last three or four days.

Not specifically looking for a god, but I did keep my eyes and ears peeled in case one tried to sneak up on me.

No gods appeared (and it was a very successful trip).

As for the Redneck: What's the use? He's hopeless, ignorant, brainwashed, wiseass high school dropout, but I may continue to goof on the poor slob.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#220740 Mar 21, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter HOW much we learn about the universe or life or anything else. No matter how small a gap we leave in our knowledge, they will ALWAYS manage to stuff their god into it somehow.
Sonny, your comprehension sucks. You flunked out didn't you?

A former atheist scientist saw the light.

No one stuffed anything you bigot idiot.

Smile.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#220741 Mar 21, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Eventually there will be so little for "God" to do that "God" will be so small as to be classified as a virus.
You are a little late, atheists wrote God's obituary fifty years ago. For the thousandth time.

Snicker smirk.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220742 Mar 21, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been away for the last three or four days.
Not specifically looking for a god, but I did keep my eyes and ears peeled in case one tried to sneak up on me.
No gods appeared (and it was a very successful trip).
As for the Redneck: What's the use? He's hopeless, ignorant, brainwashed, wiseass high school dropout, but I may continue to goof on the poor slob.
Thanks, man.

I heard you were gone.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#220743 Mar 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently scientists see it differently.
Oh, and rational atheist scientists do too. The first to assert the Big Bang now isn't so sure about God.
Interesting that countless cultures believe in the supernatural, but not one single culture has accepted ss couples as married for any length of time.
Smile.
Another one bites the dust.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/21/justice/michiga...

Big smile.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#220744 Mar 21, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text> That's because there is no point to life without God. Knowledge and information is important. But until mankind finds a way to eliminate death, then all the theories in the world about how this universe and mankind came into existence is just mindless blather.
Death comes to everyone. Underline that. Death is the issue. And that is the reason why it does not matter how much knowledge there is, Religion will always be a top subject. Because religion is the only subject that deals with death and God. Science deals with life on earth and knowing. Science cannot compete with death. And that is why Science cannot compete with God. because most people believe after death, then God.
Sorry, but to me, making sh*t up just so you feel good and don't have to face your fears is pretty irrational.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#220745 Mar 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I offend you? I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were so touchy. I'll try to be more sensitive.
Questions.
Does the bulk of Christianity consider Jesus Creator?
Why?
You don't know my belief system.
Smile.
You didn't offend me. But you did reveal that you can't have a discussion without dropping to a lower level.

"Does the bulk of Christianity consider Jesus Creator?"
- you are asking the wrong question. I understand that you don't want to be honest, but to get to the 'truth'- if it actually exists, then you need to begin with:

"Where does Jesus call himself the Creator?" You know....something like - "I am the Creator."....or even, "I am God."
- claiming "John" said Jesus said, is a bit of a stretch, don't you think, considering "John" is not a proven being - as to whom wrote the text. He is an unknown. Thus, his words are considered as a second-hand source and not 100% accurate.

Another point you should be addressing is - "Where does 'God' specifically state which texts are of 'His' inspiration and which are not?" And then go from there to, "Where does 'God' specifically state which bishops at the Council of Nicea have the authority to decide which are of "God's inspiration" and which are not?" Especially when "God" inspires EVERYONE - which is a fundamental belief in your religion.

Do you limit "God's" inspiration?

No other person in this world and reality, can be inspired by "God" to write another "gospel"?

I still disagree.

- who is anyone to state that one is not inspired by this "God"? Who is anyone who thinks they know the mind of this "God", to claim they know whom is inspired and who isn't.

There you go.....questions for you to answer, in order for me to get clarification of what you actually believe.

Or do you just - uhm....follow along with everyone else?

Cheers!

#220746 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is, you lied.
You said "the church" excommunicated Phelps, not "his church".
You atheists have done everything you can to make it painfully obvious that when you say "the church", you don't mean a particular church, you mean "Christian doctrine" and "Christianity".
The point.
Jeez. Talk about a pedantic a-hole.

Were you completely unable to parse from the context that "the church" meant "Westboro Baptist Church"? Or are you really that stupid? You don't have to answer that. We already know the answer.
tricki

Manheim, PA

#220747 Mar 21, 2014
Glory forever and life more abundantly now
tricki

Manheim, PA

#220748 Mar 21, 2014
Hard to lose.

Impossible to lose

#220749 Mar 21, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't offend me. But you did reveal that you can't have a discussion without dropping to a lower level.
"Does the bulk of Christianity consider Jesus Creator?"
- you are asking the wrong question. I understand that you don't want to be honest, but to get to the 'truth'- if it actually exists, then you need to begin with:
"Where does Jesus call himself the Creator?" You know....something like - "I am the Creator."....or even, "I am God."
- claiming "John" said Jesus said, is a bit of a stretch, don't you think, considering "John" is not a proven being - as to whom wrote the text. He is an unknown. Thus, his words are considered as a second-hand source and not 100% accurate.
Another point you should be addressing is - "Where does 'God' specifically state which texts are of 'His' inspiration and which are not?" And then go from there to, "Where does 'God' specifically state which bishops at the Council of Nicea have the authority to decide which are of "God's inspiration" and which are not?" Especially when "God" inspires EVERYONE - which is a fundamental belief in your religion.
Do you limit "God's" inspiration?
No other person in this world and reality, can be inspired by "God" to write another "gospel"?
I still disagree.
- who is anyone to state that one is not inspired by this "God"? Who is anyone who thinks they know the mind of this "God", to claim they know whom is inspired and who isn't.
There you go.....questions for you to answer, in order for me to get clarification of what you actually believe.
Or do you just - uhm....follow along with everyone else?
Cheers!
You might also consider that there are a great many gospels besides the four that were approved by the Council of Nicaea.

#220750 Mar 21, 2014
tricki wrote:
Glory forever and life more abundantly now
I don't know about glory forever, since life is finite, but science has definitely led to more abundant life.
tricki

Manheim, PA

#220751 Mar 21, 2014
Nuts. Must have been offensive. Many of my posts went bye-bye. Amalgam krazi Nawton ians demonic surgeon, struck a nerve I see.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 10 min par five 447
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 36 min Paul WV-Uncle Sam 386
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 57 min Brian_G 20,324
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 2 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 10,369
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr Eagle 12 21,416
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 4 hr Patrick 556
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 hr SoE 45,560
More from around the web