Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#220371 Mar 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Tell that to Haeckel and his fake embryo drawings that are still in high school "science" books.
Your church didn't do you any favors filling your head with such disrespect for science and academics. Are you teaching your sons the same? The culture at large doesn't care much whether the better jobs go to them or to other kids, but you should.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#220372 Mar 20, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The sciences advance faster than publishers can keep up.
At PSU I was taking an undergraduate and graduate biology course at the same time. The undergraduate text was 20 years behind the graduate one. It contained a few things that were later clarified, corrected and improved on in the years since it was published.
Even today, some of the research we were working on 15 years ago is still unpublished and some even kept secret for ethical reasons (the public would not be able to handle certain facts discovered).
For example, almost every act of unprotected sex while a woman is ovulating results in a conception followed by an almost spontaneous (within a week) miscarriage.
This a reason why home pregnancy tests are designed to detect a pregnancy after a week or more. Most of the "false pregnancies" reported are actually miscarriages. Doctors don;t reveal this to the women because it would be too traumatic to know how many miscarriages they have had.
Even those who have not focused their academic efforts on science can get a sense of the pace at which science moves--which is truly staggering--by following its progress at a distance via such sites as Scientific American or Science Daily. I really like the latter, not only because it is free, but because its scope is wide. Granted, the cutting edge work takes time to appear even in this watered down form, but I am still astounded at the pace of new discovery in such a wide array of fields. In fact, I think I'll log out of Topix and take a look right now.

Hot diggedy dog!

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#220373 Mar 20, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>By that argument, motels don't exist either.
Come to think of it, jesus is a made up name. Names are words. Ar ar has proven that jesus does not exist.

Since: Mar 14

Chester, UK

#220374 Mar 20, 2014
Human beings are a species of just another creature, flies, bats, sheep, cows, horses, etc etc etc are all species. We are just the same as them except with a higher intellect... When you splat a fly on the window, it doesn't nip off to heaven, it disintegrates just like any other creature does when dead.(This unfortunately is the same thing that happens to us) we disintegrate... Unfortunately for many many many years we have all been brainwashed into thinking some magical power made us all...
Simply NOT TRUE..... we evolved and we die, and that's the end of it..... Believe in God, Believe in Tooth Fairies. and Father Christmas, and every other Mythical Story..... When the world stops believing in all this silly religion we then may have peace in the world..... and enjoy what we have left of it........!!
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#220375 Mar 20, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Or she, in fact. Jeanne Calment lived the longest life in modern times, which is documented.
http://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/05/world/jeann...
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-5...
That name rang a bell. So I Googled. And yup:

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TSHQAVD...

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#220376 Mar 20, 2014
whitepantycrazy wrote:
Human beings are a species of just another creature, flies, bats, sheep, cows, horses, etc etc etc are all species. We are just the same as them except with a higher intellect... When you splat a fly on the window, it doesn't nip off to heaven, it disintegrates just like any other creature does when dead.(This unfortunately is the same thing that happens to us) we disintegrate... Unfortunately for many many many years we have all been brainwashed into thinking some magical power made us all...
Simply NOT TRUE..... we evolved and we die, and that's the end of it..... Believe in God, Believe in Tooth Fairies. and Father Christmas, and every other Mythical Story..... When the world stops believing in all this silly religion we then may have peace in the world..... and enjoy what we have left of it........!!
First you put us under the Law of the Jungle, then you turn around and want to 'subdue the world and rule over it'. Confused a bit???

Snicker.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#220377 Mar 20, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Come to think of it, jesus is a made up name. Names are words. Ar ar has proven that jesus does not exist.
The Hebrew name 'Yeshua' and its variants is one of the most common ancient Hebrew names.

Jesse, Jesus, Joshua, etc. are like the English WIll, Bill, Billy, William. The same basic name.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#220378 Mar 20, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Your church didn't do you any favors filling your head with such disrespect for science and academics. Are you teaching your sons the same? The culture at large doesn't care much whether the better jobs go to them or to other kids, but you should.
Ignorance is often hereditary. Children get from their parents.

“Electronic graffiti”

Since: Jun 13

Botany Bay

#220379 Mar 20, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
That name rang a bell. So I Googled. And yup:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TSHQAVD...
You've heard of her then. I first read about Jeanne Calment in the Guiness Book of Records.

Apparently she met Van Gogh when she was young.

“Electronic graffiti”

Since: Jun 13

Botany Bay

#220380 Mar 20, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignorance is often hereditary. Children get from their parents.
LOL

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#220381 Mar 20, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>The Hebrew name 'Yeshua' and its variants is one of the most common ancient Hebrew names.

Jesse, Jesus, Joshua, etc. are like the English WIll, Bill, Billy, William. The same basic name.
Basic names are made up, like any other word is made up. By humans. We made them up. Sheesh.

Human is a made up word. We don't exist.
hittonmcc

New Eagle, PA

#220382 Mar 20, 2014

Amazing it takes only rejection
hittonmcc

New Eagle, PA

#220383 Mar 20, 2014
tricki

Boyertown, PA

#220384 Mar 20, 2014
Jesus is. Stalin said so.
Adolfie, too
FOOLS don't get it

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#220385 Mar 20, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yadda, yadda.
Ken Miller holds himself out as a modern-day, up-to-date expert.
He writes articles and gives speeches criticizing Intelligent Design.
And used Haeckel's discredited recapitulation theory in the textbook he wrote.
Provide some sort of link.

Just because you say it, doesn't make it so.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#220386 Mar 20, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You linked to spin control.
You didn't link a thing.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#220387 Mar 20, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
More spin. Wells proved the motivation to exaggerate evidence for Darwinism.
Link to that.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#220388 Mar 20, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Garsh, now you gone and done it. Y'all makin' me blush. Land 0' Goshen! What the hell does Land O' Goshen mean? I could Google it, but I just don't want to...
It's the sister of Land O' Lakes.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#220389 Mar 20, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Provide some sort of link.
Just because you say it, doesn't make it so.
I already provided the excerpt from Miller's book. You should believe his book about his book.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#220390 Mar 20, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:

SCIENCE doesn't do that. A few unprincipled, dishonest scientists do that.
If you are going to denigrate science for "making sh*t up", why don't you denigrate religion, which makes everything up?{SNIP}
This isn't a science vs religion debate.
Practically everything you said. Why bother going into details.
No please, go into details. Which parts of this are BS:

That doesn't excuse science lying to the population and making shit up.

Most people have heard of or been taught the idea that the human embryo goes through various evolutionary stages, such as having gills like a fish, a tail like a monkey, etc., during the first few months that it develops in the womb.

The idea has not only been presented to generations of biology/medical students as fact, but has also been used for many years to persuasively justify abortion.

But that's a lie. Haeckel manufactured the data. He fraudulently changed drawings made by other scientists of human and dog embryos.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min Denisova 16,911
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr Eagle 12 4,902
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr thetruth 1,670
Turkey blocks website of its first atheist asso... 3 hr thetruth 3
What evidence make you believe in God/gods? 3 hr thetruth 31
The Consequences of Atheism 4 hr Thinking 827
Religiosity 11 hr NightSerf 1
More from around the web