Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#220051 Mar 18, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Christine: "Stalin was not atheist..."
Stalin: "God's not unjust, he doesn't actually exist. We've been deceived. If God existed, he'd have made the world more just... I'll lend you a book and you'll see."
Buck: "Bwahahahahahahahahahaah. .."
Once Stalin was in office he revived the Russian Orthodox Church, he was on the council convened to elect a new church Patriarch. He oversaw the re-opening of theological schools right across Russia, and thousands of churches began to function. The Theological Academy Seminary was re-opened, after being closed since 1918.

He was a secular minded religious opportunist. He did not use atheism to gain control, but religious principles that were modified to fit his own method of revolution.

#220052 Mar 18, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Raised in the Georgian Orthodox faith, Stalin became an atheist. He followed the position that religion was an opiate that needed to be removed in order to construct the ideal communist society. His government promoted atheism through special atheistic education in schools, anti-religious propaganda, the antireligious work of public institutions (Society of the Godless), discriminatory laws, and a terror campaign against religious believers. By the late 1930s it had become dangerous to be publicly associated with religion.[96]
Hearsay and opinion. It seem you are copying and pasting from wikipedia (without citation I may add) You will not that I have already informed buck that the wikipedia article has been edited by unspecified writers over 250 times in the last year

Once Stalin was in office he revived the Russian Orthodox Church, he was on the council convened to elect a new church Patriarch. He oversaw the re-opening of theological schools right across Russia, and thousands of churches began to function. The Theological Academy Seminary was re-opened, after being closed since 1918.

Does this sound to you like the work of an athiest?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#220053 Mar 18, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
Even in the face of a Universe proceeding from "nothing," a creator-god remains a hypothesis for which there is no need.
Assuming a god is a gross violation of Occam's Razor and its call for parsimony in hypothesis formation. We won't have any reason to invoke such a thing unless it can be shown that intelligence was required. The multiverse hypothesis seems to meet the need of the Cosmological Argument (for a the existence of a god) by serving as an eternal, uncaused first cause, and the Teleological Argument's fine tuning objections by virtue of its potential to serve as the origin of any number of universes with any combination of physical parameters possible.

This doesn't establish that hypothesis as correct, but only as the leading hypothesis, and relegates the god hypothesis - the sentient, omnipotent, omniscient, agent - to the bottom of the list for being unnecessarily complex without adding any explanatory power.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#220054 Mar 18, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
He was a secular minded religious opportunist. He did not use atheism to gain control, but religious principles that were modified to fit his own method of revolution.
"The Party cannot be neutral towards religion and does conduct anti-religious propaganda against all and every religious prejudice because it stands for science, while religious prejudices run counter to science, because all religion is something opposite to science."

-Joseph Stalin, Interview with American Trade Unionists, 1927

Bwahahahahahahahha....

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#220055 Mar 18, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Just a side note.
I have more respect for an atheist than I do for a long term agnostic.
There are only three possibilities for an agnostic who is searching:
1. They are not really searching.
2. There is no God.
3. There is a God who does not want to know them.
It should not take long for an honest agnostic to reach a conclusion.
Because the Bible asserts that God will be known by those who seek Him, the only question for the atheist is, have they been honest about their quest?
Reason #3 is a humdinger.

It screams, "You're not good enough. Something is inherently wrong with you. I don't care about your hopes, fears or pain. You are a reject."

This toxic rationale is the polar opposite of humanism and spirituality.

Location hidden

#220056 Mar 18, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
So a book written 50 years after his death...
Ohhhhh, I see. Too much time elapsed.

How about during his life, by someone who knew him?

"At a very early age, while still a pupil in the ecclesiastical school, Comrade Stalin developed a critical mind and revolutionary sentiments. He began to read Darwin and became an atheist."

E. Yaroslavsky, Landmarks in the Life of Stalin, Foreign Languages Publishing House, Moscow 1940.

I will reiterate, as you probably missed it the first time:

"HE BEGAN TO READ DARWIN AND BECAME AN ATHEIST".

And again:

I think what Yaroslavsky is trying to say is,...

I wish he would be more clear. But it seems like he's saying,...

I don't know for sure, but it seems,....

Bwahsahahahahahahhahhahaahhhwe eeoooooo....

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#220057 Mar 18, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
Without evidence the beliefs are belief
What belief isn't a belief, ya dumb ass.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220058 Mar 18, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, documented and proven by actions
No, bucks lie, but hey, you get off licking bucks butt so feel free to continue the lie, if that the only way you can get hard then go for it
Yes, mathematics, I did not write the babble. Not my problem that you have fallen for the ignorance.
Not really.
Nope. Stalin was most definitely an atheist, by his own words.

You'll have to deal with that some day.

And no, E=MC2 has nothing to do with God.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220059 Mar 18, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF is "secular minded religious"?!?

Is that sort like the Topix Atheist! atheistic theist?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220060 Mar 18, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hearsay and opinion. It seem you are copying and pasting from wikipedia (without citation I may add) You will not that I have already informed buck that the wikipedia article has been edited by unspecified writers over 250 times in the last year
You could at least post your source:

http://www.examiner.com/article/refuting-the-...

"Atheist Foundation president David Nicholls says the comments are an act of desperation by the church."

Gee whiz... An atheist says Stalin was religious and it's all because of the church! the church!

Amazing

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#220061 Mar 18, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
There always Reason Behind Madness Christine..Why is it always Hearsay and Opinion when it don't agree with you?

#220062 Mar 18, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
"The Party cannot be neutral towards religion and does conduct anti-religious propaganda against all and every religious prejudice because it stands for science, while religious prejudices run counter to science, because all religion is something opposite to science."
-Joseph Stalin, Interview with American Trade Unionists, 1927
Bwahahahahahahahha....

#220063 Mar 18, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Ohhhhh, I see. Too much time elapsed.
How about during his life, by someone who knew him?
"At a very early age, while still a pupil in the ecclesiastical school, Comrade Stalin developed a critical mind and revolutionary sentiments. He began to read Darwin and became an atheist."
E. Yaroslavsky, Landmarks in the Life of Stalin, Foreign Languages Publishing House, Moscow 1940.
I will reiterate, as you probably missed it the first time:
And again:
I think what Yaroslavsky is trying to say is,...
I wish he would be more clear. But it seems like he's saying,...
I don't know for sure, but it seems,....
Bwahsahahahahahahhahhahaahhhwe eeoooooo....

#220064 Mar 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What belief isn't a belief, ya dumb ass.
Why do you have such difficulty with this concept? I have provided definitions for you to peruse

#220065 Mar 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Stalin was most definitely an atheist, by his own words.
You'll have to deal with that some day.
And no, E=MC2 has nothing to do with God.

The actions of an atheist? Something you will need to deal with when you grow up, perhaps when you are able to get a stiffy.

Honey we can all say words, jeez, even you do it

Opinion, the very fact that energy cannot be infinite at the same time as you exist disproved the omnipotent aspect of your god.

Location hidden

#220066 Mar 18, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>

Reason #3 is a humdinger.
I'd like to get a humdinger from Fountain's wife. I'm not telling him. He's sensitive about that kinda' stuff.

#220067 Mar 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF is "secular minded religious"?!?
Is that sort like the Topix Atheist! atheistic theist?
Nope but feel free to fook up whatever you want, you are so good at it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220068 Mar 18, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you have such difficulty with this concept? I have provided definitions for you to peruse
I already know the definitions, I don't need your whacky input.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220069 Mar 18, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd like to get a humdinger from Fountain's wife. I'm not telling him. He's sensitive about that kinda' stuff.
I thought it was call a ding hummer.

My mistake.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220070 Mar 18, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope but feel free to fook up whatever you want, you are so good at it.
Hey, you're the one called someone a "secular minded religious" person.

How's that even possible, to be secular religious?

C'mon, you can guess...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 54 min woodtick57 2,632
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 59 min Morse 180
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr Morse 5,963
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 9 hr Morse 23,279
faith & pride 10 hr geezerjock 1
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 12 hr _Bad Company 214
Pastor who gave up God for a year after getting... 13 hr thetruth 3
More from around the web