Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
IPSEC

Dallas, TX

#219788 Mar 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said rehab could be fine without funding.
Damn man, debating with you has become a constant debate of what I didn't say.
You're very confused. You have the inability to remember what you wrote or communicate clearly. It must be alcohol abuse. Is that why you no longer work?

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#219789 Mar 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Reflecting your arrogant bigotry with mocking is wrong?
Excusing the murder of Christians by blaming all Christians for an African sect that polluted the Christian faith with tribal superstition?
There goes that 'rational atheist' oxymoron morality...
Smirk.
Your bible is at fault because it states "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live:"

They take that literally.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#219790 Mar 17, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, you sure are into lesbians.
Ah, Noah's Ark, a "feel good" story taught to children as though genocide is justice. Though shalt not kill, unless, of course, Dear Leader wants you dead, women, children, fetuses, all rasping for that last breath before the water took them.
But it's okay, Sam Harris and Dear Leader both think it's okay to kill people for ideas.
Your death cult sickens me.
Like most Christians he always has his nose in somebodies crotch. Sex is a dirty word for them. Religion can make you so uptight about it that they cant enjoy it. So they doggedly harass any body having it.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#219791 Mar 17, 2014
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
Well done, Doc.
Thanks, Bob

Fennario

#219792 Mar 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
And there you have the tolerance and censored free speech of a gay 'rational atheist' oxymoron. Smirk.
Are ever going to stop crying? You're as bad as Clearwater. Woe is you.

Did you ever answer my question about what you think faith and your religion have done for you with regard to your intellect, character and personality? Has it made you a better person in any of those areas? I see a whiny, angry airhead obsessed with anal sex and aliens who repeats the same insults and taunts in in almost every post, and who is pretty universally disliked and disrespected here. Do you care? It doesn't appear so.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#219793 Mar 17, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>I don't want to know your belief system. It produced you.
No. You see,...women produce an egg, men a sperm, then...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#219794 Mar 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

I never said rehab could be fine without funding.
Damn man, debating with you has become a constant debate of what I didn't say.
IPSEC wrote:
You're very confused. You have the inability to remember what you wrote or communicate clearly. It must be alcohol abuse. Is that why you no longer work?
Nope, I don't abuse alcohol.

I never said rehab could be done without funding.

If you disagree, find the post where I wrote that.

Location hidden

#219795 Mar 17, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
Topix isn't the only place where Christians behave badly. Read the stories of our Nation's restaurant workers, forced to endure all manner of Christian misbehavior on Sundays.
http://sundaysaretheworst.com/
The restaurant doesn't refuse their money, do they?

The worker isn't forced to do anything. He can keep his ass at home.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#219796 Mar 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>Reflecting your arrogant bigotry with mocking is wrong?

Excusing the murder of Christians by blaming all Christians for an African sect that polluted the Christian faith with tribal superstition?

There goes that 'rational atheist' oxymoron morality...

Smirk.
WTF are you talking about?

You're really Sarah Palin, aren't you.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#219797 Mar 17, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF are you talking about?
You're really Sarah Palin, aren't you.
Plus, he's his own Grandpa...

And Grandmaw too?

Fennario

#219798 Mar 17, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
Yes, our lives are worthless unless we spend them grovelling before their god. I agree with this man. It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees!- Emiliano Zapata
He's a local hero. His image is frequently seen in murals, and every village has a street called Zapata.

Today is a holiday in Mexico, but it's not St.Patrick's Day. It's the celebration of Benito Juarez's birthday, another Mexican hero. He was a former president from the mid-19th century known for his defense of Mexican sovereignty, his democratic and egalitarian ideals such as his support of indiginous peoples and subordination of the military to civilian control, and his progressive reforms, especially his opposition to the excesses of the Catholic church, which included church-state separation and nationalizing church lands. Juarez also has a street named after him in every village, and appears on the 20 peso note.

Location hidden

#219799 Mar 17, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
<quoted text>
That's closer than RR has ever been, but it's still incorrect.
In the context of Harris' statement, "propositions" are more than just beliefs. A proposition is a belief structure, where certain beliefs are more firmly held and prioritized higher than others. Two propositions can contain the same beliefs, but be structured very differently, changing the resulting behavior of people who accept these propositions.
<quoted text>
No, he says it may seem an extraordinary claim.
Does it not say that?
<quoted text>
I'm just going to go back to ignoring you again.
A "proposition" can be any idea. Harris said we should consider killing people simply for believing certain propositions. "Believing" any proposition - any proposition at all - is "belief". And he's suggesting it justifies killing those who hold the belief.

He says it may seem an extraordinary claim because it does seem so, and it is. It would not seem an extraordinary claim to advocate killing in self-defense, or in the war on Islamic terrorism. That would not "seem" an extraordinary claim.

Therefore, he's talking about something different, and more extraordinary. And it is clear what that claim is.

You can't parse this out of the killing-for-thoughts realm. Though I applaud your heroic effort to distort it.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#219800 Mar 17, 2014
scaritual wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =0VLQZPqI2MXX
And Grandmaw too?
You're weird.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219801 Mar 17, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =0VxLQZPqI2MXX
And Grandmaw too?
http://www.demotivationalposters.org/facebook...

Fennario

#219802 Mar 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Reflecting your arrogant bigotry with mocking is wrong? Excusing the murder of Christians by blaming all Christians for an African sect that polluted the Christian faith with tribal superstition? There goes that 'rational atheist' oxymoron morality... Smirk.
Somebody call an waaaaahhhmbulance for this guy. He's crying again.

Location hidden

#219803 Mar 17, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
It's as plain as day, Buck...
"We determined through public documents one science class is covering intelligent design in order to bash it. If they allow that, itís tantamount to state endorsement of an anti-religious view."
--John West
How could it be any clearer?
In West's opinion, bashing ID is an anti-religious view. That means ID is a religious view. Plain and simple.
No. If you bash something and call it a religious view, then you are expressing an anit-religious view, by definition.

He is not saying, nor has he ever said, that ID is a religious view. You lied.

You also took his quotation out of context, which is, according to you, "misquoting".

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219804 Mar 17, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
He's a local hero. His image is frequently seen in murals, and every village has a street called Zapata.
Today is a holiday in Mexico, but it's not St.Patrick's Day. It's the celebration of Benito Juarez's birthday, another Mexican hero. He was a former president from the mid-19th century known for his defense of Mexican sovereignty, his democratic and egalitarian ideals such as his support of indiginous peoples and subordination of the military to civilian control, and his progressive reforms, especially his opposition to the excesses of the Catholic church, which included church-state separation and nationalizing church lands. Juarez also has a street named after him in every village, and appears on the 20 peso note.
His wife's name was Margarita.

That's hot.

I wonder if she tasted like strawberries or limes......

Location hidden

#219805 Mar 17, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck...the way judges write their decisions has been explained to you...over and over.
It is a very common practice for a judge to use the legal briefs of the winning side to write their decision. This is not considered plagiarism.
Just one more example of you using "plagiarizing" the Discovery Institute.
No, you are wrong.

That is not the way judges write their decisions. They do not copy 90% of a plaintiff's brief that is written before evidence in the trial is presented.

You know why? Because introduction of evidence often contradicts the previously-written brief.

And guess what? That is what occurred - Jones' decision, as written, factually contradicted events from trial.

He didn't even bother to correct the typos in the ACLU brief. He plagiarized typos.

You are a hell of a science man, DogShit. You want science decided by a hapless, dishonest judge in a courtroom in Podunk, Pennsylvania.

That's your scientific method. Very impressive. Pardon me if I demur.

Location hidden

#219806 Mar 17, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I will also note that you once again are throwing up a red herring to avoid the topic.
ID lost. Plain and simple. As it should have.
Oh.
And.
"Cdesign proponentists"
I acknowledge the fact that ID lost. Not avoiding it.

You should acknowledge the fact that the judge mis-stated evidence and distorted the facts of the case in order to arrive at the ruling he gave.

You should also acknowledge that people like Eugenie Scott and others, including you, have lied to smear a group of scientists who acted with integrity in the case.

Location hidden

#219807 Mar 17, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I will agree Dembski's ideas were thoroughly bashed. "Breathtaking inanity" says it all.
Yep. It says Judge Jones didn't have a clue what he was listening to in court.

I liked the part where microbiologist Scott Minnich made fun of Jones from the witness stand.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 11 min Eagle 12 2,279
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 1 hr Thinking 142
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 10 hr polymath257 23,199
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 16 hr Yiago 148
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 22 hr thetruth 34
God' existence 22 hr thetruth 67
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists Fri Crazy Mess 1
More from around the web