Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Be strong ...”

Since: Nov 10

...I whispered to my coffee

#220023 Mar 18, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Christinemc^2: "Stalin was a nationalist and a christian."
Joseph Stalin: "You know, they are fooling us, there is no God...all this talk about God is sheer nonsense"
....bwaaahahahahahahahahahahha .....
Yes and?

One sentence compared to a whole life in which he was raised in the christian tradition, tipped for the priesthood. He destroyed the corruption of the Russian church imposed by the Tsars and after his rise to power was instrumental in the rebuilding of that church and it’s institutions.

Honey, I really would not mind betting you have forsworn you god at some time in your life, particularly when you dropped the soap in the prison showers. Or when your son was screaming “daddy stop it” loud enough to register in your thick skull while you were butt fooking him.

“Be strong ...”

#220024 Mar 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And the Pope is an atheist....
Y'all is crazy.
Is he? Funny buck keeps lying that I said that when it was you all along.

But hey, you love licking his a$$ so you got to agree with his lies – right?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#220025 Mar 18, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Blind faith would be believing that the Genesis creation story is factual because the bible says so. Believing an article in Scientific American is justified. The difference is their track records, which is evidence. Also, the two types of belief are different in their degree. Faith in the bible is not only not justified by evidence (blind), it is absolute. The trust in Scientific American is tentative, supported by reports in other sources, and would disappear if their standards fell.
You probably should stop comparing the two. It never world out well for religious faith.
=========
Notice that another prophecy of science was just confirmed - the second one this decade (the Higgs boson being the first).
When you find something like gravity waves exactly where you expected to find them with devices designed to look precisely where they were predicted by theory to be found, you have evidence that takes you FAR beyond blind faith.
“Think of how many religions attempt to validate themselves with prophecy. Think of how many people rely on these prophecies, however vague, however unfulfilled, to support or prop up their beliefs. Yet has there ever been a religion with the prophetic accuracy and reliability of science?”- Carl Sagan
Oh.

"All hail Science"?

Nah, not for me. Science is wrong far more often that it is right.

But it's nice to know that you too take scientific magazine articles on blind faith.

“Be strong ...”

#220026 Mar 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never condoned the IRA.
I didn't even know who they were until you told me. At first, I thought you were talking about an Individual Retirement Account.
Yes you did, after you were told who they are and what they did you excused there actions to a storm of protest form several other posters that caused you to chicken out

But hey we all know you are a lying T\/\/AT who can’t get it up for a woman.

“Be strong ...”

#220027 Mar 18, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I haven't said anything even remotely close to it should stay hidden because its a church or priest. In fact I have said the opposite repeatedly and said any abuse in the church should be exposed and I want to see a bigger effort to expose all abuse and not just the abuse some feel is "newsworthy" because to the victims, its terrible no matter where it happened.
Maybe on the 4th try you can figure out a way to make this a disagreement? Sheesh
I am not disagreeing with you, I am questioning your excuse of the church on the grounds that it does not happen much.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#220028 Mar 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You've done experiments on the big bang?
*sigh*

"A team of astrophysicists has announced a sighting of gravitational waves – formed in the first trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a second after the universe as we know it blinked into existence.
The breakthrough discovery throws enormous weight behind the famous Big Bang theory. The boffins must be expecting a call from the Nobel Prize panel in Sweden."

Article here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/17/gravi ...

You're runnin' out of gap.

“Be strong ...”

#220029 Mar 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If there was evidence, there's be no reason to believe.
Then all the average christian has to do is admit that it is belief as opposed to claiming it is “Truth”

“Be strong ...”

#220030 Mar 18, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh
Didn't pick up on the sarcasm I guess
Yes I know. That was my point. That despite your contention the UK and its people are so much more focused on stopping child abuse and don't get caught up in simply cranking out stupid "news stories" to appease the masses, I don't believe that to be the case
And I had to delete to other part because its too hard to copy quotes on my phone but you made a distinction between tabloids and more respectable journalism. So what? The tabloids wouldn't exist if there were not people in the UK that wanted to read them. So much for the idea the people in the UK care more about stopping child abuse.
Your nationalism and arrogance concerning an issue that any decent human being anywhere wants to see come to an end was just silly. But if you want to continue with the "my country cares more than yours does" attitude I guess suit yourself
Did I make that claim? I think you are misrepresent or deliberately misinterpreting my post, I claimed that the British media have different perspective than the US media, the British public have a different perspective than the US public. If you want to take exception with that then go for it.

So what? Because… You want to get you “news” from tabloids then that’s fine but don’t try arguing semantics based on tabloid hack journalism.

Oh wow here we go, you cannot have a discussion without resorting to personality, how sad.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#220031 Mar 18, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and?
One sentence compared to a whole life in which he was raised in the christian tradition, tipped for the priesthood. He destroyed the corruption of the Russian church imposed by the Tsars and after his rise to power was instrumental in the rebuilding of that church and it’s institutions.
Honey, I really would not mind betting you have forsworn you god at some time in your life, particularly when you dropped the soap in the prison showers. Or when your son was screaming “daddy stop it” loud enough to register in your thick skull while you were butt fooking him.
Stalin: "There is no god".

Christine: "Stalin was not an atheist".

Buck: "Bwahahahahahahahahahahah ahahah...."

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#220032 Mar 18, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>*sigh*
"A team of astrophysicists has announced a sighting of gravitational waves – formed in the first trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a second after the universe as we know it blinked into existence.
The breakthrough discovery throws enormous weight behind the famous Big Bang theory. The boffins must be expecting a call from the Nobel Prize panel in Sweden."
What caused the gravitational waves?

“Be strong ...”

#220033 Mar 18, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Validate it.
Done that, however I am not here to educate you so because you could not be bothered reading it or cannot be bothered doing you own research is not my problem.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#220034 Mar 18, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Ah, yes. Another favorite from the Fundie Top Ten: "Let me tell you what you think".
I said not one word about what you think, nor anyone else.

“Be strong ...”

#220035 Mar 18, 2014
Rosa Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. And funny how a certain funny-mentalist focused only on itself. Totally ignored a link I posted about a young girl molested by a now convicted murderer.
I really do not understand why he/she is taking the funnies.

The only thing that comes to mind is that he/she objects to the “church” being associated with paedophilia.

My view is if they can’t do the time then they should not do the crime.

“Be strong ...”

#220036 Mar 18, 2014
Rosa Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, that makes me so glad to have been born a commoner.
LOL - And all that rich food must have a devastating effect.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220037 Mar 18, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you did, after you were told who they are and what they did you excused there actions to a storm of protest form several other posters that caused you to chicken out
But hey we all know you are a lying T\/\/AT who can’t get it up for a woman.
Oh.

“Be strong ...”

#220038 Mar 18, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you know Mother Theresa was also an atheist?
Christine claims the entire Catholic Church is atheist, so that would include MT.
Digging a deeper hole and filling it with more lies

You really are a pathetic hate merchant when you are crushed aren’t you?

WTH can you not just grow a set of balls and admit you were beaten?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220039 Mar 18, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>*sigh*
Yeah, that's great.

But DS said he's done experiments himself. Is DS a scientific panel?

Oh, is that the same committee that gave Obama a piece price?

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#220040 Mar 18, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Spare me.
I sat in court and watched a judge award child support to an ex that was equal to the guy's monthly pay plus 1 dollar.
It went to the state court of appeals and they upheld it 4 to 1.
I saw a Judge go straight up a farmer's ass because his pants were dirty because he worked for a living.
Our judicial officers are crooks and leaches that sponge off the taxpayers for years, then continue to sponge for retirement. I am backed up on this opinion by the few honest lawyers that have watched the system work for decades.
And you can always appeal? Right?. Newsflash Counselor - the appeals sit in a file for 12 months, then a clerk reads them, and the judges stamp them in agreement with the trial court. There is no appeal process.
Not in my world.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220041 Mar 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If there was evidence, there's be no reason to believe.
ChristineM wrote:
Then all the average christian has to do is admit that it is belief as opposed to claiming it is “Truth”
Some beliefs are also truths.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220042 Mar 18, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Digging a deeper hole and filling it with more lies
You really are a pathetic hate merchant when you are crushed aren’t you?
WTH can you not just grow a set of balls and admit you were beaten?
Stalin was a Christian. The pope is an atheist. E=MC2 proves God can't be omnipotent.

You have a very vivid imagination, for a lame.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Scientific, Philosophical Case for God's Existe... 1 hr Atom 187
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 hr candlesmell 95,413
Atheism saved me 12 hr Elganned 32
The atheists mind 12 hr Elganned 75
Why creation? Jun 21 Elganned 60
man Jun 18 blacklagoon 3 1
News Atheism and Wonder Jun 14 Eagle 12 - 50