Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#219963 Mar 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe I do.
That is sufficient enough.
That is a big difference. Atheists want to KNOW they aren't worshipping something made up and false.They are not willing to accept a religion without reasons to do so.
Atheist want to know the truth, theists want to believe in a religion. It is a fundamental personality difference of how people approach religion. Atheists are actually more open-minded because they can understand that they could be wrong about what they think they know - theist do not believe they could ever be wrong about their religion of choice.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#219964 Mar 17, 2014
Electrical Engineer wrote:
<quoted text>
I love this discovery in that it adds some answers and validity of the big bang and yet and gives us even more questions.
It does take us that much closer to the start though and that I find fascinating.
It is a pretty amazing discovery. As far as I know, this is the first detection of gravity waves. The fact that it will help point to a correct model of inflation is a real plus.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#219965 Mar 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. I'm saying that my wife actually likes giving head.
Some girls do, man. You don't have to force em.
Maybe she doesn't want to take a chance on getting hit.

I'm sure she's well aware of your violent tendencies, Redneck.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#219966 Mar 17, 2014
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a big difference. Atheists want to KNOW they aren't worshipping something made up and false.They are not willing to accept a religion without reasons to do so.
Atheist want to know the truth, theists want to believe in a religion. It is a fundamental personality difference of how people approach religion. Atheists are actually more open-minded because they can understand that they could be wrong about what they think they know - theist do not believe they could ever be wrong about their religion of choice.
Very well stated.

#219967 Mar 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And you have a blind faith in whatever a science magazine spits out, don't ya?
What researchers? What are their credentials? Do they have an agenda? Was their funding dependent of "finding" this new evidence? Where's the proof that the universe expanded extremely quickly in the first fraction of a second? Who conducted those tests?
You ask none of that. You think it's in a scientific journal, it MUST be true.
No. I have trust in what I have done in experiments of my own, and the fact that they are in agreement with the results given in this.

Plus I know how competitive the field of science is and that if someone publishes something false, there will always be another scientist there to jump all over them and point out their mistakes.

This is unlike religion which never tests itself against reality, discourages questioning questioning, and goes out of its way to "confirm" what is already believed and never ever upset the religious apple cart.

But we fully understand that you have never even taken a high school, pre-calculus, physics course...let alone a course in quantum mechanics or relativity. We don't expect you to have the vaguest clue what is being talked about here.

But, proving the Dunning-Kruger Effect, you feel fully qualified to spout off about it.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#219968 Mar 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem like the type taking advice from a hairbrush.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Nope-- I'm 100% athiest.

In contrast to YOU, who is only 99.99% atheist.

I'll leave the hairbrush talking to you insane people-- you 0.01% THEIST types.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#219969 Mar 17, 2014
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
I like you when you are polite :-)
It **IS** a very rare event... I suggest you make a note.

;)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#219970 Mar 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. I'm saying that my wife actually likes giving head.
I MENTIONED THAT IN MY ORIGINAL POST, YOU STUPID FI**CK.

... geeze but you can't seem to READ what is written....!

You are stupid as f8ck, aren't you?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#219971 Mar 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.
Versus the FLAMING non-gay homosexual?
Yep... you got it.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#219972 Mar 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol
"mostly atheist"
Like you're 'mostly straight'?
Yep. I'm mostly straight.

In fact?**ALL** humans operate on a continuum between the two-- NO ONE is purely at either end.

Humans are a bit more complex than **your** flat "understanding" of human behavior.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#219973 Mar 17, 2014
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is why theists can be classed as insane...

... we can only hope there will be a cure one day.

... wait...

... there is: quality education.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#219974 Mar 17, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I have trust in what I have done in experiments of my own, and the fact that they are in agreement with the results given in this.
Plus I know how competitive the field of science is and that if someone publishes something false, there will always be another scientist there to jump all over them and point out their mistakes.
This is unlike religion which never tests itself against reality, discourages questioning questioning, and goes out of its way to "confirm" what is already believed and never ever upset the religious apple cart.
But we fully understand that you have never even taken a high school, pre-calculus, physics course...let alone a course in quantum mechanics or relativity. We don't expect you to have the vaguest clue what is being talked about here.
But, proving the Dunning-Kruger Effect, you feel fully qualified to spout off about it.
Ain't it Interesting-with-a-capital-I, that every single time when some scientist or group makes a mistake?

That the mistake is **always** caught by ... other ...**scientists**?

And the mistake is **never**ever** caught by religious people?

I find that Interesting.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#219975 Mar 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And the Pope is an atheist....
Y'all is crazy.
Did you know Mother Theresa was also an atheist?

Christine claims the entire Catholic Church is atheist, so that would include MT.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#219976 Mar 17, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Today's chuckle...
David Barton on Matthew Hagee's radio show stated...
“If your fellow citizens tell you they want you in office, you don’t have a right to say no,” Barton said.“That’s pure selfishness.”
Considering that a few monts ago Christians had asked Barton to run of the Senate and Barton refused...Barton must be a purely selfish person.
Oh wow! You really nailed him this time, Crockthornton.

Did you ever figure out if Catholic missions do missions?

#219977 Mar 17, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh wow! You really nailed him this time, Crockthornton.
Did you ever figure out if Catholic missions do missions?
So you agree that by Barton's own criteria he is a purely selfish bastard?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#219978 Mar 17, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe I did state that the comment was to the lawyer, not to Minnich.
I said...
I did find it amusing when the defense lawyer made the claim that a scientific paper was part of the public record...after having argued the previous day that scientific papers were NOT part of the public record. I liked Jones response..."Don't insult my intelligence."
Your reading skills still need some work, don't they.
And, yes, Behe admitted that ID is not science. He admitted on the stand that the definition of science would have to be re-written to define ID as science. He also admitted that such a redefinition of science would also define astrology as science.
We have been over this before. All you had then was bluster and diversion. You were wrong then. You are wrong now.
<quoted text>
Oh. Wow. What a take down. <yawn>
Yes, Buck, you are boring me.
HOW TO PROVE DARWIN'S STEPCHILD A BALD-FACED LIAR

Darwin's Stepchild wrote:

"And, yes, Behe admitted that ID is not science"

Kitzmiller, Day 10, Trial Transcript:

Q. Sir, do you have an opinion as to whether intelligent design is science?

Behe: Yes, I do.

Q. And what is that opinion?

Behe: Yes, it is.

Q. Do you have an opinion as to whether intelligent design makes testable scientific claims?

Behe: Yes, I do.

Q. What is that opinion?

Behe: Yes, it does.

Game, set, and match.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#219979 Mar 17, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be a Communist.
Or a traitor of some sort.
No patriotic American would besmirch our judicial officers that way.
Spare me.

I sat in court and watched a judge award child support to an ex that was equal to the guy's monthly pay plus 1 dollar.

It went to the state court of appeals and they upheld it 4 to 1.

I saw a Judge go straight up a farmer's ass because his pants were dirty because he worked for a living.

Our judicial officers are crooks and leaches that sponge off the taxpayers for years, then continue to sponge for retirement. I am backed up on this opinion by the few honest lawyers that have watched the system work for decades.

And you can always appeal? Right?. Newsflash Counselor - the appeals sit in a file for 12 months, then a clerk reads them, and the judges stamp them in agreement with the trial court. There is no appeal process.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#219980 Mar 17, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>If I may...
"Atheist's Statement:
1. There is no evidence to support the existence of any deity.
2. Therefore, there is no reason to believe in any of them.
3. Therefore, I don't.
Those statements do not qualify one as an atheist.

An atheist is one who believes no god exists.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#219981 Mar 17, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
So you agree that by Barton's own criteria he is a purely selfish bastard?
No, but I agree by your own statements you are a lying bastard.

How's that?

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#219982 Mar 17, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>You are confused
What I ignored was you
If you you think a link to an individual case disproves the notion that not enough is being done to expose ALL abuse then you really are too ignorant to be in the conversation. One that you also can't seem to grasp included me repeatedly saying I support all abuse in the church being exposed. But when disproportionate coverage gives people the wrong idea about how widespread the problem is through society they tend to only focus on where they incorrectly think it is more prevalent, thus allowing other abuse to go unnoticed. I want a better effort to see it ALL exposed.
I think I'm gonna need to break out the hand puppets for you two. That someone would choose to look as clueless as you two appear content to look just so they can maintain their line in the sand is pretty sad. How petty. How hypocritical. Set the imaginary Topix battle you think you are in to the side at least long enough to find the obvious common ground that all abuse needs to be exposed and that its dangerous to narrow the focus.. That way you at least don't look like a total joke. Although not the funny kind.
And nobody thinks I'm a fundie. Good luck trying to push that idea. Unless you were just so giddy you made a play on words that you couldn't help yourself despite the total lack of sense
What I ignored was you, dumb fellator. Mostly because your whiny little rants aren't worth the trouble.

I was referring to that KiHorsesAss, who is too busy attacking everyone to notice I mentioned a young girl molested by a pedophile murderer, protected by another pastor. But it's all about YOU, self-centred little prat. As for the rest of your tantrum, save it to run crying to Mummy. Get her to change your nappy while you're at it.

Here's the article again. Ignore it to fixate on yourself again I bet, fundie f**kwit.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 32 min eggosaurus 94,144
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing (Oct '17) 1 hr blacklagoon 3 138
News Egyptian Parliament considers outlawing atheism May 15 dollarsbill 5
Stephen Hawking, now a believer May 8 superwilly 20
The atheists trick May 8 Eagle 12 - 3
News The Anti-Christian Movement May 7 blacklagoon 3 25
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) May 5 Eagle 12 - 5,971