Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 243342 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#219726 Mar 16, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
2 Million Scientists Evangelical
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2014/febr...
That is sad news, indeed.

**REAL** scientists are wondering why the numbers are so high-- where did the educational system fail these nutjobs?

Because make no mistake-- evangelical christians are ILL SUITED to scientific principles.

Science **DEMANDS** that you follow the EVIDENCE WHERE IT LEADS.

Evangelicals DEMAND that you IGNORE ANY AND ALL FACTS, if it contradicts the ugly bible...

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#219727 Mar 16, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, yes... we already KNOW you are gay.
Are you now trying to claim you have AIDS as well?
If so-- you have my pity.
Haha, that's so funny.

Gotta love those 'rational atheist' oxymorons.

Smirk.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#219728 Mar 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha, that's so funny.
Gotta love those 'rational atheist' oxymorons.
Smirk.
Yes, yes-- it IS funny that you, being gay, would display such hate for gays.

But it's a trait quite common among Genuine Christholes™-- you are full of self-loathing.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#219729 Mar 16, 2014
River Tam wrote:
I've never killed anybody. I think it's more fun just to beat them up.
Do you work for SHIELD?

I'm on a special task force called the Arrangers.

We move things. Strategically.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#219730 Mar 16, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Exactly.
<quoted text> Evil based on what?
<quoted text> That would seem to be the case and if it is legal what is your problem. More to the point why is all that objectively wrong if man is nothing more than big brained ape like creatures?
<quoted text> You are making it all about me. The issue is slavery and ownership. I wish you would stay on track and not get so emotional and hateful. Please explain why slavery is wrong at all places at all times for all people?
Don't be so damn stupid, Brother Marine.

Asking why slavery may not be wrong in certain circumstances is like asking if rape may be ok in certain circumstances.

What the hell is the matter with you?

And I will NOT call you by your new name.

Own up to who you are, you cowardly disgrace to your country.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#219731 Mar 16, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you work for SHIELD?
I'm on a special task force called the Arrangers.
We move things. Strategically.
http://www.unilever.co.za/Images/Shield_deos2...

I'm also a contract operative for Vagisil.

http://treasure.diylol.com/uploads/post/image...

Location hidden

#219733 Mar 16, 2014
the talk wrote:
<quoted text>
You win!
http://9gag.co.za/public/uploaded/1/1/10246.j...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#219740 Mar 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
The foundation of Christianity is that man cannot acquire redemption by performance. That is the most basic tenet.
Wrong. The foundation of Christianity is submission. That is the only value - deny your will, deny your appetites, and submit. Do it and go to heaven, or don't and burn. That's the Christianity.
KiMare wrote:
You deny the New Testament encourages moral behavior for Christians?
Why do you keep saying the New Testament? Your bible has an Old Testament attached to it that is actually larger forms the basis for much of the church's doctrine and political Christianity. It's the source of the homophobia that dominates the news (as well as your posting), of the Ten Commandments that Christians want plastered over courthouses, and of the creation myth that is being defended with design pseudoscience. It's where the prophecies you got into a lather about reside.

Furthermore, the Christian bible is all but irrelevant in determining the behavior of Christians. It can be used to promote nearly any idea or its opposite, and it is, which is why the same bible is used by the Quakers and the Klan, and by slavers and abolitionists.

What matters are the examples set by people speaking for the god. If prominent Christians embody the loving, pacifist god in their behavior, that is what people will be taught. The opposite is true as well. When prominent Christians like Bush, Robertson, and Palin embody hypocrisy, dissembling, or selfish hatred, that is what is taught and learned. The church's treatment of gays and atheists makes a mockery of its lip service to the Golden Rule.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#219741 Mar 16, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Exactly.
<quoted text> Evil based on what?
<quoted text> That would seem to be the case and if it is legal what is your problem. More to the point why is all that objectively wrong if man is nothing more than big brained ape like creatures?
<quoted text> You are making it all about me. The issue is slavery and ownership. I wish you would stay on track and not get so emotional and hateful. Please explain why slavery is wrong at all places at all times for all people?
"Please explain why slavery is wrong at all places at all times for all people"

I told you lightheaded, it's wrong because we say it's wrong. Since we say it's wrong it's wrong anytime and every time.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#219742 Mar 16, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>So effing what? It still shows the camouflage given by the color pattern. Is this so difficult for you to understand? Must you parrot every piece of tripe put out by the creationist community?

Buck Crick wrote, "
What West was addressing was people who want to have it both ways.
"

Sorry, but he says bashing ID is an anti-religious view. The only possible conclusion is he thinks ID is a religious view.

But then, you have never shown strong comprehension skills.

Buck Crick wrote, "
Is ID "non-scientific"
"

Yes. ID is not scientific.

Buck Crick wrote, "
when it agrees with mainstream science?
"

But it doesn't.

Buck Crick wrote, "
I sense that it is only "non-scientific" when it departs from orthodoxy.
A stereotype is an uncritical judgement."

Buck, what you know about science could be written on the head of a pin with a 4" paintbrush.
If he was watching Cosmos right now, his head would explode.

Fennario

#219743 Mar 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
They were residents of those countries.
http://conservativepost.com/warning-graphic-v...
Your extreme bigotry is blinding you.
That's terrible. But I blame their church for filling their heads with pie in the sky and a false sense of being watched over, and the Muslims for filling the heads of their killers with more of the same.

Aren't you the one always decrying risky behavior?

Location hidden

#219744 Mar 16, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, yes-- it IS funny that you, being gay, would display such hate for gays.
But it's a trait quite common among Genuine Christholes™-- you are full of self-loathing.
Wow, look at the hate-filled posts. The personal attacks. The ugly bigotry. The ignorant arrogance over and over. All from 'rational atheist' oxymorons responding to statements of fact.

Go figure...

Smile.

Fennario

#219745 Mar 16, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
I give you...
The Saga of Bjorn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =MV5w262XvCUXX
Um ... thanks.

The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!

Location hidden

#219746 Mar 16, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. The foundation of Christianity is submission. That is the only value - deny your will, deny your appetites, and submit. Do it and go to heaven, or don't and burn. That's the Christianity.
<quoted text>
Why do you keep saying the New Testament? Your bible has an Old Testament attached to it that is actually larger forms the basis for much of the church's doctrine and political Christianity. It's the source of the homophobia that dominates the news (as well as your posting), of the Ten Commandments that Christians want plastered over courthouses, and of the creation myth that is being defended with design pseudoscience. It's where the prophecies you got into a lather about reside.
Furthermore, the Christian bible is all but irrelevant in determining the behavior of Christians. It can be used to promote nearly any idea or its opposite, and it is, which is why the same bible is used by the Quakers and the Klan, and by slavers and abolitionists.
What matters are the examples set by people speaking for the god. If prominent Christians embody the loving, pacifist god in their behavior, that is what people will be taught. The opposite is true as well. When prominent Christians like Bush, Robertson, and Palin embody hypocrisy, dissembling, or selfish hatred, that is what is taught and learned. The church's treatment of gays and atheists makes a mockery of its lip service to the Golden Rule.
Doesn't sound like submission to me.

Ephesians 2:8-9 (NASB)
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

I chose a passage from the NT book specifically addressed to Hebrew Christians.

Hebrews 1:1-3 (NASB)
God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways,
2 in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world.
3 And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

At this point, I think 'rational atheist' oxymorons need to face their own destitution. Judging by your denial, hatred and bigotry exhibited on this thread, you condemn yourselves...

Smile.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#219747 Mar 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
They were residents of those countries.
http://conservativepost.com/warning-graphic-v ...
Your extreme bigotry is blinding you.
<quoted text>
That's terrible. But I blame their church for filling their heads with pie in the sky and a false sense of being watched over, and the Muslims for filling the heads of their killers with more of the same.
Aren't you the one always decrying risky behavior?
So they got what they deserved?

Really.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
ArAr

Riverside, CA

#219748 Mar 16, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
Killing people for beliefs is an action, not a claim.
You really should stick to verbatim quotes.
You don't want people to think you're dishonest, do you?
Oh you want verbatim?

Tide wrote:(verbatim, in response to Harris' "extraordinary" claim)
"It's an ordinary claim, that may seem extraordinary, to simple minded people"

Don't wanna see you get called dishonest or anything......

Location hidden

#219749 Mar 16, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
If he was watching Cosmos right now, his head would explode.
http://guyism.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#219750 Mar 16, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Well done, Doc.

You have outlined the chief problem with the ugly bible: it can be made to say **ANYTHING**.

And you point out another problem with it: It is used by bullies to hurt people.

And bullies are the correct term for the Palins, the Robertsons, the Bushes, the other hate-filled Genuine Christians ™ of the world.

These people?

Are 100% proof that there is NO GOD behind Genuine Christianity™.

What sort of god would permit such as these to represent it?

Answer: either an EVIL god?

Or one that simply wasn't there in the first place.

The latter is the most likely hypothesis-- due to all the missing "acts of god".

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#219751 Mar 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow,
Yes... we all know you are a flaming gay-homosexual.

We all also know you hate yourself most of all.

I'd pity you-- except you are also a douchenozzle, so...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#219752 Mar 16, 2014
<quoted text>
Um ... thanks.
The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!
Poor Bjorn...ripped away from his dream of Valhalla by the prayers of nuns.

Don't mess with the nuns.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 16 min Paul Porter1 19,783
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 2 hr dirtclod 6,215
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr woodtick57 9,352
Should atheists have the burden of proof? 6 hr thetruth 38
News Founders created secular nation (Jul '10) 7 hr knight of Jesus 521
Disney Buys The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latte... (Nov '12) 15 hr millertr1 5
News Study: Public opinion not swayed by atheist arg... 22 hr geezerjock 2
More from around the web