Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
210,741 - 210,760 of 224,368 Comments Last updated 16 min ago

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Scored 50% on that test.
Pretty good for a 'rational atheist' oxymoron.
Smile.
Hush, tard.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't hit him.
It's too late, Redneck.

You can't change the story.

You told us you hit your six-month-old baby.

You justified your violence by saying you did it to discipline the baby, because he was engaging in "manipulation" by crying.

You're nothing less than a sanctified monster, Redneck.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree/disagree?
1. Capital punishment?(you agree, for certain crimes...what crimes?)
2. Stand your ground laws?
3. Killing in defense of property?
I agree killing in the starving games is, all the Laughs... Half the Calories. You could win an old ham, a coupon for a foot-long sub, and a partially eaten pickle.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

River Tam wrote:
Ahhhhhh!

Is that Eagle?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Hush, tard.
Has that troll response ever worked for you?

Snicker.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree/disagree?
1. Capital punishment?(you agree, for certain crimes...what crimes?)
2. Stand your ground laws?
3. Killing in defense of property?
1. Murder, rape, child molestation, Batman Forever.

2 & 3 are synonymous. I'd agree that killing in self defense is justified and killing a home invader is justified.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That's why I only pray to Regis Philbin.
If my prayers are answered, Cool !!
If not, it's OK. He's still so cute.
.. I'd be glad to answer your prayers ..

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

Judged:

IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>If you hadn't quote mined, you wouldn't be in this position. While I disagree with Harris completely, because it makes him no better than a theist, in context your contention holds no water. As usual.
My discussion of killing people “for what they believe”(pp. 52-53 in The End of Faith)(link to here)
The following passage seems to have been selectively quoted, and misconstrued, more than any other I have written:
The link between belief and behavior raises the stakes considerably. Some propositions are so dangerous that it may even be ethical to kill people for believing them. This may seem an extraordinary claim, but it merely enunciates an ordinary fact about the world in which we live. Certain beliefs place their adherents beyond the reach of every peaceful means of persuasion, while inspiring them to commit acts of extraordinary violence against others. There is, in fact, no talking to some people. If they cannot be captured, and they often cannot, otherwise tolerant people may be justified in killing them in self-defense. This is what the United States attempted in Afghanistan, and it is what we and other Western powers are bound to attempt, at an even greater cost to ourselves and to innocents abroad, elsewhere in the Muslim world. We will continue to spill blood in what is, at bottom, a war of ideas.
This paragraph appears after a long discussion of the role that belief plays in governing human behavior, and it should be read in that context. Some critics have interpreted the second sentence of this passage to mean that I advocate simply killing religious people for their beliefs. Granted, I made the job of misinterpreting me easier than it might have been, but such a reading remains a frank distortion of my views. To someone reading the passage in context, it should be clear that I am discussing the link between belief and behavior. The fact that belief determines behavior is what makes certain beliefs so dangerous.
When one asks why it would be ethical to drop a bomb on Ayman al-Zawahiri, the current leader of al Qaeda, the answer cannot be,“Because he killed so many people in the past.” To my knowledge, the man hasn’t killed anyone personally. However, he is likely to get a lot of innocent people killed because of what he and his followers believe about jihad, martyrdom, the ascendancy of Islam, etc. A willingness to take preventative action against a dangerous enemy is compatible with being against the death penalty (which I am). Whenever we can capture and imprison jihadists, we should. But in many cases this is either impossible or too risky. Would it have been better if we had captured Osama bin Laden? In my view, yes. Do I think the members of Seal Team Six should have assumed any added risk to bring him back alive? Absolutely not.
- See more at: http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/respo...
You're welcome.
It's not a quote mine, it's an excerpt.

Even Sam Harris' apologist site can't undo what he's said.

"Some propositions are so dangerous that it may even be ethical to kill people for believing them."

....immediately followed by....

"This may seem an extraordinary claim"

What's the extraordinary claim?

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
1. Murder, rape, child molestation, Batman Forever.
I disagree with capital punishment.

I'm not too keen on the idea of institutionalized punishment at all. What one person considers punishment, another could consider a vacation. Providing for public safety and rehabilitation is all I want from our system of justice.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
2 & 3 are synonymous.
No, but sometimes the "stand your ground laws" apply to killing in defense of property.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'd agree that killing in self defense is justified and killing a home invader is justified.
Do you agree with "stand your ground laws"?

Do you agree with killing in defense of property?

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Has that troll response ever worked for you?
Snicker.
Poor wittle boi.

Is CaliGirl getting the best of you?

Sad face.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
1. Murder, rape, child molestation...is justified .
IPSEC wrote:
Look, an excerpt.
Nope. That was a display of intellectual dishonesty.

Look it up, then tell me you didn't have to.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

Judged:

IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>So, I'm a Topix atheist and I protested that your blanket recitation of the beliefs of Topix atheists were not mine, so that makes you a liar. You countered, dishonestly, actually, that the post was in response to IANS. It wasn't. It was a silly call to arms to Dipshit Crick. So, IANS answers and illustrates that they are not his statements either. You further lie and then claim you weren't responding to IANS but issuing a blanket statement of belief of Topix atheists. So, which is it, Dipshit Redneck?
You really are not very bright.
Those were all beliefs of the Topix Atheists!

You think E=MC2 disproves God.-ChristineM

You think you can remove a piece of a mousetrap and it's still a mousetrap.-IANS

You think the Pope is an atheist.-Wilderide

You think all people are atheists.-Wilderide

You think dinosaurs had no DNA.-blacklagoon

You claim to know the Bible better than Christians, but screw up the understanding of every single verse.-all Topix Atheists!

You claim to be atheists but claim to know that there is no God.-all Topix Atheists!

You claim to be agnostic but claim to know there is no God.-all Topix Atheists!

You have a hard time understanding the meanings of very basic words and post things like "define faith".-several Topix Atheists!, including karl

Did you see the "you Topix Atheists! are so fucking intelligent" part?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

Judged:

BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The care of our mentally ill is deplorable in the USA.
I would like to believe that "ObamaCare" will fix it but I have no such delusions. All "ObamaCare" will do id make more money for insurance companies and possibly reduce the quality of health care for everyone.
Well... AHC is simply regulations about the insurance industry. It makes greedy insurance companies be not *quite* so greedy as before. That's about it. It's certainly not a cure-all.

And AHC is *not* insurance of *any* sort-- it *is* regulation of health insurance.

If you wish to blame something for bad health care? Blame the health care **industry**-- health care for **profit* is **always** pure evil.

But that's the way of Capitalism-worship... it's pretty much evil.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with capital punishment.
I'm not too keen on the idea of institutionalized punishment at all. What one person considers punishment, another could consider a vacation. Providing for public safety and rehabilitation is all I want from our system of justice.
<quoted text>
No, but sometimes the "stand your ground laws" apply to killing in defense of property.
<quoted text>
Do you agree with "stand your ground laws"?
Do you agree with killing in defense of property?
Public safety is important, I agree. Rehabilitation doesn't work most of the time and in my opinion, life in prison is a waste if public resources. I agree that some cons see prison as a vacation, I've witnessed that myself through coworkers in construction. So why send them on vacation for life? I say put em down like a rabid dog.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Poor wittle boi.
Is CaliGirl getting the best of you?
Sad face.
I can do algebra.

:O +:P = 69

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. I'd be glad to answer your prayers ..
I'm still in between Major and Minor...for a couple months.

It's free will as far as I'm concerned.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

Judged:

Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, slavery is neither moral nor ethical. Nor was it EVER.
Agreed.

Slavery cannot possibly be painted into something *other* than pure evil.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
They are designed to stop the noise...lol
Maybe they will build a damn on him, to shut him up. LMAO!
That would take...

... something divine.

:D

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
It's not a quote mine, it's an excerpt.
Even Sam Harris' apologist site can't undo what he's said.
"Some propositions are so dangerous that it may even be ethical to kill people for believing them."
....immediately followed by....
"This may seem an extraordinary claim"
What's the extraordinary claim?
There is no extraordinary claim.

It's an ordinary claim, that may seem extraordinary, to simple minded people, or those who have never really considered the decision making process in any detail.

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2014

IPSEC wrote:
So, I'm a Topix atheist and I protested that your blanket recitation of the beliefs of Topix atheists were not mine, so that makes you a liar. You countered, dishonestly, actually, that the post was in response to IANS. It wasn't. It was a silly call to arms to Dipshit Crick. So, IANS answers and illustrates that they are not his statements either. You further lie and then claim you weren't responding to IANS but issuing a blanket statement of belief of Topix atheists. So, which is it, Dipshit Redneck?
You really are not very bright.
I think these "Topix Atheists!" are just imaginary.

RR never seems to be talking about anyone in particular, or describing any actual group accurately.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••