Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258480 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#219706 Mar 16, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the only phrase Judge Jones didn't plagiarize from ACLU shisters.
You forgot to mention Behe claiming astrology is science. If you're going to lie, Darwin's Dipshit, go all the way, man.
I will also note that you once again are throwing up a red herring to avoid the topic.

ID lost. Plain and simple. As it should have.

Oh.

And.

"Cdesign proponentists"

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#219707 Mar 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I named the Topix Atheists! that say these crazy things.
You've made it to the list now...
[NEW] Killing people for beliefs is an ordinary claim.-Tide
Killing people for beliefs is an action, not a claim.

You really should stick to verbatim quotes.

You don't want people to think you're dishonest, do you?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#219709 Mar 16, 2014
2 Million Scientists Evangelical

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2014/febr...

Location hidden

#219710 Mar 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yes. Prison only makes people angrier and teaches them how to be better criminals.
According to the National Institute of Justice, the number of Americans behind bars has increased for 37 years in a row.
California's Expert Panel on Rehabilitation found that California spent less than $3,000 per year, per inmate, on rehabilitation programs, and that 50 percent of all prisoners released the year before had not participated in a single program.
The U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics reports that two-thirds of released prisoners are rearrested for at least one serious new crime, and more than half are re-incarcerated within three years of release.
However, rehabilitation does work some of the time, when implemented properly.
This is a very interesting read on prison stats and how certain rehabilitation techniques fail while others succeed:
http://nij.gov/journals/268/Pages/prison-bubb...
But keep in mind, rehabilitation only works if the person wants it to.
Okay.

Let's offer rehabilitation programs that work to those that want it.

#219711 Mar 16, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It's no Peppered Moth warmed on a car hood and glued to a tree.
So effing what? It still shows the camouflage given by the color pattern. Is this so difficult for you to understand? Must you parrot every piece of tripe put out by the creationist community?
Buck Crick wrote:
What West was addressing was people who want to have it both ways.
Sorry, but he says bashing ID is an anti-religious view. The only possible conclusion is he thinks ID is a religious view.

But then, you have never shown strong comprehension skills.
Buck Crick wrote:
Is ID "non-scientific"
Yes. ID is not scientific.
Buck Crick wrote:
when it agrees with mainstream science?
But it doesn't.
Buck Crick wrote:
I sense that it is only "non-scientific" when it departs from orthodoxy.
A stereotype is an uncritical judgement.
Buck, what you know about science could be written on the head of a pin with a 4" paintbrush.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#219712 Mar 16, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> I think critics want to be able to bash Christians with impunity and then whine when Christians defend their beliefs, which is their right, and point out logical consequences of unbelief.
.. instead of living in the now, you fret and fret about the future, the consequences of unbelief ..

.. if a mountain lion stood in your path, there would be little time to fret. Instead, you would act, your entire body would go into overdrive, instinct would prevail ..

.. fear is always an attempt to control what might happen in the future. The idea of possible pain and misery in an afterlife drive the imagination, the fear, ever forward and stops humans from living in the now. Religious leaders know exactly how to manipulate this basic human emotion ..

.. you've been bamboozled. Try living in the now ..

#219713 Mar 16, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>They did wipe the floor with Dembski as he was attached. just because he didn't testify does not mean that his "ideas" were not eviscerated. This is not a courtroom, this is a chat room. There are no technicalities here. Dembski's IDiocy was eviscerated in that case.
I will agree Dembski's ideas were thoroughly bashed. "Breathtaking inanity" says it all.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#219714 Mar 16, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Killing people for beliefs is an action, not a claim.
You really should stick to verbatim quotes.
You don't want people to think you're dishonest, do you?
I've never killed anybody. I think it's more fun just to beat them up.

#219715 Mar 16, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Your concession speech has been logged. Kitzmiller v Dover was a slam dunk. You lose. Dear Leader is a figment of your drunken imagination, felon.
Buck has some eloquence in what he says, but he still argues like a 3rd grader on the playground.

"You're stupid"

"You're a liar"

That is what so many of his "arguments" boil down to.

#219716 Mar 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I never quoted Darwin.
How do you accuse me of quote mining him?
<headdesk>

I guess you missed that word "like", as in "what you did with Harris is LIKE what creationists do with Darwin."

<facepalm>

Location hidden

#219717 Mar 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
On average, an inmate in the US costs taxpayers $23,000 a year.
So if you figure some schmuck that murdered his wife for cheating on him gets life in prison, her life's apparent worth is determined on the man's age and how long his life is.
Assume he kills her at 25 and lives until he's 70, in prison.
Then the dollar amount for a life is $1,035,000.
Or we can go to Home Depot, but a rope for $19.99 and reuse it on every scumbag murderer like him.
Thank you for offering your opinion, Christian, but I disagree with capital punishment.

I wouldn't kill someone who is not an immediate threat to human life. I wouldn't be willing to kill the portion of innocents along with the guilty, even if I was willing to kill the guilty.

#219718 Mar 16, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Christians did not create slavery. The problem with Bible bashers is they somehow assume slavery is wrong at all places at all times under all circumstances. So they say but they only address the issue by select quoting Scripture. Well if slavery is wrong at all places at all time for all people then provide an objective source for that assumption apart from Scripture. Put up or shut up.
In a sense, it is true that Christians did not create slavery. It was pervasive in the world where Christianity arose, and Christians merely adopted the norm.

However, if one looks at the creation of slavery in the British colonies that became the US, it WAS Christians that created the institution. And it was Christians that insisted it be maintained when the Constitution was written, it was Christians that argued it be maintained despite rising abolitionist feelings, and it was Christians that went to war to defend it as an institution.

(Please note: I did not say ALL Christians held these positions. But those that did were overwhelmingly Christian.)

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#219719 Mar 16, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You are assuming the world posses your intelligence.
But it does not so violent solutions are as matter of fact. IRL
Sadly, you are correct. Religion isn't helping, though-- quite the opposite, in fact.

So much for "the religion of peace" --(most claim to bring peace-- none ever do)

Even worse for the religions who claim to be loving-- they are, in fact, the opposite (christianity)

#219720 Mar 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm a modern day Asimov.
Welcome to the atheist community.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#219721 Mar 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
AIDS....
Yes, yes... we already KNOW you are gay.

Are you now trying to claim you have AIDS as well?

If so-- you have my pity.

Location hidden

#219722 Mar 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
It HAS to be considered.
Other considerations remain the priority, since we cannot apply punishment on a personalized basis.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You wouldn't be saying that had you the experience with ex-cons and cons the way I have.
I would. I don't fall for sampling errors. I'm trained in statistical analysis.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
An eye for an eye, bitch.
Just like Jesus said.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I answered your questions.
You answered YES to both of these, correct?

Do you agree with the "stand your ground laws"?

Do you think it is justifiable to kill in defense of property?

#219723 Mar 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
AIDS spread among gays because they treated each other as sexual property.
And AIDS spread among heterosexuals because they treated each other as sexual property

Yes, AIDS spreads because people have sex.

Do you have some point here?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#219724 Mar 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Said no such thing.
Actually-- you said EXACTLY that!

You admonished the other poster, for failing to state that your evil program "helps christians"

The implication that it DOES NOT help non-christians.

And in fact, this FACT is born out by your link-- the program TOSSES OUT ALL NON-CHRISTIANS OR ANYONE WHO FAILS TO CONVERT.

And you are lying-- the article mentions that this ugly organization WAS trying to get FEDERAL FUNDS.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#219725 Mar 16, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Evil based on what?
Humanitarian principles. If I have to spell this out for you?

YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> That would seem to be the case and if it is legal what is your problem. More to the point why is all that objectively wrong if man is nothing more than big brained ape like creatures?
Humanitarian principles-- again.

Clearly, you have NO EMPATHY OF ANY SORT.

Hardly surprising, seeing as how you worship a god you believe uses TORTURE.

And you ALSO worship a god who CONDONES SLAVERY.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#219726 Mar 16, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
2 Million Scientists Evangelical
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2014/febr...
That is sad news, indeed.

**REAL** scientists are wondering why the numbers are so high-- where did the educational system fail these nutjobs?

Because make no mistake-- evangelical christians are ILL SUITED to scientific principles.

Science **DEMANDS** that you follow the EVIDENCE WHERE IT LEADS.

Evangelicals DEMAND that you IGNORE ANY AND ALL FACTS, if it contradicts the ugly bible...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 41 min positronium 87,328
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) Feb 17 superwilly 5,811
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Feb 14 ChristineM 4,032
Christianity almost did not happen Feb 12 Quatsch22 1
News Egypt's parliament takes serious actions to com... Feb 12 dollarsbillmom 19
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Feb 10 superwilly 5,154
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Feb 9 Eagle 12 - 257
More from around the web