Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258476 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#219629 Mar 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Your speculation bores me.
hahahaaa

The religious belief found in Judaism, Christianity, Baha'i, Islam, Hinduism - all religion - is nothing but speculation.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#219630 Mar 16, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians eliminating slavery is not drivel, since that is exactly what happened..
.. abolitionists and, ultimately, Lincoln, eliminated slavery. Some abolitionists were Christian, others not so much ..
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
We are not credible if we tag them only with the negatives, and not the positives..
.. this is true. KiMare's original post claimed atheists did nothing about slavery. We do not know that. Regardless, since Christians created the vile institution, wouldn't it be their responsibility to eliminate it ??..
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Lincoln was not a humanist, but a theist..
.. that's debatable. While Honest Abe professed Christianity, he was not a member of any church nor did he indulge in religious rituals. He did accompany Mrs. Lincoln, an advocate of the occult, to seances ..
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
And he was not an abolitionist.
.. first and foremost, he was a politician walking a fine line. There will also be an unending debate on Lincoln's commitment to racial equality ..
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
He said if he could preserve the union without eliminating slavery, he would do it.
"Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally." Abraham Lincoln

With Established Harem

#219631 Mar 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The US insures that every measure is taken to avoid any and all collateral damage.
.. how do drones avoid collateral damage ??..

.. when you kill someone's child, you multiply your enemies ..
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And typically, the women and children around him support him and train with him.
.. ya, that's part of "Stand By Your Man" ..

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#219638 Mar 16, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Alcoholics Anonymous has a recidivism rate identical to no program at all. Secular programs have wonderful success rates. You're an idiot.
Ah, an unvalidated opinion followed by a ugly, bully troll assault. And there you have the 'rational atheist' oxymoron at it's best once again...

One well known example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teen_Challenge

Smile.

Location hidden

#219639 Mar 16, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Funny, but there are 100s of millions of Christians who disagree with you. Which subset of you immoral clowns are we to believe?
No there is not.

Smile.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#219640 Mar 16, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Michael Behe:
"A final reason for the persuasiveness of the example [Miller mousetrap] we can call the "Clever Hans effect." Clever Hans was the name of a horse who seemed to be pretty good at arithmetic. Its owner would give Hans a simple math problem such as 5+5, and the horse would stamp his hoof ten times, then stop. It eventually turned out that Clever Hans could pick up unconscious cues from its owner, who might raise his eyebrows or tilt his head when the horse's stamping reached the right value. The horse could even pick up unintentional cues from other people, not just the owner, who also apparently gave telltale reactions. In the case of Clever Hans, the human intelligence of the owner was inadvertently attributed to the horse. In my experience the same is invariably true of Darwinian scenarios--human intelligence is critical to guiding the scenario through difficulties toward the "proper" goal, but the intelligence is then attributed to natural selection. As with Clever Hans, the guidance is usually unconscious, but is intelligent nonetheless."
I've read this four times. I understand the story birding understand the relevance.

With Established Harem

#219641 Mar 16, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a bat. You sleep hanging upside down.
.. River Tam laughed like a hyena when I appeared at her door dressed in Fountain's latest gift ..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1d...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219642 Mar 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Your speculation bores me.
scaritual wrote:
hahahaaa
The religious belief found in Judaism, Christianity, Baha'i, Islam, Hinduism - all religion - is nothing but speculation.
My speculation doesn't bore me.

IPSEC's speculation of illegal workers does.

Location hidden

#219643 Mar 16, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>.. If they call themselves Christian, their Christian...
Based on that 'rational atheist' oxymoronic reasoning, if one atheist is stupid like you, all atheists are stupid.

Snicker.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219644 Mar 16, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Through the people that operate them.
When that child is being trained how to use automatic weapons and being trained to hate America and Americans, that child is already an enemy.

A child can kill you just as easily as a man.
.. ya, that's part of "Stand By Your Man" ..
"Standing by" bin Laden is supporting his terrorism, the murder of innocents and the war he waged against America.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219645 Mar 16, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't change any words. You took Harris out of context. Just admit you were dishonest. For once. Shouldn't you be fellating Dear Leader at a local House of Con by now? You know I disagree with Harris, so that is not the point.
Here is just like what you did and this is the most famous quote mining you Dear Leaser-addled morons have.
Darwin:
To suppose that the eye, with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree.
What he actually wrote:
To suppose that the eye, with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree. Yet reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a perfect and complex eye to one very imperfect and simple, each grade being useful to its possessor, can be shown to exist; if further, the eye does vary ever so slightly, and the variations be inherited, which is certainly the case; and if any variation or modification in the organ be ever useful to an animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, can hardly be considered real. How a nerve comes to be sensitive to light, hardly concerns us more than how life itself first originated; but I may remark that several facts make me suspect that any sensitive nerve may be rendered sensitive to light, and likewise to those coarser vibrations of the air which produce sound.
You're not very bright.
I never quoted Darwin.

How do you accuse me of quote mining him?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219646 Mar 16, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>This is a chat room, not a courtroom. You can't decry the inefficacy of rehab and then state your case that it is due to funding and inadequate programs. You contradicted yourself. How can we know if rehab rarely works if it is administered incorrectly. It may work 100% of the time. You un nuanced pedantry paints you as a simpleton.
I didn't say it was only due to funding and inadequate programs.

I included the fact that rehab only works if the person in rehab is willing to rehabilitate themselves. Most cons are not willing, they enjoy their lazy life.

I never even brought up funding.

You can't read very well.

Location hidden

#219647 Mar 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, an unvalidated opinion followed by a ugly, bully troll assault. And there you have the 'rational atheist' oxymoron at it's best once again...
One well known example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teen_Challenge
Smile.
From your link:

"While the numbers of subjects was small (17 in each group), he found evidence to support his recommendation that, while Teen Challenge was an "effective" treatment (with a drug recidivism rate after 29 months of 32%), Transactional Analysis was a "very effective" treatment (with a comparable 16% rate), suggesting that perhaps the lower recidivism rates were a result of TA changing the addiction concept of the self-image more thoroughly and at a slower pace."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teen_Challenge#S...

More about Transactional Analysis:

"Transactional analysis (TA to its adherents), is an integrative approach to the theory of psychology and psychotherapy.

It is described as integrative because it has elements of psychoanalytic, humanist and cognitive approaches."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transactional_an...

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#219648 Mar 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No it doesn't. Irreducible complexity means; "composed of several well-matched, interacting parts that contribute to the basic function, wherein the removal of any one of the parts causes the system to effectively cease functioning".
In other words, remove the spring of the mousetrap and you no longer have a functioning mousetrap.
Brilliant! Ar Ar.....
That doesn't prove anything, other than if you break something, it doesn't work.

Location hidden

#219649 Mar 16, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:

.. ya, that's part of "Stand By Your Man"
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
When that child is being trained how to use automatic weapons and being trained to hate America and Americans, that child is already an enemy.
<quoted text>
"Standing by" bin Laden is supporting his terrorism, the murder of innocents and the war he waged against America.
So, in effect, you >do< support killing a person or people for their beliefs.

Maybe you and Sam Harris aren't so different after all.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#219650 Mar 16, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Regardless, since Christians created the vile institution, wouldn't it be their responsibility to eliminate it ??..
Christians did not create slavery. The problem with Bible bashers is they somehow assume slavery is wrong at all places at all times under all circumstances. So they say but they only address the issue by select quoting Scripture. Well if slavery is wrong at all places at all time for all people then provide an objective source for that assumption apart from Scripture. Put up or shut up.

With Established Harem

#219651 Mar 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
.. doesn't the bible say a wife must obey her husband? Must not Mrs. Bin Laden stand by her man since he is the god-head and his interpretation of scripture must be obeyed? Would you want it any other way ??..

Location hidden

#219652 Mar 16, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
Christians did not create slavery. The problem with Bible bashers is they somehow assume slavery is wrong at all places at all times under all circumstances. So they say but they only address the issue by select quoting Scripture. Well if slavery is wrong at all places at all time for all people then provide an objective source for that assumption apart from Scripture. Put up or shut up.
<lightbeanrider> "... I am fully aware the bible supported slavery, and was even used to support slavery by the Anti-Abolishionists .... hmmm ... Heck, even my deity commanded that slaves should be taken ... Now, show me something that trumps the advocacy of slavery in my bible..."

With Established Harem

#219653 Mar 16, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Christians did not create slavery. The problem with Bible bashers is they somehow assume slavery is wrong at all places at all times under all circumstances. So they say but they only address the issue by select quoting Scripture. Well if slavery is wrong at all places at all time for all people then provide an objective source for that assumption apart from Scripture. Put up or shut up.
.. in America, Christians endorsed and promoted the concept of slavery ..

.. under all circumstances, the enslavery of another human being is amoral ..

.. to defend such a vile practice will only lead to an ignominious defeat by your peers ..

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219654 Mar 16, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. River Tam laughed like a hyena when I appeared at her door dressed in Fountain's latest gift ..
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1d...
She'll need to borrow some scarves.

http://www.google.com/imgres...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Dogen 75,685
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 6 hr Frindly 32,060
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 7 hr Regolith Based Li... 4,084
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 9 hr Brendatucker 232
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 10 hr Subduction Zone 6,112
Majority of Scots now have no religion (May '16) Tue John 164
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) Tue Eagle 12 - 581
More from around the web