Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256096 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#219575 Mar 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I never said they were yours , I said they were the ideas of the Topix Atheists!
I know what you posted. Did you have a point?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#219576 Mar 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
You deny the New Testament encourages moral behavior for Christians? By the way, you are very consistent as a 'rational atheist' oxymoron. Smile.
I don't deny that your bible gives lip service to moral behavior, but it doesn't promote it. Just look at you. Your posting behavior is repulsive. Every unbeliever here outperforms you, and we don't need a bible to do it.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#219577 Mar 16, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Feeling persecuted again? I'm going to guess that those people went to preach where they knew they were unwelcome rather than being hunted down in their homes while minding their own business.
My father told me not to fuck with the bull if you're not prepared to take the horn, and if you do, don't cry about it.
They were residents of those countries.

http://conservativepost.com/warning-graphic-v...

Your extreme bigotry is blinding you.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#219578 Mar 16, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>What happened to you, in your life, to make you such a vile monster?
Religion.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#219579 Mar 16, 2014
tricki

Douglassville, PA

#219580 Mar 16, 2014
<quoted text>I don't deny that your bible gives lip service to moral behavior, but it doesn't promote it. Just look at you. Your posting behavior is repulsive. Every unbeliever here outperforms you, and we don't need a bible to do it.
Catcher1 wrote: <quoted text>Well, at least you're keeping up the Church tradition.Why not burn them at the stake, or put them to death slowly and in agony in a torture machine, like in the good old Church days?I better stop; this post probably has you frothing at the mouth, like the rabid dog that you are.

come on. that all you got?
tricki

Douglassville, PA

#219581 Mar 16, 2014
<quoted text>I don't deny that your bible gives lip service to moral behavior, but it doesn't promote it. Just look at you. Your posting behavior is repulsive. Every unbeliever here outperforms you, and we don't need a bible to do it.
Catcher1 wrote: <quoted text>Well, at least you're keeping up the Church tradition.Why not burn them at the stake, or put them to death slowly and in agony in a torture machine, like in the good old Church days?I better stop; this post probably has you frothing at the mouth, like the rabid dog that you are. Feeling persecuted again? I'm going to guess that those people went to preach where they knew they were unwelcome rather than being hunted down in their homes while minding their own business. My father told me not to fuck with the bull if you're not prepared to take the horn, and if you do, don't cry about it. Would you agree that irrational biases - prejudgements not based in evidence - are counterproductive and/or unjust, but that wisdom is a series of accurate judgments borne of experience rightly understood? Is it a bias to dislike a restaurant that frequently serves bad meals served at the wrong temperature on dirty dishes? If you use the word bias that way, then rationals bias is the best way to judge things. If you reserve the meaning of the word bias only to irrational judgments, what do you call the other kind?

that's it?

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#219582 Mar 16, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I give you...

The Saga of Bjorn

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#219583 Mar 16, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck:
ID is not "competing science."
ID is not science.
ID is religion, lightly disguised.
Teaching ID in the schools is violative of Constitutional principles.
Deal with it; the ship has sailed for your views.
If you had something to offer on this other than bald assertions, I think we would have seen it by now.

Incidentally, when a non-ID scientist publishes research supporting components of ID, is that also religion?

Guess so.

This mainstream refereed paper supports irreducible complexity. If Scott Minnich and William Dembski had published it, it would be religion, according to you.

Dr. Scott Minnich: "In short, I think this is a fascinating review looking at DNA organization and function which, in the authors words, are irreducibly complex."

Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences
December 2013, Volume 70, Issue 23, pp 4555-4567
Integration of syntactic and semantic properties of the DNA code reveals chromosomes as thermodynamic machines converting energy into information
Georgi Muskhelishvili, Andrew Travers

"These two DNA information types are intrinsically coupled in the primary sequence organisation, and this coupling is directly relevant to regulation of the genetic function. In this review, we emphasise the critical need of holistic integration of the DNA information as a prerequisite for understanding the organisational complexity of the genetic regulation system."

On the substance, you don't know what you're talking about. On the argument for your assertions, you have nothing.

Location hidden

#219584 Mar 16, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. did you miss the point of my quizzes ??..
.. since Christians advocated the enslavement of a race, promoted the vile institution, claimed Blacks were only 3/5 human and quoted the bible to substantiate their position, wouldn't it be the Christians' responsibility to overturn the inhumane doctrine ??..
.. back then, materialistic Christians held the power and atheists were a huge closeted minority, politically bankrupt. It took a Civil War, the deaths of 600,000+ soldiers, to end this vile institution invented by good Christian men like George Washington. Rest assured, some of the troops that died were atheists or humanists ..
.. before posting the drivel that Christians eliminated slavery while atheists did nothing, think your position through. Lincoln, a humanist, ended the repulsive system of slavery ..
. guffaw ..
Christians eliminating slavery is not drivel, since that is exactly what happened.

We are not credible if we tag them only with the negatives, and not the positives.

Lincoln was not a humanist, but a theist. And he was not an abolitionist. He said if he could preserve the union without eliminating slavery, he would do it.

Location hidden

#219585 Mar 16, 2014
<quoted text>
Thought crime.
You worship a god that punishes for thought crimes even as you rail against Harris for saying that certain thought MIGHT deserve to be considered crimes.
Your values are depraved and you contradict yourself. Please explain to me again how being raised in the Christian tradition prepares you better for life than being raised a humanist.
You have a good point - Christian reason is nearly as bad as Harris' reasoning.

Location hidden

#219586 Mar 16, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you avoided the quote from West that Intelligent Design is religion. And West is one of the big shots of the Discovery Institute.
Game...Set...and Match.
There is no such quote. You're lying.

Location hidden

#219587 Mar 16, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Apologies. You did comment after all.
Sorry, Buck. You fail at logic. If dissing ID is anti-religious, well, it just sort of follows that ID is religious.
Game...Set...and Match.
(Jeez. The convolutions you go through to rationalize the cognitive dissonance is astounding.)
You reversed the order. You are a liar.

Location hidden

#219588 Mar 16, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Your bias is preventing you from addressing what he actually said and believes.
Your opinion on the matter is irrelevant. Worse than that, your reputation continues to plummet.
<quoted text>
Obviously.
RR is addressing exactly what Harris said and believes.

He said we have to consider killing people preemptively for their beliefs. And he admitted it is an extraordinary claim.

Dance away.

Location hidden

#219589 Mar 16, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Arguing with a strawman is easier. I understand.
Harris is talking about killing in self defense using acceptance of dangerous propositions as a predictor for future behavior.
You're lying. Harris' prescription is not for dealing with action, but with belief.

Killing in self-defense is not an "extraordinary claim", and requires no argument.

"Some propositions are so dangerous that it may even be ethical to kill people for believing them. This may seem an extraordinary claim, but it merely enunciates an ordinary fact about the world in which we live."

Location hidden

#219590 Mar 16, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
If their beliefs included killing large numbers of innocent people, and people with those same beliefs had done just that on numerous occasions?
Yeah. I can see it. Kind of what we did with the Taliban and bin laden. Remember them?
Your logic jack-knifed. Taliban and Bin Laden were killed for actions.

Location hidden

#219591 Mar 16, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no extraordinary claim.
It's an ordinary claim, that may seem extraordinary, to simple minded people, or those who have never really considered the decision making process in any detail.
So he was writing only to simple-minded people?

You can't spin this. Neither can Harris. He committed inadvertent honesty - he exposed his true sentiment for eliminating people of belief by killing them if necessary, even if no wrongful action is committed.

Location hidden

#219592 Mar 16, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Kitzmiller vs Dover was the slam dunk that ID was a religious assertion. They took the book "Of Panda's and People, ironically published by the Foundation for Thought and Ethics, and changed every instance of Creator or creation with Intelligent Design. This was demonstrated in the word charts from Barbara Forrest's testimony that was done after the 1987 Edwards v. Aguillard decision. It proved to the courts of the religious origin of ID and showed what bald-faced liars the clown in Apologetics, Inc. are.
They wiped the floor with Behe and Dembski. Precipitously. How any clown can then even further claim that ID has nothing to do with religion, when for each clown it points to the god they have created in their own image, is even more ridiculous. It is incredible how much the religionista have to lie for their immoral dogma.
It's all here you religious liars.
http://ncse.com/book/export/html/11798
"They wiped the floor with Behe and Dembski."

Dembski wasn't there. Good indication of the accuracy of your remarks. Thanks.

Location hidden

#219593 Mar 16, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, they didn't wipe the floor with Dembski...because Dembski refused to testify for the school board. Laughably, Dembski charged them for his time preparing to testify...even though he didn't testify.
But, yes, Behe was soundly embarrassed.
Yes, the Pandas and People testimony really did show the link between ID and creationism (not that you will ever get Buck to admit it). "Cdesign proponentists" says it all..the transitional fossil.
And then there is Judge Jones's comment on the attempts of the school board to inject ID..."breathtaking inanity".
That's the only phrase Judge Jones didn't plagiarize from ACLU shisters.

You forgot to mention Behe claiming astrology is science. If you're going to lie, Darwin's Dipshit, go all the way, man.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#219594 Mar 16, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I think these "Topix Atheists!" are just imaginary.
RR never seems to be talking about anyone in particular, or describing any actual group accurately.
I named the Topix Atheists! that say these crazy things.

You've made it to the list now...

http://m.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DVLL...

Those were all beliefs of the Topix Atheists!

You think E=MC2 disproves God.-ChristineM

You think you can remove a piece of a mousetrap and it's still a mousetrap.-IANS

You think the Pope is an atheist.-Wilderide

You think all people are atheists.-Wilderide

You think dinosaurs had no DNA.-blacklagoon

You claim to know the Bible better than Christians, but screw up the understanding of every single verse.-all Topix Atheists!

You claim to be atheists but claim to know that there is no God.-all Topix Atheists!

You claim to be agnostic but claim to know there is no God.-all Topix Atheists!

You have a hard time understanding the meanings of very basic words and post things like "define faith".-several Topix Atheists!, including karl

[NEW] Killing people for beliefs is an ordinary claim.-Tide

Did you see the "you Topix Atheists! are so fucking intelligent" part?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 min IB DaMann 40,802
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 15 min IB DaMann 16,330
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 25 min thetruth 59
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 25 min thetruth 4,692
Good arguments against Christianity 28 min thetruth 104
A Universe from Nothing? 44 min IB DaMann 88
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 54 min Mikko 3,772
More from around the web