Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#219223 Mar 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
All right. We're fixin' a squarin' off place.
Why? You BRAG about being an ignorant, uneducated loser. Were you lying about that?

San Francisco

#219224 Mar 14, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>That wasn't even close to my argument. The Gentiles were broght the gospel because the Jews (enough of them anyway) were not following it. The Gentiles were living God's laws better than the Jews who had the gospel which showed the message of the gospel (love) was imprinted in their hearts even without having the Bible
I didn't say anything about that explaining God getting His word to everyone. You made up my side and then responded incredulously to your own imagination. We are commissioned to witness because it is the duty of believers to spread the word. Probably because faith not proof is crucial to the process
My point was simply for salvation, judgement will be the same for the Jews and the Gentiles. And faith is required in both cases. However if someone doesn't know what they are doing is a sin, obviously they are not judged as harshly as those that know it is wrong and do it anyway
Well then what is your understanding of the fate of people who never hear about Jesus? For example, people who lived outside of the Middle-East where the story of Jesus took many centuries to reach? How does God judge them if they've never even heard of God or God's laws and expectations for judgement?

San Francisco

#219225 Mar 14, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>You simply don't understand that scripture. Although my last post should have cleared it up. Not everybody had it imprinted and not everything was included. It was simply a verse that was describing people (Gentiles) who were observed treating each other better than some of those that knew the gospel
So, obviously, if not everybody had it imprinted, what about them? Those non-imprinted people represent a huge number, including all peoples in North and South America for many, many centuries, India and the far East, and Australia.

Don't they count? Do you see the ridiculousness of God's communication issues now?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#219226 Mar 14, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, so I cannot say that I know for a fact that there are no deities anywhere in the universe, but I don't believe in any deities because so far I have not been presented with convincing evidence of any.
Does that make me an atheist or an agnostic?
Agnostic.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219227 Mar 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, I thought of something else the Redneck left out, as you know.
Again: He left out that he's an ignorant, uneducated loser.
C'mon, Buck, get with the program already.
You forgot devastatingly handsome.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219228 Mar 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
All right. We're fixin' a squarin' off place.
Catcher1 wrote:
No, it's the Redneck who's an ignorant, uneducated loser.
You're well educated.
You're either scared of Buck or kissing his ass.

Probably both.

San Francisco

#219229 Mar 14, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>You don't have to believe another god doesn't exist to believe it isn't a god to be worshipped
You are trying to make belief something exists synonymous with following that dirty as your god. The pope may or may not believe a Hindu god exists or may have no opinion. It wouldn't matter as it would be irrelevant to him. But you can't presume to know what he believes as far as the existence of other gods just because he doesn't worship them
But my point is, what if those other gods also judge people the way the Judeo-Christian God supposedly does? Maybe the Judeo-Christian God is setting all it's followers up for failure with other, possibly more powerful gods.

San Francisco

#219230 Mar 14, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Again you made up my part of the conversation then responded to it
My post had nothing to do with arguing there are spiritual forces. It was simply addressing your incorrect statement that someone needs there to be religion in order to be atheist
And you clearly don't believe God exists that has a relationship with humans. I'm not going to change subjects what what you may think could be possible sometime in the future. My post was about your belief now as an atheist concerning God. And I'm not gonna handhold you thru conversations. You know what I mean by higher power. I said higher power instead of God because some religions believe nature is the higher power or whatever. But you really didn't know I was talking about a spiritual higher power?
No, I don't know what you mean by "higher power". And defining it as "spiritual" doesn't help me either. Please define what a "spiritual higher power" is, and then we can discuss that.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219231 Mar 14, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Short answer: The existence for the Judeo-Christian God is presented in the Bible. Not only is there no objective evidence to support the Bible's claims of that deity described therein, but the book itself is filled with numerous logical fallacies and contradictions. Thus I can confidently conclude that the God it describes is just as mythical as Vishnu or Osiris.
Are there gods out there in the universe somewhere? Maybe. As far as I know there is no objectively verifiable evidence that any have taken particular interest in humans. Maybe there is a god, but they are focused on dolphins and don't bother with us.
Oh.

Well your driver's license has detailed information about you written on it. But you cannot use it to prove your existence. Thus I can confidently conclude that you are as real as SpongeBob, I've sen his license too.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#219232 Mar 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no idea how often I hear that plea.
Or, it was a setup by the cops.
Entrapment!!
Yet you said a person's guilt or innocence doesn't matter to you and that you would never ask

The reason some lawyers don't want to know is because they don't want it weighing on their conscious and hindering their ability to try the case. But it seems odd someone that takes such a string stance about never asking wouldn't make it clear up front to his clients so they didn't keep blurting out info you don't want not care about

The odd thing about your story is if you never ask, then you never worry about whether you are suborning perjury which is highly unethical and can get sanctions up to disbarment.

How do you know if you are putting a liar in the stand if you don't inquire about his guilt? Or is that one of those little technicalities you play with yourself to claim technically you don't know for sure that he lying? Which again, brings us back to why you don't make it clear to your clients up front you don't want to hear anything about whether they are guilty or not, that you just want to discuss the best way to beat the case

You say a lot of things I think someone thinks a trial attorney would say if he didn't know better. It couldn't be more obvious you aren't a trial lawyer. Nor we're you. You certainly round have known you can get arrest records expunged. Particular if you were a big time lawyer cause people with money pay to get their record clean and all evidence of the arrest gone.

I wish you would at least ouch the type of lawyer you are pretending to be and stick with it. Not flip flop between trial lawyer, a lawyer that travels overseas to teach, a lawyer that deals with juveniles, etc. The only thing that would make sense is that you are a researcher as the trial attorneys pay other ppl who passed the bar to look up cases for precedent.

San Francisco

#219233 Mar 14, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>And as I stated earlier this has nothing to do with what we were talking about which was your incorrect statement that being Christian means someone must be atheist in regards to all other gods
Do you ever just admit you were wrong or is changing the subject as close as your pride will allow you to come?
I didn't think I was changing the subject, nor do I have any problem with admitting I'm wrong. I'm wrong all the time. We all are. No shame in that. It's by seeing our errors that the possibility for growth arises. In fact, IMHO, people who think they know everything or don't allow themselves to be wrong are terrible ignorant bores.

Atheism is skepticism of religious claims, and thus, everyone is an atheist in some regard because no one accepts every religion as valid. That's how I look at it.

As I asked before, if I can't say with certainty that no gods exist anywhere in the universe, but I don't believe in any gods because none have presented any objective evidence for themselves yet, am I an atheist or an agnostic? I'm fine with either label.

Location hidden

#219234 Mar 14, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
But my point is, what if those other gods also judge people the way the Judeo-Christian God supposedly does? Maybe the Judeo-Christian God is setting all it's followers up for failure with other, possibly more powerful gods.
Then Christians will be shit outta luck come judgement day

Kind of the expected consequences when following one faith

Of course it's possible

Although I'm not completely convinced even God as I know Him does that. It's possible for some their only way is through Christ once they have heard the scripture and believed. Perhaps others came to know God by a different name but still live by the same rules of live God and love your neighbor and might be ok. I'm not God so I don't know. But the more one advances in their faith the less it has to do about religion and the more it has to do about a relationship. Someone may have that relationship but simply not know which door they entered to have it

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219235 Mar 14, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but your argument for those who lived their lives never having heard about the story of Jesus is that they will be judged solely on their actions, and because they would have been wholly unaware of Biblical law those laws were supposed to be "imprinted in their hears"?
So...God wasn't capable of telling everyone about Jesus in real-time, but God was capable of supposedly "imprinting in everyone's hearts" what the expectations for behavior were supposed to be from a god that they had never heard of?
WTF???
Moreover, Christians can be condemned for thought-crimes, but those who never hear about Jesus are only judged for their actions.
RR: here is Exhibit A for "why I'm very confident that the Judeo-Christian God does not exist".
Oh.

Now you're just confident of your opinion.

Yesterday you "knew".

Make up your mind.

“BAS in Electrical Engineering”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#219236 Mar 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.
Well your driver's license has detailed information about you written on it. But you cannot use it to prove your existence. Thus I can confidently conclude that you are as real as SpongeBob, I've sen his license too.
However you are trying to compare something that was written thousands of years ago about someone that could basically just died to an ID card that only exists because the person is still alive.

How can you make that comparison?

Location hidden

#219237 Mar 14, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't think I was changing the subject, nor do I have any problem with admitting I'm wrong. I'm wrong all the time. We all are. No shame in that. It's by seeing our errors that the possibility for growth arises. In fact, IMHO, people who think they know everything or don't allow themselves to be wrong are terrible ignorant bores.
Atheism is skepticism of religious claims, and thus, everyone is an atheist in some regard because no one accepts every religion as valid. That's how I look at it.
As I asked before, if I can't say with certainty that no gods exist anywhere in the universe, but I don't believe in any gods because none have presented any objective evidence for themselves yet, am I an atheist or an agnostic? I'm fine with either label.
I was never trying to define you though. I don't get how some define atheist but don't really care. Although I think how you define it makes more sense. I was just making the point religion isn't required for one to be atheist, even if that happens to be the reason a lot of times

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219238 Mar 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Redneck has admitted to racism, to hitting his wife and to using corporal punishment on a six-month-old baby.
He's also a misogynist and a homophobe.
He attacked a motorist by smashing the front windshield with a club.
He dropped out, or flunked out, of high school.
And he self-righteously speaks of the sanctity of marriage, but he didn't just hit his wife, he divorced her and now demeans her publicly.
A real "Christian," that Redneck.
I demean you publicly too, bath house boy.

So sue me.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219239 Mar 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Getting serious for a moment, the gangbangers (especially shot callers) and the Aryan Brotherhood guys are the most dangerous in the California prisons.
You mean the peckerwoods?

Location hidden

#219240 Mar 14, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
So, obviously, if not everybody had it imprinted, what about them? Those non-imprinted people represent a huge number, including all peoples in North and South America for many, many centuries, India and the far East, and Australia.
Don't they count? Do you see the ridiculousness of God's communication issues now?
I will repeat

It being imprinted has nothing to do with how the message is delivered or whether it needs to be. We would not be required to witness if that was the case

The only relevance the verse about imprinting has was to make the point to some Jews "look, people who haven't even heard the gospel are living more like God wants them to than you are"

It was a rebuke of the Jews and part of the reason the gospel was going to be taught to the Gentiles as they demonstrated by how they were living that they would have a heart that would be open to a gospel that teaches love your fellow man

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#219241 Mar 14, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Trying to convince people of your manhood again?

Man, how insecure are you?

Thinking there is an after-life would make people less afraid of harm in this world

Dumbass troll

LOL
Then why aren't they?

Location hidden

#219242 Mar 14, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't know what you mean by "higher power". And defining it as "spiritual" doesn't help me either. Please define what a "spiritual higher power" is, and then we can discuss that.
No

If you are saying you need the idea of a belief in God or a spiritual higher power explained to you so you don't confuse it with a force of nature like gravity then we have so far to go before we can have even a basic exchange on it then is worth the time to invest

I assumed you would understand the concept since you are an atheist yet you believe in gravity

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 2 hr Frindly 3,555
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 13 hr Frindly 84,105
News BILL-BORED: Get Ready For Atheists' Annual Use ... Dec 15 Eagle 12 - 9
News Scientist Richard Dawkins weighs in on Malaysia... Dec 14 Eagle 12 - 6
High School Atheism Dec 14 blacklagoon 3 41
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Dec 13 Eagle 12 - 4,965
Where have all the Atheists gone? (Apr '17) Dec 13 Eagle 12 - 132
More from around the web