Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#219006 Mar 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Mussolini made the trains run on time.
We should make him the boss of Cityrail here.
:-)

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#219007 Mar 13, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Wilderide and Scar have given you the OT justifications for slavery, so I'll confine myself to the NT. That's the only one Xians follow, yeah right.
The writings of the New was simply addressing the universal circumstances as they were at that time as it relates to various types of slavery practiced 2000 years ago in that area. Slavery was the norm. There is no point in injecting anachronistic modern assumptions into ancient cultures. The real wrong had to do with abuse of power.and that goes for any human relationship.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#219008 Mar 13, 2014
SarahBearUYI wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep in mind, you're dealing with people who have no repercussions for the things they say in here.
Anonymity breeds false courage.
Such is life
- Ned Kelly

If he lived today, he would have said such are chatrooms.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#219009 Mar 13, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe for you. What about people living in, say, Japan in the intervening 1,500 years? Don't they count?
If you are so impressed about a mythology that has lasted two millenia, you must be even more so by Hinduism, which is documented to go back at least 10,000 years and certainly existed even before that.
I know really good place to get a very beautiful statue of Ganesh if you want one.
That's right. Our Aboriginal mythology is even older; they say from 40000 to 60000 years.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#219010 Mar 14, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. oooppppssoo. According to Mormon theology, Jesus visited Native Americans 500 years after his physical death. Why didn't He warn them about the blankets ??..
I'll have to try reading that again. To be honest, the last time I tried to read the Book of Mormon, the fake King James era style English put me off.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#219011 Mar 14, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians were virtually the ONLY ones fighting slavery. They still are.
Look between the books of Titus and Hebrews.
Really?

That I am not a member of any Christian Church, is true; but I have never denied the truth of the Scriptures; and I have never spoken with intentional disrepect of religion in general, or of any denomination of Christians in particular.
- Abraham Lincoln

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#219012 Mar 14, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Aura you know owning people has a lot of precedent in history. It is practically the norm. It does not violate any known laws of nature. If we cannot own people why can we own animals since humans are nothing more than big brained ape like creatures? I know you can produce universal human rights documents which is nothing more than feel good policies not worth the paper they are written on. If they cannot be universally enforced then they are not worth diddly squat. Any group which chooses to own others and had the power to do so is just as valid and they do. You folks come off as these moral purists but there is nothing stopping you from sticking your finger in the air and adjusting to any set of values or abuses as normal any time since you have no real anchor. No real base.
Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.
- Abraham Lincoln

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#219013 Mar 14, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Slavery is not unique to Jews, Christians, or Muslims, but the fact that their holy books condone such a practice is nevertheless just as damning to them.
The main Muslim excuse for slavery is that an African slave named Bilal ibn Rabah was freed by Muhammad and his companion Abu Bakr. They bought him off his master, who had tortured him for accepting Islam; then he was freed.
http://www.islamonline.com/news/articles/7/Bi...
http://blackarabia.blogspot.com.au/2011/09/bi...
http://sunnahonline.com/library/history-of-is...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilal_Ibn_Rabah

It's a nice story, but slavery was practised by Muslims for centuries. It was abolished in Saudi Arabia only in 1962, and still exists unofficially.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#219014 Mar 14, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. would you like Parsley or Thyme ??..

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#219015 Mar 14, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.
- Abraham Lincoln
Adding historical context and pointing ourt logic fallacies is not arguing for or against slavery. So your Lincoln quote is irrelevant to the discussion. You create and argue to a phantom.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#219016 Mar 14, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>

They bought him off his master, who had tortured him for accepting Islam; then he was freed.
Seems like accepting Islam would have been torture enough.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#219017 Mar 14, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
- Abraham Lincoln
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.

-Abraham Lincoln

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#219018 Mar 14, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
If someone said "turd", does that mean you're gonna try to polish it into an argument for the next year?
No need for sarcasm, Scar Tissue.

I'm just trying to resolve this conflict among you atheists...

Oh, excuse me. Everyone is an atheist now, according to Wilde Rice.

Anyways, Wilderice says atheism is just skepticism. Others claim it is lack of belief.

In one scenario, a rock or a turd is an atheist. In the other, no.

What about you? Is a turd an atheist? Have you met atheist turds?

If atheists have a King Turd, I'm nominating Sam Harris.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#219019 Mar 14, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
When you have people utilizing the English language and for instance, a Muslim mentions "god", it means Allah, or a Christian mentions "god" it means the Yahweh!/Jesus!/holy spirit! "trio", and if a Hindu speaks of "god", it means that they are speaking of Vishnu or one of the other deities in that pantheon.
The same holds true for each deity belief/religion etc..., each uses a generic word in every day language to represent a very non generic deity/entity/concept - that has a name unique to itself.
The word, "god", is generic, and no more distinctive or identifying as "deity".
So when you say "god" to an atheist, it means any of them. You'll have to name it, specifically.
Now you know.
Which atheist? The "skeptic" or the "lack of belief" atheist?

Because you atheists have rejiggered the definition of "atheist" so many times, the term presently has no meaning whatsoever. It means the same as a fart noise.

Pffffffffttttttt...= atheism.

So when you say "atheist", it is too vague, and you will have to specify. Do you mean the skeptic atheist, the belief-lacking atheist, or are you just making a fart noise, or are you referring to the actual meaning of the term, which is, someone who believes no god exists?

You know, that's kinda' the reason we give meanings to terms - so each of us will know what is being said when the term is used.

To that end, I supply you with this:

Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).
Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia).
Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy).
Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor).
Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist (The World Book Encyclopedia).
Atheism, commonly speaking, is the denial of God. Theism (from the Greek theos, God) is belief in or conceptualization of God, atheism is the rejection of such belief or conceptualization.In the ancient world atheism was rarely a clearly formulated position (Encyclopedia Americana).
Atheism, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswerable, for the atheist, the non-existence of god is a certainty (The New Encyclopedia Britannia).
According to the most usual definition, an atheist is a person who maintains that there is no godÂ…(rejects eccentric definitions of the word)(The Encyclopedia of Philosophy).
Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good (Encyclopedia of Religion).
Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).
Atheism denies the existence of deity (Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia-Vol I).

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#219020 Mar 14, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, yeah, the deity described in the bible is an impossibility.
Which bible?

No, it isn't.

If contradictory features are described, it could be the description that is in error.

If someone describes you to another, and gets features wrong, you would still exist.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#219021 Mar 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Products resulting from random phenomena are random.
Evolution is not random. Only the mutations are
Buck Crick wrote:
The directional selection relies on random events, its result is random.
That is incorrect. If there is a unidirectional selection pressure in play, change will be unidirectional, and order arises from apparent chaos.
Buck Crick wrote:
Selection is not "directional", because environmental forces are random and variable.
Relevant environmental forces are not random, and though variable, only within relatively limited ranges and over long times.

The relevant environmental factors are the ones that reduce fecundity and survival of the offspring. They are generally related to scarcity of resources, susceptibility to disease, and predation. Environmental factors not affecting fecundity don't have any effect.

Natural selection has been favoring the smartest, fastest, strongest, best protected, and/or best concealed organisms over less competitive ones for a long time.

Fennario

#219022 Mar 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
This uncertainty is why Harvard's greatest evolutionist, Ernst Mayr, said, "Furthermore, the objective of selection may change from one generation to the next, as environmental circumstances vary."
Selection has no objective. Neither does gravity. Both are blind, but neither is random. Both are unidirectional. In the case of gravity, it has relentlessly caused the primeval gas clouds of the early universe to organize into galaxies of solar systems. In the case of biological evolution, simpler forms have continually given rise to more complex forms.
Buck Crick wrote:
Darwinian evolution is random, blind, and non-directional.
Nope. Just blind.
Buck Crick wrote:
The powers ascribed to it are almost mystical, like Buddhism.
Gravity even more so. Newton was at a loss to explain action at a distance with no apparent material connection between bodies exerting gravitational influences on one another.

I wonder why the bible writers never commented on the magical aspect of gravity always pulling, and always pulling in the same direction. It seems like they ought to have ascribed agenticity to that phenomenon like they did to natural disasters.

Fennario

#219023 Mar 14, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Can you prevent it? Can anybody?
KiMare wrote:
Ah the 'rational atheist' oxymoron avoids answering the question with an idiotic diversion. So childish.
You are staggeringly uninsightful.

Fennario

#219024 Mar 14, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Here's a point; How can you maintain integrity without addressing the vast difference between the functional design of heterosexual intercourse and the abusive violation of anal sex? Smirk.
Here's a better point: Why would I care? I'll leave the panty sniffing to you and your god.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#219025 Mar 14, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Yep. Watch the mourning at the demise of Kim Jong Il. Dear Leader was as much a deity as Immanuel, Jesus, or Lucifer.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty much, he was a god to his people as is his son
You will bow down to your supernatural dear leader.
Dumb and Dumber...

Exactly how is he 'as much a deity' as Jesus?

Smile.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Wisdom of Ages 95,391
News Scientific, Philosophical Case for God's Existe... 3 hr Elganned 180
Why creation? 4 hr Elganned 60
Atheism saved me Wed Amused 27
man Mon blacklagoon 3 1
The atheists mind Jun 15 Elganned 63
News Atheism and Wonder Jun 14 Eagle 12 - 50