Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255511 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#218972 Mar 13, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>That's too vague, since "god" is a generic term.
I don't think he will ever, ever, ever comprehend that simple fact.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#218973 Mar 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There is but one god that's called God and you damn well know it.
Take your semantic red herring to Feltcher's table.
When you have people utilizing the English language and for instance, a Muslim mentions "god", it means Allah, or a Christian mentions "god" it means the Yahweh!/Jesus!/holy spirit! "trio", and if a Hindu speaks of "god", it means that they are speaking of Vishnu or one of the other deities in that pantheon.

The same holds true for each deity belief/religion etc..., each uses a generic word in every day language to represent a very non generic deity/entity/concept - that has a name unique to itself.

The word, "god", is generic, and no more distinctive or identifying as "deity".

So when you say "god" to an atheist, it means any of them. You'll have to name it, specifically.

Now you know.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#218974 Mar 13, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
And then behaving like there's not.
You always add do little to the conversation.

At least you're dependable on that.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#218975 Mar 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Wilder said that he's sure God doesn't exist.
He's "sure" of it.
ScarScar even agreed with him.
Well, yeah, the deity described in the bible is an impossibility.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#218976 Mar 13, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think he will ever, ever, ever comprehend that simple fact.
It's Ar aR; He's slow minded, but he's dense.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#218977 Mar 13, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
But you are making my point. A theist doesn't believe in all deities, nor does an atheist disbelieve in all deities.
I have no idea if deities exist somewhere in the universe. How could I or anyone know that? But I am sure that the Judeo-christian God does not exist. I'm also sure that Ganesh does not exist. Ditto Ra, Thor, Isis, Vishnu, and Quetzalcoatl.
There is a difference between believe exist and believe in and follow

1 Kings 16:31-33 is just one of many verses that talks about other gods people worshiped. In this case Baul

The Bible says the devil is the god of this world

Christians only follow one God

I'd assume most Christians are agnostic when it comes to the existence of other gods and also indifferent as it doesn't matter to them.

But how can you say you KNOW the Judeo-christian God does not exist? What is your proof?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218978 Mar 13, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
When you have people utilizing the English language and for instance, a Muslim mentions "god", it means Allah, or a Christian mentions "god" it means the Yahweh!/Jesus!/holy spirit! "trio", and if a Hindu speaks of "god", it means that they are speaking of Vishnu or one of the other deities in that pantheon.
The same holds true for each deity belief/religion etc..., each uses a generic word in every day language to represent a very non generic deity/entity/concept - that has a name unique to itself.
The word, "god", is generic, and no more distinctive or identifying as "deity".
So when you say "god" to an atheist, it means any of them. You'll have to name it, specifically.
Now you know.
Well what do you know, you're in luck!

I'm a Christian and I'm referring to God.

Clearly you know which one I'm talking about so stop the elementary questions.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218979 Mar 13, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh-huh.

So you're omniscient?

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#218980 Mar 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You always add do little to the conversation.
At least you're dependable on that.
You don't do it often?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#218981 Mar 13, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Again? Okay.
The Bergen museum disagrees with you.
They have some.
"The pelvic anatomy of whales makes a good example of how evolution has transformed body parts that lost their importance as the animals changed their lifestyle. In modern whales, the pelvic girdle is much smaller than in land living mammals, but there is a considerable variation among species. Bones from the Natural History Collections in Bergen were used by Professor O. Abel in Vienna when he in 1907 described the morphology of pelvic girdles and vestigial limbs of whales."
More here: http://bergenmuseum.uib.no/fagsider/osteologi...
Whales have a couple of bones that are shaped similar to pelvic bones.

Here is what a pelvis is.

"The pelvis is a ring of bones [not present in the whale] bounded by the coccyx [not present in the whale] and the hip bones [not present in the whale]. The pelvis protects abdominal organs such as the bladder [not in the whale], rectum [not in the whale] and, in females, the uterus [not in the whale]. The pelvis is made up of three hip bones [not present in the whale], which are joined by rigid sacroiliac joints [not present in the whale] to the sacrum [not present in the whale] at the back. The hip bones [not present in the whale] curve forward to join the pubic symphysis [not present in the whale] at the front. The symphysis pubis [not present in the whale] is a cartilaginous union [not present in the whale] between both sides of the pelvis anteriorly..Each innominate bone [not present in the whale] is made up of three fused bones: the ilium [not present in the whale], the ischium [not present in the whale], and the pubis [not present in the whale]. Together they form the acetabulum [not present in the whale], which is a cup-like depression ball and socket joint [not present in the whale]. The ilium [not present in the whale] is the uppermost and largest and consists of a wide, flattened plate with a long curved ridge (called the iliac crest) along its border [not present in the whale]. The pubis [not present in the whale] is the smallest pelvic bone. It extends forward from the ischium [not present in the whale] and around to the pubis symphysis [not present in the whale], where it joins to the other pubic bone [not present in the whale] by a tough, fibrous tissue [not present in the whale]. These three bones [not present in the whale] meet to form a cup-shaped cavity [not present in the whale] that make up the socket [not present in the whale] of the hip joint [not present in the whale]."

Except for lacking all of the features of a pelvis, the whale has it. The whale has some rudimentary bones people like to call a "pelvis", because when they call it that, it makes it seem more like they evolved from walking mammals.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218982 Mar 13, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>There is a difference between believe exist and believe in and follow
1 Kings 16:31-33 is just one of many verses that talks about other gods people worshiped. In this case Baul
The Bible says the devil is the god of this world
Christians only follow one God
I'd assume most Christians are agnostic when it comes to the existence of other gods and also indifferent as it doesn't matter to them.
But how can you say you KNOW the Judeo-christian God does not exist? What is your proof?
He's a Topix Atheist!, which means he's omniscient.

And he read it on evilbible.com so you know it's true....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218983 Mar 13, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't do it often?
Do
Wa
Ditty
Ditty
Dum
Ditty
Do

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218984 Mar 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
"The pelvis is a ring of bones [not present in the whale] bounded by the coccyx [not present in the whale] and the hip bones [not present in the whale]. The pelvis protects abdominal organs such as the bladder [not in the whale], rectum [not in the whale] and, in females, the uterus [not in the whale]. The pelvis is made up of three hip bones [not present in the whale], which are joined by rigid sacroiliac joints [not present in the whale] to the sacrum [not present in the whale] at the back. The hip bones [not present in the whale] curve forward to join the pubic symphysis [not present in the whale] at the front. The symphysis pubis [not present in the whale] is a cartilaginous union [not present in the whale] between both sides of the pelvis anteriorly..Each innominate bone [not present in the whale] is made up of three fused bones: the ilium [not present in the whale], the ischium [not present in the whale], and the pubis [not present in the whale]. Together they form the acetabulum [not present in the whale], which is a cup-like depression ball and socket joint [not present in the whale]. The ilium [not present in the whale] is the uppermost and largest and consists of a wide, flattened plate with a long curved ridge (called the iliac crest) along its border [not present in the whale]. The pubis [not present in the whale] is the smallest pelvic bone. It extends forward from the ischium [not present in the whale] and around to the pubis symphysis [not present in the whale], where it joins to the other pubic bone [not present in the whale] by a tough, fibrous tissue [not present in the whale]. These three bones [not present in the whale] meet to form a cup-shaped cavity [not present in the whale] that make up the socket [not present in the whale] of the hip joint [not present in the whale]."
Except for lacking all of the features of a pelvis, the whale has it. The whale has some rudimentary bones people like to call a "pelvis", because when they call it that, it makes it seem more like they evolved from walking mammals.
Oh no, wait. The whale has evolved, it's supposed vestigial 'pelvis' is no longer required.

You'd think it would've grew its gills back....

Location hidden

#218985 Mar 13, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
That's too vague, since "god" is a generic term.
That's a ruse to get someone to specify a particular religion so you can attack the precepts of the religion, and divert from debating the existence of God.

Not Buck's first rodeo, Scar Tissue.

Location hidden

#218986 Mar 13, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Where you always an atheist? I thought you might have been one of the few that was

But I have always found the predictable pattern of many that have left the faith to be interesting to say the least

Many ex-Christians did not leave the faith until well into adulthood. Some were born-again. Some preached. Some knew the Bible well as a believer. Almost all claim to have been true believers

Yet when they leave the faith..

1) They first go thru a period of doubt

2) Then go from believer to unbeliever

3) Then go from just unbeliever but someone who claims to know the faith is wrong

4) Then becomes someone who mocks people for believing things they claim on their face are so obviously untrue despite the fact that they were intelligent adults who knew their Bible and believed

I'm not saying people are lying but rather I think they have a need to reinforce the belief that leaving the faith was the right thing to do. Because it makes no sense to me that an intelligent, studied, adult believer could later be claiming to KNOW the God of Abraham does not exist. How did they get by simply no longer believing He does to KNOWING that He doesn't? While claiming its self-evident even though they apparently couldn't see it for 10-20-30-40-50 years of their life or more in some cases.

Location hidden

#218987 Mar 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
He's a Topix Atheist!, which means he's omniscient.
And he read it on evilbible.com so you know it's true....
LOL, there is actually a website called that. I thought you were joking

Well, sounds like a pretty unbiased site to me:)

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#218988 Mar 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
As expected.

Simple denial.

You do realize, do you not, that the whale's vestigial pelvis is exactly that?(Some snakes have 'em, too.)

Location hidden

#218989 Mar 13, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't speak for others, now can I, genius? I never said atheism was a lack of belief.
Can a rock be skeptical? Seriously? WTF?
Sorry. Just trying to stay abreast of the changing atheist landscape.

So a rock is not an atheist now, because it can't be skeptical?

But a rock can lack belief, so what does that make it? Agnostic?

How about a turd?

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#218991 Mar 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well what do you know, you're in luck!
I'm a Christian and I'm referring to God.
Clearly you know which one I'm talking about so stop the elementary questions.
The Yahweh! or the Jesus!, because those are two distinct deity concepts.

Which one is your "god"?

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#218992 Mar 13, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Where you always an atheist? I thought you might have been one of the few that was
But I have always found the predictable pattern of many that have left the faith to be interesting to say the least
Many ex-Christians did not leave the faith until well into adulthood. Some were born-again. Some preached. Some knew the Bible well as a believer. Almost all claim to have been true believers
Yet when they leave the faith..
1) They first go thru a period of doubt
2) Then go from believer to unbeliever
3) Then go from just unbeliever but someone who claims to know the faith is wrong
4) Then becomes someone who mocks people for believing things they claim on their face are so obviously untrue despite the fact that they were intelligent adults who knew their Bible and believed
I'm not saying people are lying but rather I think they have a need to reinforce the belief that leaving the faith was the right thing to do. Because it makes no sense to me that an intelligent, studied, adult believer could later be claiming to KNOW the God of Abraham does not exist. How did they get by simply no longer believing He does to KNOWING that He doesn't? While claiming its self-evident even though they apparently couldn't see it for 10-20-30-40-50 years of their life or more in some cases.
f I may interject - I disagree with your theory.

Granted people leave religion because it was "not fulfilling" to them, although, they may think that the morals are still valid. That is why you see so many adults do this act.

But I, like many I have come across, was in the fold at an early age, but stepped outside the box, and basically stayed their. IMO - many were probably like me, surveying and researching religions and see what their religion never told us, included, or even considered. To me, that would be disguising the truth with an ideology that is not chosen, but directed to.

Yes, Skom - I was about 14 when this occurred.

So no, your analogy of others is quite incorrect. I think it is more of a projection of your perception [Self] that seems to be doing this.

So-called "Christians" are false individuals believing what other men have dictated. That is a fact.
- half of Jesus' teachings
- another man's gospel ["Paul"]
- cannot show where "God" has dictated certain documents to be more holy than another
+ only men have done this

Again, I disagree with your reasoning of why others speak out against the lies and falsehoods of religion.

Maybe one day, you will come to the same realization - one that is simply:

"Move past the words and understand their meanings".

We live in a metaphoric world that we get to make. Being blinded in antiquity will not bring us into the future. Religion and the past has already shown us - that is NOT the path to take.

Cheers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 min renee 34,949
News The Atheist Delusion': Ray Comfort's Masterpiece 47 min thetruth 77
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr thetruth 20,068
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr ChristineM 3,703
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr thetruth 14,933
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 2 hr thetruth 5,605
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 2 hr thetruth 137
More from around the web