Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#218960 Mar 13, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
The Pope is an atheist toward every religion but his own.
You are an atheist toward every religion but your own too.
This is not correct.

There are other gods

Exodus 18:11
Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods.

But as Christians we are to have no other gods

Deuteronomy 5
6“I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
7“You shall have no other gods before me.

There are other gods. There are those that make false gods out of idols. It doesn't really matter the circumstances. Christians are to believe there is only one true God and it is His path we must follow.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#218961 Mar 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
An atheist can be skeptical, but that's not what being an atheist means.
Atheism doesn't require religion to exist. The greek "theos" refers to god, not religion.
If a goddamned cat walks in front of you on your way to take a steam with the boys, and it has a sign around its neck saying "God exists", and your mind immediately says, "No, I don't think so", you are a fucking atheist.
What was the goddamned cat's religion?
Are you making a distinction between a goddamned cat and a regular cat?

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#218962 Mar 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I heard there was some dude on Xbox Live with that handle.
It might've been the Topix Atheist! nonexistent but always bitched about god.
<quoted text>
There is only one god the Topix Atheist! always whines about.
God.
That's too vague, since "god" is a generic term.

Location hidden

#218964 Mar 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
An atheist can be skeptical, but that's not what being an atheist means.
Atheism doesn't require religion to exist. The greek "theos" refers to god, not religion.
If a goddamned cat walks in front of you on your way to take a steam with the boys, and it has a sign around its neck saying "God exists", and your mind immediately says, "No, I don't think so", you are a fucking atheist.
What was the goddamned cat's religion?
What kind of goddamned cat is it?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#218965 Mar 13, 2014
scaritual wrote:
That's too vague, since "god" is a generic term.
There is but one god that's called God and you damn well know it.

Take your semantic red herring to Feltcher's table.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#218966 Mar 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Of course you misunderstand. It seems you have to in order to keep your 'the church' illusion alive in your mind.

Being raised as a Christian is meaningless if you don't act like a Christian when you grow up. Jus as being raised an atheist means nothing if you join a religion when you grow up. The fact that Stalin had religious parents and was raised in a Catholic home is obviously meaningless, as he fought to have all churches under his pier destroyed or shut down and all religions under his power quelled.

I think you would do the same, given the authority.

The potent moral force of Christianity is knowing that there's a higher power that will judge you for your actions.
And then behaving like there's not.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218967 Mar 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no theists. Everyone is an atheist. According to Wilde rice.
We have fences to mend with our brethren atheists, Red. Better get started.
This viewpoint of Wilde Rice is so hot for ridicule, I could live on it for the next year here.
Wilder said that he's sure God doesn't exist.

He's "sure" of it.

ScarScar even agreed with him.

But Wilde refutes his own words, saying this:

"There is nothing at all wrong with saying that we don't know something yet. It's far better to be honest than to make up stories and pretend they are the truth when they aren't. That's one of the biggest problems with religion. It pretends to have all the answers"

Atheism has wrecked the poor wretch's mind....

He preaches that it's better to be honest and vilifies religion, saying that religion claims to have all the answers and then says he's "sure" God doesn't exist.

What a load of orangutan shit.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#218968 Mar 13, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>Yes it is known that no cause is required. That does not mean that there was no cause, this is an unknown. It does mean that in quantum physics there is no cause required.

Michio Kaku does not contradict me, much of his work considers before the BB event. He does give possible cause but he does not impose the need for a cause.

The reason the Higgs boson is called the god particle because one physicist stuck his foot in his mouth while making a joke. The term is universally disliked among scientist but loved among godbots.

Because one (or more) theory(s) assumes does not make it fact that time existed or not or that a cause was required.
The Big Bang is also a name that was coined pretty much by the press. Cosmologists hated the term.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#218969 Mar 13, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong. Go back and review. Take notes. Am not here to coddle intellectual cripples.
No.

You're here to be one.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#218970 Mar 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>It's a devastating rebuttal, Counselor.

The "all but one god" argument is pure silliness, and any good Judge would shoot it down.

Think of the infinite donut. What is the difference in one infinite donut and a dozen?

No difference. Takes the same amount of flour, same amount of time to eat it.
So...Thor it is then.

Location hidden

#218971 Mar 13, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
And how would atheism exist if religion did not?
What was the name f the religion of Native American tribes such as the Iroquois who believed in the "Great Spirit" (obviously god to them) but felt trying to define a deity was beyond their ability

The idea of a greater power has existed as far back as anyone knows. All over the world, through time, many people have come to the conclusion that there is a higher power. Obviously most religions are based on this concept but not every belief in a god turned into a religion

Atheists reject the idea of a higher power, especially one connected to humanity

If I'm wrong on that, then this could lead to some interesting questions

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#218972 Mar 13, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>That's too vague, since "god" is a generic term.
I don't think he will ever, ever, ever comprehend that simple fact.

Location hidden

#218973 Mar 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There is but one god that's called God and you damn well know it.
Take your semantic red herring to Feltcher's table.
When you have people utilizing the English language and for instance, a Muslim mentions "god", it means Allah, or a Christian mentions "god" it means the Yahweh!/Jesus!/holy spirit! "trio", and if a Hindu speaks of "god", it means that they are speaking of Vishnu or one of the other deities in that pantheon.

The same holds true for each deity belief/religion etc..., each uses a generic word in every day language to represent a very non generic deity/entity/concept - that has a name unique to itself.

The word, "god", is generic, and no more distinctive or identifying as "deity".

So when you say "god" to an atheist, it means any of them. You'll have to name it, specifically.

Now you know.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218974 Mar 13, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
And then behaving like there's not.
You always add do little to the conversation.

At least you're dependable on that.

Location hidden

#218975 Mar 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Wilder said that he's sure God doesn't exist.
He's "sure" of it.
ScarScar even agreed with him.
Well, yeah, the deity described in the bible is an impossibility.

Location hidden

#218976 Mar 13, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think he will ever, ever, ever comprehend that simple fact.
It's Ar aR; He's slow minded, but he's dense.

Location hidden

#218977 Mar 13, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
But you are making my point. A theist doesn't believe in all deities, nor does an atheist disbelieve in all deities.
I have no idea if deities exist somewhere in the universe. How could I or anyone know that? But I am sure that the Judeo-christian God does not exist. I'm also sure that Ganesh does not exist. Ditto Ra, Thor, Isis, Vishnu, and Quetzalcoatl.
There is a difference between believe exist and believe in and follow

1 Kings 16:31-33 is just one of many verses that talks about other gods people worshiped. In this case Baul

The Bible says the devil is the god of this world

Christians only follow one God

I'd assume most Christians are agnostic when it comes to the existence of other gods and also indifferent as it doesn't matter to them.

But how can you say you KNOW the Judeo-christian God does not exist? What is your proof?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218978 Mar 13, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
When you have people utilizing the English language and for instance, a Muslim mentions "god", it means Allah, or a Christian mentions "god" it means the Yahweh!/Jesus!/holy spirit! "trio", and if a Hindu speaks of "god", it means that they are speaking of Vishnu or one of the other deities in that pantheon.
The same holds true for each deity belief/religion etc..., each uses a generic word in every day language to represent a very non generic deity/entity/concept - that has a name unique to itself.
The word, "god", is generic, and no more distinctive or identifying as "deity".
So when you say "god" to an atheist, it means any of them. You'll have to name it, specifically.
Now you know.
Well what do you know, you're in luck!

I'm a Christian and I'm referring to God.

Clearly you know which one I'm talking about so stop the elementary questions.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218979 Mar 13, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, yeah, the deity described in the bible is an impossibility.
Uh-huh.

So you're omniscient?

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#218980 Mar 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You always add do little to the conversation.
At least you're dependable on that.
You don't do it often?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 6 hr Frindly 3,414
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 7 hr Frindly 84,087
News BILL-BORED: Get Ready For Atheists' Annual Use ... Fri Eagle 12 - 9
News Scientist Richard Dawkins weighs in on Malaysia... Dec 14 Eagle 12 - 6
High School Atheism Dec 14 blacklagoon 3 41
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Dec 13 Eagle 12 - 4,965
Where have all the Atheists gone? (Apr '17) Dec 13 Eagle 12 - 132
More from around the web