Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Religion kills”

Since: Jun 13

Horse Trailer

#218486 Mar 11, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Man is certainly the intelligent designer of religion.
You could say we made gods in our own image.
:-)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#218487 Mar 11, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
Hey Ians! I owe you an assist buddy I was in a mixed martial art forum where one of the fighters bashed religion so it got a debate going between the Christians and the atheists on the site that ended up getting into abiogenesis, evolution, and adaptation. Well you guys are here are definitely on the high end of the curve because just the little I learned from you gave me not only enough information to hold my own but even gave me a few opportunities to call shenanigans when they tried to pull a few fast ones figuring I wouldn't know otherwise. And I was even able to credit learning what I did from atheists which allowed me to present myself as someone willing to look at a range of information and not simply dismiss it because of which side it came from. All the exchanges but one ended very cordially and the one dude that it didn't was talking out of his ass so bad that nobody on his side even tried to back what he was saying I was quite pleased with myself! LOL But in all seriousness, I hadn't realized how much I picked up from you guys over the last year or so. I'd still be a novice over here but I'm not in bad shape in some circles anyway. I am appreciative that I have been able to expand my knowledge base from exchanges on here Hope all has been well (T) Peace
Thanks for that feedback and for your kind words. And yes, by all means, keep the unbelievers honest and on their toes. And if I can help you with that, I'd be glad to. Feel free to share anything you like - by PM if you prefer - and where possible, I'll be glad to help you identify misinformation or logical errors in their arguments, and to improve your own wherever I can. Everybody benefits from knowing more and knowing it properly.

“Religion kills”

Horse Trailer

#218488 Mar 11, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
The whole Bible says you can own a slave, because it never says you can't. The Bible addresses the issue of slavery several times, in the OT and NT, but never once says that slavery is immoral.
Don't covet your neighbor's wife. But his daughter? See how much he'll take for her.
Good one!

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#218489 Mar 11, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. or course owning people is just fine ..
.. if a member of the military, you are property of the United States Government ..
.. didn't you know that ??..
I would court martial Brother Marine aka lightbeamrider, sentence him to 10 years in the brig, lower his rank to pfc, and give him a dishonorable discharge and place him in the Redneck's garage.

Shooting him at dawn is too harsh, and in any case I don't believe in capital punishment.

I'll bet he does, though, the good Christian that he is.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#218491 Mar 11, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
Argument from ignorance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =NSJElZwEI8oXX
Thanks. What a superstar he is.

"Psychologists know all about it. It may relate to do our burning need to have to know stuff because were uncomfortable steeped in ignorance"

Regarding people assuming that flashing lights in the sky represent an alien visitation, allow me to share some terms that I've recently become familiar with after watching a series of videos on the psychology of belief, some or all of which may apply here:

[1] Need for closure - psychological term that describe an individual's desire for a firm answer to a question and an aversion toward ambiguity. http://www.youtube.com/watch...

[2] Belief perseverance - the tendency to cling to ideas even when confronted with evidence to the contrary. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-belief-persev...

[3] Psychological attribution - the tendency to assign reasons and infer the causes of events or behaviors. http://psychology.about.com/od/socialpsycholo...

[4] Agenticity - the belief that things are controlled by a thinking and deciding mind, a type of anthropomophization. http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#218492 Mar 11, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would court martial Brother Marine aka lightbeamrider, sentence him to 10 years in the brig, lower his rank to pfc, and give him a dishonorable discharge and place him in the Redneck's garage.
Shooting him at dawn is too harsh, and in any case I don't believe in capital punishment.
I'll bet he does, though, the good Christian that he is.
Putting him in Ar aR's garage is a little harsh, don't you think?

“Religion kills”

Horse Trailer

#218493 Mar 11, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Priests are all gay? I don't know about that, many like little girls as well.
Kudos for being aware of the sickness that courses through the bowels of your church.
How do U get a nun pregnant?
A: Dress her up as an altar boy.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#218494 Mar 11, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. or course owning people is just fine ..
.. if a member of the military, you are property of the United States Government ..
.. didn't you know that ??..
100% correct and that is exactly what they tell you. Or at least they used to. Given human history, and even up to the present, i just don't understand all this contrived outrage over ownership of people if indeed there is no God. Don't these atheists know when they express outrage over ownership of people by other people they are essentially denying their atheism and, for all practical purposes, arguing for Theism?

Location hidden

#218495 Mar 11, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Putting him in Ar aR's garage is a little harsh, don't you think?
Have you read your own link yet? The one for Jewish teens? About slavery?

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#218496 Mar 11, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Have you read your own link yet? The one for Jewish teens? About slavery?
That was drawn from two sources. I had hoped the import would be understood by you and other Christians even though it was written for teens.

I was mistaken.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#218497 Mar 11, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Agreed. Actually atheism explains nothing.
Nor is it supposed to.

Glad to see you're finally catching on.

Location hidden

#218498 Mar 11, 2014
scaritual wrote:
That was drawn from two sources. I had hoped the import would be understood by you and other Christians even though it was written for teens.
I was mistaken.
Yeah two sources rammed together and what are we not understanding? You need more than vague accusations. Could you be specific or is the accusation equal conviction? C'mon scaritual, can't you do any better? Besides that you did not answer my question. Did you actually read the link? I did. It was quit good. Provided context. That is why I don't think you read the link. At this point it sounds like you are trying to save face.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#218499 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Here we are, taking about Jesus' message, 2,000 years later, on the other side of the world.

I'd say His communications plan worked pretty well...
Yeah, but look at how bad people like you mangle the message.

Location hidden

#218500 Mar 11, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Nor is it supposed to.
Glad to see you're finally catching on.
Well if atheism does not explain anything what good is it? What practical value does it have? The same practical value as tits on a tomcat?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#218501 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>The Japanese people have heard Jesus' message, too.

I don't believe in any mythology, whatever are you talking about?
Christianity.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#218502 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>You went there...

The Bible does not tell anyone that they should (or need to) own slaves.

Christianity tells us that all men are equal under God, this is why so many Christians gave their lives in support of abolishing slavery.
Why did so many fight against abolishing it?

“The..”

Since: Dec 12

"..who whating how with huh?"

#218503 Mar 11, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Putting him in Ar aR's garage is a little harsh, don't you think?
He could play with ar ar's rooster as well.

Location hidden

#218504 Mar 11, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>People often take the "slaves obey your master" verse out of context a lot too. It goes on to acknowledge unfair treatment and says when they are victimized to such that instead of reacting with violence they should turn their suffering over to God
Just as believers are taught to turn the other cheek.
There is a passage that talks about taking slaves when battling enemies of God in a particular conflict but just like many things in the OT those are not part of the new covenant.
Love God
Love your neighbor as yourself
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
Love your enemy, neighbor, and brother
Those that have a problem with Mosaic law or things that happened in the OT really have an issue with Judaism if anything. While obviously part of our Bible, modern Christians are under different rules. If someone has an issue with Christianity today then they should show what in the New Testament they have a problem with. And any believer not abiding by it has to answer why not but that falls on them, not the faith
Agreed. So many negative judge its attached to this post utilizing the judge it would have been pointless.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#218505 Mar 11, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah two sources rammed together and what are we not understanding? You need more than vague accusations. Could you be specific or is the accusation equal conviction? C'mon scaritual, can't you do any better? Besides that you did not answer my question. Did you actually read the link? I did. It was quit good. Provided context. That is why I don't think you read the link. At this point it sounds like you are trying to save face.
We can beat this horse to death. I'll supply something from another area of the bible, in which Moses is following the commands of the deity, specifically from the deity.

25) Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying,26)ďYou and Eleazar the priest and the heads of the fathersí households of the congregation take a count of the booty that was captured, both of man and of animal;27) and divide the booty between the warriors who went out to battle and all the congregation.28)ďLevy a tax for the LORD from the men of war who went out to battle, one in five hundred of the persons and of the cattle and of the donkeys and of the sheep;29) take it from their half and give it to Eleazar the priest, as an offering to the LORD.30)ďFrom the sons of Israel?s half, you shall take one drawn out of every fifty of the persons, of the cattle, of the donkeys and of the sheep, from all the animals, and give them to the Levites who keep charge of the tabernacle of the LORD.Ē

^^The deity commands^^. Continuing.

31) Moses and Eleazar the priest did just as the LORD had commanded Moses. 32) Now the booty that remained from the spoil which the men of war had plundered was 675,000 sheep,
33) and 72,000 cattle,
34) and 61,000 donkeys,
35) and of human beings, of the women who had not known man intimately, all the persons were 32,000.
36) The half, the portion of those who went out to war, was as follows: the number of sheep was 337,500,
37) and the LORDíS levy of the sheep was 675;
38) and the cattle were 36,000, from which the LORDíS levy was 72;
39) and the donkeys were 30,500, from which the LORDíS levy was 61;
40) and the human beings were 16,000, from whom the LORDíS levy was 32 persons.

Above, they did as commanded, and below, complete the commands in full.

41) Moses gave the levy which was the LORDíS offering to Eleazar the priest, just as the LORD had commanded Moses. Numbers 31:25-41(NAS)
All verses taken from BibleWorks 9.0, not Google. It's a handy software to have. I used the NAS translation, but there are around 100+ to choose from.

A screenshot, just so you won't squall about it.
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca ...

Anyway.... All of the captives were slaves, however...

Moses gave the 'Lords" portion(32 persons), as directed by the deity, to Eleazar(the priest).

What do you suppose those people were used for?

Slaves.

"The main source of non-Hebrew slaves were prisoners of war."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judaism_and_slav ...

(I used "the Google" to supply that link above)

That's a fine deity you've got there, huh.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#218506 Mar 11, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Regarding people assuming that flashing lights in the sky represent an alien visitation,
I assumed no such thing. Nor did I limit the incident as you do to cover your discomfort. Nor am I afraid to hold the idea, as you are.

I simply asked you to explain the numerous aspects and the consequence.

You could not. And yet you made a decisive rejection.

Ah, the 'rational atheist' oxymoron.

Smirk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 10 min FSM 4,104
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 27 min yup 105
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Thinking 472
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Richardfs 22,242
Stump a theist with 2 questions 2 hr Thinking 62
Introducing The Universal Religion (Feb '14) 11 hr Patrick 762
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 15 hr Thinking 77
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE