Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258490 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#218661 Mar 12, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome to atheism. I recommend you apply it consistently.
Amen.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#218662 Mar 12, 2014
A happy person spends this much time on topix? Really? Hm.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#218663 Mar 12, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
A happy person spends this much time on topix? Really? Hm.
Said the surgeon with 23, 000 posts.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#218664 Mar 12, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
But you dew little.
That's it, it's the Lake of Fire fur you.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218665 Mar 12, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
NO, Gods NON-existence is a fact until proven otherwise.
Over 2000 years and still no proof.
There has never been proof for ANY god conceived by man....as they ALL are.
Oh.

Ok then, the Big Bang's nonexistence is a fact otherwise.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218666 Mar 12, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking honestly now, I don't believe you're happy at all.
I see you as angry and frustrated.
You get off on controlling others, but that's not happiness.
Thanks, Dr Ruth.

What's my penance?

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#218667 Mar 12, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>Said the surgeon with 23, 000 posts.
Translation: "I can't count."

Haven't seen you in awhile, it was a nice time.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218668 Mar 12, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
For 1,500 years people in Japan were born and died without any knowledge of Jesus. Didn't God care about them? I thought God cared about belief. Does God only care about belief by certain people living in certain places at certain times? Why wasn't the life and death of Jesus not universally told to all peoples of the Earth while it was happening? Wasn't God capable of that?
God is capable of doing anything within His nature.

1500 years is a blink of an eye to God. If it takes another 20,000 years for all of mankind to believe in Him, then so be it. What's the rush?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218669 Mar 12, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome to atheism. I recommend you apply it consistently.
I believe in a god. I believe that God is real. That's negates the possibility of me being an atheist.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#218670 Mar 12, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's it, it's the Lake of Fire fur you.
Good machine.

Great service.

If you need one, I *here* that the one to get.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#218671 Mar 12, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not my argument. It's the logical extension of materialist philosophy.
If our biological body and mind is a product of material evolution, as you say it is, slave-holding is just as moral as anti-slavery. As a survival mechanism, it is consistent with Darwin's paradigm, and actually more consistent than the anti-slavery. The evolutionary mechanism would have worked superbly if not for those moralizing religious people insisting on absolute principles.
It's the same old tale - religious people interfering with science.
This is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever seen you make, Buck.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#218672 Mar 12, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
God is capable of doing anything within His nature.
1500 years is a blink of an eye to God. If it takes another 20,000 years for all of mankind to believe in Him, then so be it. What's the rush?
Do you really not understand what I'm saying? What happened to all the people who lived and died post-Jesus who never heard about him?

And moreover, why is belief so important to this deity in the first place?

San Francisco

#218673 Mar 12, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in a god. I believe that God is real. That's negates the possibility of me being an atheist.
But you don't believe in every god, and therefore you are an atheist in all cases but one, correct?
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#218674 Mar 12, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Dr Ruth.
What's my penance?
For your penance, you must go to a local gay bar and dance on a table...

San Francisco

#218675 Mar 12, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to mention being demonstrably untrue.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#218676 Mar 12, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not correct, It is know that no cause is required and yet you still ramble on that it is. What is so hard for you to understand? In quantum science no cause is required. You cannot argue with that because it is fact.
Yes cause required time to become effect. The nature of time dictates this, I really would love to see the measurements of your claimed examples of simultaneous cause and effect.
Your picture of time may be a mental construct, and still times passed for billions of years before there was mentality in which to place observations.
I am discussing the arrow of time, as you would be if you knew what you were talking about.
How can you claim schooling when all you have is ignorance of the subject you claim to be schooling. A grand case of Dunning Kruger syndrome if ever I saw one.
No, it is not known that no cause is required.

That's why physicists search for it.

One theory is the Higgs particle was the cause.

Watch as Miichio Kaku contradicts you. Notice the term "cause", and notice the phrase "before the Big Bang".

The Spark That Caused the Big Bang
"There's a reason the newly discovered Higgs boson is called the 'God particle.' It started it all."

By MICHIO KAKU
July 5, 2012 6:57 p.m. ET

"To put it another way, what was the match that set off the initial cosmic explosion? What put the "bang" in the Big Bang? In quantum physics, it was a Higgs-like particle that sparked the cosmic explosion".

"The latest thinking is that, just before the Big Bang, the universe was very tiny but also perfectly symmetrical. All the masses of the particles were the same, i.e. zero. But the presence of Higgs-like particles shattered this perfect symmetry. Once the symmetry was broken, the particles were free to assume the various masses we see today."

You are also wrong about quantum science. Cause is required there, same as all other science, just like Kaku illustrates.

Location hidden

#218677 Mar 12, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not my argument.

It's the materialist argument, with its logic extended.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#218678 Mar 12, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
For 1,500 years people in Japan were born and died without any knowledge of Jesus. Didn't God care about them? I thought God cared about belief. Does God only care about belief by certain people living in certain places at certain times? Why wasn't the life and death of Jesus not universally told to all peoples of the Earth while it was happening? Wasn't God capable of that?
Japanese were smart to remain isolated from the rest of the world,developing their own advanced society where honor is the most important thing to survival and happy life

http://youtu.be/XljWEedsoBY

http://youtu.be/zSH4KWg-dXY
OG Kush

Jacksonville, FL

#218679 Mar 12, 2014
wilderide wrote:
So I'm curious: to those who insist that atheism is a belief, please describe what that belief necessarily entails. I'm an atheist, so I'm interested to see what I therefore must believe as a consequence.
I am Non-religious.

The position of the atheist is that the theist has not successfully met his or her burden of proof.

Proof, with regard to any gods, rests solely with those claiming their existence.

Focused on faith, the claim typically centers on a fundamental misunderstanding of the meaning of atheism.

They believe that atheism means absolute certainty that no gods exist. Thus, they reason that to be absolutely certain without proof is a type of religion or faith.

Atheism is not about certainty at all; it is about doubt.

Location hidden

#218680 Mar 12, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
But you don't believe in every god, and therefore you are an atheist in all cases but one, correct?
This is the same stupid argument borrowed from Richard Dawkins, which he stole from someone previously.

The fallacy of it is the idea of "all but one god".

This is foisted as a minor exception. But the exception is eternal and everlasting, if true.

One god is not quantitatively different than many gods. So there is no point.

Only stupid people employ this tactic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 33 min Dogen 61,390
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Aura Mytha 28,322
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 14 hr Dogen 2,687
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Fri IB DaMann 5,970
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Mar 22 Eagle 12 452
Deconversion Mar 20 Eagle 12 138
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) Mar 18 Eagle 12 2,043
More from around the web