Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258475 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#218404 Mar 11, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>LOL
I knew it wouldn't take long for your obsession with me!
You need a girlfriend
Women get me in trouble with my wife, but obsessed with you?
Hardly, you're no more than a passing curiosity, the doggy in the window.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#218405 Mar 11, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Instead of scarves you ought to move to tablecloths
At least that way you can bring something to the table
:)
LOL

Clever.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#218406 Mar 11, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, I wasn't talking about Skom. It was either Bucky or RR.
damn it...really?

Cause the post you responded to would have made it about me

Well I can't unring the bell since I responded to it but ill apologize then and will disregard any responses to that post

Location hidden

#218407 Mar 11, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Clever.
heh

I was pretty happy with that myself!

It only took me two years to think of it! LOL

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#218408 Mar 11, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> The Bible not saying Christians should own slaves is a meaningless to you. Your own link stated Jews did not have to own slaves so that must be meaningless to you also even if it is your link
Job 31:13.''If I have despised the claim of my male or female slaves when they filed a complaint against me,
14. What then could I do when God arises? And when He calls me to account, what will I answer Him.''
----------
Slaves could complain against their masters and masters were accountable to God for their treatment of their slaves. But I suppose all that is meaningless detail to you also.
You folks are so phony it is sickening. All the slavery going on in the world today and you only whine and bitch about slavery 3000 years ago in a far away place.
lightbeanrider gibberish translated: <lightbeanrider> ".....but, but, my deity said slaves had some rights! THAT is important! See how good my deity is!?..."

Location hidden

#218409 Mar 11, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Women get me in trouble with my wife, but obsessed with you?
Hardly, you're no more than a passing curiosity, the doggy in the window.
If initiating every exchange for 2 years and almost never not posting to me whenever I post is a passing curiosity then they probably have an extra mailman that comes to your house just to deliver the restraining orders:)

Boom!

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#218410 Mar 11, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>damn it...really?
Cause the post you responded to would have made it about me
Well I can't unring the bell since I responded to it but ill apologize then and will disregard any responses to that post
I may have responded to the wrong post. If so, I apologize.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#218411 Mar 11, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Sincethe laws are no longer in effect...
"A difference that makes nae difference is nae difference at a'" -Old Scottish proverb
Lol. In practice I agree. But then my question to RR is: there must be a difference since Jesus was quoted as specifically making a distinction. So what's the distinction?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#218412 Mar 11, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>heh
I was pretty happy with that myself!
It only took me two years to think of it! LOL
Two years?! C'mon!

It's called a "quip", not a "slooowpe".

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#218413 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya but He didn't say that.
And no purfesir of University gets to rewrite it.
Yes he did say it in Matthew

5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. 18: Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven, but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall he be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 10 :1 And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.
5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying ,Go NOT into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritians enter ye not? 6: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Jesus was a Jew and meant only to preach to the Jews. And to uphold Jewish law.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218414 Mar 11, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I half suspect he has kind of sold himself on that idea because he knows there would be no practical way to identify and isolate the individual churches he would consider as 'guilty' and is willing to sacrifice the good ones to get the bad ones as part of an overall good to his way of thinking. I can understand the temptation but I think for a goal to be truly noble it can't take those shortcuts. And including pedophilia is simply going too far. If he wants to attack ideas not people then do just that. Attack the idea that certain things people excuse in the name of religion is bad and those specific subjects. Don't just cast a wide net. It isn't fair and I don't even think it'd be as effective. People would embrace change when a bad way if thinking is challenged. Not nearly so much with going after everything an entire group because some people in it think that way
True dat..

Um...

...yo

San Francisco

#218415 Mar 11, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> That was more related to that time. Non Hebrew could marry or convert both meaning an elevation in status. Slavery is obsolete and impractical since it causes more problems for the culture as a whole. In other words it is a burden. Slaves had to be fed, housed, children had to be cared for. There was always the possibility of revolt. That meant a large army was required.
So if slavery could be made more efficient then it would be moral again?

Wow.
Your question about Jesus and the law is valid and I think I will see if anybody else wants to take a stab at it. Even though the answers or responses would not convince anyone here.
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...
Thanks. Again, if Jesus went out of his way to make a distinction, then there must be one, right?

Personally, my interpretation is that Jesus was presenting himself as the Jewish messiah, and that is what he is referencing. But then you have the problem that he did not fulfill the Hebrew prophesies of who the Jewish messiah was supposed to be and what he was supposed to do. Which, of course, is why there are still Jews.

Location hidden

#218416 Mar 11, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I may have responded to the wrong post. If so, I apologize.
no prob...same here. I was like "damn guess he just still really wants to go at me" especially after being gone awhile and got defensive. Water under the bridge

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#218417 Mar 11, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post, and thanks. I appreciate all of your research. I have saved this intact in my records, now about 378 pages of quotes, lists, and links.
Always a pleasure and use as you wish.

San Francisco

#218418 Mar 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I find 'rational atheist' oxymorons very consistent.
You want to pin the ancient dictates of another faith on Christians.
You ignore the Letter to Philemon that expresses the Christian position on slavery.
But more so, you ignore the fact that in recent history, Christianity has stood, virtually alone, in the fight against slavery. First in regards to African Americans, and now in regards to the sex trade.
Even more telling? Many of you 'rational atheist' oxymorons have visited the boys of Brazil or the girls of Thailand.
Smile.
And yet you ignore the much larger and more obvious discrepancy between the Old and New Testaments.

As for Christians being at the forefront of the fight against slavery, LOL! Pick up a history book sometime. Some Christians certainly did do that, but they were very much in the minority, and did so against what the Bible clearly says. No doubt in the near future Christian revisionists will also say they were at the forefront of gay rights. Puh-lease.

PS - I'm looking for the Letter to Philemon in the canon of the Bible and I can't seem to find it. What version are you using?

San Francisco

#218419 Mar 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>

I have a question for you;
Is an inherently harmful, unhealthy and demeaning behavior an act of love?
Smile.
I have a question for you: do you know the difference between your opinions and objective facts?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218420 Mar 11, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
If Jesus said such a thing it was more likely (as a Jew) that he said "I come to obey the Torah, not abolish it." or "I have come to fulfill the Prophets, not to abolish the Torah."
sweets2360 wrote:
Yes he did say it in Matthew
No, Jesus didn't say that.

Lookie here, you've already posted the Scripture for me:
5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. 18: Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven, but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall he be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 10 :1 And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.
5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying ,Go NOT into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritians enter ye not? 6: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
Thanks for your unwitting help.
Jesus was a Jew and meant only to preach to the Jews. And to uphold Jewish law.
Right. Is that why Jesus healed the Canaanite woman's daughter in Matthew 15? Is that why Jesus never forbade preaching to Gentiles?

Jesus' ministry was to the whole world, not just the Israelites.
OG Kush

Jacksonville, FL

#218421 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
RR is not upset. Why would he be?
To what scholars do you refer?
I see that you receive a large number of insults sometimes quite unfairly. That's why.

I'm certain if you visit that website the imagined penalty will be severe.

There has to be a sin for reading that site.

The scholar clip was cut and pasted from the opening page.

You asked the question I provided the answer.
It wasn't my question nor was it my answer but it answered your question did it not?

San Francisco

#218422 Mar 11, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
The Midrash and its function. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midrash , also http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Catholic_Encycl... (1913)/Midrashim
More about slavery in the OT from Judaic Midrash halakha, "VE-eileh ha-mishpatim" (AND these are the statutes). It was a deeper explanation kept by the Rabbi's concerning OT text. An exegesis of the Torah.
Quoting: "Your slaves and maidservants that you shall possess from the nations that surround you, from them you may purchase slaves and maidservants. Also, from the children of the sojourners who reside with you from them you may purchase [slaves], and from their families that live among you that were born in your land.[All these] shall be your permanent possession. You shall will them as inheritance to your children after you as hereditary property; you shall keep them in servitude permanently. However regarding your bretheren, Bnei Yisroel, man over his brother, you must not rule over him to crush him." - Vayikra 25:39-46
Commentary: A non-Jewish servant, however, can be passed on to descendants through inheritance! The possession of a non-Jewish slave is eternal. But note another difference: A Jewish slave may not be subjected to “hard labor”(b’farech); a non-Jewish slave has no such condition. Seemingly, a non-Jewish slave may be worked to the bone with the most menial of work.
As mentioned above, a Jewish servant must be released after six years of work. Not so, however, is the case for a non-Jewish slave.
How are we supposed to understand that they are kept forever? How are we to allow hard labor for someone who was purchased like property? How can we understand the purchase of another human being at all?
The institution of slavery represents a blurring of the line dividing human personhood from property. This blurring is reflected clearly in some of the laws recorded in the parasha (Note that I am treating the institution of slavery in toto, without reference to the important distinction between Hebrew slaves and Canaanite slaves, as in Vayikra 25:39-46):
(a) When a master strikes his slave and the slave subsequently dies (after 24-48 hours), the master is exempt from punishment "because he is his property" (21:21-22. Rashbam: "and the law allows him to strike him in order to chastise him.")
(b) An ox that gores and kills a slave subjects its owner only to a 30-shekel fine and not to "ransom money" designed to redeem the master from a death penalty (21:29-32).
(c) The master may (sometimes) compel his slave to cohabit with a slave-girl and the children will belong to the master (21:4). http://www.yu.edu/ http://www.slideshare.net/steiny100/jewish-sl...
"the children will belong to the master"
I'm disgusted, are you?
Biblical verse that relate directly to the Midrash exegesis.
Genesis 17:13, Genesis 17:27, Exodus 20:10, Exodus 21:1-4, Exodus 21:7, Exodus 21:8, Exodus 21:16, Exodus 21:20-21, Exodus 21:26-27, Leviticus 19:20-22, Leviticus 25:39, Leviticus 25:44-46, Leviticus 25:48-53, Numbers 31:28-47, Deuteronomy 15:12-18, Deuteronomy 21:10-14, Deuteronomy 20:14, Deuteronomy 23:15-16, 2 Samuel 9:10
The NT didn't abolish slavery or change anything stated in the OT, it only stated that all people, slave, Gentile etc., were open to following the NT/OT - religion. Mark 14:66, 1 Corinthians 12:13, Colossians 3:11,1 Timothy 6:1-2
There are more verses in the OT/NT that speak of slavery in the sense that it was natural, and condoned by the deity.
Thank you. Very informative, and I agree with your summation:

"How are we supposed to understand that they are kept forever? How are we to allow hard labor for someone who was purchased like property? How can we understand the purchase of another human being at all?"

That isn't moral, no matter how much time has elapsed nor how many people it applied to...or any other ridiculous rationalizing of it.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#218423 Mar 11, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
So if slavery could be made more efficient then it would be moral again?
Wow.
<quoted text>
Thanks. Again, if Jesus went out of his way to make a distinction, then there must be one, right?
Personally, my interpretation is that Jesus was presenting himself as the Jewish messiah, and that is what he is referencing. But then you have the problem that he did not fulfill the Hebrew prophesies of who the Jewish messiah was supposed to be and what he was supposed to do. Which, of course, is why there are still Jews.
Mussolini made the trains run on time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 27 min 15th Dalai Lama 76,872
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 41 min yehoshooah adam 4,304
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 4 hr John 712
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr John 32,165
hell is a real place. so.. ahtiesm is a faux li... 22 hr Ben Avraham 11
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Jul 18 John 4,952
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Jul 17 Eagle 12 - 6,123
More from around the web