Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#218316 Mar 11, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. unless you can prove your false allegations, no defense is required. That's your MO - defend, justify and protect false self ..
.. you don't like feeling powerless, do you? Guess what? You have no power over me, I am your intellectual, emotional and spiritual superior. Deal with it and quit trying to change focus. By now you should know this doesn't work with me and I'll never fulfill your expectations ..
.. now, tell me exactly what you meant when you wrote, "If you were in front of me, I'd teach you a lesson or two." What was the lesson if not the power of your fists ??..
.. you claim to be in a 12-Step program yet fail to understand the message behind powerlessness. My hat is off to you, you're extremely powerful. And, violent ..
You are flat out lying again

Not only I never said fists I never said if you were in front of me I would teach you a lesson or two. I told you exactly what I said which was they would learn the definition of payback

You are a fraud

And I could care less about having power over you. Just like I could care less if I had power over some gunk that got stuck to my shoe. You have shown yourself to an immoral person who continues to go out of their way to stalk, mock and ridicule someone that has been victimized. And you will use sexual reassignment to get a cheap laugh at their expense despite the show you put on about tolerance. I pity you but I don't want power over you. Why the hell would I? On top of everything else you are delusional about the role you think you play in my life which is none

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#218317 Mar 11, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>

My hat is off to you, you're extremely powerful. And, violent ..
Thanks. I am pleased you enjoyed last night as much as I did.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#218318 Mar 11, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>People often take the "slaves obey your master" verse out of context a lot too. It goes on to acknowledge unfair treatment and says when they are victimized to such that instead of reacting with violence they should turn their suffering over to God
Just as believers are taught to turn the other cheek.
There is a passage that talks about taking slaves when battling enemies of God in a particular conflict but just like many things in the OT those are not part of the new covenant.
Love God
Love your neighbor as yourself
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
Love your enemy, neighbor, and brother
Those that have a problem with Mosaic law or things that happened in the OT really have an issue with Judaism if anything. While obviously part of our Bible, modern Christians are under different rules. If someone has an issue with Christianity today then they should show what in the New Testament they have a problem with. And any believer not abiding by it has to answer why not but that falls on them, not the faith
Well, here's my take, Skom.

When the society in which the writers of the canon controlled their environment, stuff like Numbers 31 was produced.

When they were dominated by outside forces, such as Rome in the first and second centuries, God's punishment was not immediate; it would have to wait until the afterlife.

Hyades would cure all then.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#218319 Mar 11, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>heh
Personally find the whole thing kind of funny. It is like some are so anti faith that they won't even allow that both share some common words like "belief"
They can't prove God doesn't exist
However they believe He doesn't
Yet somehow refuse to use that word
If an atheist testifies in court as a witness is it now they only agree to answer questions because testify and witness are too closely associated with faith?
It seems a bit silly to me.
Oh ya. We've even had debates over the meanings of belief and faith because they're so afraid of using those words.

Location hidden

#218320 Mar 11, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. so, why are you unable to do that ??..
Why would a supposed lesbian mock someone for having gender reassignment?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218321 Mar 11, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Good rebuttal as always.
Stop staring at my ass.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218322 Mar 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Thanks, man.

I left the money on the dresser, did ya get it?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#218323 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I said the three types of Biblical laws are Ceremonial, Cultural and Moral. The OT slave laws would be the Cultural kind.
They're the immoral kind.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#218324 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Topix Atheist! studies don't count.
Who?

Me?

I'm not an atheist.

I'm an agnostic.

I'm pretty sure there's a study that says we're smarter than everyone.

OK. I made that up.

Fennario

#218325 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh? Reduce the complexity of a mousetrap, what do you have?
Still?

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Location hidden

#218326 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Inevitable?!? Says who?
First of all, those men chose the priesthood. They chose a life of celibacy to serve God.
Second, over. 98% of them remain celibate and do nothing even remotely close to pedophelia.
Nuns are the sane way, choosing a life of celibacy.
Those that choose pedophelia do so at their own accord, NOT by any situation created by the RCC.
Exactly

Those men were pedophiles long before joining the priesthood. Which in all likelihood they either infiltrated to hide in plain sight and have access to children or at one point hoped it would help them control their perversion but gave way to it anyway

For someone to suggest a group of pedophiles hiding within the church were created by the church is like saying a group of rapists in public office were created by the Constitution. If people come in somewhere and do the opposite that the place stands for, how can someone blame the ideology?

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#218327 Mar 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
With the multiple translations, it's impossible to know what "fulfill the law" means, if it was even uttered. the remnants of Jesus' followers he left behind believed Jewish law still had to be obeyed. Paul went out preaching something different. The "pillars" of the early Jesus movement went to his churches and tried to correct him. It just pissed him off. They said, well, let him go. He can't do much harm.
...famous last words.
.. hence, certain teachings of the historical Jesus were corrupted ??..

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#218328 Mar 11, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that's not it.
Jesus came and cleansed the faith of all the nasty stuff.
Fullfilled is what supposedly Jesus did, and we're in good shape as a result.
Good guy that Jesus.
So why do they bring up all the Jewish laws and prohibitions that Jesus allegedly removed ?

These people make no sense.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#218329 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The Scripture's pretty clear.
"Whoever steals a man and sells him, and anyone found in possession of him, shall be put to death."
You can't steal a free man. You can't posses a free man. That verse is talking about people being stolen and forced into slavery.
We were talking about slaves, not free men. Another Israelite. You keep changing what you think a slave is so you can win the argument. The bible condones slavery, indenture, but wont let you capture a neighbor and make a slave of him. We all agree on that part.

But you simply refuse to admit that there were bought and sold slaves, that were the property of the slave master. He could buy him, sell him, beat him, keep his children and kill him if necessary. All condoned by the bible.

Location hidden

#218330 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh ya. We've even had debates over the meanings of belief and faith because they're so afraid of using those words.
I remember the faith one about faith in science for believing it will eventually provide answers for things which there is currently none such as life forming from non-life

Even agreeing the faith was not spiritual in nature still wasn't enough

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#218331 Mar 11, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Who?
Me?
I'm not an atheist.
I'm an agnostic.
I'm pretty sure there's a study that says we're smarter than everyone.
OK. I made that up.
The only reason there's a Columbus Ohio is so Cleveland people have one city they can look down on.

Fennario

#218332 Mar 11, 2014
It's not a concept at all. Laws can't be fulfilled.just like apples can't be emancipated or educated. It's a category error. Only certain verbs can apply to laws or apples. Laws can be written, amended, obeyed, broken, or rescinded, for example. But most other verbs don't apply. Laws can't be squared, invested, broiled, vacuumed, elongated, hospitalized, or evaporated. Nor can they be fulfilled.
Jibba-jabba.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I like that last part. Made a lot of sense, more sense than the rest.
And yet another fine rebuttal from you.

Can we assume that when you belly up like this that you have no defense?

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#218333 Mar 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
.. who untied you? What did you do with my scarves? I have a weekend engagement, need them, please send via overnight delivery ..

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#218334 Mar 11, 2014
<quoted text>
It's not a concept at all. Laws can't be fulfilled.just like apples can't be emancipated or educated. It's a category error. Only certain verbs can apply to laws or apples. Laws can be written, amended, obeyed, broken, or rescinded, for example. But most other verbs don't apply. Laws can't be squared, invested, broiled, vacuumed, elongated, hospitalized, or evaporated. Nor can they be fulfilled.
Jibba-jabba.
If Jesus said such a thing it was more likely (as a Jew) that he said "I come to obey the Torah, not abolish it." or "I have come to fulfill the Prophets, not to abolish the Torah."

Location hidden

#218335 Mar 11, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, here's my take, Skom.
When the society in which the writers of the canon controlled their environment, stuff like Numbers 31 was produced.
When they were dominated by outside forces, such as Rome in the first and second centuries, God's punishment was not immediate; it would have to wait until the afterlife.
Hyades would cure all then.
i will be honest, I'm gonna need you to explain that to me

Obviously you are saying it went from immediate accountability to future accountability right?

Numbers is like one of the books I'm least familiar with so that's why I'm not fully getting the comparison.

And them are you saying even though Christians are under the NT that by delaying accountability it allows for more bad behavior than if we answered now?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 2 min ChristineM 11,391
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 min scientia potentia... 51,228
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 6 min scientia potentia... 24,626
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 33 min ChristineM 22,079
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... 1 hr Hedonist Heretic 184
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 1 hr Hedonist Heretic 1,632
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 3 hr scientia potentia... 457
More from around the web