Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258039 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#218295 Mar 11, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Naw.
I was just betting your dog and couch are smarter than you.
Because being atheists means they're smarter, right?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#218296 Mar 11, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
What you are describing is a social contract.
If you can call that slavery, you can call all employment slavery.
Where do you make a distinction between slavery and employment?
You can start by not imposing anachronistic assumptions into ancient cultures where slavery was the norm everywhere. According to Scar... link earlier ancient Israel re defined slavery.
The Bible condones all forms of slavery.
No it does not and since you claim it does then the burden of proof is on you. Foreign slaves who escaped to Israel were not to be returned to their foreign masters.
The kind of slavery that happened in the US happened all over the world for thousands of years prior.
Yeah.
The people that wrote the Bible were very familiar with that, and tell us through their writing that they had no moral objection against it as a practice.
Then why were foreign slaves allowed sanctuary in Israel? If they had no objections as you claim why not return foreign slaves to their foreign masters?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#218297 Mar 11, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes he does.
No, he doesn't. He is relying on Ken Miller's mistaken claim that the flagellum arose from the TTSS secretory system as an evolutionary precursor. This would not disprove flagellar IC, but Miller has a larger problem:

The best current molecular evidence points to the TTSS as evolving from the flagellum and not vice versa (Nguyen et al. 2000).

Ken Miller is 180 degrees off again.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218298 Mar 11, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Even with the definition they are using to claim atheism isn't a belief system they still fall into that category. Even if atheism was simply an absence of belief then on top of being atheist they are also anti-theist. And as anti-theists they have a belief system not only with its own social ideology they attribute to it but a distinct belief that God does not exist because of specific reasons. It goes well beyond simply an absence of belief. It's an assertive position that states God doesn't exist
It's called the "Topix Atheist! Lack of Belief" belief system.

I read it somewhere in the atheist handbook.

Location hidden

#218299 Mar 11, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not intended to be funny, nitwit.
Oh, I'm sorry. It's intended to be stupid.

Are you stupid, or you just like to sound stupid?

That was intended to be funny.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#218300 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because being atheists means they're smarter, right?
Well, according to studies, that's in their favor.

But I'm just betting they are.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#218301 Mar 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
~What you or I believe Jesus did is not the issue. I've already exposed the idiocy of your opinions about God numerous times.
~Childish word games. If I fulfill all the 'requirements' of a law, then I have fulfilled the law.
~However, you bring up an interesting distinction. A law that dictates repetitive actions, to be fulfilled over and over, and a law that fulfills a requirement in a single act.
~So when the Bible says Christ 'fulfilled the Law', what specific single requirement is it referring to?
~And when Paul writes, "The entire Law is fulfilled in this one commandment." What repetitive act is he referring to?
Or are once again these questions too difficult for a 'rational atheist' oxymoron to answer?
Smile.
You're talking nonsense.

The issue is that the phrase 'fulfilled the law' is meaningless, which is why neither you nor Riverside Redneck can provide a clear definition of what that means or how it is distinct from saying that a low is abolished, and why you would rather dance around with references to people and scriptures.

"If I fulfill all the 'requirements' of a law, then I have fulfilled the law." How does that pertain to laws like not to blaspheme (Ex. 22:27) and to not suffer witches to live (Ex. 22:17)? It doesn't.

This the kind of thing that faith and faith based thinking make one do. You spin these ridiculous apologetics. It should serve as a red flag to people thinking about abandoning skepticism and embarking on a faith based life.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#218302 Mar 11, 2014
scaritual wrote:
Do you ever read your links or do you just ram them together and throw them up there?

http://www.slideshare.net/steiny100/jewish-sl...

Its for Jewish teens. 9 pages. Informative and not all that difficult. You and Quaalude Bob should not have too much of a problem since the language is really basis. Go slow, try reading aloud, take notes.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#218304 Mar 11, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>You are grasping at straws
I haven't raised my hand to anyone in 18 years and admitted even though they had smashed a full beer bottle over one of my best friend's head which sent him to the hospital that I did exceed self-defense
I simply have a sense of justice. What was done to that poster is not only the worst thing by far someone has done to someone on Topix it is one of the worst things someone could try to do to someone in real life. You don't like what you perceive to be extreme religious views so you try to take away their means of supporting themselves in a bad economy no less and try to get them as the sole caregiver of their elderly mother declared unfit by the state. Who does something like that? I wouldn't do that to an enemy. And do you have regret or remorse? Nope. You don't even have the decency to stop messing with them
It speaks for itself. And someone supposedly representing the gay community is not only going to invade someone's privacy by gossiping but is going to hold them up for ridicule for getting sex reassignment?
You are a fraud HL. I have learned from my mistakes. You should try it some day
.. unless you can prove your false allegations, no defense is required. That's your MO - defend, justify and protect false self ..

.. you don't like feeling powerless, do you? Guess what? You have no power over me, I am your intellectual, emotional and spiritual superior. Deal with it and quit trying to change focus. By now you should know this doesn't work with me and I'll never fulfill your expectations ..

.. now, tell me exactly what you meant when you wrote, "If you were in front of me, I'd teach you a lesson or two." What was the lesson if not the power of your fists ??..

.. you claim to be in a 12-Step program yet fail to understand the message behind powerlessness. My hat is off to you, you're extremely powerful. And, violent ..
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#218305 Mar 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I'm sorry. It's intended to be stupid.
Are you stupid, or you just like to sound stupid?
That was intended to be funny.
You keep guessing wrong, nitwit.

Why is that?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#218306 Mar 11, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> You can start by not imposing anachronistic assumptions into ancient cultures where slavery was the norm everywhere. According to Scar... link earlier ancient Israel re defined slavery.
<quoted text> No it does not and since you claim it does then the burden of proof is on you. Foreign slaves who escaped to Israel were not to be returned to their foreign masters. <quoted text> Yeah. <quoted text> Then why were foreign slaves allowed sanctuary in Israel? If they had no objections as you claim why not return foreign slaves to their foreign masters?
People often take the "slaves obey your master" verse out of context a lot too. It goes on to acknowledge unfair treatment and says when they are victimized to such that instead of reacting with violence they should turn their suffering over to God

Just as believers are taught to turn the other cheek.

There is a passage that talks about taking slaves when battling enemies of God in a particular conflict but just like many things in the OT those are not part of the new covenant.

Love God
Love your neighbor as yourself
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
Love your enemy, neighbor, and brother

Those that have a problem with Mosaic law or things that happened in the OT really have an issue with Judaism if anything. While obviously part of our Bible, modern Christians are under different rules. If someone has an issue with Christianity today then they should show what in the New Testament they have a problem with. And any believer not abiding by it has to answer why not but that falls on them, not the faith

With Established Harem

#218307 Mar 11, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>The eternal plaint of the sociopath: "Look what you made me do!"
.. SKOM is a total mess; but, sociopath? Perhaps you're more insightful than myself ??..

.. call me the cockeyed optimist; I still think there's a glimmer of hope but the ego defense system in this one is strong ..

Fennario

#218308 Mar 11, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
The Roman Catholic Church creates situational man-boy pedophiles with its policies. The "cover" comes later when the RCC commits the crime of obstruction of justice.
KiMare wrote:
Are you asserting that homosexuality is a choice?
Did you see that assertion anywhere?

I asserted that, "The Roman Catholic Church creates situational man-boy pedophiles with its policies" and that "the "cover" comes later when the RCC commits the crime of obstruction of justice."

These IMPLY that when an entire priesthood is offered no outlet to express sexual instincts except with same sex minors, that there will be a ton of same sex pedophilia. Is that a choice? It's an inevitable and predictable fact.
KiMare wrote:
Any moral person would decry the shame of covering the crime of sodomy.
Well, we're not talking moral people here, are we? We're talking about the Roman Catholic Church, and you, who is also making excuses for them.
What do you think the charge and penalty should be for a parent who leaves a boy alone with a Catholic priest who then rapes that boy?
< sound of a coyote faintly baying on a distant mountaintop >

Good choice.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#218309 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called the "Topix Atheist! Lack of Belief" belief system.
I read it somewhere in the atheist handbook.
heh

Personally find the whole thing kind of funny. It is like some are so anti faith that they won't even allow that both share some common words like "belief"

They can't prove God doesn't exist

However they believe He doesn't

Yet somehow refuse to use that word

If an atheist testifies in court as a witness is it now they only agree to answer questions because testify and witness are too closely associated with faith?

It seems a bit silly to me.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218310 Mar 11, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, according to studies, that's in their favor.
But I'm just betting they are.
Topix Atheist! studies don't count.

Fennario

#218311 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I wrote: Slavery was more of a social status than anything, people would volunteer into slavery to pay off debts or feed their families.

You wrote: That is not slavery.

That pretty much sums up your ignorance on the subject. The only type of slavery you can imagine is the kind of racial, forced slavery that happened in the US. I recommend you educate yourself more on this before we bother continuing.
Good rebuttal as always.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218312 Mar 11, 2014

You're talking nonsense.
The issue is that the phrase 'fulfilled the law' is meaningless, which is why neither you nor Riverside Redneck can provide a clear definition of what that means or how it is distinct from saying that a low is abolished,
Oh but I did give a clear explanation for it and I gave a clear distinction between abolish and fulfill.

Well, clear to those that can read through unbiased eyes, that is....

Location hidden

#218313 Mar 11, 2014
<quoted text>
You're talking nonsense.
The issue is that the phrase 'fulfilled the law' is meaningless, which is why neither you nor Riverside Redneck can provide a clear definition of what that means or how it is distinct from saying that a low is abolished, and why you would rather dance around with references to people and scriptures.
"If I fulfill all the 'requirements' of a law, then I have fulfilled the law." How does that pertain to laws like not to blaspheme (Ex. 22:27) and to not suffer witches to live (Ex. 22:17)? It doesn't.
This the kind of thing that faith and faith based thinking make one do. You spin these ridiculous apologetics. It should serve as a red flag to people thinking about abandoning skepticism and embarking on a faith based life.
With the multiple translations, it's impossible to know what "fulfill the law" means, if it was even uttered. the remnants of Jesus' followers he left behind believed Jewish law still had to be obeyed. Paul went out preaching something different. The "pillars" of the early Jesus movement went to his churches and tried to correct him. It just pissed him off. They said, well, let him go. He can't do much harm.

...famous last words.

With Established Harem

#218314 Mar 11, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>People often take the "slaves obey your master" verse out of context a lot too. It goes on to acknowledge unfair treatment and says when they are victimized to such that instead of reacting with violence they should turn their suffering over to God
Just as believers are taught to turn the other cheek.**PORTIONS SNIPPED**
.. so, why are you unable to do that ??..

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218315 Mar 11, 2014

I asserted that, "The Roman Catholic Church creates situational man-boy pedophiles with its policies" and that "the "cover" comes later when the RCC commits the crime of obstruction of justice."
These IMPLY that when an entire priesthood is offered no outlet to express sexual instincts except with same sex minors, that there will be a ton of same sex pedophilia. Is that a choice? It's an inevitable and predictable fact.
Inevitable?!? Says who?

First of all, those men chose the priesthood. They chose a life of celibacy to serve God.

Second, over. 98% of them remain celibate and do nothing even remotely close to pedophelia.

Nuns are the sane way, choosing a life of celibacy.

Those that choose pedophelia do so at their own accord, NOT by any situation created by the RCC.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 18 min Brian_G 48,443
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 3 hr JustASkeptic 2
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 18 hr Cuddles7668 21,864
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 18 hr ChristineM 23,486
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 19 hr Eagle 12 4,907
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... Fri Scaritual 14
Jesus Christ and Wisdom, Knowledge, Understandi... Nov 29 Richardfs 5
More from around the web