Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#218177 Mar 11, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not ask some priests? Or do you think it's ok when it's with children and in the name of "god"?
I think gay pedophiles using the Church as a cover is despicable.

But they are not the only ones who use the sacred as a cover for the carnal, are they?

A rational person would separate the baby from the bathwater. Just not a 'rational atheist' oxymoron...

Smirk.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#218178 Mar 11, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
Atheism was the default position long before religion was manufactured. Only the WORD for atheism was manufactured, necessarily, after religion was MANufactured.
Do you know about retronyms? Once upon a time, what we call acoustic guitars were just called guitars. Then came electric guitars, and that older type of guitar became the acoustic guitar. Likewise, once snow skiing was just skiing - until water skiing came along. Consider phrases like analog clock and cloth diaper, which were just clocks and diapers until digital clocks and disposable paper diapers came along. A more modern one is brick and mortar store.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#218179 Mar 11, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know about retronyms? Once upon a time, what we call acoustic guitars were just called guitars. Then came electric guitars, and that older type of guitar became the acoustic guitar. Likewise, once snow skiing was just skiing - until water skiing came along. Consider phrases like analog clock and cloth diaper, which were just clocks and diapers until digital clocks and disposable paper diapers came along. A more modern one is brick and mortar store.
Well, NOW I do.

:)

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#218180 Mar 11, 2014
<quoted text>Is that what you think Jesus did and reported? If so, your god isn't much brighter than you are.

You didn't fulfill a law, you fulfilled the requirements of the law. You complied with the law when you fulfilled its requirements. You simply can't fulfill a law.

And if you had fulfilled it - whatever that means - is the speeding law is no longer in effect?

KiMare wrote, " I'm not trying to embarrass idiots ... Smirk"

"Idiot" is a little harsh. You just have bad luck with thinking.
That speeding analogy was mine.

Your explanation is much better.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#218181 Mar 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I think gay pedophiles using the Church as a cover is despicable. Smirk.
The Roman Catholic Church creates situational man-boy pedophiles with its policies. The "cover" come later when the RCC commits the crime of obstruction of justice.

What do you think the charge and penalty should be for a parent who leaves a boy alone with a Catholic priest who then rapes that boy?

Location hidden

#218182 Mar 11, 2014
<quoted text>
Is that what you think Jesus did and reported? If so, your god isn't much brighter than you are.
You didn't fulfill a law, you fulfilled the requirements of the law. You complied with the law when you fulfilled its requirements. You simply can't fulfill a law.
And if you had fulfilled it - whatever that means - is the speeding law is no longer in effect?
<quoted text>
"Idiot" is a little harsh. You just have bad luck with thinking.
~What you or I believe Jesus did is not the issue. I've already exposed the idiocy of your opinions about God numerous times.

~Childish word games. If I fulfill all the 'requirements' of a law, then I have fulfilled the law.

~However, you bring up an interesting distinction. A law that dictates repetitive actions, to be fulfilled over and over, and a law that fulfills a requirement in a single act.

~So when the Bible says Christ 'fulfilled the Law', what specific single requirement is it referring to?

~And when Paul writes, "The entire Law is fulfilled in this one commandment." What repetitive act is he referring to?

Or are once again these questions too difficult for a 'rational atheist' oxymoron to answer?

Smile.
OG Kush

Jacksonville, FL

#218183 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus fulfilled the old laws.
This is a concept beyond you, I think.
There isnt any evidence that this Jesus character even existed, or .Moses or Muhammad.

The concept of organized superstition is alive and well with you however.

Don't you ever tire of making excuses?

Why not set a new standard for the world and produce infallible proof of your hero?

Why even this alleged diety could help if she wanted to!

I find it curious these Gods love to play with their alleged creations. Acts pretty much like a child with toys. epic fail for a serious God.

Will all Christians share paradise with Muslim martyrs and Jewish martyrs Buddhist and Hindus?

How many heavens exist according to the religious? Are they all the same?

Are these paradise's (afterlife domiciles) mutually shared by other cults. That would make rather interesting bedfellows in the never never land!

It amazes me on the amount of time religious followers spend in supporting their beliefs. They pray, chant, preach, sing hymns, bow, mumble, kneel, make unnatural movements with their bodies, wear special garments, lockets, do fast, visit swamis and gurus, visit extremely hard to reach 'religious' places, do pilgrimage, rituals etc.

But is there any evidence that these activities promote the personal well-being of a person and give positive results?

The answer is not No, but HELL NO!

Location hidden

#218184 Mar 11, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
That speeding analogy was mine.
Your explanation is much better.
Um,''rational atheist' oxymoron honey,

she gave no analogy.

Snicker.

Location hidden

#218185 Mar 11, 2014
<quoted text>
The Roman Catholic Church creates situational man-boy pedophiles with its policies. The "cover" come later when the RCC commits the crime of obstruction of justice.
What do you think the charge and penalty should be for a parent who leaves a boy alone with a Catholic priest who then rapes that boy?
~Are you asserting that homosexuality is a choice?

~Your ignorance of faith is once again exposed. No one forces a man into the Priesthood.

~Any moral person would decry the shame of covering the crime of sodomy.

~The depravity of a 'rational atheist' oxymoron is exposed by your blaming the victims rather than the perpetrator. Despicable.
OG Kush

Jacksonville, FL

#218186 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Vamos a probar esto, para la gente con problemas lik que no saben discernir edad, de nuevo, adeudados de pagado, incompletas y completas.
Aquí hay una ley. Saber de dónde viene?
"Si algún esclavo resiste a su amo, corregir tal esclavo, y deberá pasar a ser asesinados en dicha corrección el capitán deberá estar libre de todo tipo de castigo, como si tal accidente nunca hubiera ocurrido."
Es una ley. Está escrito. Es estadounidense.
Usted es americano.
Por lo tanto, de acuerdo con Topix Ateo! lógica, debe seguir esa ley y debe poseer un esclavo.
Apology accepted.
Es mejor guardar silencio y ser pensado un tonto que hablar hacia fuera y quitar toda duda.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#218187 Mar 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>I think gay pedophiles using the Church as a cover is despicable.

But they are not the only ones who use the sacred as a cover for the carnal, are they?

A rational person would separate the baby from the bathwater. Just not a 'rational atheist' oxymoron...

Smirk.
Priests are all gay? I don't know about that, many like little girls as well.

Kudos for being aware of the sickness that courses through the bowels of your church.
OG Kush

Jacksonville, FL

#218188 Mar 11, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Rolling papers? Oh dear, I hope you use a vaporizer. Much healthier. So I've heard. ;)
Anyway, I really find apologists for slavery puzzling. The fact that God ever condoned slavery for anyone should bring immediate condemnation from any rational and moral person. And if Leviticus was only for the Levites, does that mean everything else in that book, including condemnation of gay relationships, only applies to that specific group as well?
Gideons bible pages make terrible rolling papers!

If there is a God why didn't he give us a better book of rolling papers?

He did give us the plant and he mentions it in his little book!

EZ KILL
34:29 And I will raise up for them a plant of renown, and they shall be no more consumed with hunger in the land, neither bear the shame of the heathen any more.

munchies anyone ?
where's my Doritos when I need them?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#218189 Mar 11, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
That only applies to Exodites.
Actually, I'd estimate that very very few of the slaves that made their way to America were stolen. Most were bought from slave traders who kidnapped them. Stealing someone's slave would have been a lot more dangerous than kidnapping a free person.
<quoted text>
It probably didn't apply very often. Most slave owners bought their slaves fair and square.
<quoted text>
I have seen no evidence to support that. Do you have any?
<quoted text>
That is not slavery.
<quoted text>
Does it make you feel better to imagine a fairy tale history?
Owning people is immoral. The people that wrote the Bible didn't think so, but they were wrong.
This part stood out:

I wrote:
Slavery was more of a social status than anything, people would volunteer into slavery to pay off debts or feed their families.

You wrote:
That is not slavery.

---

That pretty much sums up your ignorance on the subject. The only type of slavery you can imagine is the kind of racial, forced slavery that happened in the US.

I recommend you educate yourself more on this before we bother continuing.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218190 Mar 11, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
So now you are going to pull the "The OT is only for ancient Jews not Christians" cop out.
Are the OT Laws for slavery and God telling the Hebrews to enslave people "Ritual", "Spiritual" or "Moral" law ? Those were the three classifications you gave a couple days ago .
Let us know what in the OT was addressed to Christians.
Nope. That's not what I said.

I said the three types of Biblical laws are Ceremonial, Cultural and Moral.

The OT slave laws would be the Cultural kind.

Sort of like today's slave laws in America and how they mean nothing in Thailand.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218191 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

I don't believe a puddle of goop could flourish into life without the assistance of a designer.
BenAdam wrote:
You have no understanding of sexual reproduction then.
What a moron!
o.O

You think the first life, according to science, was an advanced form of life?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218192 Mar 11, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, yes-- I know the "argument".
And in EVERY CASE? There has **never** been irreducible complexity.
Never.
Ever.
Oh?

Reduce the complexity of a mousetrap, what do you have?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218193 Mar 11, 2014

Wrong, stupid.
A beaver's dam is made by instinct within the beavers.
It was **never** designed--which requires forethought.
Beavers do not posses forethought.
You are seriously an idiot.
Beavers design the dam, dipshit. They build it with intent and purpose.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218194 Mar 11, 2014
<quoted text>
You bragged about hitting your first wife.
More than one time, you bragged about that.
Liar.
Then I suppose you're too damn stupid to know the difference between women and a woman.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218195 Mar 11, 2014
BULLSHYT!!!!
Slavery is still the elimination of **all** free actions and **ownership** of another human being.
Really? That's it? That's the one and only type of slavery?

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#218196 Mar 11, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism was the default position long before religion was manufactured.
Only the WORD for atheism was manufactured, necessarily, after religion was MANufactured.
You really ARE desperate, aren't you.
Bull shit.

You can't reject a god until one is postulated.

Atheism is not a default position. It came long after religion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) 1 hr old_moose 163
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr Eagle 12 - 32,607
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Eagle 12 - 80,071
what science will NEVER be able to prove 9 hr Eagle 12 - 10
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) 9 hr Eagle 12 - 106
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 9 hr Eagle 12 - 69
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
More from around the web