Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258452 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#217988 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Which parts of science belongs in schools and who gets to decide that?
Certainly not a dropout.

Fremont, CA

#217989 Mar 10, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
So you don't have an answer.
Numerous courts, including the Supreme Court, have said Atheism is a religion, or can be considered a religion.
Materialist theories and dogma, as in Darwinism, is atheistic and obviously breaches the requirement that government schools be neutral toward religion.
Do you deny the courts have insisted on this neutrality?
So evolution has to go. You should be standing up for civil liberties! Where's the ACLU?
Come on, Buck.

Let's not go there. The Supreme Court has NOT said atheism IS a religion, and you know it. For purposes of the First Amendment, it has the same protections afforded religions. But believe me, I'm not going to listen to crap about atheism being a religion.

I will thank you for some intellectual honesty if you want to discuss with me.

If you won't be intellectually honest, talk to the Redneck instead.

Fremont, CA

#217990 Mar 10, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
So you don't have an answer.
Numerous courts, including the Supreme Court, have said Atheism is a religion, or can be considered a religion.
Materialist theories and dogma, as in Darwinism, is atheistic and obviously breaches the requirement that government schools be neutral toward religion.
Do you deny the courts have insisted on this neutrality?
So evolution has to go. You should be standing up for civil liberties! Where's the ACLU?
I see.

OK, talk to the Redneck.

I'm done with you on this subject.

Don't forget to declare victory.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#217991 Mar 10, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
ID is not a scientific theory.
At best, it's a hypothesis. And one with no supporting observable evidence at that.
And even if it did rise to the level of a hypothesis, it would have no value.
Thanks for sharing your religious belief.

Praise Darwin.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#217992 Mar 10, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The people with the deepest pockets.
In the case of the Intelligent Design controversy, it's the ACLU and various science organizations who are religiously and philosophically materialists, which means they are atheists.
Materialism has assumed the role of an Establishment of Religion.
Of the deepest irony,....and this is the clincher that will make you light your head on fire:
** They achieve the Establishment on the basis that there can be no Establishment !!**
This bears reiterating...to put it another way...
**Materialism is the exclusive State Church, and achieved it by insisting there can be No State Church !!***
[Write this down and pass it to your grandchildren. When they find that they no longer have a sovereign nation to live in, they will be able to know you warned them.]
.. interesting, there's only one flaw. No amount of education will eliminate the creative human drive, that magic moment when a canvas comes alive with radiant colors, a piece of wood evolves into a flute or a symphony stirs the spirit ..

.. for me, the Discovery Institute errs. Like theologians, they reduce a timeless mystical mystery to evidence based thought, blend the known with the unknown. Spirituality is not a 'think' deal, it's a 'feel' deal, wonderment ..

.. to subject spirituality to scientific research is, well, inhumane ..

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#217993 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Skom!
They let you out?
Wherethefuck you been?
.. your compadre, Thing #2, has returned; the one who will teach me a lesson with his fists. Let the good times roll ..

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#217994 Mar 10, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. interesting, there's only one flaw. No amount of education will eliminate the creative human drive, that magic moment when a canvas comes alive with radiant colors, a piece of wood evolves into a flute or a symphony stirs the spirit ..
.. for me, the Discovery Institute errs. Like theologians, they reduce a timeless mystical mystery to evidence based thought, blend the known with the unknown. Spirituality is not a 'think' deal, it's a 'feel' deal, wonderment ..
.. to subject spirituality to scientific research is, well, inhumane ..
There is a time when learning to make music is technical, rigid and requires constant thought and attention, then one day a transformation comes where the music flows as if from thin air and you and the music are one.

In a similar vein, religion reduces the music of spirituality to little more than making fart sounds with one's hand and armpit.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#217995 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You know what else is telling?
William Wilberforce was a Christian.
And he was a pivotal leader of the movement to abolish the slave trade.
Something the Topix Atheists! like to ignore.
Fortunately, Christians often act in contradiction to what the Bible says.

San Francisco

#217996 Mar 10, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. your compadre, Thing #2, has returned; the one who will teach me a lesson with his fists. Let the good times roll ..
Bullies are cowards.

;)

San Francisco

#217997 Mar 10, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on, Buck.
Let's not go there. The Supreme Court has NOT said atheism IS a religion, and you know it. For purposes of the First Amendment, it has the same protections afforded religions. But believe me, I'm not going to listen to crap about atheism being a religion.
Intellectual honesty? From Buck? LOL!

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#217998 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>You don't get to decide it's value.

Scientific theory, four-step process:
1. Observations
2. Hypothesis
3. Experiments
4. Conclusion

Intelligent design theory uses those steps.

1. Observation that intelligent agents produce complex and specified information.

2. Hypothesis that if a natural object was designed, it will contain high levels of complex and specified information.

3. Experimental testing on natural objects to determine if they contain complex and specified information.

4. Irreducible complexity found in biology, they conclude that such structures were designed.

Notice no mention of any deities involved, as the Topix Atheist! claims.
Ok

You're right.

It hasn't even risen to the observation level yet.

So tell me...what WOULD its value be?

And what/who-whatever-is the so-called designer?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#217999 Mar 10, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for sharing your religious belief.

Praise Darwin.
Lame.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#218000 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>And you? Thinking that if something rises to the level of a hypothesis, it would have no value?
Not until the hypothesis is supported by testing its validity.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#218001 Mar 10, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>Come on, Buck.

You have very high hopes, considering buck's consistent and persistent dishonesty.

Fremont, CA

#218002 Mar 10, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Lame.
Something not good has happened to Buck.

Maybe something has gone haywire in his personal life.

But for sure, he's not the Buck of a year ago.

He has become humorless, negative and more pedantic.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#218003 Mar 10, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
Hmm. Okay - if your designer is not a deity what is it? Aliens?
C'mon, son, that's deliberate obfuscation.
See how the Topix Atheist! swears that ID is talking about a deity even thought the ID doesn't make that claim.

The incandescent light bulb was designed. Would you say it takes God to do that?

Maybe they'll put God in their theory, if and when God allows them to test Him.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218004 Mar 10, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Certainly not a dropout.
So then someone like Thomas Edison can't make that determination...

Or Bill Gates?

Albert Einstein?

John Rockefeller?

Walt Disney?

Charles Dickens?

Or what about your patriarch, Charles Darwin? he "only" had a degree in theology, called Divinity back then....

You seem to place so much importance on people that did not drop out, what about people like these?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218005 Mar 10, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Ka-Pow!

SPLATT!

ZLOPP!

WHOOOSH!

Are you injured yet?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218006 Mar 10, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Fortunately, Christians often act in contradiction to what the Bible says.
Oh no.... More Topix Atheist! nonsense...

Ok, tell me where the Bible says that I, a Christian, can (or should) own a slave.

Go.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218007 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

1. Observation that intelligent agents produce complex and specified information.
Aerobatty wrote:

Ok
You're right.
It hasn't even risen to the observation level yet.
So tell me...what WOULD its value be?
And what/who-whatever-is the so-called designer?
Really? You disagree that it has not been observed that intelligent agents produce complex and specified information?

What are you smoking over there?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 min Subduction Zone 28,658
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min Science 67,233
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 4 hr Regolith Based Li... 3,531
is it ever right to hate Christians as a group? Tue superwilly 21
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Tue superwilly 462
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Apr 22 IB DaMann 5,975
News Unholy? Atheists should embrace the science of ... Apr 20 Eagle 12 9
More from around the web