Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#217570 Mar 7, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Changing from moose shit to crab shit IS quite a feat.
And you know this how?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#217571 Mar 7, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
This reminds me of Luke 23:43 and the misplaced comma.
Jesus answered him,“Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”
Jesus answered him,“Truly I tell you today, you will be with me in paradise.”
No one knows where the comma should have been placed in Luke. Some early manuscripts have it before, some after and some none at all.

Cherry pick which ever fits your preconceived notions, that is the Christian way.
Real linguists have no problem admitting it is ambiguous at best.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#217572 Mar 7, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for proving my prediction true. I must be a prophet.
And, yes, they may be facts but you are presenting them as excuses.
"It's OK that children were molested because there weren't that many molested"...is an absolutely horrible argument, an excuse for atrocious behavior.
"The Inquisition wasn't that bad because the RCC also had hospitals"...is also an horrible argument. Again, excusing atrocities.
That you can't see this shows how religion has damaged your moral sense.
You realize that you are talking to a man that justifies his own beating of women and babies, right ?

“Love much, trust none”

There

#217573 Mar 7, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
And you know this how?
RR, like Buck and the Pope, thinks that what ever they spew forth is the unerring "Word of God".

In the real world we call it mentally ill.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#217574 Mar 7, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
This reminds me of Luke 23:43 and the misplaced comma.
Jesus answered him,“Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”
Jesus answered him,“Truly I tell you today, you will be with me in paradise.”
Try not to be silly, RR.

"The original Hebrew (and Aramaic) manuscripts were written without vowels and without punctuation." - http://theaquilareport.com/punctuating-the-bi...

Or did you think that the confounded thing was written in Elizabethan English?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#217575 Mar 7, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, it's difficult for you. I didn't realize just how difficult reading comprehension is for people with determined belief systems in need of supporting.
Ok, first, you have, in every single post before this one claimed that Harris was not talking about behavior - yet, clearly he is. He's talking about what causes behavior. That's not 'one word.' I had to point out the words "act' and 'behavior' because you, for whatever reason, weren't reading them.
And, yes, he's drawing a link between behavior and action. I've been writing that the whole time and you've been ignoring it the whole time. It's nice that you're finally acknowledging that, but not so nice that you're claiming I didn't write that. Once again, for the slow of mind, he's reinterpreting US action against terrorists as action against propositions to behavior. He very, very clearly points this out in this single sentence "We will continue to spill blood in what is, at bottom, a war of ideas."
I know you favor dishonesty and insults to make your points, but it's shocking see you so dense. I'm guessing you've been boozing it up? Lots of pot?
Anyways, it's clear you never bothered to read what Harris wrote. You just took that one sentence and built up some misrepresentation of Harris that you want to attack. Ok, go hard.
"drawing a link between behavior and action"
Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#217576 Mar 7, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for proving my prediction true. I must be a prophet.
And, yes, they may be facts but you are presenting them as excuses.
"It's OK that children were molested because there weren't that many molested"...is an absolutely horrible argument, an excuse for atrocious behavior.
"The Inquisition wasn't that bad because the RCC also had hospitals"...is also an horrible argument. Again, excusing atrocities.
That you can't see this shows how religion has damaged your moral sense.
Now you're adding in words I have never said and would never say.

I never said anything remotely similar to "It's OK that children were molested because there weren't that many molested"... as you have just lied about.

Talking with you is futile. It's a constant conversation about what I didn't say.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#217577 Mar 7, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Try not to be silly, RR.
"The original Hebrew (and Aramaic) manuscripts were written without vowels and without punctuation." - http://theaquilareport.com/punctuating-the-bi...
RR will declare to be "The Word of God" whatever translation fits his 'folie du jour'.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#217578 Mar 7, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Did you want to make an argument or even a bare claim to go with this? Were you defending Luther?
I did look at your link. It was pretty funny. This was part of the defense of Luther:
"Many of the passages in those volumes were transcribed by students after Luther the hot head had imbibed one too many pints of stiff German lager. Do you think that in all those pages there may be statements recorded which Luther may have later regretted? "
LOL. Whatever the source of Luther's inspiration - the holy spirit or alcoholic spirits - he has resonated with Christians throughout the centuries. He's the father of Protestantism, and just about as prominent a Christian as there is in history. How many men have a major denomination named after them? He and Calvin are all that come to mind.
Anyway, lets' look at some more of what this great and highly admired Christian had to say:
[1] "Reason should be destroyed in all Christians." - Martin Luther
[2] "Whoever wants to be a Christian should tear the eyes out of his Reason." - Martin Luther
Here he is on science:
[3] "People gave ear to an upstart astrologer [Copernicus] who strove to show that the earth revolves, not the heavens or the firmament, the sun and the moon. Whoever wishes to appear clever must devise some new system, which of all systems is of course the very best. This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy; but sacred scripture tells us [Joshua 10:13] that Joshua commanded the sun to stand still, and not the earth." - Martin Luther
Here he is on the fairer sex:
[4] "Even though they grow weary and wear themselves out with child-bearing, it does not matter; let them go on bearing children till they die, that is what they are there for." - Martin Luther
[5] "The word and works of God is quite clear, that women were made either to be wives or prostitutes." — Martin Luther
Here he is on Jews (truncated):
[6]“What shall we Christians do with this rejected and condemned people, the Jews? First, to set fire to their synagogues or schools and to bury and cover with dirt whatever will not burn. Second, I advise that their houses also be razed and destroyed. Third, I advise that all their prayer books and Talmudic writings, in which such idolatry, lies, cursing, and blasphemy are taught, be taken from them."
And here he is on honesty:
[7] "What harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie for the sake of the good and for the Christian church … a lie out of necessity, a useful lie, a helpful lie, such lies would not be against God, he would accept them." - Martin Luther
Wad he drunk for all of that?
<quoted text>
I'm guessing Germany - perhaps in a barroom according to your link.
Your post is a perfect exams of why unsourced quotes are not to be trusted.

You censored my post.

You failed to provide source of the post I was requesting.

The only thing your post did was expose your lack of character and moral substance.

Oh, and validate the 'rational humanist' oxymoron.

Smile.

Location hidden

#217579 Mar 7, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
No one knows where the comma should have been placed in Luke. Some early manuscripts have it before, some after and some none at all.
Cherry pick which ever fits your preconceived notions, that is the Christian way.
Real linguists have no problem admitting it is ambiguous at best.
You're no professor.

Ancient Greek used NO punctuation. The punctuation we see in the NT was added in so we could understand it better. Ancient Greek was written entirely in capital letters, no spacing or punctuation involved.

You have just proven yourself a fraud and that "Duane" is not you.

Location hidden

#217580 Mar 7, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
Try not to be silly, RR.
I know that, Mac.

It was a test. I wanted to see what reactions that post would derive. You passed.

Ben, the supposed archaeologist, historian, computer technician, scribe, linguist, college professor, high school teacher, astronaut, chef and farmer for six generations failed.

Ben, you failed.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#217581 Mar 7, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
You realize that you are talking to a man that justifies his own beating of women and babies, right ?
Yes, I know. RR finds excuses for all sorts of things.

Location hidden

#217582 Mar 7, 2014
Oh, I forgot auto tech.

Ben is supposedly also a Master Automotive Technician, probably CSC certified. I'm sure he's downloaded a diploma for it.

Not long ago, he was rebuilding the supposed heads on his supposed Stingray.

All while posting on Topix and giving us "updates".

He has pics on photobucket to prove it lol.

Impressive to say the least....
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#217583 Mar 7, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
For RoccoCatcher:
Today is 9-1/2 hours old.
I've posted 17 times in 30 minutes.
Not 17 times in 9-1/2 hours.
Put that in your obsessive calculations.
So you've cut down to 1.76 posts per minute.
Congratulations on your newfound self-control...

#217584 Mar 7, 2014
Caught in The Pulpit: Leaving Belief Behind

by Daniel C. Dennett and Linda LaScola

A book of interviews with clergy that have lost their faith and become atheists.

Andy Thomson interviews LaScola

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
&fe ature=player_embedded

A lot of these clergy became atheists in seminary...because of what they were learning in seminary...yet continued on to become clergy anyway.(Personally, I don't understand this, but it does happen.) More just accepted what they learned in seminary by rote, but began to think for themselves later in their careers. Interesting listening.

#217585 Mar 7, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you're adding in words I have never said and would never say.
I never said anything remotely similar to "It's OK that children were molested because there weren't that many molested"... as you have just lied about.
Talking with you is futile. It's a constant conversation about what I didn't say.
You have said essentially what I posted. When discussing child molestation in the church, you said it wasn't a problem because not many had been molested.

When the atrocities of the church were pointed out, you said they could be excused because of hospitals and a number of other points.

The thing is...you were offering excuses for bad behavior. You do it for religion all the time. You even do it for yourself. You excuse hitting women and children.

Did you say those specific words...no. Did you say something meaning the same...yes.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#217586 Mar 7, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're no professor.
Ancient Greek used NO punctuation. The punctuation we see in the NT was added in so we could understand it better. Ancient Greek was written entirely in capital letters, no spacing or punctuation involved.
You have just proven yourself a fraud and that "Duane" is not you.
Ancient Koine (the language of the earliest manuscripts) used punctuation the equivalent of the period, common, semicolon and question mark.

I Guess this wasn't included in your GED exam.

https://www.teknia.com/greekalphabet/greek-pu...

“Love much, trust none”

There

#217587 Mar 7, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh, I forgot auto tech.
Ben is supposedly also a Master Automotive Technician, probably CSC certified. I'm sure he's downloaded a diploma for it.
Not long ago, he was rebuilding the supposed heads on his supposed Stingray.
All while posting on Topix and giving us "updates".
He has pics on photobucket to prove it lol.
Impressive to say the least....
Your lies know no bounds.

ESAD

#217588 Mar 7, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post is a perfect exams of why unsourced quotes are not to be trusted.
You censored my post.
You failed to provide source of the post I was requesting.
The only thing your post did was expose your lack of character and moral substance.
Oh, and validate the 'rational humanist' oxymoron.
Smile.
KiMare, IANS did provide the source...Martin Luther. If you want to verify those quotes (there is that "verify" again) you can use Google.

For example...

I googled "What harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie" and got lots of sites, including...

http://beggarsallreformation.blogspot.com/201...

This took less than a minute.

#217589 Mar 7, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Your lies know no bounds.
ESAD
Lying seems to come so easily to these theists. I guess there are only 9 Commandments.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 15 min Eman 22,442
Noah's flood real (Oct '12) 4 hr Patrick 4,512
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr John K 493
Can atheists pray? Gretta Vosper on Andrew W.K.... 5 hr Patrick 9
After brutal persecution, Albania 'reopened' to... 6 hr Barbarian 4
Hollywood Actor Reveals What He Thinks Is 'Weir... 6 hr Patrick 141
Indiana Governor Mike Pence Stands Up to Atheis... 8 hr nOgOd 1
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE