Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217495 Mar 7, 2014
OG Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
OG begs to differ double r.
The position of the atheist is that the theist has not successfully met his or her burden of proof.
Proof, with regard to gods rests solely with the side claiming their existence.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" Carl Sagan
When phrased to focus on faith, the claim typically centers on a fundamental misunderstanding of the meaning of atheism.
They have erroneously convinced themselves that atheism means absolute certainty that no gods exist.
They reason that to be absolutely certain without proof is a form of faith.
Atheism is not about certainty at all; it is about doubt.
Carl stole that from Marcello...

" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcello_Truzzi&... ;

...and he probably borrowed it from his mom.

It's natural that you should be filled with doubt, since you get so little right.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#217496 Mar 7, 2014
the talk wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a hateful atheist , just like all of them I know. You are piece of chicken shit and all atheists deserve to be kicked in the face for the hateful deeds they do.
All atheists are human crud full of hatred and their lives show it daily.
Nobody's perfect.
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217498 Mar 7, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Please Topix Atheist! quote mine the Bible where it say it's ethical for ***ME*** to kill ***YOU***.
Go.
hush...you don't want to wake up the reverend anal, do ya?
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217499 Mar 7, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
He is the perfect example for demonstrating the dunning kruger effect
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHhahahah...look whose talking...the loon who insists she's disproven God with a "theory".

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#217500 Mar 7, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
One pundit described the Putin - Obama standoff:
"The KGB vs. ACORN"
Priceless.
Does anyone recall during the 2012 presidential campaign Mitt Romney said Russia is the biggest geopolitical threat there is, and Obama and every speaker at the Democrat Convention mocked and ridiculed him?
http://www.ijreview.com/2014/03/118668-rememb...
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217501 Mar 7, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Egoism? I think you have the wrong word. You wanted egotism.
Nope, the definition of egoism IS "self-conceit;egotism ", a self-evident definition if there ever was one. One look at your posts says it all, conceit.
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217502 Mar 7, 2014
"Onegh I think they cannot be a bigot against an idea, institution, or other abstraction. "
should read
"One cannot be a bigot against an idea, institution, or other abstraction."
My computer has that little demon that makes your cursor jump around as if it had a mind of its own. The above is a typical result.
"Onegh" lol

Yes, one can. Harris is a "thought bigot".
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217503 Mar 7, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
He also said this, which is essentially the same comment creatively repackaged:
“If you wake up tomorrow morning thinking that saying a few Latin words over your pancakes is going to turn them into the body of Elvis Presley, you have lost your mind. But if you think more or less the same thing about a cracker and the body of Jesus, you’re just a Catholic." - Sam Harris
It's supposed to be symbolic of "becoming one" in body and spirit with Jesus.

Location hidden

#217504 Mar 7, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Harris argues that killing a terroistmastermind is akin to killing someone for their propositions - proposals to attack Western innocents, beliefs that Western innocents should die, etc.
No, Harris is not arguing that at all. You are arguing that.

Harris suggests we may need to consider it moral and ethical to kill some people for something they believe, simply as a response to them believing it.

Then he falsely analogizes that with military combat against Islamic terrorism. Terrorism is not something believed. It is action.

Harris hates religious people. So he attacks religion at the most vulnerable point - Islamic extremism. He suggests the broad principle of killing people for certain beliefs by fabricating a false stepping-off point - combating terrorism.

It's clear and simple.

Here's some more moralizing from Harris:

Sam Harris in 2005: "I am one of the few people I know of who has argued in print that torture may be an ethical necessity in our war on terror."

Sam Harris in 2012: "We should profile Muslims, or anyone who looks like he or she could conceivably be Muslim, and we should be honest about it."
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217505 Mar 7, 2014
<quoted text>
You didn't recognize her venom? None of the handful of other posters as vile as that (porter, Loblah, etc.) are posting as a woman. The others are all posting as males except KiMare, who is posting as both.
"Vile", as in nailing your flaky hide to the wall.
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217507 Mar 7, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, but are you sure you're ready? It usually involves electricity and metal.
Make sure the setting is on "high".

http://greatinventions.tv/home/wp-content/upl...
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217508 Mar 7, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Not necessary. If you want me, just say so. I'll decide if I need the bag over your head.
You might want to consider bringing two bags...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php...

...just in case....hers falls off.

`8^p
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217509 Mar 7, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>You've never had a dog, have you?
Yes, I have and only one of them was a good dog. He was very protective of me and the yard, he killed any other animal that entered our yard, so I was never comfortable with the idea of leaving him alone, unsupervised, with a small child. The other dogs I had were even more aggressive than he was, snapping and growling at kids. Useless as pets.

Location hidden

#217510 Mar 7, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Harris didn't make that claim in absence of an argument based on actions. Imo, he needed to include more about past behavior of violence, etc., but he didn't.
Anyways, your argument, and his, equate to the same thing. You'd call for pre-emptive strikes against high ranking Al Queda, regardless of whether they have personally killed anyone, b/c of their complicity in their dangerous and violent organization, which you claim we're at war with. Harris is interpreting your argument to suggest that calling for attacks on them is akin to attacking them for their propensity to act b/c of their belief system of jihad and all that.
It surprises me that you don't get that. Anyways, what are you smoking and will you share?
You have no grasp of how to discuss this subject.

Harris' premise relies totally on the absence of actions. He would not need to bother to convince us that actions can justify killing. He asserts the case for thought and beliefs justifying killing. That is his only point.

You do not understand the distinctions between killing for belief (Harris) and killing terrorists (my position). Maybe it would help you understand if you thought of it as our troops shooting a Nazi soldier on the battlefield in WWII when the soldier had not personally killed anyone.

I hope this helps you.
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217511 Mar 7, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, Nano, could you be any more egocentric? That was a comment to Buck, not you.
Nuh uh.
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217512 Mar 7, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> If we resort to this, then governments can kill anyone without trial and say anything was the reason.
Cowboy justice only works under very extreme circumstances , as there is much potential for the abuse and circumvention of justice than there is the application of justice.
Which in short means that desperate measures only work in desperate situations, and they should never become normal.
Ahem!

" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Targeted_killing... ;

Tell that to the U.N.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#217513 Mar 7, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I have and only one of them was a good dog. He was very protective of me and the yard, he killed any other animal that entered our yard, so I was never comfortable with the idea of leaving him alone, unsupervised, with a small child. The other dogs I had were even more aggressive than he was, snapping and growling at kids. Useless as pets.
Then you're doing it wrong.
OG Kush

Winter Garden, FL

#217514 Mar 7, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>Carl stole that from Marcello...
" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcello_Truzzi&... ;
...and he probably borrowed it from his mom.
It's natural that you should be filled with doubt, since you get so little right.
You are quite delusional yet I find it funny to read your posts.

Why not take you're religious passion to a library and pursue it by studying other competing religions?

Not only will you be surprised by whT you discover, you will come away will come away with a different point of view.

And that 'view' will be what I expressed in my post... doubt!

Since the early days,[the church] has thrown itself violently against every effort to liberate the body and mind of man.

It has been, at all times and everywhere, the habitual and incorrigible defender of bad governments, bad laws, bad social theories, bad institutions.

It was, for centuries, an apologist for slavery, as it was an apologist for the divine right of kings.

"Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable ... A man full of faith is simply one who has lost (or never had) the capacity for clear and realistic thought. He is not a mere ass: he is actually ill." ~H.L. Mencken

If money is the 'root of all evil' why do churches ask for it?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#217515 Mar 7, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course Sam thinks that way, he's an intolerant dick.
Good rebuttal as always

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#217516 Mar 7, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>Whereas, you ALWAYS are....less.
Less what? Less moronic than you? That’s not very hard but thanks anyway

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 38 min thetruth 202
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 57 min chris toal 39
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr thetruth 2,598
Evidence for God! 2 hr thetruth 368
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 2 hr thetruth 8
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 2 hr thetruth 162
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr thetruth 1,451
More from around the web