Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
208,381 - 208,400 of 224,365 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that question is for Catcher but I always tip better than 15% regardless of the waitress service. Very seldom if ever has it been poor. But waitress don’t make a lot of money and they are often Moms trying to feed their families.
Everyone has a bad day and personal problems can be distracting. I find when I tip good that the service improves for my next visit. People have to make a living these days and tips is how a lot of waitress put bread on the table.
If I get repeated bad service I’ll just no longer visit that establishment for a while.
For me, the server 's (male or female) personal life and choices do not come in to play when deciding a tip. All that matters is their quality of service, attitude and promptness. The quality of the food doesn't come to mind.

I gave an excellent waiter at Red Lobster a.$50 tip for a $125 meal. The dude was such a good waiter, he's the kind you remember.

However, another time we had this really shitty waitress, the kind that slammed the good down, never asked how the meal was, never refilled the drinks, etc. she came to the table twice; once to take our order and once to drop the check. If she was a single mom that needed extra cash, she certainly didn't act like it. I have her nothing.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
I didn't sum up his argument, either correctly or incorrectly. I only addressed the portion of his argument that advocates murdering innocent people.
I noticed. And you misrepresented him there. His comment included the word "may," which none of Harris' critics here including you seems to have noticed.

Do any of us know what he would answer if asked about that today? It could be something like, "I used to be unsure whether there could be a circumstance wherein it would be appropriate to kill somebody for a belief, but after years of further consideration, I have decided that there is none." That would not be inconsistent with his earlier comment. Would that change anything for you if it were his opinion?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
1: I do not believe your story
2: If you do not know "who it was from"(sic): then you do not know it was christian generosity!
3: you are a habitual and inefficient Liar.
1. I don't care what you think.

B. I don't care what you think.

3. I don't care what you think.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It wouldn't be used to pay off the debt. Obama would put it in his Global Warming Slush Fund, give grants to another solar panel company who's going out of business, and buy Michelle a gold bustle to cover up her huge ass.
wow

that would be an excellent improvement upon it's current employment

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>That you don't understand that our beliefs inform our actions, speaks volumes about your intellect.
If you BELIVE that blacks are inferior to whites, then at some point your actions will reflect that belief, even if it's just something you say. That is an action.
If you BELIEVE that being a pedophile is ok, then most certainly your actions will reflect that belief.
If you BELIEVE that someone who doesn't share your belief in God will suffer eternal damnation, and the result of this belief causes divisiveness, then this mindset, this action, was caused by your beliefs.
If you BELIEVE homosexuality is unacceptable, then any action you take to limit the rights of homosexuals is an action taken because of your belief.
What the hell, do you live in a figgin cave, that you don't understand how beliefs affect our actions?
'Zactly
EXPERT

Redding, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>That you don't understand that our beliefs inform our actions, speaks volumes about your intellect.

If you BELIVE that blacks are inferior to whites, then at some point your actions will reflect that belief, even if it's just something you say. That is an action.

If you BELIEVE that being a pedophile is ok, then most certainly your actions will reflect that belief.

If you BELIEVE that someone who doesn't share your belief in God will suffer eternal damnation, and the result of this belief causes divisiveness, then this mindset, this action, was caused by your beliefs.

If you BELIEVE homosexuality is unacceptable, then any action you take to limit the rights of homosexuals is an action taken because of your belief.

What the hell, do you live in a figgin cave, that you don't understand how beliefs affect our actions?
Not seeing the scientific evidence to support your mythical claims above.

Dismissed! Next!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Servers are underpaid, and they work hard for their money. We all have bad days, and I won't be the one to punish a person for having one. And generosity, in my view, is like virtue--its own reward. BTW, I always pay for meals with a credit card, but I prefer to leave a cash tip--that way it ends up where I want it; some restaurant owner/managers cheat their staff.
I do the same, tip with cash. The pizza guy a always polite and pretty quick. He knows that he'll get a $10 tip no matter what, so long as he's polite.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you.
Not everyone does.
Ergo...debatable.
You seem to think your opinion is the only one that matters.
No.

My opinion is all that matters.

You can call it "RR Law".

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Of course you still think that all Christians churches are alike. Wanna narrow it down to a few churches or just one?
Just the Christian church.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Check out Harvest Christian Fellowship, here in Riverside. It's the eighth largest Christian church in America. Yup, in "dusty" Riverside, as Feltcher puts it.
No thanks. But if they have released an independent audit that you can produce, I'll take a look at that.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
If you haven't gotten [my point] by now, you likely never will.
That's probably correct.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you.
Not everyone does.
Ergo...debatable.
You seem to think your opinion is the only one that matters.
does he ever think that his is the only opinion that matters.

but a perfect example of the dangers of the christian faith

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
At least three theist posters are savaging Harris based on a misrepresentation of one or two comments that I don't believe actually offends any of them. Does anybody really believe that the viper nanoanomaly wouldn't kill half of this thread for their beliefs? Riverside Redneck worships a god that tortures for eternity for thoughts, and Buck seems to hate Harris' thoughts enough to want to smash his face. So all of this outrage at Harris and thought crimes seems a tad insincere.
So what are they all really so angry at him for if not the comment they continually redirect us to? It must be all of the rest, which suggests that Harris' arguments are hitting home with believers as well. I admire the man tremendously:
This is the kind of thing that they really object to:
“Religion tells us that sin is what justifies eternal punishment in the next life…this is, to my mind, the mother of all cultural war issues. This is where science really pulls the keystone out of religion. If you recall the general picture, we’ve all inherited original sin because Adam and Eve misused their free will. For eons, God gave us no guidance whatsoever. Then he wrote a few uneven books that were filled with rumors of ancient miracles. And then he holds us responsible for the slightest doubt we have about his existence on the basis of these books — though he has stacked the deck against us by giving us a faculty of reason and strangely, an ability to write better books than the ones he has supposedly written.”– Sam Harris
"The god that our neighbors believe ...[has] got galaxy upon galaxy to attend to, but he’s especially concerned with what we do, and he’s especially concerned with what we do while naked.”– Sam Harris
"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove they should value it? If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" - Sam Harris
“The problem with fascism and communism, however, is not that they are too critical of religion; the problem is that they are too much like religions. Such regimes are dogmatic to the core and generally give rise to personality cults that are indistinguishable from cults of religious hero worship ... There is no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable.”- Sam Harris
”Just as we don’t have Christian physics … and we don’thave Muslim algebra … we at some point will not have Christian or Muslim morality." – Sam Harris
“George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd.”– Sam Harris
You forgot one:

“Some beliefs are so dangerous that it may be ethical to kill people for believing them”

-Sam Harris
EXPERT

Redding, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>'Zactly
Wow! 2 syllables, your doing just fine today.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
According to the insane Harris, it may be ethical to kill me for any of those beliefs.

Would you agree with him?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Elli May was Buck's wet dream.
Let's hope Mae Pearl never finds out.
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying it was wrong to kill Osama Bin Laden for his beliefs?
Or maybe it was necessary to have done so?
Members of Al Qaeda are acting on sincere religious beliefs. So you think it is wrong to kill them?
Just asking. Interested in just how consistent your POV is.
Bin Laden wasn't killed for his beliefs, he was killed for his actions you dumb ass retard.
EXPERT

Redding, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>I noticed. And you misrepresented him there. His comment included the word "may," which none of Harris' critics here including you seems to have noticed.

Do any of us know what he would answer if asked about that today? It could be something like, "I used to be unsure whether there could be a circumstance wherein it would be appropriate to kill somebody for a belief, but after years of further consideration, I have decided that there is none." That would not be inconsistent with his earlier comment. Would that change anything for you if it were his opinion?
Slow down...or is it just me?

To murder an innocent person...

Or,

Appropriate to kill somebody for a belief...

Wouldn't that be two different arguments?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bin Laden wasn't killed for his beliefs, he was killed for his actions you dumb ass retard.
Bin Laden didn't perform any actions. He just recited hate speeches.
Not much different than many Topix Christians.

Note: Charles Manson never killed a single person.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
My opinion is all that matters.
You can call it "RR Law".
I thought that was Buck's Law.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. Right. And according to you, there is no link whatsoever between belief and action.

So you think we should leave all those Al Qaeda members alone until they actually do something based on their beliefs?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Talking some sense into you people... 20 min Cujo 27
What does "Atheism" mean? 47 min Buck Crick 13
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 1 hr Carchar king 4
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Carchar king 243
Introducing The Universal Religion 2 hr Patrick 734
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 17 hr Patrick 385
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) Sun DonPanic 21,400
•••
•••