Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#217340 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember when Feltcher1 used to be funny, witty and not always up in your face?
No, neither do I.
There is a sort of atheist fan club around Hiding, because she has some academic bonafides in biology and anthropology. She's not very bright, from a logical and rhetorical standpoint. But she's able to swing around a lot of technical jargon, which impresses them.

She and I have a long history. We went at it for weeks on Intelligent Design.

I beat her till her hide wouldn't hold corn shucks, and forced her to retract half the assertions she made about the science of ID.

She'll take the opposite of any position I take, just for spite. Fun stuff.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#217341 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
• Killing a man for his beliefs cannot be justified.
Agree?
So you are saying God was wrong to tell people to kill an entire village if one person in it believed in a different god? Or is killing an entire village for one man's belief justified?

See Deuteronomy 13:13-19.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#217342 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Beliefs are not actions. Actions are not beliefs. While it's true that our actions can be based on our beliefs and vice versa, the two are totally different things.
• Killing a man for actions can be justified.
• Killing a man for his beliefs cannot be justified.
Agree?
2. Harris is talking about his opinion that beliefs, propositions, can be so dangerous to others, a preemptive murder is justifiable to save others. As I said, that's tantamount to insanity. I can see no justifiable reason to kill someone for their thoughts, beliefs, ideas, propositions, plans, etc.
Your analysis is 100% accurate.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#217343 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I thought RR got the better of the exchange. HFY's defense of Harris was preposterous.
As for me, I annihilated her as usual.
Give RR a hug for me, will you?

And tell me, with Dave's departure, is the Redneck now the second smartest person on the thread?

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#217344 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an idiot. My quotes, and those of David Barton, conveyed the exact same meaning as the original. And they would not be "misquotes" even if they did not. They would be a fallacy of deleted context, which has a name I cannot recall at this moment.
I read Harris' whole quote, which is out of context, according to you, which makes it a "misquote", according to you. To avoid being a misquote, it would have to quote the whole book, according to you.
He suggests killing for thoughts is justifiable. I suggested killing in response to actions is justifiable.
Not the same thing. Endeavor to be less of an idiot.
BS...pure and simple. But you will never see it. Something is broken in your brain. Likely an extreme version of antiprocess.

In other words, it goes in one ear and out the other.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#217345 Mar 6, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
RR, YOU cherry pick the Bible. Every Christian I have ever met does.
While the majority of Christians don;t know anything about the Bible or Christianity, Topix Christ-Stains like RR and others nake stuff up and pass it off as "The word of God".

In reality, these Topix Christians are pretending to be God themselves.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#217346 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Your analysis is 100% accurate.
So you agree, when God ordered the killing of people because of their belief he was wrong.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#217347 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember when Feltcher1 used to be funny, witty and not always up in your face?
No, neither do I.
That's because your memory is weak.

And the the result is that you continually change the facts in your stories.

This is what happened to you with the circumstances of your violence toward a six-month-old baby, your physical attack on your wife, and your assault with a club on a helpless motorist.

Fortunately for the rest of us, you wrote what you wrote and we remember what you wrote.

Have you dusted yourself off yet, as I advised?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#217348 Mar 6, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying God was wrong to tell people to kill an entire village if one person in it believed in a different god? Or is killing an entire village for one man's belief justified?
See Deuteronomy 13:13-19.
There you go nit picking again.....

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#217349 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a sort of atheist fan club around Hiding, because she has some academic bonafides in biology and anthropology. She's not very bright, from a logical and rhetorical standpoint. But she's able to swing around a lot of technical jargon, which impresses them.
She and I have a long history. We went at it for weeks on Intelligent Design.
I beat her till her hide wouldn't hold corn shucks, and forced her to retract half the assertions she made about the science of ID.
She'll take the opposite of any position I take, just for spite. Fun stuff.
The science of Intelligent Design.

Justice Scalia.

Two of my favorite oxymorons.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#217350 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What better justice for killing a known terrorist is killing him?
If we resort to this, then governments can kill anyone without trial and say anything was the reason.
Cowboy justice only works under very extreme circumstances , as there is much potential for the abuse and circumvention of justice than there is the application of justice.
Which in short means that desperate measures only work in desperate situations, and they should never become normal.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#217351 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Your analysis is 100% accurate.
Thanks, man.

I knew you'd come around.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#217352 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a sort of atheist fan club around Hiding, because she has some academic bonafides in biology and anthropology. She's not very bright, from a logical and rhetorical standpoint. But she's able to swing around a lot of technical jargon, which impresses them.
She and I have a long history. We went at it for weeks on Intelligent Design.
I beat her till her hide wouldn't hold corn shucks, and forced her to retract half the assertions she made about the science of ID.
She'll take the opposite of any position I take, just for spite. Fun stuff.
I don't have the patience for Hiding. I stick with the dumber cats like IANS, BenAssFucked, Feltcher & Dilbert.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#217353 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Killing an armed fugitive while attempting to apprehend is one thing.
A policy of killing them for what you think they are thinking is quite another.
Exactly my point, you see we can agree on some things.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#217354 Mar 6, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because your memory is weak.
And the the result is that you continually change the facts in your stories.
This is what happened to you with the circumstances of your violence toward a six-month-old baby, your physical attack on your wife, and your assault with a club on a helpless motorist.
Fortunately for the rest of us, you wrote what you wrote and we remember what you wrote.
Have you dusted yourself off yet, as I advised?
Why do you add in the "helpless" before motorist? What makes you assume he was helpless? Maybe because you assume I overpowered him to the point of freezing his nerves or something...

Either way, you're a disgusting liar and a whiny little boy.

Give me that coveted Feltcher white sheet anytime you're ready.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#217355 Mar 6, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because your memory is weak.
And the the result is that you continually change the facts in your stories.
This is what happened to you with the circumstances of your violence toward a six-month-old baby, your physical attack on your wife, and your assault with a club on a helpless motorist.
Fortunately for the rest of us, you wrote what you wrote and we remember what you wrote.
Have you dusted yourself off yet, as I advised?
RR is a scumbag.
He has proved it over and over here.
He is a "Real Christian"

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#217356 Mar 6, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> If we resort to this, then governments can kill anyone without trial and say anything was the reason.
Cowboy justice only works under very extreme circumstances , as there is much potential for the abuse and circumvention of justice than there is the application of justice.
Which in short means that desperate measures only work in desperate situations, and they should never become normal.
It isn't cowboy justice, it's warfare.

In war, there needs to be no trial.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#217357 Mar 6, 2014
http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/fake-arre...

Wow. Just wow.

Ohio ministers, with the help of sheriff's deputies, stage fake arrests to prove how persecuted Christians are.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#217358 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see how long you can hold your breath.
Go.
I'm a trumpet player, brass players are known for their great lung capacity, I'll start now and let you know when I have to take a breath, go get some possum pie and some moonshine, this could take awhile.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#217359 Mar 6, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
http://www.ohio.com/news/break -news/fake-arrests-of-pastors- cause-real-grief-for-summit-co unty-sheriff-1.470836
Wow. Just wow.
Ohio ministers, with the help of sheriff's deputies, stage fake arrests to prove how persecuted Christians are.
Did you just read the headline? The sheriffs and the pastors all participated together and the "arrests" were simulated arrests, practicing for a play.

From your link:

On Tuesday, Barry [Summit County Sheriff] issued a news release explaining that his deputies are not “bad guys” who interrupted church services to arrest local pastors. Instead, the arrests were simulated as a prelude to an upcoming production at the Akron Civic Theatre.

“I want to clarify that none of the arrests were real. It was all part of a skit that went along with the pastors’ sermons that day,” Barry said.“I knew it was being filmed, but I thought it was only going to be shown to the congregation. Once it got out there on the Web, people were commenting about how disgusting we were to interrupt church services to effect an arrest.”

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Dogen 81,926
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 11 hr Science 2,206
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Sat Science 33,086
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Oct 18 Eagle 12 - 3,978
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Oct 11 old_moose 233
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) Oct 10 blacklagoon 3 94
Deconversion (Feb '17) Oct 10 Eagle 12 - 145
More from around the web