Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#216996 Mar 5, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
How do I decide?
I don’t decide but remain skeptical of imaginary sciences. Sciences based on guesses and speculation wrapped up in a nice complex worded document or journal.
Just because a so called science article, journal, or document has a dump truck of convoluted words doesn’t mean I believe in it.
And therein lies your insurmountable problem, you DON'T decide whether or not something is true or not, that way you never have to face the fact that the God you believe in is not real but only something imagined.

You don't care whether or not your beliefs are true, you just believe them because they feel good to you. Not a very intelligent criteria for dealing with reality.

The fact that you view scientific explanations as a dump truck of convoluted words, speaks volumes to your understanding of those words. You don't believe them because you don't know what they mean, and as you have demonstrated time and time again, you have no idea how science works. Being willfully ignorant is the one inexcusable human trait.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#216997 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
1. I don't care what you think.
B. I don't care what you think.
3. I don't care what you think.
1.) he proved you to be a liar
2.) he proved you to be a liar
3.) he proved you to be a liar
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#216998 Mar 5, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Not seeing the scientific evidence to support your mythical claims above.
Dismissed! Next!
So sorry to see you live in a complete vacuum, how DO you navigate through life on a daily basis?

Take the extra time and look up the word mythical.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#216999 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You truly are one of the dumbest people I've ever known.
At least you're not claiming dinosaurs didn't have DNA, though...
So you think Manson killed someone ?

Damn, your brain damage is extensive.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#217000 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Churches across America are as different and unique as the people across America.
What church? Or are you suggesting we check an independent financial audit of an ideology?
So which are "Real Christians" and which is the "Real Church " ?

RR babble in 3... 2.... 1...
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#217001 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the insane Harris, it may be ethical to kill me for any of those beliefs.
Would you agree with him?
Unfortunately, but not surprising, you have no idea of the context of Harris's statement. You take something he said that pervert its meaning to suit your agenda. Thats not only dishonest and desperate, but stupid.

Non of the beliefs I stated would be considered dangerous by themselves, but if taken to the extreme could be considered dangerous.

But please do keep up your childish tactics, it's highly entertaining.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#217002 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bin Laden wasn't killed for his beliefs, he was killed for his actions you dumb ass retard.
His beliefs INFORMED his actions dumbass.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#217003 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the insane Harris, it may be ethical to kill me for any of those beliefs.
Would you agree with him?
Why do you ask such difficult questions?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#217004 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You truly are one of the dumbest people I've ever known.
At least you're not claiming dinosaurs didn't have DNA, though...
Prior to 1869 no none on the face of the planet knew that DNA existed, as far as science was concerned DNA did not exist until it was discovered in 1869 by Johann Friedrich-Mieschur.

There was also a time when no one on the face of the planet knew that microorganisms existed, as far as science was concerned microorganisms did not exist until they were discovered.

So you claim that I said dinosaurs "didn't" have DNA is a complete lie. Not uncommon for you to lie your ass off.

I now challenge you to cut and paste the portion of my post where I "claimed Dinosaurs didn't have DNA."

I dar ya assclown, I double dare ya to post it. It MUST contain these exact words "Dinosaurs didn't have DNA."

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#217005 Mar 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying it was wrong to kill Osama Bin Laden for his beliefs?
Or maybe it was necessary to have done so?
Members of Al Qaeda are acting on sincere religious beliefs. So you think it is wrong to kill them?
Just asking. Interested in just how consistent your POV is.
He and other members of their terrorist organization were killed because they were enemy combatants who participate in acts of terrorism against the USA and other countries.
Their religion had nothing to do with that, other than they believed in committing international crimes of murder, mayhem, extortion , torture, kidnapping , etc.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#217006 Mar 5, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Bin Laden didn't perform any actions. He just recited hate speeches.
Not much different than many Topix Christians.
Note: Charles Manson never killed a single person.
Bin Laden performed actions, you moron. He was on an international terrorist wanted list - wanted for crimes.

What you say is like saying Hitler didn't put any Jews in ovens.

The purulent idiocy on this thread nauseates me. And I am someone who has bitten the heads off live chickens.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#217007 Mar 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. Right. And according to you, there is no link whatsoever between belief and action.
So you think we should leave all those Al Qaeda members alone until they actually do something based on their beliefs?
If they are Al Qaeda, they have already done something. They are soldiers who have sworn to a war against the United States, and an enemy in war is killed justifiably.

That's not a thought, and it is not what Sam Harris was referring to. Moron.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#217008 Mar 5, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think Manson killed someone ?
Damn, your brain damage is extensive.
If you tell someone to kill someone, and they kill that person.
You're just as guilty of murder as the murderer.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#217009 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for sharing your beliefs.
<quoted text>
What isn't?
<quoted text>
I don't like the term 'no offense' when someone's about to say done thing offensive, so I won't.
Fuckyou, I can practice my religion anywhere I want, not just in my home.
You can do whatever you want. The damaging parts of your religion needs to be attacked and removed - especially the gross ignorance you personally continue to spread.

Some stable somewhere

#217010 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Bull. The theory of evolution states that all life came from one life, the common ancestor. That cannot be tested
<quoted text>
Can it be tested?
Has it been tested?
I'd love to see your results.
It's been tested over and over. The information is available for anyone who can read - and there's no excuse for the kind of stupidity and ignorance you, and other religious people, continue to espouse.

Some stable somewhere

#217011 Mar 5, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
WARNING
If we object to the Redneck's claim, be careful.
He has a tendency to become violent.
Good. It just demonstrates his character more and doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Hi Catch! I hope you are well :)

Some stable somewhere

#217012 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
BOOM! There it is.
You wanna talk about how the Bible instructs to kill and them take Harris' advice and kill me before I have a chance to kill.
You're a fucking lunatic. The Bible does not instruct a Christian to kill. But you and the other Harris followers will interpret it the way they want in order to justify murder and, given the proper authority, genocide.
Your mythological text orders genocides and murders all throughout the older parts of it.

Some stable somewhere

#217013 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If I believed it, Harris and his ilk would back you for killing me.
That's a stupid comment.

How can you be this stupid?

Some stable somewhere

#217014 Mar 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
This is, actually, incorrect. ToE only points to the diversification of life and how that happens. The existence of a LUCA is a likely conclusion given the similarities we see in existing life. It is not an axiom as you are saying.
And, no, "that pesky common ancestor thingymabob remains undetected and likely is undetectable. That's one big giant fuckingguess" is not a guess. It just so happens that we have very very little geology that dates back farther than 3 billion years. And microbes don't fossilize well at all. Put these two facts together and it is likely we will never have fossil evidence of the earliest life. Is this so hard to grasp?
RR has been told this over and over. He doesn't care anything about science or learning how science actually works, he just wants to put his ignorance on display.

Some stable somewhere

#217015 Mar 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
RR probably thinks that fossils are the only way of testing for LUCA. This just shows RR's lack of imagination.
RR doesn't know the first thing about fossils. I explained to him just how much information we can pull from fossils once and a few months later he was making the same stupid claims about them.

He needs his blinders on - it's the only way for him to maintain his religious belief system.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 min Eagle 12 - 79,987
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) 5 hr Um_because_facts 103
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) 6 hr Um_because_facts 92
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 22 hr River Tam 32,582
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) Fri blacklagoon 3 62
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
what science will NEVER be able to prove Sep 15 Me _ Myself _ I 8
More from around the web