Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258478 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#216891 Mar 5, 2014
Oh, and just to point out, R (the real number line) is a covering space of S^1. R is infinite, S^1 is finite. The covering is given by

R/Z = S^1

(This is somewhat a restatement of what I have said before because the path mapped by

x = cos t
y = sin t
t =-infinity to infinity

gives the same result as R/Z. The mapping given is precisely R/2piZ.)

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#216892 Mar 5, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Considering one FACT that beliefs inform our actions, then Harris was correct. You're trying to separate beliefs, from actions taken on those beliefs. Everyone takes some kind of action based on their beliefs, it's a question of how these action effect others. In the case of the 9/11 people, they're actions killed many. As do the actions of those who strap bombs to themselves and kill innocent people.
Negative, sir.

Actions and beliefs are completely different.

Considering it ethical to kill people for considering their belief to be dangerous is tantamount to insanity.

You continue to bring up actions and not beliefs. If the Muslims that attacked us on 9-11 only believed that they should, Harris and you would still think it ethical to kill them for having that belief.

You're all fuckingcrazy.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216893 Mar 5, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
It's very nonsensical.
I reject positive atheism also, as an agnostic atheist.
I could then define agnostic atheism in the same terms that you have just used to define theism, rendering both definitions pretty meaningless.
There's no such thing as an agnostic atheist, so...
I would like children to believe things that are most likely true, for good reasons. That means teaching them rational skepticism, which can be done without the use of bait or manipulative techniques.
"I want to believe as many true things as possible and as few false things as possible." ~Matt Dillahunty
Anyone who shares that sentiment would be wise to follow rational skepticism.
And just who determines, for you, what things are "mostly true"?

Lemme guess, things rational skeptics say.

Don't try to dodge around it, Tide. You have your own version of indoctrination.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216894 Mar 5, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe in all of the human imagined deities?
Nope, I don't believe in any imagined deity.

#216895 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No it isn't debate. Mormons are Christians.
Under your definition. Even under mine. But there are people that define them as not being Christians. Thus, "debatable". Are Mormons Christian?

The Mormons say "yes".

http://mormon.org/faq/mormon-christian

Some other Christians say "no".

http://carm.org/is-mormonism-christian

So, yes, there is a debate.(Note: my personal position on this is..."If someone calls himself a Christian then he is a Christian". The second link is to a person that believes there are stricter (theological) requirements to being a Christian. His main argument is that Mormons do not believe in a monotheistic god, but in many gods.)

Whether Christian or not, the Mormons have some really weird beliefs. Even weird by normal Christian standards.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#216896 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
By Harris' thinking, you could kill me just for thinking about shooting you.
<quoted text>
If I believed it, Harris and his ilk would back you for killing me.
Between IS and NOT is a proposition called MAYBE.

First, dichotomousaurus, you need to comprehend that the statement you've been quoting falls into the MAYBE category, not the IS category. At every opportunity, you have misrepresented Harris' suggestion.

Second, you aren't qualified to make ethical determinations on behalf of someone else, who you do not understand. You're too simple minded, and you follow a kind of rule book morality, albeit loosely.

Beliefs that are firmly held, and highly prioritized, are the ones people act on predictably. Knowing what other people believe may allow us to predict, to varying degrees of accuracy and confidence, how they will respond to various situations. This allows us to to interact with them in ways that we hope will influence the course of events to our favor. What people believe, and what we know about what other people believe, is very relevant how we make decisions, especially our most important ones.

What Harris said is not outrageous or vile. You should google "ethical dilemmas".

#216897 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Actions and beliefs are completely different.
This from the guy linking Christianity to charity.

Consistency isn't your strong suit, is it.

#216898 Mar 5, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Between IS and NOT is a proposition called MAYBE.
First, dichotomousaurus, you need to comprehend that the statement you've been quoting falls into the MAYBE category, not the IS category. At every opportunity, you have misrepresented Harris' suggestion.
Second, you aren't qualified to make ethical determinations on behalf of someone else, who you do not understand. You're too simple minded, and you follow a kind of rule book morality, albeit loosely.
Beliefs that are firmly held, and highly prioritized, are the ones people act on predictably. Knowing what other people believe may allow us to predict, to varying degrees of accuracy and confidence, how they will respond to various situations. This allows us to to interact with them in ways that we hope will influence the course of events to our favor. What people believe, and what we know about what other people believe, is very relevant how we make decisions, especially our most important ones.
What Harris said is not outrageous or vile. You should google "ethical dilemmas".
RR hits women and children. I am not sure he is qualified to comment on anything dealing with ethics or morality.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#216899 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>There's no such thing as an agnostic atheist, so...
It isn't a new development.

"The atheist may however be, and not infrequently is, an agnostic. There is an agnostic atheism or atheistic agnosticism, and the combination of atheism with agnosticism which may be so named is not an uncommon one" - Robert Flint, in his Croall Lecture of 1887–1888

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216900 Mar 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Under your definition. Even under mine. But there are people that define them as not being Christians. Thus, "debatable". Are Mormons Christian?
The Mormons say "yes".
http://mormon.org/faq/mormon-christian
Some other Christians say "no".
http://carm.org/is-mormonism-christian
So, yes, there is a debate.(Note: my personal position on this is..."If someone calls himself a Christian then he is a Christian". The second link is to a person that believes there are stricter (theological) requirements to being a Christian. His main argument is that Mormons do not believe in a monotheistic god, but in many gods.)
Whether Christian or not, the Mormons have some really weird beliefs. Even weird by normal Christian standards.
Mormons, technically known as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, are a Christian denomination.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#216901 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, I don't believe in any imagined deity.
When you can provide evidence or proof of that, lemme know.

Location hidden

#216902 Mar 5, 2014
River Tam wrote:
You said infinite. Now you've done it.
There's a pizza on the way. I got unlimited toppings.

It cost $2,000 plus tax.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#216904 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, just waitresses.
Did you know that "TIP" is an acronym? It means "To Insure Promptness".
If your server isn't prompt, they don't get a damn tip.
I always tip. Even lousy service gets some tip.

Unlike you? I have empathy for others.

You just treat others as if they were your slaves.

Classic Genuine Christhole™ behavior too-- I bet you leave those bible things instead of money, don't you?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#216905 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Mormons, technically known as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, are a Christian denomination.
So, they are nuts too?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216906 Mar 5, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
When you can provide evidence or proof of that, lemme know.
I'm overburdened.

&sn s=em

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216907 Mar 5, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I always tip. Even lousy service gets some tip.
Unlike you? I have empathy for others.
You just treat others as if they were your slaves.
Classic Genuine Christhole™ behavior too-- I bet you leave those bible things instead of money, don't you?
I only tip servers that earn a tip. If they ignore me or don't give good service, they haven't earned a tip. I'm not PC, remember?

Yesterday, Mrs RR & I went to breakfast,$22. The waitress was very attentive and caring, she got a $5 tip, that's over 20%.

I didn't even use a tip calculator.

Location hidden

#216908 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Humanists and secularists do not control the US government. The vast majority of the government is, and always has been, run by Christians.
Fortunately for all of us, that will soon change.

Of course, I was speaking about the influence of humanism on Christianity, which has made it less Biblical and mo better.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#216909 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I only tip servers that earn a tip. If they ignore me or don't give good service, they haven't earned a tip. I'm not PC, remember?
Yesterday, Mrs RR & I went to breakfast,$22. The waitress was very attentive and caring, she got a $5 tip, that's over 20%.
I didn't even use a tip calculator.
So, basically, as long as they behave as a good little slave, you "reward" them with a paltry payment.

Typical Genuine Christian™-- you have all the empathy of a rock.

It's as I've come to expect from the likes of you.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#216910 Mar 5, 2014
On my previous post about false and faked scientific papers in circulation.

We all appreciate scientific research and discoveries. But not everything in print under “science” is legitimate. It may look legit because of the complexity of the word choice and sentence structure. But a real closer look by an expert reveals something else, complex garble.

The fact remains there’s a lot of fake science information floating around in journals. Sometimes the fake science articles are found. Then sometimes they go on for decades without being noticed. You can bet there’s some that haven’t been found to date.

History has shown that some of this faked science has make it’s way into student textbooks. If you have 100% faith in science you might want to back up and take a second look. Because science is contaminated with frauds and fakes.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#216911 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No it isn't debate. Mormons are Christians.
Do you believe about your deity what Mormons believe about theirs?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min 15th Dalai Lama 77,038
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 23 min Eagle 12 - 851
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 45 min Regolith Based Li... 32,250
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 6 hr Dogen 4,321
Religion sux ? 8 hr ban all cults 2
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... (Dec '16) 18 hr Frindly 291
hell is a real place. so.. ahtiesm is a faux li... Sun Eagle 12 - 12
More from around the web