Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247347 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

YellowStar

Saint Paul, MN

#216452 Mar 3, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry YS atheism is about already convinced , you're confusing things here.
Science makes no claims of anything that cannot be tested.
Oh, BTW, science has yet to adequately explain human consciousness....which can be tested but not to the scientific standard in order to completely explain it and it's dynamics.

“The Edge”

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#216453 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bull. The theory of evolution states that all life came from one life, the common ancestor. That cannot be tested, but it's taught as if it's an indisputable fact.
There are many examples of scientific claims that are either untested or untestable.
Wrong Ar Ar the theory states life arose from a common ancestor, the LUCA is under investigation, the fact that it hasn't been found doesn't make it untestable.
It only means we have followed the trail to where the tracks are washed away.
So far the theory holds true up to this point, if it is found there wasn't a LUCA the theory would have to be revised. But far from being taught as undisputed fact, all facts of science are under dispute and are falsifiable. Exactly opposite of what you are saying.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#216454 Mar 3, 2014
Anon wrote:
Zuckerberg only donated 3% of his income to the tune of $970 million.
What a cheap bastard, huh?
3% is 3%. That is kinda cheap, yeah.

Put it in perspective, if your income is $35,000, 3% is a thousand bucks. Big deal.

Or a different perspective: Zuckerberg has $30 billion. Change that to $30, could you spare 9 cents to donate to charity?
Buffett donated only 5% in the amount of 2.6 billion.

Since he's got $60 billion, yes $2.6 is cheap, too.
I have no idea what you're talking about concerning Bill Gates,
I know you don't. I also know you couldn't find any info from the googlers.
but coming from you it's probably misinformation, and I have to leave for a meeting.
Not too shabby for amoral, misguided atheists, huh? Don't forget, I haven't included Bill Gates.
Always the skeptic....

"Gates is $9.8 billion richer since the start of 2013, according to Bloomberg's Billionaire Index."

According to records, Gates donates $4.6 billion per year between 2007-2012.

Donates 4.6. Earns 9.8.

Imagine that.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bill-gates-ric...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216455 Mar 3, 2014
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
At best this would make Christians charitable. Certainly doesn't prove Christianity is correct or that atheists require some kind of faith.
The title here is a question, "Atheism requires as much faith as religion?" I'd have to answer no, religion requires more faith.

But atheism, the belief that deities don't exist, is not proven in any way whatsoever. To believe that requires faith, trust, belief.

“The Edge”

Of Tomorow

#216456 Mar 3, 2014
YellowStar wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, you're confused.
Science is a process, Science is still learning knew things, yet you are already convinced you know. Some people have to "know" in order to sleep soundly at night and some people do not.
If you "knew" and were convinced you knew then you wouldn't waste your time here arguing with people who don't know but think they do, you would have moved on with your life having certainty in mind and no need to argue about any of it.
NEXT!
I never claimed to be convinced ,and the only things I argue is science vs theological claims.
Such as people who claim genesis is an accurate depiction of the creation of Earth, which s very silly. But I agree to argue about whether of not there is a god is silly too, but then we can argue the bible rendition or the Hebrew god Yahweh / Jehovah is mythology can't we.

“The Edge”

Of Tomorow

#216457 Mar 3, 2014
YellowStar wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, BTW, science has yet to adequately explain human consciousness....which can be tested but not to the scientific standard in order to completely explain it and it's dynamics.
That's changing from a academic standard, of course from a philosophical pov anything can be argued forever.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216458 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Bull. The theory of evolution states that all life came from one life, the common ancestor.
Aura Mytha wrote:
Wrong Ar Ar the theory states life arose from a common ancestor {SNIP}
Um....

“The Edge”

Of Tomorow

#216459 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Bull. The theory of evolution states that all life came from one life, the common ancestor.
<quoted text>
Um....
It's not taught as undisputed fact , nothing in science is undisputed fact.
EXPERT

Redding, CA

#216460 Mar 3, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>I never claimed to be convinced ,and the only things I argue is science vs theological claims.
Such as people who claim genesis is an accurate depiction of the creation of Earth, which s very silly. But I agree to argue about whether of not there is a god is silly too, but then we can argue the bible rendition or the Hebrew god Yahweh / Jehovah is mythology can't we.
You are a coward and my 8!tch

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
YellowStar

Saint Paul, MN

#216461 Mar 3, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I never claimed to be convinced ,and the only things I argue is science vs theological claims.
You can do whatever you wan't, that is the beauty of being free...., free to pass the time and entertain yourself however you see fit....so long as it doesn't impinge on someone else's freedom to do the same. I have no beef with that.

“The Edge”

Of Tomorow

#216462 Mar 3, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a coward and my 8!tch
Yep and you're a ™¼ watt enlightened christard self licking ice cream cone.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#216463 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you get this:
97% of that 32% pays for mundane administrative costs
??
Just as I said.

3% of the money that goes in the collection plate, on the national average, ends up outside the church itself on so-called "missions and outreach".

That leaves what?

97%. That's how much of "charitable giving", on average, pays for nothing but salaries, insurance, heat, light, maintenance - administrative costs of the church.

Like I said, this argument of yours, that gets trotted out endlessly by Xtians and conservatives alike, glosses over the fact that 97% of Christian "charitable giving" supports the church, NOT a bona fide charity.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216464 Mar 3, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not taught as undisputed fact , nothing in science is undisputed fact.
Oh don't give me that. When was the last time you looked at a high school science book? I've got two kids in high school and there are many things that their science teacher (and book) teaches as fact.

Some of it is fact, some of it is conjecture, like the mysterious and yet undiscovered common ancestor.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216465 Mar 3, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Just as I said.
3% of the money that goes in the collection plate, on the national average, ends up outside the church itself on so-called "missions and outreach".
That leaves what?
97%. That's how much of "charitable giving", on average, pays for nothing but salaries, insurance, heat, light, maintenance - administrative costs of the church.
Like I said, this argument of yours, that gets trotted out endlessly by Xtians and conservatives alike, glosses over the fact that 97% of Christian "charitable giving" supports the church, NOT a bona fide charity.
Again, where did you get this information, other than your Topix Atheist! imagination?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#216466 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh don't give me that. When was the last time you looked at a high school science book? I've got two kids in high school and there are many things that their science teacher (and book) teaches as fact.
Some of it is fact, some of it is conjecture, like the mysterious and yet undiscovered common ancestor.
You should have home-schooled them.

HAHAHAHAHA

Get it?
YellowStar

Saint Paul, MN

#216467 Mar 3, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Just as I said.
That leaves what?
Well, ya need to look good, live good, have nice facilities, drive nice cars, and get your message out using everything including media and show how well God has rewarded you for preaching the word if ya want to attract a more members to your church....... to pay for it all. God's word don't come cheap.

I mean, who's gonna listen and donate money to some guy driving a 74 pinto preaching love, fellowship, and brotherhood in the basement of some hall? You might just as well listen to some long haired hippy wearing robes and riding around on a donkey saying the same stuff and being ridiculed for it.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#216468 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, where did you get this information, other than your Topix Atheist! imagination?
Now that's odd. You zip off all these factoids at your fingertips when you want them - why is it you can't seem to confirm (or refute) this simple fact?

I get this from my days as a Christian, when I served in church administration. I could tell you what the figures were at my church, right down to the individual if wanted, and how these numbers contrasted against the national average. Any church administrator could do the same, if they're any good at their job. It is vital to planning and budget-setting. The fact is, the average for "tithing" is something less than 3% of income

By th way, you cite a 10% tithe - nothing in the NT supports that assertion, and, when it's convenient, you claim the OT doesn't apply to Xtians. So there's another of your "factoids" you threw out there with no real number backup, which you then disparagingly contrasted against the REAL percentages of Buffet, Gates, et al.

Never mind the actual numbers if they overtask your factoid bank - The long and short of it is that the vast majority of so-called "Christian charitable donations" go to internal church functions, NOT external charity. Contrast that against Buffet's numbers now.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216470 Mar 3, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Now that's odd. You zip off all these factoids at your fingertips when you want them - why is it you can't seem to confirm (or refute) this simple fact?
I get this from my days as a Christian, when I served in church administration. I could tell you what the figures were at my church, right down to the individual if wanted, and how these numbers contrasted against the national average. Any church administrator could do the same, if they're any good at their job. It is vital to planning and budget-setting. The fact is, the average for "tithing" is something less than 3% of income
By th way, you cite a 10% tithe - nothing in the NT supports that assertion, and, when it's convenient, you claim the OT doesn't apply to Xtians. So there's another of your "factoids" you threw out there with no real number backup, which you then disparagingly contrasted against the REAL percentages of Buffet, Gates, et al.
Never mind the actual numbers if they overtask your factoid bank - The long and short of it is that the vast majority of so-called "Christian charitable donations" go to internal church functions, NOT external charity. Contrast that against Buffet's numbers now.
Oh.

Well your personal experience means nothing as far as the whole of Christian charity goes.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216471 Mar 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You should have home-schooled them.
HAHAHAHAHA
Get it?
No.

I don't get dork humor.

Off the the Jim.

You can have this thread mañana, I'm taking a day.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#216472 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The title here is a question, "Atheism requires as much faith as religion?" I'd have to answer no, religion requires more faith.
But atheism, the belief that deities don't exist, is not proven in any way whatsoever. To believe that requires faith, trust, belief.
Why are you competing with Duck Pri ck for stupidest post again!?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 59 min JustASkeptic 12,591
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 1 hr JustASkeptic 14,714
Proof of God for the Atheist 2 hr Shizle 107
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 2 hr -Stray Dog 47,794
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 4 hr par five 6
News Militant Atheists are On the March 5 hr thetruth 4
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... 13 hr thetruth 59
More from around the web