Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256652 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#216596 Mar 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Planned Parenthood.
There are even people that are upset with their taxes being spent on public roads.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#216597 Mar 4, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
You have any scientific evidence to support that? Because if you don't then you won't accept it, right?
Of course I do, there are polls that support that fact, there are devices that can verify if a person is telling the truth or not, and in the end logic and reason point to the fact that lying about ones belief is totally pointless, unless the person is under duress. Your welcome!!!

#216598 Mar 4, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck schools you daily!
Yet another example of the ignorant following the ignorant.

It's sad, really.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#216599 Mar 4, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>ahahahaha...like "e=mc2" disproving the supernatural?
ahahahahahhaha, that one is hilarious.
Since the supernatural does not exists it would be kind of difficult to disprove it. In the end the burden of proof is on the person that claims the supernatural exists. Would you like to give it a shot skippy? I can wait.
virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216600 Mar 4, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, but the group I was pointing at was not doing those things.
The story I related was in response to a statement along the lines, "Christians do wonderful things for others and atheists don't." I believe RR said atheists don't have soup kitchens for example.
And I didn't say that all Christians fail to help others.
And even you point to the "buying a ticket to heaven" attitude that many have. In the story I mentioned, the Christians may have thought they were scoring points with their God, but they certainly weren't doing anything to help their fellow man.
"even" me? lol

Different Christians have different motivations for charity, some is to drum up new business, the snoopy taxman, others...who knows, maybe the superstitious fear of lightning bolts, but all that is done publicly is done for the eyes of other men, not God.

My main point is that every ideology has good and bad members in them, but all you do is point out the bad ones, even going so far as to call your own mother a godbot. That was shameful. Like "her" belief ever kept you from "being" or thinking any way that you wanted to. Like her ideology kept you from making some great scientific discovery?

#216601 Mar 4, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
See? You never can refute his arguments, but I bet your ad homonym attacks work well in the playground at your school, huh?
What argument???

You think there was an argument in this???
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I called a scientist and asked him about your Infinite Donut Theory.
I told him the infinite donut guy claims to be a mathematician. And he was joined by a guy (Polymath) who claims to be a physicist.
My scientist friend responded, and I reprinted his response for you here:
As you know, from your vast experience and superior intelligence, there are dingbats in every profession. I think you probably played ball with some of them. Didn't one of your teammates shoot himself in the balls while practicing his quick-draw? Anyway, I digress.
No, Buck. I think you know very well there is no such thing in the physical world as infinity, or an infinite quantity, or an infinite measure of anything, or anything that is infinite, or anything that could possibly be infinite - now or ever. No mathematician or physicist, even the dingbats of the profession, would be dumb enough to espouse the "Infinite Donut Theory".
So they are lying to you. They are not a mathematician and a physicist. They might be phys. ed. teachers. Couldn't say. I can say they are idiots. Why don't you just kick their asses?
Your friend,
>>>xxxxxxxx, Ph.D.
I didn't see anything but delusional drivel then. I still don't now

BTW...you might want to check on the spelling of "ad hominem".

#216602 Mar 4, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Since the supernatural does not exists it would be kind of difficult to disprove it. In the end the burden of proof is on the person that claims the supernatural exists. Would you like to give it a shot skippy? I can wait.
Don't hold your breath. Nano is just a contrarian. She lives for stirring up trouble.
virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216603 Mar 4, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So "Harris is evil" By definition evil means "profoundly immoral, or malevolent. Wickedness and depravity. How does Harris fit any one of these definitions? Is it simply because you disagree with him, or do you have some concrete information that points to any of these traits?
He drools at the thought of taking away peoples' will power, handicapping their minds in any way he can conceive, and he conceives of many ways. He's a deviant and a liar, lusting after the lives of those that "he" calls liars. Apparently, he considers his own lies as harmless, unlike those people that he stereotypes. He's an ideology bigot, who cringes at the thought of minds that he can't control, a classic megalomaniac. If anyone deserves a chemical lobotomy it is him; him and those that contribute to his "cause".
virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216604 Mar 4, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't hold your breath. Nano is just a contrarian. She lives for stirring up trouble.
I'll try not to start the riots near your neighborhood, geezer.
virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216605 Mar 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, of course he is.
And he sneaks cigarettes.
If Michelle catches him, I guarantee she can whip his ass in a toe-to-toe fight.
I suspect she's always been more of a man than he is, ba'al-wise.
virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216606 Mar 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Planned Parenthood.
...and PBS, it has been leaning left with tax dollars.
OG Kush

Jacksonville, FL

#216607 Mar 4, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>Obama is a lying POS subversive, intent on destroying the entire nation's arse.
Hey don't assign any blame to me.

The highly educated population of these United States of America decided that Obama was definitely better than Sarah Palin and John McCain.

The same brilliant innovative people also decided overwhelmingly that mitt Romney was a very poor choice for president.

I don't vote anymore - there's nothing to vote for - no one to vote for.

The decks already stacked.

Less than 1% control this country. The news media today is in the infotainment - propaganda, business!

Does it really matter which parties in charge or which is more corrupt?

Do you seriously think they represent you?

Keep your money offshore like Mitt Romney.

Hide much income as you can like the wealthy - it's patriotic and very American.

Sighs...

Be careful the NSA is probably monitoring what I type right now and is already investigating you!

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#216609 Mar 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, crazy or not.
Good.

BTW - don't always think that what other people post is "crazy".

As far as I am concerned, you align with "crazy", because you continue to lie to others - repeatedly - about your half-belief in Jesus as if it was complete.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#216610 Mar 4, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So "Harris is evil" By definition evil means "profoundly immoral, or malevolent. Wickedness and depravity. How does Harris fit any one of these definitions? Is it simply because you disagree with him, or do you have some concrete information that points to any of these traits?
He advocates murder of people innocent of any wrongdoing.

If that's not evil, I'd say it gets you within hollerin' distance.

#216611 Mar 4, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Concept of infinity... Does that ring a bell?
First, Buck didn't make any argument about the concept of infinity. All he did was use his made-up silly name for some pipe dream of his. There is nothing there to rebut.

Second, Buck doesn't even begin to understand infinity. I suspect that you don't either, since you are arguing in his favor.

Here is a simple (and somewhat simplistic since it is aimed at the math illiterate) discussion of infinity...

http://www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/infinity.ht...

Location hidden

#216612 Mar 4, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Be so kind as to point out the lie you say I'm guilty of. Thanks
Claiming you are a blue baboon.

Location hidden

#216613 Mar 4, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
First, Buck didn't make any argument about the concept of infinity. All he did was use his made-up silly name for some pipe dream of his. There is nothing there to rebut.
Second, Buck doesn't even begin to understand infinity. I suspect that you don't either, since you are arguing in his favor.
Here is a simple (and somewhat simplistic since it is aimed at the math illiterate) discussion of infinity...
http://www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/infinity.ht...
I have schooled you on infinity a dozen times.

You were so confused, you agreed with me, and didn't know it. I pointed out the contradictions with calculations involving infinity, unless different terms are used. You agreed, but didn't know you agreed. You thought you had disagreed with me.

Math is fun, ain't it? Especially when you get to make a fool out of a self-proclaimed mathematician. Bwahahahahahahah...

#216614 Mar 4, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Concept of infinity... Does that ring a bell?
BTW...

Buck CLAIMS to have made straight As in calculus, yet he fails to understand this rather simple example of a path (a concept discussed in calculus)...

t = 0 to infinity

x = cos t

y = sin t

The path defines a circle of radius 1, centered on the origin. And, yes, the circle is finite (a better term is compact, but most non-math people wouldn't know that term). But the path described is of infinite length.

The length is given by...

integral (t = 0 to infinity) square root (cos^2 t + sin^2 t) dt.

Since cos^ t + sin^ t = 1, this simplifies to...

integral (t = 0 to infinity) 1 dt

Which is given by...

t (evaluated at t = 0 and t = infinity)

or

infinity - 0

which is

infinity

To be rigorous, the concept of infinity here must be dealt with using limits. Replace "infinity" with "n".

This gives you

integral (t = 0 to n) square root (cos^2 t + sin^2 t) dt = n

And as n -> infinity, the integral -> infinity. And thus, the path is of infinite length.

This is pretty basic calculus. And Buck doesn't know about it. Which put the lie to his claim of straight As in calculus. Heck, it puts the lie to his ever having been in a calculus class at all.
tricki

Douglassville, PA

#216616 Mar 4, 2014
what faith? requires absolute idiocy to reject the verified account of Christ. you have to be a total moron to ignore the proof

#216619 Mar 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I have schooled you on infinity a dozen times.
You were so confused, you agreed with me, and didn't know it. I pointed out the contradictions with calculations involving infinity, unless different terms are used. You agreed, but didn't know you agreed. You thought you had disagreed with me.
Math is fun, ain't it? Especially when you get to make a fool out of a self-proclaimed mathematician. Bwahahahahahahah...
Buck, you wouldn't know infinity if it slapped you in the face. I have shown this numerous times, but you have shown a complete lack of learning ability and outright willful ignorance.

And, BTW, your "contradictions" just prove that you don't understand infinity in any way, shape or form.

See...you did it again. Saying infinity has contradictions. Here, let me show you...
Buck Crick wrote:
I pointed out the contradictions...
Wow. Buck thinks infinity has to play by the same rules as the finite.

Let me give you a little clue, Buck (for all the good it will do). IN-finite. Meaning NOT finite.

LOL (he who laughs last laughs best)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 51 min karl44 10,143
News Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris are old news - a t... 1 hr Richardfs 86
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 18,736
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr renee 43,472
News Thousands Download Movie Proving God Exists; 'A... 4 hr Eagle 12 13
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 4 hr Eagle 12 106
Good arguments against Christianity 4 hr Eagle 12 252
A Universe from Nothing? 5 hr Into The Night 634
More from around the web