Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255177 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#216523 Mar 4, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
So your contention is that since one person scammed the system, we should eliminate the system? Doesn't that mean that since we have any number of preachers that have scammed their churches, we should eliminate Christianity altogether? Just to be consistent.

Re: Atheist soup kitchens.(This is for Buck, too) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/13/athe... Yes, there are atheist soup kitchens.(BTW, I notice you dodged the question.) This one was started because a Christian soup kitchen would not allow atheists to volunteer to help.

I think I posted not long ago about a Freethinker group in Haiti that was building badly needed latrines...while several Christian groups were building churches in a country that is already covered up in churches.

Why is government assistance "depriving them of incentive to strive" while Christian assistance isn't? You seem to lack consistency in you positions once again.
Great post four times over.

Fennario

#216524 Mar 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent movie. You can't watch it with the stupid farting added in. Here it is without the farts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =04qBqCJlbC0XX&sns=em.
Thanks. That's better.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#216525 Mar 4, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you mean annual rate per capita or annual rate? Riverside Redneck, who as you know is into statistics, prefers the annual rate - numbers like 16,250 homicides per year. That's a higher annual rate than either California or Louisiana. Hell, it's higher than any 49 states and D.C. put together.
LOL. I didn't catch that little faux pas of Buck's.

Fennario

#216526 Mar 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Christians represent 32% of all charitable donations.
But they make up 75% of the country. You've got the other 25% of us non-Christians accounting for the other 68%. I'm guessing that you messed up your statistics again.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
In 2012, they donated over 214 million dollars. Compare that to your billionaire philanthropists.
In 2012, there were about 313 million Americans, or about 235 million Christians. Converted to a per capita rate (ducks), 214 million dollars works out to just over 90 cents a throw each per year - nearly two cents a week each Christian. Is that what you meant?

More statistics.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#216527 Mar 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bull. The theory of evolution states that all life came from one life, the common ancestor. That cannot be tested, but it's taught as if it's an indisputable fact.
There are many examples of scientific claims that are either untested or untestable.
Nonsense.

The ToE postulates that the observed process of evolution over time is the result of smallish changes in larger populations over millions of years.

That's "observed".

I realize that your teeny-weeny mind can't wrap itself around all those big numbers, but try, willya?

Sheesh.
OG Kush

Jacksonville, FL

#216528 Mar 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
This is friggin awesome.
Unless you like Obama.
How Reagan summed up Obama in the first 5 minutes of a speech over 40 years ago.
http://youtu.be/P3hY1eagq88
Ronnie and "mommie" ?
Americas real odd couple!

Challenged by present evidence Reagan ran the most corrupt administration of the 20th century,

By the end of his term, 138 Reagan administration officials had been convicted, had been indicted, or had been the subject of official investigations for official misconduct and/or criminal violations.

In terms of number of officials involved, the record of his administration was the worst ever.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2005/10/17/157477...

Why Obama is president?
GOP is retarded. They pick losers.

John McCain and Sarah OMG Palin were zero competition.

Megarich Mitt insulted 47%
of the country leading to the greatest landslide victory in recent history.

Republicans mounted a campaign that had nothing to do with helping Americans but everything to do with stopping Obama in achieving anything.

What they did achieve was to expose how insane the GOP has become.

Despite their best efforts the 'Kenyan' has proved successful.

At least it keeps Fox Mews aka 'bullshit mountain' in business .. who else can they hate more?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#216529 Mar 4, 2014
Evolution:

If you see footprints in the snow it is evidence that someone walked there.

Creationism:

If you see footprints in the snow it is proof that God made them.
virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216530 Mar 4, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
What? You don't find it kinda creepy that a religion of peace and love is using guns to lure people to Jesus?
It is one church in one "sect" that is doing it, apparently, and I only have your word on that. You make a sweeping statement, implying that ALL Christian sects are involved in that behavior, which is not true.

I find it repulsive that you try to paint millions as guilty of the offenses of few. That, and you completely ignore the groups like the Black Panthers who came on CNN and offered free guns to any black who desired to kill whatever whites were unlucky enough to cross their paths at the right "moment".

Using "any" kind of material lure to fluff up attendance at any kind of church is lame. It's no different than fruit day for an African missionary, it only draws moochers and the insincere. A church that gives away weapons is a failing one, not one for you to be afraid of, wussy.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
YellowStar

Eden Prairie, MN

#216531 Mar 4, 2014
You're post is too boring to read, so is your personality. Evolve a little, you've spent too much time in a classroom following directions and being told what to think.

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest you don't use Einstein to support your case because he said a LOT that goes against it. His ideas of "sacred" do not match up with yours at all.
And, yes, Santa Claus. As long as we are going to be talking about beings with no evidence of existence, why discriminate? Certainly you've heard it before? Should I have mentioned the Tooth Fairy instead? Or maybe Make Make (pronounced Mawkay Mawkay if you didn't know) if you want to get into actual gods? There is just as much evidence of Make Make as there is for Jehovah. Yet I doubt you would make a Make-Make-of-the-Gaps argument. Likely you would consider it very silly.
And, yes, magic. Miracles are magic. Miracles defy the laws of physics. Magic defies the laws of physics. Same difference. That fact may offend you, but deal with it.
I would strongly expect that I know a fair amount more about quantum mechanics than you do since I have actually studied the subject...both undergrad and graduate levels. Plus a lot of extra reading on my own. Physics is a hobby of mine.
And QM shows probabilistic behavior. Not intelligent behavior. You have been listening to someone that doesn't know anything about QM either. Electrons are not intelligent, nor do they act in a manner as if an intelligence is guiding them. While probabilistic individually, they act in a very predictable fashion when viewed en masse.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#216532 Mar 4, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>"This" is not the Prove There's a God thread, moron.
Zealots of ANY ideology are dangerous; much like you, Psycho.
Then I guess it's a good thing this isn't a "Prove there's no God thread" seeing as though you wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell proving it.

Atheism really isn't an ideology, it's simply a rejection of Theistic claims. It's not a world view, it's not a religion, it has no holy books, and it isn't used to form an economical or political base, it just rejects the claims of those who insist, without evidence, that an omnipotent entity created all the exist's and interacts with humans on a daily bases. It's actually a very intelligent position, it is the default position.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#216533 Mar 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.
Well your personal experience means nothing as far as the whole of Christian charity goes.
.. HIP's figure of 3% is relatively accurate. A recent audit of the LDS Church in the UK produced the following results ..

"... the (LDS) church spent a little over 3% of it's incoming money on the needy."

http://www.mormoncurtain.com/topic_mormon_mon...

.. now, compare that with an organization like BEST FRIENDS in UT where 79% of funding goes directly into the program ..

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm...

.. which organization would you rather support ??..

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#216534 Mar 4, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
O.K.
But tell me, where did you put Thing Two?
.. since his meltdown, Thing Two has disappeared ..

.. maybe he's bathing in cucumbers with multicultural men ..
virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216535 Mar 4, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's my collection:
Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby.
Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair color.
Atheism is a religion like transparent is a color
Atheism is a religion like health is a disease state.
Atheism is a religion like death is a lifestyle.
Atheism is a religion like nonsmoking is a habit.
Atheism is a religion like fasting is a menu entree.
Atheism is a religion like unemployment is a career choice.
Atheism is a religion like nudity is a fashion style.
Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sexual position.
Atheism is a religion like off is a radio station and silence a song playing on it.
You're not very good at "compare and contrast". Unlike "bald, color, death, fasting, nudity and abstinence, atheism is an institution, an entity that raises funds to increase its membership which is *done* "religiously" by its faithful. Get real, exile.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216536 Mar 4, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Then I guess it's a good thing this isn't a "Prove there's no God thread" seeing as though you wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell proving it.
Atheism really isn't an ideology, it's simply a rejection of Theistic claims. It's not a world view, it's not a religion, it has no holy books, and it isn't used to form an economical or political base, it just rejects the claims of those who insist, without evidence, that an omnipotent entity created all the exist's and interacts with humans on a daily bases. It's actually a very intelligent position, it is the default position.
Liar. I've seen enough atheist speeches and sermons to know why the money is being raised.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216537 Mar 4, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, can you say "ad hominem".
Call it liberal and you don't have to address what they actually say.
Buck's idea of "logical".
Says the guy who called his own mom a "godbot". You ad hom all the time, get over it, hypocrite.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#216538 Mar 4, 2014
OG Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
Ronnie and "mommie" ?
Americas real odd couple!
Challenged by present evidence Reagan ran the most corrupt administration of the 20th century,
By the end of his term, 138 Reagan administration officials had been convicted, had been indicted, or had been the subject of official investigations for official misconduct and/or criminal violations.
In terms of number of officials involved, the record of his administration was the worst ever.
http://m.dailykos.com/story/2005/10/17/157477...
Why Obama is president?
GOP is retarded. They pick losers.
John McCain and Sarah OMG Palin were zero competition.
Megarich Mitt insulted 47%
of the country leading to the greatest landslide victory in recent history.
Republicans mounted a campaign that had nothing to do with helping Americans but everything to do with stopping Obama in achieving anything.
What they did achieve was to expose how insane the GOP has become.
Despite their best efforts the 'Kenyan' has proved successful.
At least it keeps Fox Mews aka 'bullshit mountain' in business .. who else can they hate more?
That's such a lovely story you have there, O.G. FuckMe.

Too bad it's bull shit.

138 huh? I noticed you sneaked that number in, which sounds ominous, but added afterward that it included EVERY person who was even the subject of an investigation over a span of an 8-year term.

If you're happy with your guy, Obamajab, sing his praises. Have a fucking parade for him. Get all the people who he threw into unemployment and without health insurance to join in.

Should be quite a crowd.
virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216539 Mar 4, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, latrines. Because the localities didn't have any sanitation facilities at all. So, yes, latrines are very important to villages that have been suffering from disease due to open wastes.
You don't have much of an imagination, do you. Incapable of seeing what poor sanitation can wreak. And don't really care, apparently.
While these Christian groups build churches...that aren't needed and don't help anyone.
Here you go again not crediting Christians with the good they do.

An ex-boyfriend of mine used to go down to Mexico and drill water wells for impoverished areas that didn't have enough wells. Sure, it was likely the guilt of "lying for a living" that inspired him but I'm sure the Mexicans didn't give a crap about his motivation, just the results.

I've never been a fan of "buying a ticket to heaven" myself, but if he wants to play the fool that's his business. See how that works? A true free-thinker doesn't begrudge his/her fellow man the right to use his guilt/emotions/mind as he/she sees fit.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#216540 Mar 4, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Then I guess it's a good thing this isn't a "Prove there's no God thread" seeing as though you wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell proving it.
Atheism is a belief and an ideology.

Listen to one of them yammer for 30 seconds - you'll hear the ideology.

It might be nonsense, but you'll hear it.

Some of them believe dinosaurs had no DNA.

Bwahahahahahahahah...
OG Kush

Jacksonville, FL

#216541 Mar 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad it's bull shit.
138 huh? I noticed you sneaked that number in, which sounds ominous, but added afterward that it included EVERY person who was even the subject of an investigation over a span of an 8-year term.
If you're happy with your guy, Obamajab, sing his praises. Have a fucking parade for him. Get all the people who he threw into unemployment and without health insurance to join in.
Should be quite a crowd.
You lost SORE LOSER, get over it.
The majority spoke, you refused to listen.

Will a little luck, the next POTUS will be a gay, Latino with Chinese roots or Snoop Dogg!

I think voting is a waste of time.

This is a oligarchy - you have NO rights, only privileges that can be removed at a whim.

ASK ANY JAPANESE AMERICAN ABOUT RIGHTS DURING WWII.

Where were the camps for Italian and Gernan Americans? Why did they keep their homes and businesses?
OG Kush

Jacksonville, FL

#216542 Mar 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad it's bull shit.
Should be quite a crowd.
The truth hurts Buckmeister!

Wiki always lies!

The presidency of Ronald Reagan in the United States was marked by multiple scandals, resulting in the investigation, indictment, or conviction of over 138 administration officials, the largest number for any US president.[1]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reagan_adminis...

You can also thank your hero for the Wall Street deregulation that led to 2008 greed meltdown.

Nice actor, stupid president.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min Brian_G 30,881
Majority of Scots now have no religion 45 min Thinking 1
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Brian_G 13,098
Atheism is not a belief 2 hr Brian_G 269
News How God Messed Up My Happy Atheist Life 3 hr emperorjohn 11
There are no such things as gods or fairies 6 hr JustASkeptic 10
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 7 hr karl44 4,335
More from around the web