Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#216253 Mar 2, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are big on "evidence", as with your claim that dinosaurs had no DNA.
--The historical record of killing for atheism is 182,716 times worse on an annual basis than Christianity's worst year.
--There is a 58 percent chance that an atheist leader will murder a noticeable percentage of the population over which he rules.
--Atheist crime against humanity is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst depredation committed by Christians, even though atheists have had less than one-twentieth the number of opportunities with which to commit them.
Nobody has ever killed for atheism.

Hope that helps.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#216254 Mar 2, 2014
Buck probably thinks Ken Ham trounced Bill Nye as well.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#216255 Mar 2, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope that helps.
All the religions of the world put together have in 3,000 years not managed to kill anywhere near the number of people killed in the name of atheism in the ninety years between 1917 and 2007.

The body count for that ninety years is approximately 148 million killed for atheism, three times more than all the human beings killed by war, civil war, and individual crime in the entire twentieth century combined.

That particular killing for atheism is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst example of killing by Christians,

Location hidden

#216256 Mar 2, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Buck probably thinks Ken Ham trounced Bill Nye as well.
Red Herring.

In football they call that a misdirection play.

On Topix, it's called just being a stupid atheist. This does not mean all atheists are stupid - just most of the ones on Topix, and particularly, the one I'm responding to here.

Got any more great Crockthorton research for us? Did Crockthorton ever concede that a Catholic mission might do mission work? I know that was a big objection for him.

Location hidden

#216257 Mar 3, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
It is the same thing in Buck's mind. But then, he doesn't understand subtleties of difference. To him, 2 million people leaving their jobs so that other people can take them is the same as destroying 2 million jobs.
Buck watches way too much Fox News. And he thinks they are right on everything they say.
Yeah. I think a loss of 2 million jobs is a loss of 2 million jobs.

I'm funny that way.

Location hidden

#216258 Mar 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
All the religions of the world put together have in 3,000 years not managed to kill anywhere near the number of people killed in the name of atheism in the ninety years between 1917 and 2007.
The body count for that ninety years is approximately 148 million killed for atheism, three times more than all the human beings killed by war, civil war, and individual crime in the entire twentieth century combined.
That particular killing for atheism is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst example of killing by Christians,
Nobody has ever killed for a non belief in deities just like nobody has ever killed for a non belief in tree pixies.

Hope that helps.

Location hidden

#216259 Mar 3, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Things change, Buck.
Should I play the end of the Auburn/Alabama game again?
Adapt or pray.
Things change? It was a lie when he said it. Something changing had nothing to do with it.

They had already written the regs that would cause the cancellations, and they knew it, and discussed it, before Obama repeated the promise over and over.

Not to mention a republican senator introduced a bill in response that would allow people to keep their plan, as they all knew about the impending cancellations, and the democrats voted it down.

It was a flat out lie. It was not even a broken promise. It was a lie from the start.

Location hidden

#216260 Mar 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Things change? It was a lie when he said it. Something changing had nothing to do with it.
They had already written the regs that would cause the cancellations, and they knew it, and discussed it, before Obama repeated the promise over and over.
Not to mention a republican senator introduced a bill in response that would allow people to keep their plan, as they all knew about the impending cancellations, and the democrats voted it down.
It was a flat out lie. It was not even a broken promise. It was a lie from the start.
It's the government, Buck.

Take your ankle bracelet off and call 911.

Let's see how good they are.
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#216261 Mar 3, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope that helps.
PROVE IT

no atheist has killed for immoral purposes. Dorothy has an incredible capacity for self-pity and living under a dark cloud

Location hidden

#216262 Mar 3, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>No. I don't defend Obama in any way--I leave that to people who are much more interested in politics than I am. But I am a bit of a stickler for accuracy. Obama did not promise to lower the ocean's level. He did not even promise to slow the rate by himself. Rather, he expressed confidence the the ability and will of Americans as a whole to do so and belief that this decade would be seen in the future as the time when that change began to take place. That's not the same thing as promising to lower sea levels during his administration. I think that you are allowing your animosity to blind you and keep you from seeing your own error in this matter.
So Obama was predicting that, by electing him, somebody else would cause the sea level to be lower?

No, you are not much of a stickler for accuracy. You are a stickler for deflection, in this case.

Obama absolutely promised to lower the sea level. He stated, in the context of the momentous incident of his becoming president, "the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal".

If the rise of the ocean slows, then the sea level is LOWER than it is without him. And we will look back, according to Obama, on "this moment" as when it began to happen. What was happening in that "moment"? He was becoming president.

That is an absolute, flat-out promise to lower the sea level, no matter the means or the assistance he might require to accomplish it. He promised to lower it. We will know it began at that moment. Because of him.

Tapdance to it any way you like.

Location hidden

#216263 Mar 3, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the government, Buck.
Take your ankle bracelet off and call 911.
Let's see how good they are.
Oh. It's the government.

Then march your liberal ass out to California, stop at Nixon's grave, and apologize.

Tell him now you know it was just the government.

Location hidden

#216264 Mar 3, 2014
tricki wrote:
<quoted text>
PROVE IT
no atheist has killed for immoral purposes. Dorothy has an incredible capacity for self-pity and living under a dark cloud
Hush, tard.

Location hidden

#216265 Mar 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. It's the government.
Then march your liberal ass out to California, stop at Nixon's grave, and apologize.
Tell him now you know it was just the government.
Who is Nixon?

What year is this?

Things change, Buck.

Location hidden

#216266 Mar 3, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody has ever killed for a non belief in deities just like nobody has ever killed for a non belief in tree pixies.
Hope that helps.
Atheism is not a non-belief.

"The Communist Party is to oppose religion and to fight for the full victory of atheism.

--The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (Moscow, USSR)

If the USSR was "fighting for the full victory of atheism", and people were killed, how were they fighting for atheism but not killing for atheism?

Can you explain that?

I can explain it for you. You are a liar and a moron. That's the explanation.

Location hidden

#216267 Mar 3, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope that helps.
"A Marxist must be a materialist, i. e., an enemy of religion, but a dialectical materialist, i. e., one who treats the struggle against religion not in an abstract way, not on the basis of remote, purely theoretical, never varying preaching, but in a concrete way, on the basis of the class struggle which is going on in practice and is educating the masses more and better than anything else could."

- Vladimir Lenin

What was the "concrete way" of advancing atheism?

In the first five years after the October Revolution, 28 bishops and 1,200 priests were murdered, many on the orders of Leon Trotsky. When Joseph Stalin came to power in 1927, he ordered his secret police, under Genrikh Yagoda to intensify persecution of Christians. In the next few years, 50,000 clergy were murdered, many were tortured, including some by crucifixion.

Nobody has ever killed for atheism? Good luck with that one, Rivet Tampon.

Location hidden

#216268 Mar 3, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is Nixon?
What year is this?
Things change, Buck.
When a liberal is in office, your principles change.

Location hidden

#216269 Mar 3, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know that religious beliefs are a danger to society right? That unsupported beliefs are what caused 9/11 and a host of other horrific acts?
It was the western christians who warned of the danger of Islam.

You secularists denied the danger. You wanted to be multicultural purists.

Same thing on Communism. Western Christians, including Richard Nixon, were avowed anti-communist. You liberals and secularists opposed them.

You secularists have been wrong on the two major global threats of our generation, and the Christians have been right.

So who is the danger to society?

You.

You wish you had a better argument, right?

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#216270 Mar 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
So Obama was predicting that, by electing him, somebody else would cause the sea level to be lower?
No, you are not much of a stickler for accuracy. You are a stickler for deflection, in this case.
Obama absolutely promised to lower the sea level. He stated, in the context of the momentous incident of his becoming president, "the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal".
If the rise of the ocean slows, then the sea level is LOWER than it is without him. And we will look back, according to Obama, on "this moment" as when it began to happen. What was happening in that "moment"? He was becoming president.
That is an absolute, flat-out promise to lower the sea level, no matter the means or the assistance he might require to accomplish it. He promised to lower it. We will know it began at that moment. Because of him.
Tapdance to it any way you like.
That's a bit of s twist of logic. You're saying that if the sea levels continue to rise, but at a decreasing rate, it is the same thing as if the level falls? And you accuse me of tap dancing? I should have known--your obsessive inability to see past your preconceptions has not changed over the last year.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#216272 Mar 3, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
They would still be murdering and torturing people at will if they could get away with it.
Agreed. That's my point. There is no evidence that they wouldn't, and plenty that they would both from history and in the words of the Dominionists and many Topix posters. This is what I was referring to when I invited Christians to show us examples where the Christian church has ever refused to torture and/or kill in times and places when it had the power to do those things legally, but tool a moral stand and said, "No! That is not right. It would be cruel and a violation of the Golden Rule." To my knowledge, never. They have always done the most horrible things to people when they thought they could, and there is zero evidence that that has changed.

KiMare thought he made his church look better than the Muslims by comparing the Christian taliban to the Muslim taliban. The main difference is that Christians are found principally where humanism has had the most influence. Secular democracies are a humanist innovation that limit Christianity in a way that the governments of several Muslim states either cannot or will not. KiMare wants credit for his church for that.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#216275 Mar 3, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
What Obama actually said was, "I face this challenge with profound humility and knowledge of my own limitations. But I also face it with limitless faith in the capacity of the American people, because if we are willing to work for it and fight for it and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs for the jobless. This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal..."
He wasn't promising to lower ocean levels, but to provide the leadership that would make it possible to slow the rate of their rise and begin the process of allowing the planet to heal itself of man-made blights, and there is tenuous evidence that indicates that he has done exactly that. But it's really too soon to tell one way or the other.. Only those subsequent generations can make that assessment with any degree of confidence.
OK. Thanks for that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 min polymath257 16,993
The Consequences of Atheism 8 min polymath257 836
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr ChristineM 4,911
Religiosity 3 hr Thinking 3
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 16 hr thetruth 1,670
Turkey blocks website of its first atheist asso... 16 hr thetruth 3
What evidence make you believe in God/gods? 16 hr thetruth 31
More from around the web