Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#216286 Mar 3, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Just ask Christians.They'll tell you how good they are even if.nobody else will.
Christians don't need the approval of an atheist.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216287 Mar 3, 2014
<quoted text>
Did you mean now, during the Spanish Inquisition, or in late 17th century Salem?
I meant now.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#216288 Mar 3, 2014
<quoted text>
Agreed. That's my point. There is no evidence that they wouldn't, and plenty that they would both from history and in the words of the Dominionists and many Topix posters. This is what I was referring to when I invited Christians to show us examples where the Christian church has ever refused to torture and/or kill in times and places when it had the power to do those things legally, but tool a moral stand and said, "No! That is not right. It would be cruel and a violation of the Golden Rule." To my knowledge, never. They have always done the most horrible things to people when they thought they could, and there is zero evidence that that has changed.
KiMare thought he made his church look better than the Muslims by comparing the Christian taliban to the Muslim taliban. The main difference is that Christians are found principally where humanism has had the most influence. Secular democracies are a humanist innovation that limit Christianity in a way that the governments of several Muslim states either cannot or will not. KiMare wants credit for his church for that.
Let me get this straight.

What prevents Christians from practicing terrorism and jihad like Muslims is the humanist secular influence??

What mind-addled crackpot did you hear that from?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216289 Mar 3, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
They would still be murdering and torturing people at will if they could get away with it. Oh wait! They still do.
Whats the difference between a Muslim and Christian extremist ?
One calls is blood thirsty deity Jesus the other calls it Allah.
So Christians believe in God and Muslims believe in God.

Huh

Very astute.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216290 Mar 3, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
Would you kill a terrorist, if the option was preventing them from blowing themselves up in a crowd including children? Or if it would prevent the next 9-11?
If the guy simply believed that God told him to? No.

If the guy built bombs, set up plans, dates and times and was actually gonna do it? Yes.

You see, the latter is action, the former - belief. There's no justifiable reason to kill a man for a belief.

Also, why did you include children in your hypothetical? Do you think it'd be somehow more tragic if children died instead of adults?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216291 Mar 3, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
OH, my. Southern Baptists in Kentucky have discovered the perfect way to get rednecks to join their church.
From the Courier-Journal...
"In an effort its spokesman has described as “outreach to rednecks,” the Kentucky Baptist Convention is leading “Second Amendment Celebrations,” where churches around the state give away guns as door prizes to lure in nonbelievers in hopes of converting them to Christ."
Guns for Jesus.
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
Only in America.
:-)
He didn't add a link for a reason, that story is false and exaggerated.

First, "churches around the state give away guns as door prizes" is an outright lie. It's one church.

Second, "outreach to rednecks" is exaggerated. People in that part of Kentucky think the term "redneck" is offensive.

How do I know? My parents attend that very church.

Small world.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216292 Mar 3, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, a shining examply you got there, RR.
-/
Thanks, man.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216293 Mar 3, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
What Obama actually said was, "I face this challenge with profound humility and knowledge of my own limitations. But I also face it with limitless faith in the capacity of the American people, because if we are willing to work for it and fight for it and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs for the jobless. This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal..."
He wasn't promising to lower ocean levels, but to provide the leadership that would make it possible to slow the rate of their rise and begin the process of allowing the planet to heal itself of man-made blights, and there is tenuous evidence that indicates that he has done exactly that. But it's really too soon to tell one way or the other.. Only those subsequent generations can make that assessment with any degree of confidence.
Lol

Those are the words of Jon Favreau and his team, Obama just read them.

Take away Obama's teleprompter, see what you get.

Location hidden

#216294 Mar 3, 2014
<quoted text>
Maybe in churches.
<quoted text>
Well that settles it then.
======
Here are some excerpts from the debate at Notre Dame
<snip>
Judging from your excerpts, Sam didn't want to debate Craig on the subject of the debate, and preferred to debate Old Testament scripture.

I watched the debate, and it was obvious Craig had the upper hand intellectually, and destroyed Harris point by point.

Here is a link to a good analysis, if you are interested. http://thinkingmatters.org.nz/2011/04/how-wil...

I agree with the analyst that the most annoying thing about Sam Harris is how he repeats stupid statements in such an earnest, soft-spoken tone. It literally makes me want to hit him in the face.

Craig's rebuttal to Harris:

* Harris is confusing how we know moral values and duties with what grounds moral values and duties
*Harris’s critique of God’s character is irrelevant and off topic
*The question isn’t whether human flourishing is good, but what makes human flourishing good
*Human flourishing cannot be identical with moral goodness because we can imagine a possible world, under Harris’s own assumptions, where evil people primarily flourish (this is a devastating argument that blows Harris’s entire ethical framework out of the water and leaves him with nothing in the debate)
*Moral obligations come from an appropriate authority, and under atheism there is no objective authority; thus no foundation for objective morality

Harris' lame response:

*There is no evidence that hell exists
*Think of the parents of the children of people who die in tsunamis
*If God allows people to suffer then he doesn’t exist
*Some people pray to the Monkey God—why don’t they go to heaven?

As you can see, Harris is in over his head intellectually. As I have said, he is a smooth-talker, but a know-nothing asshole.

You might also wish to observe Sam being made a total fool by debating Dennis Prager:

Location hidden

#216295 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Self defense of a belief? No. You're trying to sugar coat Harris' vile opinion.
“Some beliefs are so dangerous that it may be ethical to kill people for believing them” Sam Harris
That is a very dangerous notion.
<quoted text>
Hardly.
<quoted text>
Then you should be willing to "disarm" Sam Harris, he wants to kill a lot of people. Let's kill him before he has the chance.
O_o
You nailed it. Harris' statement had nothing to do with self-defense. Self-defense is a response to an action, not to thoughts.

Like I said, atheists seek authority on the basis that they are better atheists than Stalin and Lenin.

Then along comes a humanist, Sam Harris, and screws the pooch.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#216296 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
OH, my. Southern Baptists in Kentucky have discovered the perfect way to get rednecks to join their church.
"In an effort its spokesman has described as “outreach to rednecks,” the Kentucky Baptist Convention is leading “Second Amendment Celebrations,” where churches around the state give away guns as door prizes to lure in nonbelievers in hopes of converting them to Christ."
Guns for Jesus.
<quoted text>
First, "churches around the state give away guns as door prizes" is an outright lie. It's one church.
Second, "outreach to rednecks" is exaggerated. People in that part of Kentucky think the term "redneck" is offensive.
Small world.
It's more than one(1) church involved, and appears there are more to come.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/201402...

BTW, its not just people in that part of Kentucky that think the term redneck is offensive.

Location hidden

#216297 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That may be but the answer to poverty is not government handouts. All you're doing with that is telling folks that they don't need to strive, other people have and they'll cover your burden.
You nailed Dogpile, too.

You subsidize something (sloth), you get more of it.

You punish something (productivity), you get less of it.

In these two methods, you have the sum total of liberal economics.

Location hidden

#216298 Mar 3, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>

It is the same thing in Buck's mind.
You should not comment on Buck's mind.

You should simply stand in awe of it. Like someone who lives in a cardboard box when they see the Taj Mahal.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216299 Mar 3, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
Agreed.
YAY now you have a friend.

Location hidden

#216300 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Guns for Jesus.
<quoted text>
Small world.
Stop the Presses!!

Darwin-Stepped-In-Dogshit lied again!

Did he mention "evangelical" gay activiist Warren Crockthorton in this one?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216301 Mar 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You nailed it. Harris' statement had nothing to do with self-defense. Self-defense is a response to an action, not to thoughts.
Like I said, atheists seek authority on the basis that they are better atheists than Stalin and Lenin.
Then along comes a humanist, Sam Harris, and screws the pooch.
I feel bad for the pooch.

Maybe someone should kill Harris for having those thoughts....

Location hidden

#216302 Mar 3, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> It's more than one(1) church involved, and appears there are more to come.
BTW, its not just people in that part of Kentucky that think the term redneck is offensive.
Are you aware that the Courier-Journal is a Marxist left-wing rag that lies with impunity?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#216303 Mar 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are big on "evidence", as with your claim that dinosaurs had no DNA.
--The historical record of killing for atheism is 182,716 times worse on an annual basis than Christianity's worst year.
--There is a 58 percent chance that an atheist leader will murder a noticeable percentage of the population over which he rules.
--Atheist crime against humanity is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst depredation committed by Christians, even though atheists have had less than one-twentieth the number of opportunities with which to commit them.
Liar, nowgoandfuckyourselfyouloser
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#216304 Mar 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Craig debated Harris and the consensus was Craig beat him.
Atheist Luke Muehlhauser of "Common Sense Atheism" declared Craig the winner.
Where are your "up and coming" young atheists to fill the gap left by Joe Stalin and Vladimir Lenin?
You just don't see good atheist lines like this one any more:
"Our program necessarily includes the propaganda of atheism."
-Vladimir Lenin
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa ....
Pissoffloser

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216305 Mar 3, 2014
scaritual wrote:
It's more than one(1) church involved, and appears there are more to come.
Men out in Kentucky view hunting and guns about as equal to sports, it's very important to them.

To them, offering to raffle off 25 guns is equivalent to a church raffling off Super bowl tickets.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 min ChristineM 24,871
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 min Into The Night 52,117
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 25 min Dogen 475
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 53 min ChristineM 11,440
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Richardfs 22,158
A Proof That God Exists (Mar '13) 2 hr hpcaban 1,936
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... 4 hr Eagle 12 215
More from around the web