Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#216233 Mar 2, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you should, Nano.
I'm not deluded...I AM grander than YOU.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#216234 Mar 2, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not deluded...I AM grander than YOU.
And I'm the grandest.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#216235 Mar 2, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not deluded...I AM grander than YOU.
You keep telling yourself that, sunshine. My piano's grander than you.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#216236 Mar 2, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>lol
...or a terrorist attempting to inflame society into killing believers? See how that works? It might not be karma but it is human nature to be defensive towards aggressive provocateurs. Not many of us would pass on taking down Hitler if we could, the same goes for anybody planning on killing the innocent.
Hypocrite.
Who are you planning on killing, schizo?

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#216237 Mar 2, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but I'm not the best person to ask.
What Obama actually said was, "I face this challenge with profound humility and knowledge of my own limitations. But I also face it with limitless faith in the capacity of the American people, because if we are willing to work for it and fight for it and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs for the jobless. This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal..."

He wasn't promising to lower ocean levels, but to provide the leadership that would make it possible to slow the rate of their rise and begin the process of allowing the planet to heal itself of man-made blights, and there is tenuous evidence that indicates that he has done exactly that. But it's really too soon to tell one way or the other.. Only those subsequent generations can make that assessment with any degree of confidence.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#216238 Mar 2, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
They would still be murdering and torturing people at will if they could get away with it. Oh wait! They still do.
Whats the difference between a Muslim and Christian extremist ?
One calls is blood thirsty deity Jesus the other calls it Allah.
--The historical record of killing for atheism is 182,716 times worse on an annual basis than Christianity's worst year.

--There is a 58 percent chance that an atheist leader will murder a noticeable percentage of the population over which he rules.

--Atheist crime against humanity is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst depredation committed by Christians, even though atheists have had less than one-twentieth the number of opportunities with which to commit them.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#216239 Mar 2, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you kill a terrorist, if the option was preventing them from blowing themselves up in a crowd including children? Or if it would prevent the next 9-11?
That's not the issue. The issue is the suggestion of murdering people because their religious views have the potential, in some person's mind, of leading to bad acts. It would be a matter of killing them for their thoughts.

Sorta' plays havoc with our due process ideas.

Where such ideas have caught on, the authorities tend to get a little carried away with it.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#216240 Mar 2, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>Your idol Sam Harris likes the idea of using torture to extract desired info. Something tells me he wouldn't be as enthusiastic about it if it was used on himself.
People like him seem to think they will be immune to being treated the same way as their opponents are, but that's likely because Mr. Prissypants thinks his cult will be the one in charge of all that torturing. Funny how sometimes things don't always go how we hope they will, isn't it?
The humanists aspire to power on the rationale that they are better atheists than Stalin or Mao.

Then along comes a guy like Sam Harris and screws the pooch.

Mr. Prissypants - I like that. Harris has a very punchable face.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#216241 Mar 2, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
--The historical record of killing for atheism is 182,716 times worse on an annual basis than Christianity's worst year.
--There is a 58 percent chance that an atheist leader will murder a noticeable percentage of the population over which he rules.
--Atheist crime against humanity is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst depredation committed by Christians, even though atheists have had less than one-twentieth the number of opportunities with which to commit them.
Nobody has ever killed for atheism.

Hope that helps.

Location hidden

#216242 Mar 2, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not the issue. The issue is the suggestion of murdering people because their religious views have the potential, in some person's mind, of leading to bad acts. It would be a matter of killing them for their thoughts.
Sorta' plays havoc with our due process ideas.
Where such ideas have caught on, the authorities tend to get a little carried away with it.

Weapons of Mass Instruction.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#216243 Mar 2, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>They've done their damnedest to run off any believers from Topix (up to AND icluding offline stalking) in their efforts to appear to be "the" voice of reason. apparently they are unaware how distinctly irrational their intense censorship looks to people who are not aggressive freaks like them.
Easy to run you believers off, all one has to do is ask you to provide evidence for your Demon God, and off you run. Those that stay and try and show us their evidence, usually completely embarrass themselves with rainbows, trees, and laughing babies as their evidence. I usually end up ROTFLMAO.

You do know that religious beliefs are a danger to society right? That unsupported beliefs are what caused 9/11 and a host of other horrific acts?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#216244 Mar 2, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
What Obama actually said was, "I face this challenge with profound humility and knowledge of my own limitations. But I also face it with limitless faith in the capacity of the American people, because if we are willing to work for it and fight for it and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs for the jobless. This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal..."
He wasn't promising to lower ocean levels,...
Yes, that is exactly what he was promising - to lower the sea level.

You may parse and spin as you wish.

Thursday, 27 February 2014 11:49
No Proof of Man-Made Climate Change, Says Greenpeace Co-founder

"There is no scientific proof of man-made climate change, a co-founder of Greenpeace told a committee of the U.S. Senate,..."

http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/environmen...
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#216245 Mar 2, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>Your idol Sam Harris likes the idea of using torture to extract desired info. Something tells me he wouldn't be as enthusiastic about it if it was used on himself.
People like him seem to think they will be immune to being treated the same way as their opponents are, but that's likely because Mr. Prissypants thinks his cult will be the one in charge of all that torturing. Funny how sometimes things don't always go how we hope they will, isn't it?
Kind of a shame that Theists don't have such an elegant spokesman as the brilliant Sam Harris. The best you guys can do are idiots like Ken Hovin and William Lane Craig.

There are other coming up to fill the gap that Christopher Hitchens left, Matt Dillahunty for one, a brilliant young Atheists who host the Atheist Experience out of Austin Texas. His specialty is destroying young earth creationists. He chews em up, and spits em out, really fun to watch.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#216246 Mar 2, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
He wasn't promising to lower ocean levels, but to provide the leadership that would make it possible to slow the rate of their rise and begin the process of allowing the planet to heal itself of man-made blights, and there is tenuous evidence that indicates that he has done exactly that. But it's really too soon to tell one way or the other.. Only those subsequent generations can make that assessment with any degree of confidence.
Are you also one of those who defends him for lying about being able to keep our health care plan?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#216247 Mar 2, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Easy to run you believers off, all one has to do is ask you to provide evidence for your Demon God, and off you run. Those that stay and try and show us their evidence, usually completely embarrass themselves with rainbows, trees, and laughing babies as their evidence. I usually end up ROTFLMAO.
You do know that religious beliefs are a danger to society right? That unsupported beliefs are what caused 9/11 and a host of other horrific acts?
You are big on "evidence", as with your claim that dinosaurs had no DNA.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#216248 Mar 2, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Kind of a shame that Theists don't have such an elegant spokesman as the brilliant Sam Harris. The best you guys can do are idiots like Ken Hovin and William Lane Craig.
There are other coming up to fill the gap that Christopher Hitchens left, Matt Dillahunty for one, a brilliant young Atheists who host the Atheist Experience out of Austin Texas. His specialty is destroying young earth creationists. He chews em up, and spits em out, really fun to watch.
Craig debated Harris and the consensus was Craig beat him.

Atheist Luke Muehlhauser of "Common Sense Atheism" declared Craig the winner.

Where are your "up and coming" young atheists to fill the gap left by Joe Stalin and Vladimir Lenin?

You just don't see good atheist lines like this one any more:

"Our program necessarily includes the propaganda of atheism."
-Vladimir Lenin

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa ....

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#216249 Mar 2, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you also one of those who defends him for lying about being able to keep our health care plan?
No. I don't defend Obama in any way--I leave that to people who are much more interested in politics than I am. But I am a bit of a stickler for accuracy. Obama did not promise to lower the ocean's level. He did not even promise to slow the rate by himself. Rather, he expressed confidence the the ability and will of Americans as a whole to do so and belief that this decade would be seen in the future as the time when that change began to take place. That's not the same thing as promising to lower sea levels during his administration. I think that you are allowing your animosity to blind you and keep you from seeing your own error in this matter.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#216250 Mar 2, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Kind of a shame that Theists don't have such an elegant spokesman as the brilliant Sam Harris. The best you guys can do are idiots like Ken Hovin and William Lane Craig.
Almost forgot,...

I heard Dennis Prager make a complete fool of Sam Harris debating him on the radio. Sam should have worn a dunce hat.

Location hidden

#216251 Mar 2, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Things change, Buck.

Should I play the end of the Auburn/Alabama game again?

Adapt or pray.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#216252 Mar 2, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>No. I don't defend Obama in any way--I leave that to people who are much more interested in politics than I am. But I am a bit of a stickler for accuracy. Obama did not promise to lower the ocean's level. He did not even promise to slow the rate by himself. Rather, he expressed confidence the the ability and will of Americans as a whole to do so and belief that this decade would be seen in the future as the time when that change began to take place. That's not the same thing as promising to lower sea levels during his administration. I think that you are allowing your animosity to blind you and keep you from seeing your own error in this matter.
It is the same thing in Buck's mind. But then, he doesn't understand subtleties of difference. To him, 2 million people leaving their jobs so that other people can take them is the same as destroying 2 million jobs.

Buck watches way too much Fox News. And he thinks they are right on everything they say.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Samuel Patre 94,350
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 5 hr River Tam 5,992
News Geoff Robson is wrong about Richard Dawkins, th... 5 hr Eagle 12 - 8
News Christ, Atheism, Quantum Physics, and the Natur... 11 hr nanoanomaly 1
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing (Oct '17) Wed Eagle 12 - 142
News Egyptian Parliament considers outlawing atheism May 21 Guest 6
Stephen Hawking, now a believer May 8 superwilly 20