Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255868 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

ROCCO

Indio, CA

#215727 Feb 28, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
No they don't. You need to include 'oxymoron' with your example.
Smile.
Actually, I don't need to include you with anything.

From what I understand, you're a one thing does all.
Jacob

Dade City, FL

#215728 Feb 28, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I'm not a christian now. But I grew up in a christian church.
I never saw them torture or kill anyone. Unless 2 hours on a pew is torture.
They could have killed or tortured. Nearly all of them owned guns. Several likely had them in their vehicles.
If we count each Sunday as one incident, that is several hundred incidents of a christian church not killing or torturing when they could.
That's only one church. There were probably a hundred of them in the county. Thousands in the state.
So there is hundreds of thousands of the examples you are asking for. It was really a bizarre and an oddly conceived question.
How are you not a Christian now? I feel so bad for you. Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic or anything.
Jacob

Dade City, FL

#215729 Feb 28, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I'm not a christian now. But I grew up in a christian church.
I never saw them torture or kill anyone. Unless 2 hours on a pew is torture.
They could have killed or tortured. Nearly all of them owned guns. Several likely had them in their vehicles.
If we count each Sunday as one incident, that is several hundred incidents of a christian church not killing or torturing when they could.
That's only one church. There were probably a hundred of them in the county. Thousands in the state.
So there is hundreds of thousands of the examples you are asking for. It was really a bizarre and an oddly conceived question.
And just to expand on that thought, the churches who killed and tortured weren't following the laws God had said – specifically the law that says Thou shalt not kill. So, they weren't good churches.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#215730 Feb 28, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
So?
You aren't a Christian either, but you spout Christian apologetics every chance you get.
A christian apologist who doesn't believe in the divinity of Jesus?

You are welcome to make that case, Crockthorton.

You might try looking up "apologetics", right after you look up "Christian".

My calling people on it when they lie about Christianity is not apologetics.

Once again, you prove yourself the dumbest poster on Topix.
Jacob

Dade City, FL

#215731 Feb 28, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
"Irish Inquiry Hears How Children Were Systematically Beaten and Abused in Catholic Home for Children"
Among the abuses...
"Humiliating children for bed wetting, forcing them to stand with the sheets on their heads and beating them as punishment.
Forced farm labouring or working in the laundry instead of going to school.
Removal of Christmas presents and other personal items.
Calling children by numbers rather than names.
Leaving youngsters hungry through inadequate food or alternately force feeding.
Some people who contacted the inquiry claimed when they were ill they were forced to eat their own vomit.
Inadequate staffing and supervision and lack of medical attention."
One man testified...
“I remember, when I was about five years old, being constantly beaten by one particular nun, to get me to stop writing with my left hand.”
For more...
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-2...
"Michael McMoran said one nun targeted him for 10 years, hitting him about the head with a brush, mop or tree branch."
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/2...
"A former resident of a children's care home in Derry, Northern Ireland, was told he was evil and had been born of a satanic relationship, the largest UK inquiry into institutional child abuse has heard.
The witness said a priest labelled him the product of such a union because his mother was unmarried."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-...
"I never heard children cry like I have in that place, it was one of despair and that still haunts me a little bit, it was a scream of despair."
So you think having hospitals excuses this behavior?
Whoever did those things may have claimed to be Christian, but it sure doesn't sound like it. Just read the 10 Commandments. They violate them in all of what you're saying.

Location hidden

#215732 Feb 28, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, just like Gone With the Wind is proven non-fiction in part.
That still doesn't make Rhett Butler a historical figure.
And it doesn't make a historical scholar on the Civil War south the same as a scholar on Harry Potter.

That was the type of analogy offered, and dismissed.

You should abstain from comment on issues you clearly can't grasp.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#215733 Feb 28, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Yeah, just like Gone With the Wind is proven non-fiction in part. That still doesn't make Rhett Butler a historical figure.
Nor would a Ph.D. in Wind Gonecolgy be very helpful.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#215734 Feb 28, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If they had Christian birth parents, they were going to be tortured and killed anyway. Right?
Atheist crimes against humanity,(mass murder and torture) compared with that of Christians, is 18,300,000.% higher.
Don't forget, the killing and torture comparison is with atheists being far fewer in number, and having less opportunities in power to commit the atrocities.
Can you imagine the body count if atheists had been in charge as much as Christians?
Mass murderers, among atheist leaders, are the majority! 58.6% murdered massive numbers of their own people. That's not even killing in wartime. Just killing their own people.
Nobody has ever killed for atheism.

Hope that helps.

Fennario

#215735 Feb 28, 2014
Jacob wrote:
Well, how do you explain everything got here? Just asking. If the Big Bang Theory (key word- THEORY) is real, then what was there before the Big Bang? There has to have been some sort of bomb to explode. So, how did the bomb get there? I'm just wondering how the heck you explain it all.
Yikes. Faith hasn't been good to you.

Location hidden

#215736 Feb 28, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a close friend at all, but I have socialized with Jerry Brown at several functions.
I have called him Jerry when in a group and others called him that. One on one, I call him Governor and he calls me by my first name.
Brown is one hell of a nice guy, by the way. And his wife wears the pants in many respects.
Great. How did he get the name "Moonbeam"?

Was it before, or after, he said this:

"The conventional viewpoint says we need a jobs program and we need to cut welfare. Just the opposite! We need more welfare and fewer jobs."

Fennario

#215737 Feb 28, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
If they had Christian birth parents, they were going to be tortured and killed anyway. Right?
Not literally in the US.

Location hidden

#215738 Feb 28, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope that helps.
Then all those people were buried alive?

Thanks for solving this mystery.

Fennario

#215739 Feb 28, 2014
Jacob wrote:
And just to expand on that thought, the churches who killed and tortured weren't following the laws God had said – specifically the law that says Thou shalt not kill. So, they weren't good churches.
You really are new at this.

Fennario

#215740 Feb 28, 2014
Jacob wrote:
Whoever did those things may have claimed to be Christian, but it sure doesn't sound like it. Just read the 10 Commandments. They violate them in all of what you're saying.
Are the Ten Commandments still in effect? We have been told here that they were overturned by Jesus.

Location hidden

#215742 Feb 28, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, just like Gone With the Wind is proven non-fiction in part.
That still doesn't make Rhett Butler a historical figure.
The book doesn't make General Sherman a historical figure, or the burning of Atlanta a historical event.

But they are.

Look up "Red Herring". Moron.

Location hidden

#215743 Feb 28, 2014
OK. What did you guys do with Dave Nelson?

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#215744 Feb 28, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope that helps.
It helps, River.

Redondo Beach, CA

#215745 Feb 28, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Great. How did he get the name "Moonbeam"?
Was it before, or after, he said this:
"The conventional viewpoint says we need a jobs program and we need to cut welfare. Just the opposite! We need more welfare and fewer jobs."
I think before.

Jerry had an identity crisis. In some ways you could call him a hippie, yet he trained in a Seminary for a priesthood of some sort. Then he sorted it all out, and he is who he is.

He's a good and decent person, and worthy of our respect though we might disagree with his views.

Redondo Beach, CA

#215746 Feb 28, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
I know.

Absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#215747 Feb 28, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
The Dave Nelson stepped into a cromlech time portal carrying walmart bags filled with twine, Marlboro cigarettes,:*¨`*The Unknown*¨`*:, paper clips, Universal Logic™, Jesusism, the Magnetonomicron, "energies", do it yourself monolith plans, beer, swine flesh, "thingies", sippy box wine, a couple of Radio Shack® speaker magnets and a cat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 12 min woodtick57 20,570
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Brian_G 40,154
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr _Susan_ 15,727
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 2 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 4,624
A Universe from Nothing? 11 hr Reason Personified 18
Good arguments against Christianity 21 hr superwilly 90
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... Fri Into The Night 175
More from around the web