Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#215447 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"whinging"?
I didn't know I whinging.
I don't even know what whinging means.
Time for a little education

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/whinging

#215448 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You just threatened me with a gun.
But hey, at least you admitted that you fluckered up. Good call.
Please provide evidence that I threatened you with anything or admit you are a liar

Yes, wrong book, it makes no difference to the fact that you were talking total bollocks

#215449 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
At the behest of my master, this conversation is over.
Take this as a win for you and move on.
Entirely up to you, depends if you move on too

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#215450 Feb 27, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Another myth. The are no "Roman Archives" of anything.
We have books allegedly written by Roman authors (none of whom are historians in the modern sense of the word). Also, most "Ancient Roman" manuscripts are from the medieval period.
So you're saying medieval Romans are not modern-day historians.

Thanks. Who woulda' guessed?

#215451 Feb 27, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Another myth. The are no "Roman Archives" of anything.
We have books allegedly written by Roman authors (none of whom are historians in the modern sense of the word). Also, most "Ancient Roman" manuscripts are from the medieval period.
Honey, I have helped catalogue these non existent archives along with corroborating documents.

You may be of the opinion that archaeological discoveries from digs in Roman sites were actually placed in a mediaeval conspiracy then hidden for 20th century archaeologist to find.

Location hidden

#215452 Feb 27, 2014
Piers Morgan's show got cancelled....

Proof there is a god.

Location hidden

#215453 Feb 27, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Please provide evidence that I threatened you with anything...
Does your dreaming of raping me count?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#215454 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"Christians can't be trusted with statistics".
What's your problem with that? It goes beyond statistics. Christians cannot be trusted to be accurate in any discussion involving that which they believe by faith. This is the basis of no longer being willing to read apologetics or trust anything from a faith motivated source.

It isn't necessary for you to agree. It also probably isn't possible. It's just the way it is for a growing number of people that have spent time with apologists and have become familiar with their knowledge bases, their values and their methods. They don't hesitate to make authoritative statements about things that they dally likely to mangle them as on't understand, nor to conceal or distort information, reverse engineer arguments with premises offered as conclusions, and the like.

No, I don't trust statistics from proselytizing Christian. You're equally likely to deliberately misrepresent them as to mangle them. Reputation matters.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Location hidden

#215455 Feb 27, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry that you're offended by being called a Christian, but it wasn't meant as an insult.
Have I told you that you're insane?
Here we go again with the oxymoron.

The 'rational atheist' reverts to gay troll hate attacks when cornered.

Smile.

#215456 Feb 27, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Does your dreaming of raping me count?
Stop dreaming no such dream exists, I have children and I have been raped and so the very thought of you makes me want to vomit

Location hidden

#215457 Feb 27, 2014
<quoted text>
Au contraire. Your prophecies don't seem to be able to convince unbelievers, do they? Only people like you that believe in angels, gods and extraterrestrial visitations find merit in them.
<quoted text>
How are those different? I reject your prophecy, and you've decided that those are grounds for personal attacks.
<quoted text>
Your prophecies are of crap quality, which is why nobody except faith based thinkers regard them as more than mundane parlor tricks.
Sorry to have to describe things that you consider holy and sacred as crap, but that was your doing when you chose to worship crap.
BS.

You didn't explain the prophecies, you ignored them with a scoff.

The rational person was the one who acknowledged their profundity and considers faith.

Once again the oxymoron of a 'rational atheist.'

Smile

Location hidden

#215458 Feb 27, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Is or is not an orientation that NEVER succeeds in effective mating behavior a defect?
<quoted text>
How many times do you need the same question answered?
If you had answered it before, all you would have needed to say is yes or no.

If you can't defend your claim, man up and apologize.

Fennario

#215459 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You will always lump all churches and Christian denominations together as if they're one, won't you? Can't you see the error in that?
Hasn't this been beaten to death already? I gave you my definition of the Christian church and will continue to refer to it like millions of other people notwithstanding your intellectual indolence.

Location hidden

#215460 Feb 27, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop dreaming no such dream exists, I have children and I have been raped and so the very thought of you makes me want to vomit
Then you must vomit a lot.

Fennario

#215461 Feb 27, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
On the historicity of Jesus, Bart Ehrman is the most reliable and credible source on the planet. We can conclude, from evidence, with little doubt, that Jesus is a historical person. Arguments to the contrary expose questionable motives.
Ehrman does the same thing as you just did, Buck. He tells us not just what he has concluded, but what we should conclude as well. Also, he preemptively casts aspersions at those that would disagree with him. It's a red flag. You just don't see that with reliable scholarship. You don't see that in professional papers or textbooks, for example.

Fennario

#215462 Feb 27, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
That is all hearsay so according to IANS and the Topix crew of intellectuals (HA!) it must be rejected.
That is incorrect. Please don't try to speak for me.

Location hidden

#215463 Feb 27, 2014
<quoted text>
Ehrman does the same thing as you just did, Buck. He tells us not just what he has concluded, but what we should conclude as well. Also, he preemptively casts aspersions at those that would disagree with him. It's a red flag. You just don't see that with reliable scholarship. You don't see that in professional papers or textbooks, for example.
As I see it, Ehrman says what he concludes, and the reasons for it, based on evidence.

He also examines the counter argument, and gives the reasons why it doesn't hold water, also based on evidence.

He didn't tell me what conclusions I should draw. If I had good reason to conclude otherwise, I would do so. I don't. I haven't seen anyone who does, based on the evidence.

Fennario

#215464 Feb 27, 2014
In the West, it would be the Christian church. Christianity is authoritarian when it can be. It has no respect for democracy, church state separation, or freedom of expression, and would impose its values on anybody that it had the power to do so. As Heinlein noted, "Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so. The church is also lethal when granted the power to be.
Buck Crick wrote:
The Constitution was ratified as the barrier against a church creed being legislated into law.
It worked, too, for 150 years or so. Then Judges started using it to fight Christmas trees.
I don't mind that as long as they keep the church from repressing freedom and individual rights.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#215465 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, ma'am.
I'll drop it.
Bet you don't.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#215466 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Whinging?
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx...
It seems you are right.
I just figured ChristineMC2 misspelled again....
You're 0 for 3 now, loudmouth.

1. murder rates

2. sex

3. whinging

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min Denisova 16,997
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 7 min Thinking 4,912
The Consequences of Atheism 7 min ChristineM 837
Religiosity 3 hr Thinking 3
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 16 hr thetruth 1,670
Turkey blocks website of its first atheist asso... 16 hr thetruth 3
What evidence make you believe in God/gods? 17 hr thetruth 31
More from around the web